[GDT] Minnesota @ Vancouver. Thursday, December 7th, 7pt/10et. Rogers Arena, SNP, SN650... Apparently the 'Goat Edition'.

Chickenspear

21 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

If EP40 selfishly has that mindset (I think he does, he's not exactly a likeable, personable guy, rather he's standoffish and snobby), then he can make like a goose and flock off! No one is above the team.

It's shocking to see how many people are turning on Petey already. 

Wild that we haven't learned yet that Swedish players are much more reserved and contain their emotions which to North Americans comes across as cold and uncaring. Same narrative happened in Naslund and the Sedin's careers. 

He's producing, but lacking in other areas of his game at the moment. He's working on it and just because he isn't loud, talkative and smiley all the time some Canucks fans are ready to dump the literal best draft pick we've ever had. 

Instead of these reactionary takes about dumping our 1C in a time when we are pushing for playoffs, maybe let's give the team some time to build on their goals. Last year was a dumpster fire and they had pretty much a full organization reset. This year we were hoping to be a fringe playoff team maybe, instead they had an incredible start and have cooled off a bit now. 

Just chill. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Gotta get back to the "staples" as Tocchet calls it.

Stingy defense, good puck management, full efforts on the forecheck and backcheck, and keeping teams on the outside. Just get back to those staples, Im not expecting a W until we start seeing a proper process from this team. Its been lacking in the last 12-13 games. At this point, this shouldn't be a surprise anymore or feeling out of the system, they know what they need to do.

This is now on the players to hold themselves to a higher standard.

The problem is ...

High standards are hard. Low standards are easy.

Need to hold firm on the staples.

I was at the game against New Jersey and yes, we have a playoff caliber team. What was on the ice 2 days ago was not playoff caliber mental game - I won't go into a rehash of what many posters here have articulated better than I could in this thread. 

Let in 6 goals a game and the Salad Days Oilers from the early 80's don't win a cup, never mind 4. Myers, I love / hate equally game in and game out, warmed my heart for about 6 games in a row. Now, well that is a $6M problem JR won't solve this season, but it will solve itself once this season is over.

3 out of the 6 goals scored were clear breakdowns of coverage, that I could see from above, frosting both Tocchet's and Foote's twinkies - especially the 6th goal. So who is that on? Coach would be my vote. Bench the ones that don't buy in, but then the fans rip Tocchet.

I have faith in this team and more importantly the coaches ... but I would be the first to vote jettisoning Kuz and anyone else that doesn't buy in 100%, we'll perhaps a bit harsh... 75%.

As an aside, Miller and Hogz played great last game ... more top 6 for Hog, please, he earned it.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

Kuz will play. 

So, is the line-up set? I've seen comments that he isn't playing and I thought I saw a tweet saying he's on the fourth line?

Or do they have a designated PP spot in the Western Conference? 😁 Rob Schremp might have made it after all.

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Ahh, KUz in.

There you go Rick, figure out a way to use that talent.

If we miss the playoffs will Toch be fired?

Nah, JR/PA may still have work to do. Tocchet is getting as much as he can out of these players. Only so much you can get out of Juulsen, Friedman and Aman. Management is invested in Tocchet, so I think they'll give him a long leash.

IMO, these players need to be much better if they want playoffs:

Pettersson

Kuzmenko

Garland

Di Giuseppe

Myers

Demko

Maybe they trade some before then.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Dr. Crossbar said:

Doesn't look like he has a problem with what he needs to do. He gets it. Good attitude. 

Honestly it’s the media and the fans that make a big deal out of it.

Tocchet is simply trying to get his game to a level that will translate to winning in playoff style games. It’s not always gonna be a smooth transition but he seems to get it.

Not sure what him and his agent would have to complain about. If he was producing you could look the other way but he hasn’t been. There’s no a coach in the league that wouldn’t have the same expectations. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Tocchet is simply trying to get his game to a level that will translate to winning in playoff style games. It’s not always gonna be a smooth transition but he seems to get it.

Not sure what him and his agent would have to complain about. If he was producing you could look the other way but he hasn’t been. There’s no a coach in the league that wouldn’t have the same expectations. 

agreed, though I don't actually think Kuz has been bad or even disengaged.  I think Petey and Mik became the primary pair on that line and Kuz simply wasn't getting the scoring opportunities he had last season.....early on at least.  Honestly, if I were the GM I'd probably be looking to move Kuz for a top 4 dman, but because he's a good player and has good value, not because he's playing poorly.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Agree completely. Well said. It's funny how the narratives run in here ... as if Tocchet is doing something horrible to Kuzmenko when this is all designed to make him a better all around player. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Proof will be in the pudding tonight though. I hope he can become more of an all round player. Asking plenty but I think the team and the coach are rooting.

I believe he can. It will only happen through adversity. It's going to take some time. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Nah, JR/PA may still have work to do. Tocchet is getting as much as he can out of these players. Only so much you can get out of Juulsen, Friedman and Aman. Management is invested in Tocchet, so I think they'll give him a long leash.

IMO, these players need to be much better if they want playoffs:

Pettersson

Kuzmenko

Garland

Di Giuseppe

Myers

Demko

Maybe they trade some before then.

Just now, stawns said:

I don't see them firing yet another coach at this ppint.  I think RT has some wiggle room here

I find it unacceptable that a coach with this talent in front of them couldnt make the playoffs.

I see his assignment as a nepo-hire, with hopes he can develop into a good coach. If he cant figure out a way to get into the dance with this squad then he has not become good enough,.