[GDT] Minnesota @ Vancouver. Thursday, December 7th, 7pt/10et. Rogers Arena, SNP, SN650... Apparently the 'Goat Edition'.

Chickenspear

37 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

If we're following trends the next 5 teams had better be ready and IF our 1st line shows up as I said after what I 

saw from the Devils game we are more than legit we are a legit darkhorse to win the cup with no joke.

Taylor Swift What GIF

5 minutes ago, stawns said:

Taylor Swift What GIF

LA will be another test but nah fam I love what I see.

The game against Jersey was absent our top offensive unit. That is a fact. They were "there" and yet we pot 5 goals...

If that reverses and guys like Joshua and Hoglander and Blueger (Blueger has been low key amazing), keep trending

we have ourselves a dangerous team thats just how I see things.... calling it like it is. 

Before the Devils game I didn't see a cup contender, now i definitely do. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

The game against Jersey was absent our top offensive unit. That is a fact. They were "there" and yet we pot 5 goals...

If that reverses and guys like Joshua and Hoglander and Blueger (Blueger has been low key amazing), keep trending

we have ourselves a dangerous team thats just how I see things.... calling it like it is. 

Interesting because I think most saw the opposite.  That's the worst game they've played all year, imo.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Shirotashi said:

They are a long way from competing against the likes of Vegas, NYR, LA, Bos, Col, Dal, even Fla...after Lafferty and Blueger, our bottom 6 isn't good enough, we still need a bonafide 3c, and at least one more D....and then there is the top 6, PDG shouldn't be in there, on a top team he doesn't even make the roster.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, stawns said:

Interesting because I think most saw the opposite.  That's the worst game they've played all year, imo.

I agree it was the worst game the 1st line has played all year like they werent really effective forechecking.  I think the metal

of the team was tested against Jersey in ways it hasn't been tested and I like what I saw against a team that has much much better

odds than us to win the cup. That comeback, absent the 1st line, caused me to revise my opinion on them being cup contenders 

or not.

Edited by Shirotashi

1 minute ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

They are a long way from competing against the likes of Vegas, NYR, LA, Bos, Col, Dal, even Fla...after Lafferty and Blueger, our bottom 6 isn't good enough, we still need a bonafide 3c, and at least one more D....and then there is the top 6, PDG shouldn't be in there, on a top team he doesn't even make the roster.

Nah man we aren't that far off. A couple of months jelling, pepper in a few trades and were right there. 

Star Coach: Yes!

Star Goalie: Yes!

Star Centers: Yes!

Star Dmen: YES!

Grit and toughness are a team thing it just needs more time in the oven to jell. We are closer than we have ever been imho its time to be excited.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Shirotashi said:

I agree it was the worst game the 1st line has played all year like they werent really effective forechecking.  I think the metal

of the team was tested against Jersey in ways it hasn't been tested and I like what I saw against a team that has much much better

odds than us to win the cup. That comeback, absent the 1st line, caused me to revise my opinion on them being cup contenders 

or not.

At times they looked so good like they could easily beat Jersey, but every time they turned around the puck was in the back of their net.  Seems like they are trying to figure out how best to play and, for us fans, at least they are teasing us with moments of greatness.  There is reason for optimism.  This season's Canucks fan should be far from crushed and still seeing the potential for greatness for this team.  

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Future Considerations said:

Agreed, been awhile since we've seen a 60 minute dominant performance.  

The game against Dallas at home was their best and most complete 60m - look at their losses - almost each one they had a poor period or two where they gave up multi-goal deficits.  Not too many games they outplayed an opponent and lost - they have a good roster but not elite so need to make it up with hard work (60 minutes) against most teams.  Personally I think they are getting a bit tired as 82 games at the October winning percentage is not sustainable - playing 500-550 until the holiday season probably a more reasonable expectation.

Thursday is a key conference game so definitely need to play the full 60m to be successful - any early lapses at the beginning of the game will not help.

Just Win.jpg

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Jester13 said:

Full 60 minutes of stingy defence like the beginning of the season, please.

Yep. Drive the momentum we got from our 3rd period play vs Jersey last game. If we can do that for a full game, then we're golden! Take it a day at a time; a game at a time. What happened before is done and dusted. Move on to make it happen today.

5 hours ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I think missing Soucy and Suter is hurting the team. But lots of things are off right now. Where did the stingy defense go? Petey is off, Kuz is definitely off, Demko is off but maybe because he's starting too much. Hughes and Hronek didn't look good last game. Petey needs to take the charge if this team is gonna go far. Boeser and Miller can't do it all.

Gee. Do ya' think?!?!?!!?? (Not trying to be rude. Just agreeing and stating the obvious....) Everything you mention above is in part, factors affecting our play. Without facts to back such, (Aside the absence of Soucy and Sutter.) we cannot really know why the play has dwindled. Fatigue perhaps? 

Yea. Maybe some players need maintenance days; as in....Don't play 'em! (Didn't they do maintenance days in the Sedin era?!?!??!?!?) That being said; I don't profess to know the psyche or mind of a professional NHL hockey player. Though it does seem to me that they all want to play! They hate being benched, and hate being healthy scratches!

Tochett. demands a lot from his players; a willingness to defend responsibly, a hard north/south 200ft game. play the right way and such. I totally get it. These are the systems and culture building aspects of a Tochett coached team.

It seems that he wants playoff intensity all the time and he's in his right to demand that. And why not....we've been DF'ing it for too long. 

4 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

A cup contender?!?!??!?! uhhhh......erm......................See below......

4 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

I agree. We haven't even played LA or Bos yet; not till February!  Though we get a glimpse how we stack up against Cup contending teams, when it comes to the actual playoffs, well..........that's a whole different animal. 

As Sophs mentions above, we are lacking in those pieces to make us contenders. An in their prime Nick Bonino or Brad Richards type would work. But who is that and what will it cost. 

I love PDG. Sadly, I agree with Sophs here. He doesn't cut it as a top six. I get that we're trying things out with what we have in the farm to save cap space. The Canucks it seems, do this often. It's like Kyle Burrows, a depth D-man here, and he's now on the #1 pairing in San Jose; plus he's on the 1st group PP??!?!?!?!? You know what I mean. It's not out of the norm for our Canucks to acquire lesser, if you will, players and play 'em in upper positions; out of necessity or whatever.

Another D? Yep. I realize Bear's in the works, but is he the guy? He's undersized, but it'll be good to have him over Juulsen. However, Juulsen's getting better. Hmmmm......

At the end of it all as of now, we're playoff bound and can do damage. But our quest for Lord Stanley will have to wait.

• Cheers 1

Win or lose, just want to see a better effort and a team game again. 

We just don’t seem to be playing as a group anymore. 
‘The aggressive forecheck with support that is the core of Tocchet’s system just hasn’t been there. 
‘When we were flying other coaches took notice and made some adjustments. Coaches with tape on your team is hardest thing in NHL to get over. We haven’t been able to readjust and the level of effort has waned. That is what young teams do.  Too bad we aren’t that young a team. 

Edited by DrJockitch
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

We won't even face the juggernauts of the East/West until February.  Bruins is Feb 6/24, and then the first game against the Kings is on... leap year (29th).  Teams will be banged up by then and no doubt the competing teams will be jockeying for better playoff positions.

As for tonight, it's just a matter of stopping their run.  Just like Edmonton, the Wild are enjoying a little winning streak from their new coach.  They're 4-0 since Hynes took over.

7 hours ago, stawns said:

Certainly one of the worst periods  ..... but how can fighting back from a 5-2 deficit to tie 5-5 (albeit giving up that 6th) warrant a "worst game" label?

Had we scored that 6th goal, and won, it would have earned a "great game" description.  Such a fine line.  On such little things are legends made 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Googlie said:

Certainly one of the worst periods  ..... but how can fighting back from a 5-2 deficit to tie 5-5 (albeit giving up that 6th) warrant a "worst game" label?

Had we scored that 6th goal, and won, it would have earned a "great game" description.  Such a fine line.  On such little things are legends made 

They had no structure, no discipline and no cohesion.  The only reason they fought back is because the Devils play no defense.  Worst game they've played all year, imo.  That was a "hope for a top 5 draft pick" team that showed up.

• Upvote 1

Just now, stawns said:

They had no structure, no discipline and no cohesion.  The only reason they fought back is because the Devils play no defense.  Worst game they've played all year, imo.  That was a "hope for a top 5 draft pick" team that showed up.

Actually worse game Demko played all year. Demko has struggled his last few starts. When Demko gets going agsin the club will dominate.