Confessions

RWMc1

On 5/3/2024 at 9:09 AM, bishopshodan said:

Made a screw up at work. I scribbled out a mistake I made in a log book, I forgot it was considered a 'legal doc'.

i could be in some actual trouble as I am still in my probation period. I'm sad. I am being told that I am excelling as an officer by supervisors but I know management will look at this. I was giving a post with a lot of responsibilty and even though my mistake seemed small inrelation to other serious aspects of the prison, I have let myself down. I drank heavy last night and felt sorry for myself.

Now, I'll get back up like I always do. I have no other choice. 

You're human buddy, don't be too hard on yourself. Probationary periods are also about learning the ropes so I hope they keep that in mind and assess you overall, not just on one mistake.

• Cheers 1

I just listened to this for the first time last week. Can’t believe I missed it. Probably the greatest revision to an original song in music history. Even Paul Simon said that “The Sound of Silence” now belongs to Disturbed. 

Disturbed’s version also brings out the full meaning of the song. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm a little nervous for tomorrow. I start switching departments, I'm going from the deli/sausage making department to the fresh meat cutting department. Granted, I'm good with a boning knife, I just gotta learn how to cut beef now. Most of my meat cutting experience is with pork. So I'm both excited and nervous. But it's time for a new challenge.

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf just quit drinking. Been 7 minutes now. 

If that is an honest and sincere revelation it’s the best decision you can make. Every aspect of your life will improve, particularly benefits to your health. Not to mention your pocket book. 

Do it !

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Alflives said:

Alf just quit drinking. Been 7 minutes now. 

If you are not just shitting us

Best wishes, it won't be easy; but you will find you are not the only guy, here, that is trying to do the same.

A.A. is available with meetings throughout the Vancouver/lower mainland- and you can even find A.A. online

https://aaonline.org/

They are not the only way to get help to quit, but they are a good way.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I just listened to this for the first time last week. Can’t believe I missed it. Probably the greatest revision to an original song in music history. Even Paul Simon said that “The Sound of Silence” now belongs to Disturbed. 

Disturbed’s version also brings out the full meaning of the song. 

The opening “ Hello darkness my old friend, I’ve come to talk with you again” is a reference to Paul Simon going into his bathroom, closing the door and turning out the light.

It provided a quiet and dark atmosphere with no distractions. That’s where he feels he did some of his best song writing. 

Thanks for posting that. Definitely powerful. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Barnstorm said:

The opening “ Hello darkness my old friend, I’ve come to talk with you again” is a reference to Paul Simon going into his bathroom, closing the door and turning out the light.

It provided a quiet and dark atmosphere with no distractions. That’s where he feels he did some of his best song writing. 

Thanks for posting that. Definitely powerful. 

Dude had a bit of a cold, and was majorly pissed they used auto tune  on him.

Hell of a voice on him.

• Like 1

I was down on the island for a couple weeks and now I'm back in Dawson Creek, today it's sinking in that I'm living somewhere I don't want to be again. Happens every time I leave and come back, I'm not happy here. 

I never wanted to leave despite knowing it's the move that makes the most sense in the short to medium term. For some people home can be a person, but for me home has always been a place. 

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I was down on the island for a couple weeks and now I'm back in Dawson Creek, today it's sinking in that I'm living somewhere I don't want to be again. Happens every time I leave and come back, I'm not happy here. 

I never wanted to leave despite knowing it's the move that makes the most sense in the short to medium term. For some people home can be a person, but for me home has always been a place. 

I moved to the city when I was 18. I was chasing the rock and roll dream as a drummer.  For decades the island was always in my heart. I feel you.

I came back at 45. 

If it makes sense for you now, chip away at things for the short to medium term and know home is always here waiting for you one day. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I moved to the city when I was 18. I was chasing the rock and roll dream as a drummer.  For decades the island was always in my heart. I feel you.

I came back at 45. 

If it makes sense for you now, chip away at things for the short to medium term and know home is always here waiting for you one day. 

It's a weird thing, it's also weird going back and seeing what's changed. Time marches on without us, we all know this, but sometimes it's a little unnerving to see it in person. 

Might be sooner than later, hopefully on a few years, my fourth year practicum will be done through Northern Health which is basically the VIHA equivalent up here, there's a good chance I might end up working for them too. There seems to be no shortage of work for social workers, but getting experience in a place where there's less competition for jobs would only make the transition easier. It's probably easier to jump health authorities than it is to initially get in down there too, I've always heard the with VIHA you need to know someone. 

Edited by Coconuts

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

I've always heard the with VIHA you need to know someone. 

My wife works in admin at MCFD in the central island area. They share the building and some office space with VIHA. She forgot her phone at home today so I cant text her but I'll get her to ask some of her co-workers their opinion on this. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

My wife works in admin at MCFD in the central island area. They share the building and some office space with VIHA. She forgot her phone at home today so I cant text her but I'll get her to ask some of her co-workers their opinion on this. 

I'd be curious to hear it, that's been VIHA's reputation amongst several of those I've gone to school with over the years 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

It's a weird thing, it's also weird going back and seeing what's changed. Time marches on without us, we all know this, but sometimes it's a little unnerving to see it in person. 

Might be sooner than later, hopefully on a few years, my fourth year practicum will be done through Northern Health which is basically the VIHA equivalent up here, there's a good chance I might end up working for them too. There seems to be no shortage of work for social workers, but getting experience in a place where there's less competition for jobs would only make the transition easier. It's probably easier to jump health authorities than it is to initially get in down there too, I've always heard the with VIHA you need to know someone. 

its definitely always easier to know someone. If you can, once you start working make sure to attend conferences and talks held in VIHA and start making introductions, maybe even get on a volunteer committee of some kind. That will get you the contacts your need pretty quickly. 

• Cheers 1

I'm sore as hell today. It's was my 3rd day training on beef cutting. I have cutting experience, but it's mostly pork cutting. I find I'm enjoying the change of pace, as opposed to making sausages, pepperoni, hotdogs, etc. I just have to adjust to cutting 8 hours a day instead of maybe 6 hours a week tops.

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2024 at 2:40 PM, Coconuts said:

I'd be curious to hear it, that's been VIHA's reputation amongst several of those I've gone to school with over the years 

Wifey talked with a few folks and they agreed with your take but expressed,  'it's not as hard as it used to be...'

DM me if you want her to dig around more or ask things more specific. 

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Wifey talked with a few folks and they agreed with your take but expressed,  'it's not as hard as it used to be...'

DM me if you want her to dig around more or ask things more specific. 

That's good to hear, could have been a thing more specific to Nanaimo but that's definitely the rep VIHA has 

I've heard mixed things about VIHA in general, about how the talking heads don't communicate well, the work loads, the bureaucracy and so on, but I've also heard they can be good to work for 

I suppose it also boils down to what your role/job title is too though

And noted, but it could be a while

• Cheers 1

On 6/4/2024 at 1:25 PM, Coconuts said:

I actually just saw a post on Reddit yesterday where someone was asking about tips on getting into VIHA. Not sure if it'll be helpful for you. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/VancouverIsland/comments/1d93xvg/trying_to_get_in_at_island_health_tips/

• Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I still shop at Loblaws. 

Tonight I am camped along the Gulf of St Lawrence getting ready to take the Confederation Bridge to PEI tomorrow. By an odd coincidence we went into a Loblaws here in New Brunswick yesterday to get milk. What costs me $4.59 for 4l in Abbotsford cost just under $9 here. Back to the boycott for me!