Confessions

RWMc1

57 minutes ago, 112 said:

I've always been curious about cocaine. I've never done it and never will, but for some reason I have an odd fixation about it.

probably the most glorified drug imo. Has "star" status and we loved to see people like Robin Williams on it. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

probably the most glorified drug imo. Has "star" status and we loved to see people like Robin Williams on it. 

For sure. It's idealized to a startling degree. So many songs about it, too. I still love Black Sabbath - Snowblind.

I can't risk it with all the fentanyl in everything nowadays--and with having addictive genes to start with.

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, 112 said:

For sure. It's idealized to a startling degree. So many songs about it, too. I still love Black Sabbath - Snowblind.

I can't risk it with all the fentanyl in everything nowadays--and with having addictive genes to start with.

good thinking 

5 hours ago, gwarrior said:

Finally feels like I've turned a corner. Best ive felt in months. Really felt like I had fully turned that corner when listening to system of a down while cooking felt right. And it felt good.

Were you listening to and cooking chop suey?

5 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Were you listening to and cooking chop suey?

How perfect would that have been? But no. It was chicken, green beans, and scalloped potatoes.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gwarrior said:

scalloped potatoes.

How do people do scalloped potatoes without:

(a) getting too much fluid in the potatoes that it ends up as "baked sliced potato soup", and/or

(b) getting the potatoes too dry, and/or

(c) getting raw patches of potatoes?

I've had these three happen to me on separate attempts, despite following the instructions to the letter from the recipe books.  :picard:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

(a) getting too much fluid in the potatoes that it ends up as "baked sliced potato soup", and/or

I've had these three happen to me on separate attempts, despite following the instructions to the letter from the recipe books.  :picard:

sodium citrate for the sauce: https://modernistpantry.com/products/sodium-citrate.html?_ga=2.53720175.691539123.1713291207-676752230.1713291207

On 4/10/2024 at 1:23 PM, 112 said:

I've always been curious about cocaine. I've never done it and never will, but for some reason I have an odd fixation about it.

I've always been more fascinated by opiates, they really sink their teeth into people. I'd never try them, I've never done any drugs, I've never so much as taken a puff on a cigarette. I knew back in my teens that I had zero interest in dabbling with that sort of thing, I didn't want what I considered to be "artificial happiness". One could argue that some drugs aren't artificial, but I've never been interested in using substances for joy, stress relief, ect.

That also applies to alcohol, although I do dabble in that. I've never wanted to use substances to cope, which is why I've never really been much of a party style drinker. 

I've also seen and heard too much. I did a practicum at a reputable rehabilitation facility in Nanaimo, got to hear a lot of stories from a diverse range of people, people who were often much more educated than I was at the time. I worked on two different wet sites that had residents actively using as a support worker, I also put together harm reduction kits as a support worker and have observed folks being brought back with naloxone. I think the worst I ever saw was a guy turning blue, it took like three or four shots of naloxone to bring him back. Wasn't uncommon to see folks nodding off, or folks experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

I don't think it's uncommon for folks to attach a sort of mystique to drugs, but I also think most people haven't really experienced the gritty realities that often come with the territory. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I use flour and heavy cream.

Peeled and sliced white potatoes 

thinly sliced onions 

grated cheddar cheese 

salt, pepper

flour

heavy cream

butter

Large casserole dish

layer of sliced potatoes 

layer of onion 

layer of sliced potatoes

multiple pats of butter

sift a light layer of all purpose flour on

salt and pepper

layer of onion

layer of potatoes

layer of grated cheese

layer of potatoes 

layer of onion

layer of potatoes 

multiple pats butter

generous layer of sifted flour

potatoes , salt , pepper 

pour heavy cream over top until it shows up on bottom at 1/4 “ deep

more sifted flour and a generous layer of grated cheese. 
Cover tightly with tin foil and bake at 350 for about 45 min. 
remove foil and bake another 15-20 minutes to crisp up top layer. 

Flour will mix with the butter , moisture and heavy cream and cheese  oils to make a thick flavour full sauce in your dish

it takes a few tries to learn your best quantities of flour, cream and butter but once you get it figured out it works well. It generally needs more flour than you might expect. Lots of moisture comes out of the potatoes and onions. 

Basically making a rue by itself as it cooks. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I've always been more fascinated by opiates, they really sink their teeth into people. I'd never try them, I've never done any drugs, I've never so much as taken a puff on a cigarette. I knew back in my teens that I had zero interest in dabbling with that sort of thing, I didn't want what I considered to be "artificial happiness". One could argue that some drugs aren't artificial, but I've never been interested in using substances for joy, stress relief, ect.

That also applies to alcohol, although I do dabble in that. I've never wanted to use substances to cope, which is why I've never really been much of a party style drinker. 

I've also seen and heard too much. I did a practicum at a reputable rehabilitation facility in Nanaimo, got to hear a lot of stories from a diverse range of people, people who were often much more educated than I was at the time. I worked on two different wet sites that had residents actively using as a support worker, I also put together harm reduction kits as a support worker and have observed folks being brought back with naloxone. I think the worst I ever saw was a guy turning blue, it took like three or four shots of naloxone to bring him back. Wasn't uncommon to see folks nodding off, or folks experiencing withdrawal symptoms. 

I don't think it's uncommon for folks to attach a sort of mystique to drugs, but I also think most people haven't really experienced the gritty realities that often come with the territory. 

I've spent a lot of time homeless and so have been around quite a bit of that lifestyle. I've lost three friends to overdoses. For me, my biggest 'vice' has always been marijuana, and I consider myself fortunate for that (quit blazing last month, only on tobacco and alcohol since). There are a lot of things that can pull you into drug use when you're vagrant, and from what I've witnessed, once an addiction to something like meth or fent takes its grip on someone, it's very hard for them to get away from it. (That's common knowledge, of course, but it really solidifies when you've seen how substance use goes with people.) And often the people who pass away from substance use are the ones doing their damndest to get away from it; relapse happens, and with the tolerance gone, it's easy to misjudge how much one should be taking.

Overall I think things like acid are pretty gnarly but generally good advice is to not do drugs, kids.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Easy way:

Cut the potatoes to your desired size. Cube, coin, whatever.

Low boil the cut potatoes until almost cooked.

Strain, drop them in ice bath for a min or two, strain again, leave to dry off a bit.

Then make a thick cheese roux (extra old cheddar), ementhal works too but whatever.  I like to add some Worcestershire sauce, onion and garlic powders, white pepper, shot or two of hot sauce to the roux, but you do you.

Put the taters in a casserole dish

Pour the roux on top

Bake for about 20 mins at 375.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 112 said:

I've spent a lot of time homeless and so have been around quite a bit of that lifestyle. I've lost three friends to overdoses. For me, my biggest 'vice' has always been marijuana, and I consider myself fortunate for that (quit blazing last month, only on tobacco and alcohol since). There are a lot of things that can pull you into drug use when you're vagrant, and from what I've witnessed, once an addiction to something like meth or fent takes its grip on someone, it's very hard for them to get away from it. (That's common knowledge, of course, but it really solidifies when you've seen how substance use goes with people.) And often the people who pass away from substance use are the ones doing their damndest to get away from it; relapse happens, and with the tolerance gone, it's easy to misjudge how much one should be taking.

Overall I think things like acid are pretty gnarly but generally good advice is to not do drugs, kids.

I think a bit of that is unescapable for those experiencing homelessness, but even that's complicated. It's not something to generalize, but oftentimes there's a intersection of factors that homeless individuals experience. Mental health struggles and homeless often go hand in hand, trauma and homelessness as well. There's also a lot of trauma experienced by homeless individuals once they are homeless. 

It's also challenging for a lot of homeless individuals to access supports of any kind. It's not easy to get supportive housing, and a lot of housing isn't low barrier housing. The wraparound systems that would really help individuals frankly don't exist, particularly in smaller communities. A lot of the supports that do exist are band aid measures. Addiction is such an incredibly complex thing, so is homelessness. They're both fascinating issues, but so complex. 

• Upvote 1

I'm rooting for Matthews to miss out on hitting 70 and Kucherov to miss out on hitting 100 assists 

I hope the final score is 1-0 with Kucherov scoring the winning goal, because that's probably the best way to make sure he doesn't assist on anything 

I think it'd be hilarious 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I don’t believe in tipping.

Today I ordered a veggie sandwich online for pick up and before the transaction is complete they ask if I want to tip the person who is making it…

Also when I went to five guys last july(when I ate meat) before I pay the tip 10%, 15%, 20% option comes up…I don’t tip fast food places..

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, runningback33 said:

Today I ordered a veggie sandwich online for pick up and before the transaction is complete they ask if I want to tip the person who is making it…

Also when I went to five guys last july(when I ate meat) before I pay the tip 10%, 15%, 20% option comes up…I don’t tip fast food places..

thats dangerous, if you don't tip, good chance you'll be eating spit. 

• Cheers 2