[Proposal] Elias Pettersson traded to the East Coast

HKSR

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Oh I know. Still smarting over that oversized Steve Bernier clone I think.

We don't know what Allvin and other GM's might cook up. I can tell you Petey won't be lost for a crap return like Benning. Allvin will be proactive.

We will sign Petey to a 4 year term at 9.5 per. There are other clubs’ fans here fishing, who stir up trouble. 
We should be thankful we didn’t waste picks on Bustkofski and that Bustaroo D whose name is forgettable. Oh, and overpaid a useless Smerferdoodle. 
Alf really hates the Haberdoodles. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, J-23 said:

Or McTavish.

If we are going that young then we are moving Hughes, Hronek, Demko, Miller, Boeser, and rebuilding. 
Yhere are no players I’d trade Petey for. When healthy he’s the best in the league. Petey is a 100 point Datsyuk. He’s Sergei Fedorov. He’s a fabulous player. There is zero chance JR/Alvin are so stupid as to trade away an irreplaceable player. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

If we are going that young then we are moving Hughes, Hronek, Demko, Miller, Boeser, and rebuilding. 
Yhere are no players I’d trade Petey for. When healthy he’s the best in the league. Petey is a 100 point Datsyuk. He’s Sergei Fedorov. He’s a fabulous player. There is zero chance JR/Alvin are so stupid as to trade away an irreplaceable player. 

Ya if we trade for Carlsson or McTavish we are NOT rebuilding. That probably means more cap space for top line wingers and defencemen.

Nobody wants to trade Pettersson though, but if he wants out, it is what it is..

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We will sign Petey to a 4 year term at 9.5 per. There are other clubs’ fans here fishing, who stir up trouble. 
We should be thankful we didn’t waste picks on Bustkofski and that Bustaroo D whose name is forgettable. Oh, and overpaid a useless Smerferdoodle. 
Alf really hates the Haberdoodles. 

Fun sized puck sucker, busteroo.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Those would be acceptable. Problem is Carlsson's face off percentage is bad. But he's a rookie. Maybe Noah Warren as well?

Well, I am not even sure the Ducks would accept the offer. 

The biggest question if Pettersson gets traded is why would he sign with a team that’s not going to be a Playoff team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Well, I am not even sure the Ducks would accept the offer. 

The biggest question if Pettersson gets traded is why would he sign with a team that’s not going to be a Playoff team.

He wouldn't, he's made it pretty clear he wants to win 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

He wouldn't, he's made it pretty clear he wants to win 

Well ya, every player wants to win…

At the end of the day, money talks, a small market and 12.5 million dollars might be enough as well.

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Well ya, every player wants to win…

At the end of the day, money talks, a small market and 12.5 million dollars might be enough as well.

Perhaps, but even with Pettersson Anaheim isn't really all that close to being a contender any time soon

They've been patient, they've drafted well, and it's beginning to show dividends, more than likely Anaheim will continue to be patient as their youth take over 

They've shown progress this season but they're also sliding, could be in the mix for another top 10 pick 

Just now, Coconuts said:

Perhaps, but even with Pettersson Anaheim isn't really all that close to being a contender any time soon

They've been patient, they've drafted well, and it's beginning to show dividends, more than likely Anaheim will continue to be patient as their youth take over 

They've shown progress this season but they're also sliding, could be in the mix for another top 10 pick 

I’m not saying Anaheim is the team..

If Pettersson does want out, this could easily be a Gaudreau situation. A small market, little media, but with a big money contract.

Canadian markets are too toxic these days, last season Canucks was probably the worst as well. So I can see this small market thing happening if he wants out. 

Of course to the media he’s going to say I want to win now, but the real question is does he actually want to win now or does he want to play in a less toxic market. This is all just theory based on if he does want out.

At the end of the day, I see a 11.5-12 million dollar contract being signed here. How long? I don’t know.

If he does want out though, a lot of variables to consider and I’m not sure if it’s as simple as he wants to win now. 

3 minutes ago, J-23 said:

I’m not saying Anaheim is the team..

If Pettersson does want out, this could easily be a Gaudreau situation. A small market, little media, but with a big money contract.

Canadian markets are too toxic these days, last season Canucks was probably the worst as well. So I can see this small market thing happening if he wants out. 

Of course to the media he’s going to say I want to win now, but the real question is does he actually want to win now or does he want to play in a less toxic market. This is all just theory based on if he does want out.

At the end of the day, I see a 11.5-12 million dollar contract being signed here. How long? I don’t know.

If he does want out though, a lot of variables to consider and I’m not sure if it’s as simple as he wants to win now. 

It's anyone's guess, I'll give you that

I wouldn't be surprised if there were could be a fit in Dallas tbh but I wonder what they'd give up 

Maybe something around Pettersson for Robertson, it'd bolster them down the middle but hurt them on the wing 

Benn won't be on the books much longer, Pavelski probably won't play til he's 50, Duchene is short-term

Easier to find wingers than center's 

• Huggy Bear 1

35 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

It's anyone's guess, I'll give you that

I wouldn't be surprised if there were could be a fit in Dallas tbh but I wonder what they'd give up 

Maybe something around Pettersson for Robertson, it'd bolster them down the middle but hurt them on the wing 

Benn won't be on the books much longer, Pavelski probably won't play til he's 50, Duchene is short-term

Easier to find wingers than center's 

Ya, I just don’t know.

I don’t think we see two star players getting traded unless they both request out. So if Pettersson wants out another star player better want a trade as well.

Or we are probably getting a deal like:

Buffalo - Cozens, +, +

In any trade, Pettersson is going to be the best player.

Pettersson for Draisaitl?

Things would get interesting if Pettersson requested a trade. This trade would be more significant than the Buffalo-Vegas trade.

Edited by J-23

8 hours ago, J-23 said:

Ya, I just don’t know.

I don’t think we see two star players getting traded unless they both request out. So if Pettersson wants out another star player better want a trade as well.

Or we are probably getting a deal like:

Buffalo - Cozens, +, +

In any trade, Pettersson is going to be the best player.

Pettersson for Draisaitl?

Things would get interesting if Pettersson requested a trade. This trade would be more significant than the Buffalo-Vegas trade.

I just don't see him going to Edmonton though, seeing a Pettersson/Draisaitl trade would also be bizarre for both sides

Hard to see him moving within the division 

I don't think he'll be moved though

• Huggy Bear 1

11 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I just don't see him going to Edmonton though, seeing a Pettersson/Draisaitl trade would also be bizarre for both sides

Hard to see him moving within the division 

I don't think he'll be moved though

Ya I hope he doesn’t get traded and I don’t think it happens either.

However, I am curious to see what the trade offers could’ve been. Obviously Pettersson is going to be the best player in the trade, but still would be interesting to see what the trade offers could be…

• Huggy Bear 1

On 12/6/2023 at 1:49 PM, Jeremy Hronek said:

You know what's funny?  I was actually on the verge of creating a "Pettersson proposal idea" thread earlier today but then deleted it half-way because I didn't think it would fly on here.  With my Laine idea in another thread, I wanted to limit my shitty ideas and so I deleted half-way.

But - having said that, I like your thought process a lot.  Like you said, Norris is signed long term to a good cap hit.   My concern with Pettersson is that if he 'strikes gold' this off-season and gets something north of 11 million, it will be difficult for the Canucks to build depth in their line-up.....the type of depth that wins you a cup (see Chicago, LA, and Pittsburgh from 2010-2017).  All of those teams had relative low C.H% to their top players which allowed these teams to invest heavier in depth.  Ditto for both Boston and Vancouver in 2011.  

The proposal I had in mind from earlier today was Cozens and Power from Buffalo, but your proposal is probably more realistic.  

Exploring this idea a little......

To Buffalo:  Pettersson + Myers + [??? a significant pick/prospect] / Pettersson = signed to an extension right away in Buffalo

To Vancouver:  Cozens + Power

PDG-Miller-Boeser

Kuzmenko-Cozens-Mikheyev

Hoglander-Suter-Garland

Joshua-Bluegar-Lafferty

Power-Hronek

Hughes-Soucy [Just to be clear guys.  Hughes would still be our #1 d-man. This would just be a way of 'spreading the depth']

Cole-Zadorov

Demko

DeSmith

I realize that I'm going into EA Sports territory here but in theory, I do like this idea for the following reasons:

1. We get two young assets signed long term for what will likely be an extremely good cap hit. 

2. We cap our internal cap structure in-tact and in an indirect way, set the culture for this team.  JT Miller would be the highest paid player on the Canucks at 8 million.  There would be no 11-12 million dollar players on our team for a very long time (Hughes would be the next guy, four years from now).  With the internal cap being intrinsically tied to our team culture, the Canucks could invest in more depth and build a very deep team.  

What's in it for Buffalo?  Their team could become a massive free agent magnet, with UFA's possibly even willing to take a discount to be a part of a long term winner.  Why?  Because Buffalo would have both a franchise C (Pettersson) and franchise D (Dahlin) signed long term (the potential drawback being that both players will have a high C.H% relative to the overall team).  

I think we could get Jack and Luke Hughes over here for Petey. And I am not the parents who were not able to show too much excitement for any of them.... Can you imagine if all three were here? Jake Hughes has a good affordable contract. Luke would likely want a bridge deal soon but it would likely bring us past the OEL CAP hit years.

13 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I think we could get Jack and Luke Hughes over here for Petey. And I am not the parents who were not able to show too much excitement for any of them.... Can you imagine if all three were here? Jake Hughes has a good affordable contract. Luke would likely want a bridge deal soon but it would likely bring us past the OEL CAP hit years.

There's no way Petey gets you both Jack and Luke.  Petey alone couldn't get you Jack 1-1.  Jack Hughes has one of the best contracts in the league with his $8 million dollar long term cap hit.  Pettersson on the other hand, will likely get somewhere between $10.5-$11 million, and isn't really a class above Jack in terms of overall talent (even if Petey is better than Jack, it's marginally.....if he is at all).  

• ThereItIs 1

5 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

There's no way Petey gets you both Jack and Luke.  Petey alone couldn't get you Jack 1-1.  Jack Hughes has one of the best contracts in the league with his $8 million dollar long term cap hit.  Pettersson on the other hand, will likely get somewhere between $10.5-$11 million, and isn't really a class above Jack in terms of overall talent (even if Petey is better than Jack, it's marginally.....if he is at all).  

Ok, maybe. But its been stuck in my head since NJ drafted Luke that all three should be here. I guess the point of Jack's contract is that everyone needs to understand that Petterson is not even worth more than JT. Boeser is worth his contract, Kuz shouldnt have gone to the beach on his 2year contract. The worst contract of all is Myers but he is actually earning a new contract albeit at a much lower cap.

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Tusk said:

The delusion is strong in this post. 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

The delusion is strong in this post. 

I think everyone who thinks that Petey is our first line is delusional. Why would a new contract with Petey be more than JT? Brock? Kuzy on the Beach? The same people want to trade the Garlund. If Petey wants to help us win the cup he knows we need cap space.

10 minutes ago, Tusk said:

I think everyone who thinks that Petey is our first line is delusional. Why would a new contract with Petey be more than JT? Brock? Kuzy on the Beach? The same people want to trade the Garlund. If Petey wants to help us win the cup he knows we need cap space.

I was referring to you thinking Pettersson could get Jack and Luke. Lol