PGT - Devils at Canucks - 12/05/2023

PhillipBlunt

57 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well they looked worse after a practice so maybe rest is what they need more right now.

It seems to be mental mistakes at this point. Myers just can’t play more than 15-16 minutes without his brain completely evaporating.

Yeah we're lucky Giraffe's are one of nature's only animals that can completely re-generate their brain in a 24 hour timespan. All jokes aside I hope everyone is feeling alright today. Tough loss and kind of an ugly game besides being filled with a lot of drama.

Back to the drawing board.

One thing I noticed is that our D was horrendous. Yeah Myers was bad but honestly Hronek had an even questionably worse game. Zadorov made some really poor plays, like that one behind the net he passed right out front for a point blank shot, and the last goal I don't know what Cole was thinking.

Gotta sort that out. I like our additions on D but damn I'm worried about our foot speed. Myers, Zadorov, Cole, and Soucy are all big and prone to being very slow. Myers and Zadorov can skate but their mobility in short spaces is a problem.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

Happy birthday! Glad you had an awesome night. I'm 50/50 on Petey, if he wants a massive contract to stay I think the Canucks should trade him. If he decides to take a small discount to help the team then you absolutely keep him around. His play this year has been so up and down, like others have said he could be stressed about his contract year.

thanks @Mando27.

I like the balanced perspective. Very buddhist (no attachment).

This is the way.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

"Superscout" Fraser & co. seemed to hit a big bump on the road after drafting all those superstars.  Maybe Gillis was their consultant?🥸

😃

To be fair though Gillis wasn't a scout and relied on his team of scouts, and that team never had a top 10 pick except when they picked Horvat at 9

• Cheers 1

I'm not sure about Demko. If he's to continue being our #one, go to man, he should ponder the idea of changing goalie coaches. When it gets to the point,

he zigs when he should have zagged, there's a problem that wasn't that prevalent previously.

I think Pettersson has his next contract on his mind. He's not playing like he truly deserves a hefty raise but that's what he'll want. Very much something to think about.

Zadorov needs more time with the team but hasn't impressed yet.  From a big fellow to a little guy, Hoglander is really coming into a complete player. Great to see.

No question, Miller and Hughes are the backbone of this team! Heart like they have, well, we certainly wouldn't be even where we are, not even close.

Not sure we can trust that Kuzmenko will round into the player Rick wants him to.  Any coach for that matter. It's a lot of money and responsibility to

be on the top line. Personally, The Miller / Boeser line is the top line.

Speaking of Coach Rick, is he still motivating as well as he was?  Plenty of questions right now. It's hard not to think of the haul the team could get for Pettersson.

Guess that will be up to him on two fronts..

3 hours ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I know it's the popular thing to jump on Petey atm. Hes an awesome player. We don't know what his camp is asking for. I'm sure their current ask is less than the ask at the start of the year. It's clear he is not worth 12M, whoever was floating that was out to lunch imo. He's comfortably a 10.5M for me. And really? That's enough. The gillis teams were so successful because the star players were taking discounts and all of that started with the Sedins (the best players). Hughes is on a great contract. If Petey is serious about winning then he should do the same or else it's just talk and an excuse for him to leave. If he wants to go then we trade him. If he wants to stay on a reasonable deal then we should be happy to sign him. The 12M players are few and far between (Mcdavid, Matthews, Makar....). There are maaybe 5 in the league worth that. And for EP40, he is too inconsistent, injury prone, and doesn't win enough faceoffs for me to think he is worth that.

Let's remember this if he goes on a tear.   Personally still think his best comp is Barkov.    Was getting flak for saying that and that should be his range.  Kept bringing up Naslund, who was a multiple first team all-star when he got his 13.6% of the cap, best line in the league.    Not sure how EP should get more than that.    That works out to 11.972 based on 87.7... only way that could work is on an 8 year deal.    I don't think he's worth much more than 10 either.   MT is another recent example, and he's a game breaker, like EP.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

Shitty loss tonight. I had the best birthday of my life at age 45, and wanted to cap it off with Quinn beating his brothers, watching the game with my boys and my Dad. Ah well…we’re 4th in the league. Still an amazing season, and great time to be a Canucks fan 🙌🍻

unpopular opinion - If we love Petey, we set him free… and take the absolute haul we’d get for him (from an Eastern team).

We have JTM in his prime, and at least one great bottom 6C. Our defence is taking shape…maybe we retool our 2C/3C with the riches from Petey’s return?

Give JT the top line, leading with heart, passion, and legit power forward BDE.

@-dlc- @Grandmaster @Elias Pettersson @JamesB @SilentSam @Darius @Salacious Crumb @Goal_thecup @Goalie29 @I.Am.Ironman @stawns @Gurn @AatuD2 @aGENT @ABNuck @Bounce000 @Ballisticsports @Canuckfanforlife82 @Caboose @D.B Cooper @EdgarM@Fantomex @Fanuck @garthsbutcher @Gassy Jack @Gawdzukes @Hairy Kneel @Hammertime @Harvey Specter @I.AM.THE.WALRUS @John.Tallhouse @J-23 @Jack Fig @PhillipBlunt @Phil_314 @LaBamba @Miss Korea @Mando27 @N4ZZY @Qwags @qwijjibo @Ralph. @Rip The Mesh @Ribs @R3aL @Sophomore Jinx @brilac @NucksFan @Canucks_fo_life @Sabrefan1 @The Duke @UnkNuk @VanCanFan @wai_lai416 @Warhippy @xMagnus @viking mama @canuck73_3@Zippy

@Rocket-68 @Sharpshooter@PeteyBoeser

@Bob Long @MeanSeanBean @Wilbur @higgyfan @RWJC @24K

@Dr. Crossbar @DownUndaCanuck @Down By the River

—————

edit :

*damn it, I forgot @Coconuts @Devron. Two of my faves.

And I remembered his name!!!

@Roberts @Roberts @Roberts!

if I say his name two more times, he will appear in the mirror behind me.

——————-

You're (some of) the members I really enjoy chatting with on here. IF/WHEN you have time, grateful for your thoughts on taking this approach…if Petey is Luke warm on Van, and prefers obscurity/privacy? Just trade him and use the assets for high end 2C/3C? I’m not married to it (just dating it)…does it make sense?

Also just realizing, in real time, what a great community this is. That wasn’t hard to rattle of ~60 names I remember and respect. I have a health issue that affects my memory, so it’s probably over 100!

These boards are special. Got me through my worst lows. 

Thanks!

PS

Who’s the guy from Victoria that loved when I mentioned him twice in a post on CDC? He’s awesome and loves the Macho Man king gif?  I will edit this and mention him3x.

Randy Savage Yes GIF by WWE

Happy birthday, Huggy! Hope it was a great one. Too bad we didn't get the win for you.

Right now I'm all about Petey stepping up his game. He's the one who took a harder line on the contract negotiations and wants a winning culture. He needs to do his part. End of story. 

I really don't want us to wind up in an Edmonton or Toronto situation where there's not enough money to address our weaknesses. I'd like to see him take a 4 year deal at less money. Spread the money around so we (and he) can win. 

I do think they'll ger something done and he's not going anywhere. But his consistency needs to be more sustainable to get big money. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Juice said:

This is wrong.

Dakota Joshua cost that goal.

Cole was passing it up to Joshua on the boards to clear. But Joshua isn't able to do so being pressured from behind.

Puck makes it's way to the point, Joshua is following his man back towards the net, gives him a little tap with the stick and then let's the guy go!!

Then Joshua is out there standing in fucking no man's land covering nobody holding his dick!

His man comes around the back of the net and pots in the rebound.

Everyone is covering their man except for him.

Sure, we can say the "failed clear" is what did it. But Cole is trusting Joshua to do his job here. And not once but twice did Joshua fail to do so.

Joshua. Not Cole.

Either way, I don't expect to see Joshua out in the final minute of a close game again any time soon. No doubt Tocchet is kicking himself for that one.

You might be right about Joshua. But I still think Cole could have taken a safer play to clear the puck, like a high "lob" that does not go all the way for icing. Even another icing would have been better.  Instead he basically passed the puck into a puck battle. At that stage in the game I don't think that was the right play. But I am not a coach and I might have the wrong take.

Cap is about to jump 4.2M and folks seriously think Pettersson is gonna take 10M on a shorter-term deal? Come on. Cap increases just lead to players getting big contracts, what players ask for and command rises alongside the cap. 

Canucks are just going to have to fill out their bottom six and bottom pairing on the cheap. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Shitty loss tonight. I had the best birthday of my life at age 45, and wanted to cap it off with Quinn beating his brothers, watching the game with my boys and my Dad. Ah well…we’re 4th in the league. Still an amazing season, and great time to be a Canucks fan 🙌🍻

unpopular opinion - If we love Petey, we set him free… and take the absolute haul we’d get for him (from an Eastern team).

We have JTM in his prime, and at least one great bottom 6C. Our defence is taking shape…maybe we retool our 2C/3C with the riches from Petey’s return?

@-dlc- @Grandmaster @Elias Pettersson @JamesB @SilentSam @Darius @Salacious Crumb @Goal_thecup @Goalie29 @I.Am.Ironman @stawns @Gurn @AatuD2 @aGENT @ABNuck @Bounce000 @Ballisticsports @Canuckfanforlife82 @Caboose @D.B Cooper @EdgarM@Fantomex @Fanuck @garthsbutcher @Gassy Jack @Gawdzukes @Hairy Kneel @Hammertime @Harvey Specter @I.AM.THE.WALRUS @John.Tallhouse @J-23 @Jack Fig @PhillipBlunt @Phil_314 @LaBamba @Miss Korea @Mando27 @N4ZZY @Qwags @qwijjibo @Ralph. @Rip The Mesh @Ribs @R3aL @Sophomore Jinx @brilac @NucksFan @Canucks_fo_life @Sabrefan1 @The Duke @UnkNuk @VanCanFan @wai_lai416 @Warhippy @xMagnus @viking mama @canuck73_3@Zippy

—————

edit :

*damn it, I forgot @Coconuts @Devron. Two of my faves.

And I remembered his name!!!

@Roberts @Roberts @Roberts!

if I say his name two more times, he will appear in the mirror behind me.

——————-

You're (some of) the members I really enjoy chatting with on here. IF/WHEN you have time, grateful for your thoughts on taking this approach…if Petey is Luke warm on Van, and prefers obscurity/privacy? Just trade him and use the assets for high end 2C/3C? I’m not married to it (just dating it)…does it make sense?

Also just realizing, in real time, what a great community this is. That wasn’t hard to rattle of ~60 names I remember and respect. I have a health issue that affects my memory, so it’s probably over 100!

Thanks!

PS

Who’s the guy from Victoria that loved when I mentioned him twice in a post on CDC? He’s awesome and loves the Macho Man king gif?  I will edit this and mention him3x.

It's nice that you got to spend the day with family, and happy birthday to you! 🎂🎈🎁🎀

I think we all wanted to see Big Brother show the other Hughes' what it is all about last night, but it wasn't to be, but we are sure fortunate to have the guy. 

I've said it recently too, the haul we could get for Petey could launch us into the stratosphere, I don't know why some are so afraid of change??? "Lock him up, 8 x $12!!!"....every time I hear that I cringe.

Petey is an amazing player, but he is also an enigma, an individual, a loner, he isn't the balls-to-the-wall leader, with the brute force attitude of JTM, and even Huggy for that matter, who is such a determined player, who works hard, never complains or pouts, and hates to lose (does Petey? maybe not as much?)...looking how Huggy has transformed himself is nothing short of AMAZING...while Petey does his usual mid-season regression. Maybe he's not happy, and selfishly wants out for greener pastures...he wants to be on a winner after all, (his words)....a place that is deserved of him (my words)

We're doing just fine (better) without BoHo, and it would be the same with EP40....we would  get a solid player or two, with a very good couple of picks....I would rather have a Crouse type and a 3C stud, with assets, than one Alien...and when I think core, it's always been Huggy, JTM, and Demmer. 

This roster has come a long way, but it still needs reshaping, and with Petey seemingly taking a hard stance re negotiations, his departure could go a long way to allowing it to happen.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, MikeyD said:

You just knew they'd blow it during regular time lol. Dunno what coaches are thinking deploying Myers in a tie game with two minutes left. Guy was a turnover machine all night.

Ultimately wasn't on for the last goal but was partly responsible for the play being in their end on their last shift they got scored on. 

Myers wasn't on the ice for the winning goal.  It was Hronek and Cole

The early season success is a mirage.

This team is 4-6 after their last 10. Not good enough, not a playoff team. And look who the only teams they beat in those 10 - SJ, SEA, ANA, and CGY. Not even very good teams. 

Canucks better be careful otherwise the Oilers will eventually pass them. 

Thanks!

PS

Despite not being on the list, I'll just drop in anyway... 🙂

Happy birthday @Huggy Bear... Hope you had a blast 🙂🍺

As for Petey, I think he chooses himself, if he wants to stay or go... I think, he is being hung a bit out to dry, because his production has gone down over the last 10+ games, however, we all know that he is capable of refine his form and go on a tear...

Salary wise, who knows, I'm sure both sides have an idea... If he wants more, than JR/PA are prepared to pay, he will be shifted... 

But I have from good sources, @Elias Pettersson that he is staying and will lead us to the SC, so that is good enough for me 😄

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Cap is about to jump 4.2M and folks seriously think Pettersson is gonna take 10M on a shorter-term deal? Come on. Cap increases just lead to players getting big contracts, what players ask for and command rises alongside the cap. 

Canucks are just going to have to fill out their bottom six and bottom pairing on the cheap. 

or don't cave to players seeking massive contracts and go the route that Vegas went instead and spread the cap around more evenly

• ThereItIs 3

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

This is where i hope the prospect pool kicks in.  They need to start cycling in guys they develop (AHL) into bottom pair/bottom 6 players.  Give them some experience and then move them up the lineup and push others out if applicable.    Having a farm system that is on the same page with the big club when it comes to systems/coaching styles will make this even more of a seamless process.  The hope is you can afford more big ticket players in key roles rather than paying through the nose to fill role positions (see Beagle, Schaller etc)

This is one of the areas the org has failed IMHO.  In the past 5-8 years have they developed any D that have stepped in and moved their way up the lineup?

• Cheers 2