[Proposal] Elias Pettersson traded to the East Coast

On 12/6/2023 at 10:43 PM, Nucker67 said:

Sounds like BOS and CGY could be working on something. I heard suggested Hanifin to the Bruins for DeBrusk.

Got me thinking, could the Canucks get in on this?

to BOS - Hanifin

to CGY - Kuzmenko or Garland

to VAN - DeBrusk 

At least with a Debrusk and a Friedman, along with Kevin Bieska we might get some positive news coverage and some support from Bettman that we should win a Stanley Cup. The Refs will have to be fair.

3 hours ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Exploring this idea a little......

To Buffalo:  Pettersson + Myers + [??? a significant pick/prospect] / Pettersson = signed to an extension right away in Buffalo

To Vancouver:  Cozens + Power

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Cozens-Mikheyev

Hoglander-Suter-Garland

Joshua-Bluegar-Lafferty

Power-Hronek

Hughes-Soucy [Just to be clear guys.  Hughes would still be our #1 d-man. This would just be a way of 'spreading the depth']

Cole-Zadorov

Demko

DeSmith

I realize that I'm going into EA Sports territory here but in theory, I do like this idea for the following reasons:

1. We get two young assets signed long term for what will likely be an extremely good cap hit. 

2. We cap our internal cap structure in-tact and in an indirect way, set the culture for this team.  JT Miller would be the highest paid player on the Canucks at 8 million.  There would be no 11-12 million dollar players on our team for a very long time (Hughes would be the next guy, four years from now).  With the internal cap being intrinsically tied to our team culture, the Canucks could invest in more depth and build a very deep team.  

What's in it for Buffalo?  Their team could become a massive free agent magnet, with UFA's possibly even willing to take a discount to be a part of a long term winner.  Why?  Because Buffalo would have both a franchise C (Pettersson) and franchise D (Dahlin) signed long term (the potential drawback being that both players will have a high C.H% relative to the overall team).  

I don’t think they trade both Power and Cozens, maybe a trade like this:

To Sabres - Pettersson + Mikheyev

To Canucks - Cozens + Benson ++

Then = NHL 24 - General Manager 

I would be looking at making the following trade:

To Hurricanes - Kuzmenko ++ or a 1st Round Pick
To Canucks - Pesce

Free Agency Signings if these guys make it to free agency:

Tanev - $3,500,000 for 1 year

Stamkos - $9,250,000 for 2 years

2024/2025 Salary - $87,700,000

Canucks Salary - $87,458,334

Vancouver Canucks

Höglander $1,100,000 - Miller $8,000,000 - Boeser $6,650,000

Benson $950,000 - Cozens $7,100,000 - Stamkos $9,250,000

Podkolzin $1,100,000 - Suter $1,600,000 - Garland $4,950,000

Joshua $1,000,000 - Raty $836,667 - Lafferty $1,500,000

Aman $825,000

——————————

Total $44,861,667

Hughes $7,850,000 - Pesce $6,500,000

Soucy $3,750,000 - Hronek $7,000,000

Zadorov $4,200,000 - Tanev $3,500,000

McWard $925,000

——————————

Total $32,750,000

Demko $5,000,000

DeSmith $2,500,000

——————————

Total $7,500,000

Larsson $2,346,667

——————————

Total $2,346,667

I don’t know if the math is 100% correct.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 2

On 12/6/2023 at 8:40 AM, HKSR said:

To VAN:

Josh Norris

Artem Zub

To OTT:

Elias Pettersson

Tyler Myers ($1M retained by VAN)

Filip Johansson

OTT does this as Petey is a solid upgrade on Norris.  Gives them a 1-2 punch of Petey and Stutzle down the middle for the next decade.  They also acquire a very good prospect in Johansson for development (not far off from NHL services IMO).  Myers moved for cap purposes, but gives them a usable RHD for the remainder of this season.

VAN acquires a very good and young centreman, likely more of a top tier 2C that can play behind Miller.  He's also locked in for the long term.  Artem Zub gives the Canucks the solid 2nd pair RHD they desperately need right now.  The new Tanev for the Canucks.  Defensively one of the best.

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Mikheyev-Norris-Kuzmenko

Garland-Suter-Joshua

Aman-Blueger-Lafferty

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Zub

Soucy-Juulsen/Friedman/Bear (if we sign him)

The only way I'm dealing Petey is if he over-values himself. 

I've stated in another thread that I see him at 9 mil. x 8. A contract that ages well.

Anything more and I would be interested in seeing what teams would be willing to offer.

If Ottawa showed interest, my ask would be Brady Tkachuk, Matthew Joseph and 2 first rounders.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Komodo0921 said:

The only way I'm dealing Petey is if he over-values himself. 

I've stated in another thread that I see him at 9 mil. x 8. A contract that ages well.

Anything more and I would be interested in seeing what teams would be willing to offer.

If Ottawa showed interest, my ask would be Brady Tkachuk, Matthew Joseph and 2 first rounders.

U ain't getting Brady and 2 1sts lol.

Ottawa laughs and hangs up.

I somewhat agree tho on your price. I'd offer 10.25×8 and anymore would result in a trade. 

They'd get a haul. That said I wouldn't entertain the idea of trading EP40 unless a hand is forced.... he's a big part of this core.

On 12/18/2023 at 9:03 PM, Bobby Lou said:

U ain't getting Brady and 2 1sts lol.

Ottawa laughs and hangs up.

I somewhat agree tho on your price. I'd offer 10.25×8 and anymore would result in a trade. 

They'd get a haul. That said I wouldn't entertain the idea of trading EP40 unless a hand is forced.... he's a big part of this core.

So let them laugh.

3 hours ago, Komodo0921 said:

So let them laugh.

They will laugh haha.. Petey is great but he's not worth Tkatchuk AND not 1 but 2... 1sts.  Just calling in how it is. Living in the real world. 

The way Ottawa is trending they're getting a top 10 pick this yr and likely mid teens at worst next. I just don't see in any non fantasy world how Petey returns that in a deal involving said pieces , let's be honest he wouldn't even sign with them if this happened tomorrow which in itself negates the trade.

• Like 1

On 12/21/2023 at 4:58 PM, Komodo0921 said:

So let them laugh.

And let the trade not happen because they laughed and hung up.

What exactly are we trying to achieve here? An actual trade or them laughing at us? They have different outcomes if you didn't realise...

On 12/22/2023 at 1:34 AM, Jeremy Hronek said:

Pettersson + Kuzmenko for Stutzle and Tkachuk

VAN roster minus Demko - OTT roster minus whomever they have in net.   HA HA.  Plus we keep Miller because, well Deb.   And we keep EP.   Oh and QHs.   That's a deal!  BTW, we take your deal and run as fast as we can. High Five Best Friends GIF by reactionseditor

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 1

so what i get out of this thread is EP is not worth xxx amount a year.. and if he refuse to sign for well below market i would trade him for other teams best players throw in a couple 1st on top and if they hang up and laugh so be it?? 

so why would another team pay over the moon for EP and then have to sign him to what some of the anti EP poster here overpriced contract?? 

the original proposal is dumb and stupid as ottawa and buffalo and whatever rebuilding team you guys toss in have 0 chance of re-signing EP as it's pretty well known by now EP won't be signing with any team that have 0 chance of winning.. who's giving you players that are signed long term or A prospects with team control for a player 1 year from ufa?

On 12/6/2023 at 5:44 PM, Alflives said:

We will sign Petey to a 4 year term at 9.5 per. There are other clubs’ fans here fishing, who stir up trouble. 
We should be thankful we didn’t waste picks on Bustkofski and that Bustaroo D whose name is forgettable. Oh, and overpaid a useless Smerferdoodle. 
Alf really hates the Haberdoodles. 

I saw this comment and I was curious if you think if EP40 waits to sign a contract until after July 1st if another team might not want to offer him a lot more. I think this is a possibility. I think teams like Chi have the cap space to go after both EP40 and William Nylander. Bedard Is on an ELC for the next 2 seasons and the Cap is going to keep going up. Chi has 7 UFA's expiring this summer. Chi also has tons of draft picks and could want to hurry up the rebuild plus they already have a sunk cost in Seth Jones not paying dividends right now because the players in front of him are not good.

1 minute ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I saw this comment and I was curious if you think if EP40 waits to sign a contract until after July 1st if another team might not want to offer him a lot more. I think this is a possibility. I think teams like Chi have the cap space to go after both EP40 and William Nylander. Bedard Is on an ELC for the next 2 seasons and the Cap is going to keep going up. Chi has 7 UFA's expiring this summer. Chi also has tons of draft picks and could want to hurry up the rebuild plus they already have a sunk cost in Seth Jones not paying dividends right now because the players in front of him are not good.

If another club puts in an offer sheet on Petey (after July 1, 2024) we will just match. 

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If another club puts in an offer sheet on Petey (after July 1, 2024) we will just match. 

I just feel if he gets to July 1st he gets offer sheeted with big money. 12-13 million The problem this fan base hasn't addressed is the the fact that other GMs in this league probably view EP40 value much higher and the Canucks are not save from those other GMs come July 1st

Edited by CanuckFanForever

3 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

That's not the Question of course they match it but do you think they go bigger then 9.5mill like you said

IMHAO a club would stay under 10,740 mil AAV. But the term would be 6-8 years. So we match and win! 

2 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I just feel if he gets to July 1st he gets offer sheeted with big money. 12-13 million The problem this fan base hasn't addressed is the the fact that other GMs in this league probably view EP40 value much higher and the Canucks are not save from those other GMs come July 1st

Matters not because we just match. 
We no longer have Benning messing up the works.