Confessions

RWMc1

54 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I won't graduate til sometime next year but I'm honestly not looking forward to it, because that's when school ends and work life begins 

I'm not passionate about social work, but I've never been passionate about jobs or working in general, there's never been anything that's jumped out as something I avidly want to do 

At this point I question whether I want to do social work at all, or whether graduating will mean I'm actually qualified to do so, or whether I'll just end up using my schooling to open other doors

The doubts and uncertainly are bothersome, it's taken years of my life and a good amount of money to get to this point and I'm not even sure I want what I've signed up for anymore, I'll learn about this or that and think "well, learning about this just makes me not want to do it"

It's been an ongoing thing I've mentioned to profs and classmates, I don't know what I want and I'm not sure whether I believe I can be effective at the role I've been pursuing either 

I've little interest in participating within the economic rat race but that's the world we live in, I have to make money

There are some people who end up in a career that is not relevant to their degree (but you can argue that you may still be able to apply what you learned in school to any job). You may end up in a completely different career or you may discover that you really like social work and want to stick with it. If you end up working for MCFD/government, that may open doors for you to move into a different department/ministry within public service (if that's what you want). 

It's natural to have doubts and uncertainties. But I think there are also lots of opportunities for you, so stay positive. 🙂 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

doing 'social work' with people can be very, very draining:

Do not take other people's bad days, weeks, months or lives home with you. 

Perhaps establish some sort of 'time out' for yourself, before you  even get into the car to go home. Maybe a walk around the block, or 5 minutes sitting on a nearby bench watching birds or trees.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Part of it is that the more I learn about social work, the more heavy and significant it all seems, at the end of the day it's about individuals, groups, and their lives and that's not insignificant or something to take lightly 

I'm hoping that my fourth year practicum, and my work experience between now and then, will help ease some of my doubts

I've spoken to people who are convinced I could be excellent in this field, and that it's a natural fit, but I suppose on some level I'm not sure I believe that myself 

On some level I'm also scared of having put so much into something and not being able to do it effectively, but most folks want to perform their roles effectively one way or another 

In my experience, anyone who already cares this much about their job is ahead of the pack. It is scary when you are part of something significant. I've never done consulting for families, but I have put my ass on the line for companies and yeah, its freaky when you start out. 

I also believe that there is no wasted education, if you find this isn't the path right now, thats fine, its leading to what you really want. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

There are some people who end up in a career that is not relevant to their degree (but you can argue that you may still be able to apply what you learned in school to any job). You may end up in a completely different career or you may discover that you really like social work and want to stick with it. If you end up working for MCFD/government, that may open doors for you to move into a different department/ministry within public service (if that's what you want). 

It's natural to have doubts and uncertainties. But I think there are also lots of opportunities for you, so stay positive. 🙂 

That's what I keep trying to remember, success or failure isn't necessarily dictated by whether I play the role of social worker or not. There will be lots of doors. 

Thanks for normalizing the doubt and uncertainty though, it is normal, but our feelings don't always line up with reality. 

21 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Perhaps establish some sort of 'time out' for yourself, before you  even get into the car to go home. Maybe a walk around the block, or 5 minutes sitting on a nearby bench watching birds or trees.

Yeaaaaah, it's def not going to be easy. I can see why it has such a reputation for burnout. I've always wanted a strong separation between work and personal life, boundaries are going to be very important. Self-care too. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

In my experience, anyone who already cares this much about their job is ahead of the pack. It is scary when you are part of something significant. I've never done consulting for families, but I have put my ass on the line for companies and yeah, its freaky when you start out. 

I also believe that there is no wasted education, if you find this isn't the path right now, thats fine, its leading to what you really want. 

Yeah, you're right about that, if it didn't matter to me I wouldn't care so much about it. I wouldn't fret, worry, ect. It's normal for things to be scary, at least to some degree. The old cliche is nothing grows in a comfort zone, but most people don't really enjoy being uncomfortable. 

And you're not wrong, I'm a much more well rounded person because of the education I've undertaken and while I don't think I was a shitty person beforehand, I wouldn't want undo that growth. 

• ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, Gurn said:

That's something I struggle with, and the main reason why I did not pursue social work.  

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's what I keep trying to remember, success or failure isn't necessarily dictated by whether I play the role of social worker or not. There will be lots of doors. 

Thanks for normalizing the doubt and uncertainty though, it is normal, but our feelings don't always line up with reality. 

Yeaaaaah, it's def not going to be easy. I can see why it has such a reputation for burnout. I've always wanted a strong separation between work and personal life, boundaries are going to be very important. Self-care too. 

It's definitely normal to feel that way, especially when you're facing major changes. Everyone has doubts about their ability, future, whatever at some point or another. But just keep pushing on and remember that there are many doors and windows of opportunity. And you don't have to stick to one career path just because you went to school for it. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Yeah, you're right about that, if it didn't matter to me I wouldn't care so much about it. I wouldn't fret, worry, ect. It's normal for things to be scary, at least to some degree. The old cliche is nothing grows in a comfort zone, but most people don't really enjoy being uncomfortable. 

And you're not wrong, I'm a much more well rounded person because of the education I've undertaken and while I don't think I was a shitty person beforehand, I wouldn't want undo that growth. 

maybe to ease your mind a bit, could it be worthwhile talking to a recruiter? maybe there's some kind of adjacent possible job you never considered in another industry? even just knowing what other options could be out there might be a good exercise? 

• Cheers 1

@Coconuts - there's an assertion that I was taught during my university years that goes (paraphrased): "What you get from a university education is to learn how to learn; grade school education is just to set the foundation and learn the basics, but university teaches you how to research and think independently"

It took me many years to really understand what that assertion meant, and even longer to see it finally in action.

If you find that after your practicum that social work isn't your thing, don't worry about the education being wasted - you'll have picked up important skills and modes of thought (hopefully) from your university education that will serve to be useful regardless of what career you pursue.

(side note - I graduated with an engineering degree but have been doing accounting-related work since graduation)

Good luck!  I'm sure you'll do well in any career you choose.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

My son got a degree in Political Science because he wanted to be a lawyer then decided against it.  But his degree got him a job at the CRA even though he had no real background for them to hire him.

• Cheers 1

@Coconuts

We have a few social workers at the Prison. They are great folk that seem pretty happy. There are a few different areas that could appeal to you. You dont need to become an officer however if you did, you could also look at a position in case management... working on programs and release plans for/with the residents. There is also complex care but that can be tough in many ways. A great area is an open living housing called Guthrie Therapeutic Community that could be a fit. Nanaimo, as I am sure you know, is just completing a new 200+mil ( over budget) prison. It's state of the art and will house all different security levels. 

As Psylocke mentioned MCFD is a option too, my wife works for them. IMO, that is heavier social work but she says they are a good crew and it's very rewarding. 

DM me if you want anymore info.

Good luck. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I won't graduate til sometime next year but I'm honestly not looking forward to it, because that's when school ends and work life begins 

I'm not passionate about social work, but I've never been passionate about jobs or working in general, there's never been anything that's jumped out as something I avidly want to do 

At this point I question whether I want to do social work at all, or whether graduating will mean I'm actually qualified to do so, or whether I'll just end up using my schooling to open other doors

The doubts and uncertainly are bothersome, it's taken years of my life and a good amount of money to get to this point and I'm not even sure I want what I've signed up for anymore, I'll learn about this or that and think "well, learning about this just makes me not want to do it"

It's been an ongoing thing I've mentioned to profs and classmates, I don't know what I want and I'm not sure whether I believe I can be effective at the role I've been pursuing either 

I've little interest in participating within the economic rat race but that's the world we live in, I have to make money

I graduate next year too. I really enjoy college, and I strive to do the best I can. When I went to college the first time, I was 17. I was young and had different priorities. 

I don't like answering the question - what are you going to do when you graduate? Why do people ask that? I am like  - I don't set things in stone, I will see what happens. How do I know how the future is going to turn out? 

Currently I am at a job that pays well, and I am learning a lot there. 

These days, it more about money for me. With the high cost of living, living alone, and living the life I want and being able to afford the things in life I want, money is the focus. It was not always like that. In my young 20s I worked two jobs at once and at different times to make ends. 

• Cheers 2

On 3/14/2024 at 1:04 PM, Psylocke said:

That's something I struggle with, and the main reason why I did not pursue social work.  

It's definitely normal to feel that way, especially when you're facing major changes. Everyone has doubts about their ability, future, whatever at some point or another. But just keep pushing on and remember that there are many doors and windows of opportunity. And you don't have to stick to one career path just because you went to school for it. 

It's tricky to navigate, separation isn't always possible and the reality is vicarious and secondary trauma can, and will, influence the lives of human service professionals. 

On the other hand, generalist human service education is likely widely applicable as you've said. 

I've never really been a person who ties their job to their identity, maybe that'll make it easier to bounce around if needed. Social work, or whatever I end up doing, is ultimately a means to an end, and if I can help folks in meaningful ways along the way that's great. I admire the more passionate classmates I've had over the years, but while passion and heart are important things the world doesn't run on em. 

How enmeshed one becomes in their role is a tough thing to navigate, and when partnered with a lack of organizational and personal support, it can definitely lead to burnout. 

On 3/14/2024 at 1:39 PM, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

@Coconuts - there's an assertion that I was taught during my university years that goes (paraphrased): "What you get from a university education is to learn how to learn; grade school education is just to set the foundation and learn the basics, but university teaches you how to research and think independently"

It took me many years to really understand what that assertion meant, and even longer to see it finally in action.

If you find that after your practicum that social work isn't your thing, don't worry about the education being wasted - you'll have picked up important skills and modes of thought (hopefully) from your university education that will serve to be useful regardless of what career you pursue.

(side note - I graduated with an engineering degree but have been doing accounting-related work since graduation)

Good luck!  I'm sure you'll do well in any career you choose.

Thanks, I appreciate it! You def pick up skills along the way, sometimes it's tough to see those soft skills when you're still in academia mode though. 

21 hours ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

My son got a degree in Political Science because he wanted to be a lawyer then decided against it.  But his degree got him a job at the CRA even though he had no real background for them to hire him.

That's awesome! I suppose part of finding opportunities is being open to the the reality that more unconventional doors can, and may open. 

21 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

@Coconuts

We have a few social workers at the Prison. They are great folk that seem pretty happy. There are a few different areas that could appeal to you. You dont need to become an officer however if you did, you could also look at a position in case management... working on programs and release plans for/with the residents. There is also complex care but that can be tough in many ways. A great area is an open living housing called Guthrie Therapeutic Community that could be a fit. Nanaimo, as I am sure you know, is just completing a new 200+mil ( over budget) prison. It's state of the art and will house all different security levels. 

As Psylocke mentioned MCFD is a option too, my wife works for them. IMO, that is heavier social work but she says they are a good crew and it's very rewarding. 

DM me if you want anymore info.

Good luck. 

I've heard of Guthrie, but only loosely, I'm not sure if it still exists but prior to Covid there was something called an inside/out program that brought both inmates and students together in a rather unique way. Maybe it continued throughout Covid, but I could see technology having been a barrier to it's continuation. 

MCFD sounds tough, but you never know. I've never been interested in doing child protection work though, so that might be a deal breaker. That's the role that most folks think of when they hear social work, but it's also one of the roles with the highest rates of burnout. 

19 hours ago, brilac said:

I graduate next year too. I really enjoy college, and I strive to do the best I can. When I went to college the first time, I was 17. I was young and had different priorities. 

I don't like answering the question - what are you going to do when you graduate? Why do people ask that? I am like  - I don't set things in stone, I will see what happens. How do I know how the future is going to turn out? 

Currently I am at a job that pays well, and I am learning a lot there. 

These days, it more about money for me. With the high cost of living, living alone, and living the life I want and being able to afford the things in life I want, money is the focus. It was not always like that. In my young 20s I worked two jobs at once and at different times to make ends. 

I get that, there's so much up in the air and in the end life will do what it do. The reality is most of us don't have nearly as much control over our own lives as we'd like to think, sometimes you've just gotta take things as they come. Hell, a lot of the time we have to. 

Not gonna lie, money was the biggest driver for me pursuing my bachelors in the first place. You don't get into human services for the money, but it has to matter, and it does whether folks want to admit it or not. Of course getting paid, and what we're getting paid, matters. My time as a support worker gave me a firsthand view of how entry-level front line workers don't make nearly enough. Some folks would be astonished at what folks making a little more than $20, sometimes less, do and navigate on a day to day basis. 

And it sucks, because there do need to people performing those supportive roles, but my time at both Edgewood as a practicum student and my time as a support worker showed me that they aren't valued nearly enough. Some of it's complicated, non-profits often just don't have the budgets, but in my experience that also leads to overworked staff who recognize the importance of their work, but who often don't feel valued, and a revolving door of casuals. 

The same can be said of other roles, my mom's been an early childhood educator since I was a small child and they have never gotten paid enough for what they do. Most folks pay to put their kids in preschool and daycare at some point, not realizing just how much work goes into it. Unfortunately the often absurd daycare costs don't end up paying those actually providing the service with proper wages. 

• Cheers 4

On 3/14/2024 at 1:05 PM, Bob Long said:

maybe to ease your mind a bit, could it be worthwhile talking to a recruiter? maybe there's some kind of adjacent possible job you never considered in another industry? even just knowing what other options could be out there might be a good exercise? 

More than likely there's a lot I haven't considered tbh, graduation feels far away but at the same time I realize it'll be here before I know it 

10 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Some folks would be astonished at what folks making a little more than $20, sometimes less, do and navigate on a day to day basis. 

Pay scales are way out of wack.

Those that work in 'essential services' are getting screwed.

The government has passed laws saying you can't strike or do job action, because you are a critical part of society- so sit back, shut up and do your job- for $3 more per hour than minimum wage.

Piss poor way to treat people that are ESSENTIAL.

Link to ambulance pay- note that folks working in the dispatch office are getting almost $10  an hour more than folk actually driving the ambulance and fixing/stabilizing folk.

https://www.bchealthcareawards.ca/public/wages/APAD_wages/APAD-WageSchedule-Apr2021.pdf

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

More than likely there's a lot I haven't considered tbh, graduation feels far away but at the same time I realize it'll be here before I know it 

oh for sure, you can't think of everything but you also don't need to. You got me curious tho, is this kind of thing helpful to you? https://students.ubc.ca/career/events-workshops/west-coast-virtual-fairs

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Pay scales are way out of wack.

Those that work in 'essential services' are getting screwed.

The government has passed laws saying you can't strike or do job action, because you are a critical part of society- so sit back, shut up and do your job- for $3 more per hour than minimum wage.

Piss poor way to treat people that are ESSENTIAL.

Link to ambulance pay- note that folks working in the dispatch office are getting almost $10  an hour more than folk actually driving the ambulance and fixing/stabilizing folk.

https://www.bchealthcareawards.ca/public/wages/APAD_wages/APAD-WageSchedule-Apr2021.pdf

For sure, we saw it during Covid with nurses and other health staff, hell, we're likely still seeing it with nurses 

One of my good friends went to school for psyche nursing over the past few years and the burden vs the pay is rough, and psyche nurses can make great money 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

oh for sure, you can't think of everything but you also don't need to. You got me curious tho, is this kind of thing helpful to you? https://students.ubc.ca/career/events-workshops/west-coast-virtual-fairs

Probs not as a VIU student, but it's good to know that this sort of thing is out there online 

I haven't looked at job stuff at all the last couple years besides occasionally checking out what social worker pay rates are, or social work job postings 

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Probs not as a VIU student, but it's good to know that this sort of thing is out there online 

I haven't looked at job stuff at all the last couple years besides occasionally checking out what social worker pay rates are, or social work job postings 

I just recalled that you're up north so maybe a virtual thing is a good idea, just to scan the marketplace. Sometimes there's actually more opportunities for new grads as the gov't sometimes makes that a priority. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/14/2024 at 4:00 PM, Coconuts said:

A good friend of mine has her masters in counselling psych and a second masters in social work - over the last 20 years she’s helped hundreds of people, made a bit of money, surfed through various ebbs and flows of that industry (and various different jobs/positions) and to this day questions if she knows what she wants to be when she grows up.

No need to wring your hands - you’ll work hard because you care, some conditions will suck, some will be awesome and you’ll help a whole bunch while supporting the things you need to support financially.

Win win win