PGT - Devils at Canucks - 12/05/2023

PhillipBlunt

You just knew they'd blow it during regular time lol. Dunno what coaches are thinking deploying Myers in a tie game with two minutes left. Guy was a turnover machine all night.

Ultimately wasn't on for the last goal but was partly responsible for the play being in their end on their last shift they got scored on. 

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Shitty loss tonight. I had the best birthday of my life at age 45, and wanted to cap it off with Quinn beating his brothers, watching the game with my boys and my Dad. Ah well…we’re 4th in the league. Still an amazing season, and great time to be a Canucks fan 🙌🍻

unpopular opinion - If we love Petey, we set him free… and take the absolute haul we’d get for him (from an Eastern team).

We have JTM in his prime, and at least one great bottom 6C. Our defence is taking shape…maybe we retool our 2C/3C with the riches from Petey’s return?

Give JT the top line, leading with heart, passion, and legit power forward BDE.

@-dlc- @Grandmaster @Elias Pettersson @JamesB @SilentSam @Darius @Salacious Crumb @Goal_thecup @Goalie29 @I.Am.Ironman @stawns @Gurn @AatuD2 @aGENT @ABNuck @Bounce000 @Ballisticsports @Canuckfanforlife82 @Caboose @D.B Cooper @EdgarM@Fantomex @Fanuck @garthsbutcher @Gassy Jack @Gawdzukes @Hairy Kneel @Hammertime @Harvey Specter @I.AM.THE.WALRUS @John.Tallhouse @J-23 @Jack Fig @PhillipBlunt @Phil_314 @LaBamba @Miss Korea @Mando27 @N4ZZY @Qwags @qwijjibo @Ralph. @Rip The Mesh @Ribs @R3aL @Sophomore Jinx @brilac @NucksFan @Canucks_fo_life @Sabrefan1 @The Duke @UnkNuk @VanCanFan @wai_lai416 @Warhippy @xMagnus @viking mama @canuck73_3@Zippy

@Rocket-68 @Sharpshooter@PeteyBoeser

@Bob Long @MeanSeanBean @Wilbur @higgyfan @RWJC @24K

@Dr. Crossbar @DownUndaCanuck @Down By the River

You're (some of) the members I really enjoy chatting with on here. IF/WHEN you have time, grateful for your thoughts on taking this approach…if Petey is Luke warm on Van, and prefers obscurity/privacy? Just trade him and use the assets for high end 2C/3C? I’m not married to it (just dating it)…does it make sense?

Also just realizing, in real time, what a great community this is. That wasn’t hard to rattle of ~60 names I remember and respect. I have a health issue that affects my memory, so it’s probably over 100!

These boards are special. Got me through my worst lows. 

Thanks!

PS

Who’s the guy from Victoria that loved when I mentioned him twice in a post on CDC? He’s awesome and loves the Macho Man king gif?  I will edit this and mention him3x.

Randy Savage Yes GIF by WWE

Happy birthday bud.

There is no trade (never say never I guess) that involves Petey that sees this team being competitive in the Miller timeline. I was calling for the approach all along that the team traded both Horvat and Miller for futures, but they didn't do that. By resigning Miller, and likely relocating Horvat to a D entering his financial prime, this is our window whether the team is ready for it or not.

I can't invision any trade that involves Petey that puts this team in a better position to take a run at the cup in the next 2-3 years, which is what I now believe or timeline is looking like. If this franchise wants any chance of succeeding in a cup in this cores timeline, that involved Petey being a major part of this team.

• Huggy Bear 1

Shitty loss tonight. I had the best birthday of my life at age 45, and wanted to cap it off with Quinn beating his brothers, watching the game with my boys and my Dad. Ah well…we’re 4th in the league. Still an amazing season, and great time to be a Canucks fan 🙌🍻

unpopular opinion - If we love Petey, we set him free… and take the absolute haul we’d get for him (from an Eastern team).

We have JTM in his prime, and at least one great bottom 6C. Our defence is taking shape…maybe we retool our 2C/3C with the riches from Petey’s return?

@-dlc- @Grandmaster @Elias Pettersson @JamesB @SilentSam @Darius @Salacious Crumb @Goal_thecup @Goalie29 @I.Am.Ironman @stawns @Gurn @AatuD2 @aGENT @ABNuck @Bounce000 @Ballisticsports @Canuckfanforlife82 @Caboose @D.B Cooper @EdgarM@Fantomex @Fanuck @garthsbutcher @Gassy Jack @Gawdzukes @Hairy Kneel @Hammertime @Harvey Specter @I.AM.THE.WALRUS @John.Tallhouse @J-23 @Jack Fig @PhillipBlunt @Phil_314 @LaBamba @Miss Korea @Mando27 @N4ZZY @Qwags @qwijjibo @Ralph. @Rip The Mesh @Ribs @R3aL @Sophomore Jinx @brilac @NucksFan @Canucks_fo_life @Sabrefan1 @The Duke @UnkNuk @VanCanFan @wai_lai416 @Warhippy @xMagnus @viking mama @canuck73_3@Zippy

You're (some of) the members I really enjoy chatting with on here. IF/WHEN you have time, grateful for your thoughts on taking this approach…if Petey is Luke warm on Van, and prefers obscurity/privacy? Just trade him and use the assets for high end 2C/3C? I’m not married to it (just dating it)…does it make sense?

Also just realizing, in real time, what a great community this is. That wasn’t hard to rattle of ~60 names I remember and respect. I have a health issue that affects my memory, so it’s probably over 100!

Thanks!

PS

Who’s the guy from Victoria that loved when I mentioned him twice in a post on CDC? He’s awesome and loves the Macho Man king gif?  I will edit this and mention him3x.

I'd rather stick with Petey and groom him well under Tocchet than trade him now, we've all seen his promise, he just needs to be more consistent. Maybe he's playing injured, maybe he's just inconsistent, but he's still very young and has shown us that he can be one of the best players in the league, especially when he's on his A-game. I'd rather we try and grow that out than trade him now. Miller is doing extremely well but you just know he's going to slow down at some point. Having the two centers on the same team is quite unreal, one guy in his prime, the other just about breaking into it.

Imagine a trade like Petey + mid-tier defenceman/pick? for Dobson + Brock Nelson though, would be quite interesting...

I'd rather just stick with Petey. Even if he ends up being a consistent 80-90 point player who can defend relatively well and kill penalties, we've got a winner here.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am not as worried as some here. Ya, their playing .500 hockey. We had to expect a fall off from the pace you showed in the first 13 games. I am not shrugging off the recent results but I suspect this pullback will allow the coaches to reinstall the team structure. A little introspection if you will. I thought Miller was bang on in his post game. With the strong start the Canucks have a bit of a cushion. Work through December, get back Soucy and Suter and then an easier schedule. 

Prediction: I would not be surprised to see PA trade Kuz and keep Garland. Kuz has a 39 goal season to drive interest from other clubs. He might think another coach will be more open to his style than RT. I think RT's coaching is what is needed for serious CUP play. I like Kuz and hope he can adjust but the old saying is that it is always about who comes back. 

It's been 15 games of this........how long do you think Tocchet needs to wait?

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd rather stick with Petey and groom him well under Tocchet than trade him now, we've all seen his promise, he just needs to be more consistent. Maybe he's playing injured, maybe he's just inconsistent, but he's still very young and has shown us that he can be one of the best players in the league, especially when he's on his A-game. I'd rather we try and grow that out than trade him now. Miller is doing extremely well but you just know he's going to slow down at some point. Having the two centers on the same team is quite unreal, one guy in his prime, the other just about breaking into it.

Imagine a trade like Petey + mid-tier defenceman/pick? for Dobson + Brock Nelson though, would be quite interesting...

I'd rather just stick with Petey. Even if he ends up being a consistent 80-90 point player who can defend relatively well and kill penalties, we've got a winner here.

He's 25, he's not young anymore.  To me, he just doesn't look happy and he's playing like it.

17 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I am not as worried as some here. Ya, their playing .500 hockey. We had to expect a fall off from the pace you showed in the first 13 games. I am not shrugging off the recent results but I suspect this pullback will allow the coaches to reinstall the team structure. A little introspection if you will. I thought Miller was bang on in his post game. With the strong start the Canucks have a bit of a cushion. Work through December, get back Soucy and Suter and then an easier schedule. 

Prediction: I would not be surprised to see PA trade Kuz and keep Garland. Kuz has a 39 goal season to drive interest from other clubs. He might think another coach will be more open to his style than RT. I think RT's coaching is what is needed for serious CUP play. I like Kuz and hope he can adjust but the old saying is that it is always about who comes back. 

I guess it really depends on how we go further on now. You can sort of separate the season into segments, we had a great first segment, very average segment, but now it depends on how we get on during the next few segments and of course, the final segment. Can't just keep playing .500 for the rest of the season, we have to start getting back to winning stretches.

Thanks!

PS

Not opposed to it in principle, but as always what's the return? 

If we could do something around a Petey for Brady Tkachuk deal I'd be giddy. Brady and JT would be awesome together.

But if it's just a futures oriented deal then no.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

At some point Id like to see Hughes and Hronek each paired up with a solid shutdown D.  Each pair can have their minutes managed.  Right now those guys are playing too much and get exposed when the other team really pushes the play in the D zone.  Imagine if we had a young Chris Tanev playing with one of those guys.

Im not sure what to make of EP.  If he is the center piece of the offence he will need to be more consistent. When the Sedins were roughly his age I remember lots of people wanting to trade them too.  Too inconsistent, too soft etc ...those were the criticisms.  IMHO he is probably a bit injured and ultimately id like to see him with a bigger/heavier winger that can win some board battles and cause chaos in front of the net.    I love Kuz as a character, I think he got a bit lucky last year, but I see him as a Russian Kyle Wellwood.  Loads of skill, but probably not a guy you win a battle with vs big heavy teams like Las Vegas.

Happy Birthday @Huggy Bear

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Here's the thing. Next 5 games, we play

Wild x2

Hurricanes

Panthers

Lightning

Super tough schedule. 

What happens if we come out of the next 5 games 4-1? 

Do we get back to planning the parade route? 

I have no idea why the guys aren't sharp. We thought Horvat was the issue and wasn't a good enough captain to get the team ready. Funny we are seeing the same thing again though. 

Are these guys just lazy? 

NJ goalie was terrible yesterday. With a disciplined game, we would have owned them. 

It defies logic and everything else I've seen recently but I hope they get it together for this homestand and get back to playing really good hockey and surprise us against the better teams. 

Do they have it in them? 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Kuzmenko scored at an unsustainable rate last season(27.5%).  This year he's right around league average (11.6%).  I'd argue this years version is closer to who he actually is. The only way he's going to see a substantial increase in his goal scoring going forward is to increase the number of shots he takes, and thst doesn't really seem to be his game 

• ThereItIs 2

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Here's the thing. Next 5 games, we play

Wild x2

Hurricanes

Panthers

Lightning

Super tough schedule. 

What happens if we come out of the next 5 games 4-1? 

Do we get back to planning the parade route? 

I have no idea why the guys aren't sharp. We thought Horvat was the issue and wasn't a good enough captain to get the team ready. Funny we are seeing the same thing again though. 

Are these guys just lazy? 

NJ goalie was terrible yesterday. With a disciplined game, we would have owned them. 

It defies logic and everything else I've seen recently but I hope they get it together for this homestand and get back to playing really good hockey and surprise us against the better teams. 

Do they have it in them? 

Because hockey fans overrate the importance of the captaincy, they're all adults, shouldn't take designated leaders to keep a bunch of grown men accountable 

15 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Not opposed to it in principle, but as always what's the return? 

If we could do something around a Petey for Brady Tkachuk deal I'd be giddy. Brady and JT would be awesome together.

But if it's just a futures oriented deal then no.

Bambi was a no-show again, I would also be giddy with bringing in Brady Tkachuk. Would be a dream. 

Tkachuk, Miller and Hughes would be really tough to play against.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, 27 Percent said:

I thought demmer was hung out to dry a lot. Especially in the 1st. I think this team got caught up in the "hughes bowl" and got away from their game. Chasing big hits while allowing odd man rushes isn't a recipe for success. 

Nbd on to the next one.

Last thought. 

I never thought soucey would have the impact that he has had on this team. We miss that guy dearly.

Soucy was exactly what this team needed.   Sucks horribly he's out.   

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Play of the night was that beauty little pass by Myers to Jack Hughes in the corner. Right on the tape for a perfect cross ice pass and an easy goal. Myers got robbed by not getting credited with an assist on that baby. 

Brilliant play by Zadorov to abandon the front of the net and go into Myers corner to just watch. Oh and the forward who also just watched and didnt do anything. Yea Myers tried to force a play up the wall, but he sure as hell wasn’t getting any help everyone needs to be held accountable 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Play of the night was that beauty little pass by Myers to Jack Hughes in the corner. Right on the tape for a perfect cross ice pass and an easy goal. Myers got robbed by not getting credited with an assist on that baby. 

What is going on in his head? 

• Sad 1

Kuz and a few others seem to be struggling with Tocs approach. 

I like that ep is willing to throw a check but rather he stick to scoring. 

kuz seens like his confidence  has been Destroyed give that guy a Pepsi and Banana already. 

Myers has been a train wreck since he signed here nothings changed  and garland while he works hard and has next level compete is just to ineffective.

We have no real shut down line that’s great at Center to win key faveoffs. 

it’s been a reality check for the past two weeks at best a .500 hockey club that’s only better when the  goaltending is unreal. 

When puis and soucy return they both balance things out a bit and eat ice time that clearly their replacements can’t handle. 

Edited by Combover
  • Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Kuzmenko scored at an unsustainable rate last season(27.5%).  This year he's right around league average (11.6%).  I'd argue this years version is closer to who he actually is. The only way he's going to see a substantial increase in his goal scoring going forward is to increase the number of shots he takes, and thst doesn't really seem to be his game 

Tried to say this last season.   That the shiny "new" toy,  is far surpassing what he's done so far in this sport.   Was it the EP factor, or just some good old fashioned luck.   Not that he doesn't have value, of course he does.   He's also not getting paid to score close to 40 a season either is he.   

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Thanks!

PS

Happy birthday! Glad you had an awesome night. I'm 50/50 on Petey, if he wants a massive contract to stay I think the Canucks should trade him. If he decides to take a small discount to help the team then you absolutely keep him around. His play this year has been so up and down, like others have said he could be stressed about his contract year.

• Huggy Bear 1