Confessions

RWMc1

On 12/11/2023 at 5:41 PM, gwarrior said:

I'm at home right now, I don't know how my mom is staying at my grandma's place. But thanks for the advice. I guess, in a way I'm lucky. I'm 36 and haven't had to go through this before.

Well, I don’t know if I would call that lucky so much as I would say luckier. Both my grandparents passed by the time I was 21 and it was very tough. My grandfather had Alzheimer’s/dementia and my grandmother had a tumour in her brain. She outlived him but not long after moving into a seniors care facility, she passed. I’m still not over it and it was more than 20 years ago. Then my younger brother passed away over 9 years ago from pneumonia. That destroyed me mentally for a long time. For a good 4 years after that I was drunk and stoned all the time and it didn’t help. I had this black cloud hanging over me that always came back when I was sober. I eventually quit drinking altogether 5 years ago but in the previous 4 years I only drank sporadically and never got drunk. I still smoke pot from time to time, but that’s it. 

• Huggy Bear 3
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I've only ever been to one Canucks game, it was back during the later 2010's and we won against Nashville. A buddy had tickets for him and his girlfriend but he'd overdone it drinking the night before and was sick as a dog, my brother and I had to scramble and get our asses on a ferry last minute and cut it pretty close timewise. 

I don't live on the island right now, I'll go back within probably 3-4 years, but when I lived there I rarely left it for anything. I'd hop on the ferry maybe 2-3 times a year (round trip). Leaving the island for anything is a pain: if you want to take a vehicle you get gouged both ways, if you wanna stay it gets even more expensive, and then you're eating and all that other stuff, Canucks games were ultimately more expensive than they were worth at the end of the day. Day trip Canucks games were only really feasible when there were earlier starts and I just couldn't be bothered. 

If I'd lived on the mainland I'd have likely gone more frequently. 

I have been to 5-6 games but it's just too damn expensive now.  Between the ferry....hotel...tickets...food...beer...it's $1000 min just to go to a game.  I always stay at The Hampton Inn downtown directly across from BC Place.  So a short walk for the arena.

Whenever I do come it is for 2 days.  One of my good friends lives there so one of the days would be a pub crawl all over downtown..  We would start at Funky Winkerbeans and go from there all over hitting 10-12 pubs.  Used to love Jimmy's Taphouse on Robson but it closed down.

When I had my bad concussion from work.....Worksafe BC sent me to a concussion clinic on Abbott St downtown and put me up in a hotel(The Hampton) for 8 weeks in the summer of 2010.  Clinic did me no good and it sucked to be away from my family but I made the best of it thx to my friend.

Edited by The Arrogant Worms
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Well, I don’t know if I would call that lucky so much as I would say luckier. Both my grandparents passed by the time I was 21 and it was very tough. My grandfather had Alzheimer’s/dementia and my grandmother had a tumour in her brain. She outlived him but not long after moving into a seniors care facility, she passed. I’m still not over it and it was more than 20 years ago. Then my younger brother passed away over 9 years ago from pneumonia. That destroyed me mentally for a long time. For a good 4 years after that I was drunk and stoned all the time and it didn’t help. I had this black cloud hanging over me that always came back when I was sober. I eventually quit drinking altogether 5 years ago but in the previous 4 years I only drank sporadically and never got drunk. I still smoke pot from time to time, but that’s it. 

Poor phrasing on my part there. I should have said luckier, you're right. But yeah it's rough. And my aunt constantly fighting with my mom over shit REALLY isn't helping.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I've only ever been to one Canucks game, it was back during the later 2010's and we won against Nashville. A buddy had tickets for him and his girlfriend but he'd overdone it drinking the night before and was sick as a dog, my brother and I had to scramble and get our asses on a ferry last minute and cut it pretty close timewise. 

I don't live on the island right now, I'll go back within probably 3-4 years, but when I lived there I rarely left it for anything. I'd hop on the ferry maybe 2-3 times a year (round trip). Leaving the island for anything is a pain: if you want to take a vehicle you get gouged both ways, if you wanna stay it gets even more expensive, and then you're eating and all that other stuff, Canucks games were ultimately more expensive than they were worth at the end of the day. Day trip Canucks games were only really feasible when there were earlier starts and I just couldn't be bothered. 

If I'd lived on the mainland I'd have likely gone more frequently. 

8 hours ago, LionofJudah said:

Ive also only ever done one canucks home game. I'm from ontario, I went on a whim. I had just been laid off work and had time and money. I checked Ticketmaster to see if there was any seats, there were loads. I said I was going and booked a cheap flight for like 5am game day. Landed about 1pm in abbotsford, got a rental car and drove around Van. until 3 when we could check into a cheap room. Went to the game on like zero sleep. Went to the hotel afterwards for the night. Had to be at the airport for 7am the next day.

Best decision ever, but I hear you as it was expensive. Now they don't really have cheap Airlines tó fly out that way so its only even more expensive now. 

I used to go to every Buffalo game when the canucks were in town. Its a great arena but the atomsphere of a home team, home game is just unmatched. Now I know how the sabres fans feel when they go to home games haha. Maybe ill find myself lucky again when the canucks roll into town and can see another game.

I've been to a few home games (the benefits of being friends with STH), but I've ever only been to one away game, which was in the Saddledome.  I almost went on a second one many years later - there was a promotion by either the LA Kings or some group affiliated with them, whereby you could purchase tickets for the game and then show up across the street after the game and catch a Tragically Hip "intimate gathering" live show (ticket was valid for both).  I wanted to find someone to go with me to help share the cost of the hotel room (because I was kind of broke at the time), but no bueno, so I ended up having to give up that opportunity.  Flight was relatively cheap (I think I could've flown round trip for like $150) and the tickets for the "game and Hip" was crazy cheap (like $20 or $25) - but rooms for the night for anywhere nearby was like $300 per night, and while I probably could've winged it by throwing it onto my credit card and paying it off in bits and pieces, I wasn't too keen on going by myself and footing all the costs by myself.

Now that I have a bit more disposable income, I might considering doing something like visit all the NHL rinks (ideally in-season, and even better if it was a Canucks away game).  But that's a different discussion for another day.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Seriously tho, making this big a change at our advanced age isn't easy. Good one.

Thanks a lot man.

It's been a bit of a process and I almost backed out a couple times. Excited now though, feel young again. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Finally feeling ok for the first time in a couple weeks. But come Wednesday, we are doing a viewing for my grandma. I don't think I can participate in it. But I'll be there. But, I've started feeling ok, and I have a feeling I'm going to feel like I've been kicked down the stairs again.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

33 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Finally feeling ok for the first time in a couple weeks. But come Wednesday, we are doing a viewing for my grandma. I don't think I can participate in it. But I'll be there. But, I've started feeling ok, and I have a feeling I'm going to feel like I've been kicked down the stairs again.

Don't let anyone convince you there's only one right way to do this stuff. Do what feels right for you in these times.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, gwarrior said:

I never viewed my Mom or Dad.

Just couldn't do it.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

53 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I don't really bother with Christmas any more

I hear you. I worked at costco for 12 years, and the really beat the Christmas spirit out of me. In july, the xmas shit is out. When it comes down, we are putting our xmas shit up. So I saw xmas decorations for, had to be, 8 months a year. Now, I just don't care, and especially this year I don't care.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

In my books, and take that for what it's worth. If Christmas could JUST be about getting together with family and friends, and just have a good time. I'd be SO down with that. But, it's become so materialistic. Look at the BIGGER picture!!!! I'm just done. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, luckylager said:

Can you please start pulling people over for driving lower than the speed limit in the left lane?

Haha, I'm going into Corrections but man do I hear ya. They need to throw the book at those drivers!

• Vintage 1