PGT - Devils at Canucks - 12/05/2023

PhillipBlunt

That was a downer of a result. Such a hard push for the comeback but really the game was brutal defensively all around. The two on ones we gave up in the first period were brutal. That was the worst period we have played all year. 

I dont like to jump on players specifically as its a team game but Myers should sit in the press box for a few games. His assist on the Haula goal was incredible. Hughes backed away from him. Scared of him. let him take the puck. The he made the perfect pass right onto Hughes stick bang out front and in the net in one second. Im not sure what its going to take to get the same benching the forwards get but that was awful defensive hockey right there.

The giveaway to Hughes in the last few minutes was awful as well and im not in disagreement with Jack that it should have been a penalty. Maybe even a penalty shot. Myers created that mess. He should sit a few games IMHO.

Lots of talk about Demmers game but he does seem off. That rebound on the GWG was not good and was cleared right to the Devil player, One thing about having a great goalie , you notice when they dont play great. It wasnt his best game by far.

People keep mentioning the loss of Soucy and he has been missed it seems but I also see them missing Suter. Since he went down we are not the same offense. Aman nor Joshua or PDG hasnt been great instead.

Lastly let me say here Hoglander was the best player on the ice in the third. He deserves his promotion to the Miller Boeser  line. he created a couple goals there and deserved his goal as well. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I think they need to get passed by another team or two before they start taking things seriously again.

‘This team gets so satisfied with itself so quickly. 
The unfinished business shirts last camp for a team that had a coaching bump and a hot streak and then came in and blew all those leads because they thought they could just show up and win.  This season they start getting some press and notice and start shitting the bed because the effort isn’t there. 
‘They need to start playing as a team again and listening to the damn coach. 
‘We all knew this game would be pond hockey as neither team has shown any consistency in effort towards D. 
‘Stop looking at your stat line and get back to playing a solid defensive system. 
‘And for all that is holy fix the damn PK. 

Edited by DrJockitch

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Welcome to CFF

Except it isn't just "one loss", it's 15 games of generally sloppy, uninspired, poor play.  I'd say this is a team that is flirting with missing the playoffs again, this time after a red hot start.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 27 Percent said:

I thought demmer was hung out to dry a lot. Especially in the 1st. I think this team got caught up in the "hughes bowl" and got away from their game. Chasing big hits while allowing odd man rushes isn't a recipe for success. 

Nbd on to the next one.

Last thought. 

I never thought soucey would have the impact that he has had on this team. We miss that guy dearly.

Yeah fuck the hughes bowl just play the damn game.

• Like 1

Our 2018 2nd Round Pick is having a good season in the AHL, would be a nice time to call him up. I just want to see at least one NHL game from him.

Also Podkolzin to the team as soon as possible. 

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Shitty loss tonight. I had the best birthday of my life at age 45, and wanted to cap it off with Quinn beating his brothers, watching the game with my boys and my Dad. Ah well…we’re 4th in the league. Still an amazing season, and great time to be a Canucks fan 🙌🍻

unpopular opinion - If we love Petey, we set him free… and take the absolute haul we’d get for him (from an Eastern team).

We have JTM in his prime, and at least one great bottom 6C. Our defence is taking shape…maybe we retool our 2C/3C with the riches from Petey’s return?

Give JT the top line, leading with heart, passion, and legit power forward BDE.

@-dlc- @Grandmaster @Elias Pettersson @JamesB @SilentSam @Darius @Salacious Crumb @Goal_thecup @Goalie29 @I.Am.Ironman @stawns @Gurn @AatuD2 @aGENT @ABNuck @Bounce000 @Ballisticsports @Canuckfanforlife82 @Caboose @D.B Cooper @EdgarM@Fantomex @Fanuck @garthsbutcher @Gassy Jack @Gawdzukes @Hairy Kneel @Hammertime @Harvey Specter @I.AM.THE.WALRUS @John.Tallhouse @J-23 @Jack Fig @PhillipBlunt @Phil_314 @LaBamba @Miss Korea @Mando27 @N4ZZY @Qwags @qwijjibo @Ralph. @Rip The Mesh @Ribs @R3aL @Sophomore Jinx @brilac @NucksFan @Canucks_fo_life @Sabrefan1 @The Duke @UnkNuk @VanCanFan @wai_lai416 @Warhippy @xMagnus @viking mama @canuck73_3@Zippy

@Rocket-68 @Sharpshooter@PeteyBoeser

@Bob Long @MeanSeanBean @Wilbur @higgyfan @RWJC @24K

@Dr. Crossbar @DownUndaCanuck @Down By the River

You're (some of) the members I really enjoy chatting with on here. IF/WHEN you have time, grateful for your thoughts on taking this approach…if Petey is Luke warm on Van, and prefers obscurity/privacy? Just trade him and use the assets for high end 2C/3C? I’m not married to it (just dating it)…does it make sense?

Also just realizing, in real time, what a great community this is. That wasn’t hard to rattle of ~60 names I remember and respect. I have a health issue that affects my memory, so it’s probably over 100!

These boards are special. Got me through my worst lows. 

Thanks!

PS

Who’s the guy from Victoria that loved when I mentioned him twice in a post on CDC? He’s awesome and loves the Macho Man king gif?  I will edit this and mention him3x.

Randy Savage Yes GIF by WWE

If he doesn't want to be here then there's no point in keeping him. I hope he signs for a decent number that we can build around. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

Something I've noticed when we are aging stronger opponents is the Hughes/hronek pair is getting exposed more in our own end.  Against the bottom two thirds of the league they have been able to drive possession and keep it in the other teams end of the rink.  May need to tweak and give them a dpartner with size when matching up against tougher opponents.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I know it's the popular thing to jump on Petey atm. Hes an awesome player. We don't know what his camp is asking for. I'm sure their current ask is less than the ask at the start of the year. It's clear he is not worth 12M, whoever was floating that was out to lunch imo. He's comfortably a 10.5M for me. And really? That's enough. The gillis teams were so successful because the star players were taking discounts and all of that started with the Sedins (the best players). Hughes is on a great contract. If Petey is serious about winning then he should do the same or else its just talk and an excuse for him to leave. If he wants to go then we trade him. If he wants to stay on a reasonable deal then we should be happy to sign him. The 12M players are few and far between (Mcdavid, Matthews, Makar....). There are maaybe 5 in the league worth that. And for EP40, he is too inconsistent, injury prone, and doesn't win enough faceoffs for me to think he is worth that.

• Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 2

4 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Something I've noticed when we are aging stronger opponents is the Hughes/hronek pair is getting exposed more in our own end.  Against the bottom two thirds of the league they have been able to drive possession and keep it in the other teams end of the rink.  May need to tweak and give them a dpartner with size when matching up against tougher opponents.

I agree, seems they brought s ton of speed onto our forecheck and took away time and space for our defense. And then capitalized on simple mistakes. It looked like bantam hockey mistakes. Sergei and Footy have a lot of adjustments to make to counteract this going forward. Jack had that pass to the slot so ready to make because he knew Myers couldn't maintain puck possession. They studied our mistakes were prone to. We ain't catching no one by surprise no mo.

• Upvote 1

Is this all because Soucy and Suter are injured? Do we rely on them that much that we lose the two of them the team falls apart?

What bothers me is the team can't play 60 minutes of solid hockey. Just because you play structured hockey doesn't mean you can't enjoy it?

Everything is off. The passing, the skating, the shooting, timing. And yes even the goaltending.

The team has to get out of this funk, and fast.

• Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, J-23 said:

If Pettersson wants a trade then the organization might be in serious trouble.

The only hope is that another centre also requests a trade from his team. The chances of that happening are not great. Honestly if he wants out we are in trouble, unless we get lucky and trade him for a McTavish player, which has zero chance of happening.

I don’t see how 1st round picks help us in this case, unless we get a 2C and picks. 1st round picks might not be the worst thing though with Nylander, Stamkos and Reinhart potentially going to free agency.

Hopefully Pettersson just signs his extension soon and we find him some top line wingers who can win puck battles.

EDM-Connor-McDavid-e1680898895277.jpg

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Is this all because Soucy and Suter are injured? Do we rely on them that much that we lose the two of them the team falls apart?

What bothers me is the team can't play 60 minutes of solid hockey. Just because you play structured hockey doesn't mean you can't enjoy it?

Everything is off. The passing, the skating, the shooting, timing. And yes even the goaltending.

The team has to get out of this funk, and fast.

We've actually looked liked we were relying on run and gun hockey.  Trying to match goal for goal. Our defensive staples went out the window. 

We can't play shinney hockey whenever we feel like it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 24K said:

Yeah why I said since the summer I don't really care if Petey re-signs or not. Give the feeling he rather be anywhere but the spotlight. 

10 games into the season, NJ might have done a straight Petey for Jack Hughes swap. Now we'd have to throw in a 1st as well!

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Happy birthday my friend.  Haven’t seen you around here in awhile. Hope all is well.

I can say this with certainty.  Petey loves Vancouver and will re-sign here in the summer. 100% guaranteed.  I can’t tell you how I know this as it will reveal my true identity, but “just trust me on this bro”…   😉

Petey IS playing with an injury.  I did confirm this.  It’s nothing major but he should be healed up by Christmas.  You will see the real Petey in 2024 and he will lead us to the Stanley Cup.  I promise…

A promise written in gold .....

image.thumb.png.375aeb5265e89378702402cef7afedb3.png

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 3

8 minutes ago, Googlie said:

10 games into the season, NJ might have done a straight Petey for Jack Hughes swap. Now we'd have to throw in a 1st as well!

In all honestly I would rather have Jack Hughes than Pettersson. Hughes point totals are insane and he's making only what now for 8 years?

7 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Let's look how the core did

Miller - Good

Pettersson - Shit

Boeser - Good

Hughes - Good

Hronek - Good

Demko - Shit

And that's why they lost. They need everyone in the core playing well to beat the good teams.

Especially Demko. He wasn’t even single Bubble Demko. He was old, stale, stored in the fridge for a week Demko.

• Cheers 1