Confessions

RWMc1

29 minutes ago, brilac said:

I'm very sorry you are in this situation Deb!

Keep in mind that this is a reflection of them, and better things and new doors will open up for you! Just hang in there, stay professional, and move on from them when it comes. 

A previous job I worked at was very toxic. In the end, I was working beyond 8 hours with many job responsibilities and in many areas of the company.

When I was laid off, I was so happy! The stress was released.

It's hard, because I also strive to be that dependable employee who goes above and beyond, but people take advantage of that. I am also very team and communication oriented. 

It's like - how can someone be a dependable employee who goes above and beyond and is very team and communication oriented without being taken advantage of? 

Thanks Bri, I really appreciate the kind words and insight.

I am staying professional and will carry out my duties like usual (I hate being idle and am a bit of a workaholic). I just wish they'd shown more compassion and not yanked us around so much at what is already a difficult time. 

I think the nice guys/girls finish last is definitely applicable a good deal of the time. It's like the more you do the more is expected of you and the slackers slide through unscathed.

Someone who's feeling less than loved in all of this posted on her personal FB and someone showed the boss and she was asked to take it down. Seriously? Her private space and she vented (as I am here). Not naming names, but just releasing the negative energy in order to move past it. They're really surprising me with how disconnected they are right now to how people are feeling/coping. It's quite disappointing to end on this note. We're trying to just suck it up (keep calm and carry on) but each move they make seems more and more out of touch.

• Huggy Bear 1

26 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

What are you taking?

It's a BAS degree. 

I took Excel/Access and Philosophy for the degree program. 

Edited by brilac
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, -dlc- said:

My job is ending at the end of August and I'm really ticked off. 

At first, our school was closing when our lease expires on July 31st (possibly only for a year while they secured another location). The terms were all laid out and I felt good about how we were being treated. "Respected".

Now that's all blown to pieces as things have changed. They HAVE managed to secure a temporary location to keep operations going next year but it's a very small space and out of the 50 or so current employees only a handful will have jobs next year. The rest of us are out of luck. We're sad, anxious and not looking forward to the prospect of being jobless....but there's NO sensitivity being shown to us and it's very glaring how, despite promoting gratitude and respect, they are severely lacking in that department. Actions speak louder than words and the actions right now are really piss poor.

Initially, we were told that we'd get a 15% pay increase for July if we moved our holidays to August and helped with the shutdown of our current school during July. OK, incentive...cancelled a trip away with friends to move my holidays to August even though we were told we wouldn't have a location so would either work remotely or not at all. So we'd be off anyhow and our holidays suddenly were becoming quite meaningless as a result. The consolation? One big holiday....entire month of August. Awesome. We'd be sweating it out in July (a/c is busted) and that sounded great.

Then they up'd it to 30% for anyone working 20 days from June 24 - July 31. They're also giving us 2.5 days pay x number of years worked. Reasonable. Our contracts go through to August 31 so I guess it's an olive branch.

Now that they've got a location set for next year, they're trying to grind us to the bone. My holidays in August now have to change AGAIN because my boss reports that he needs me for the last 10 days of August (where? how?). OK, moved them once again...whatever. They've hinted that they might rent space in the back of a warehouse for us to work out of. 

Then I got an email Friday assigning tasks for Monday....as a "mover" (I'm an Executive Assistant - desk job). Unloading 2 steel storage containers outside, packing the contents into boxes/labelling them and then moving them indoors. 

Uh, no. F that. 

I'm a team player and have gone above and beyond doing jobs that are not part of my job description. But, at this point....boundaries are being set. Hell no I'm not going into those dirty steel hell holes to unload stuff and then cart it elsewhere. I have the number for the Turkish movers I worked with...maybe call them?

It's disheartening because they're frantically running around trying to "organize" last minute stuff for their carry over in a new location and we're left in the dust but being asked to do ridiculously urgent  "I NEED IT AND I NEED IT NOW" stuff. The kicker? The people who do have jobs next year are signing off for the summer? Wat?

I have lost all respect for an organization that I thought was better than this. A few of us have and it's really tragic that they're plowing through us like we're machines.

It's like we're not there...they even did a team huddle in the doorway and all put their hands in the middle and then a big hoorah group cheer as they headed to the new location for lunch. And had the audacity to ask us to drive lunch over to them at the new site. Me: "no". My friend at the front desk: "no".

While the stragglers (us) are left watching the new team celebrate themselves and plan their camping trips, we're apparently expected to take on the load. 

Not too happy. Was feeling ok despite it all but am now just trying to survive the last 2 months without losing my cool. It's tough...I'm ready to tell them to TAKE THIS JOB AND....SHOVE IT.

Ugh! I'm so sorry that this is happening to you. I felt this, as I had something similar happen to me at an old job. I've learned not to be too loyal to a company/an employer. They will not hesitate to throw you under the bus and use you for their gain, but they will never offer you even a fraction of the same loyalty you've shown them. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

Went to Costco at 9am and there were already people eating hotdogs and chicken strips and fries

breakfast means different things to different folks. I had a hard time with the idea of fish and rice for breakfast in Japan, but people do it there. 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, runningback33 said:

Went to Costco at 9am and there were already people eating hotdogs and chicken strips and fries

Unless I'm still drunk from the night before, no way in hell would I do that.

• Haha 1

I confess ~

I need to stop with this online shopping.

I was up last night shopping away!

I received a package today and opened it up, and was like…

What in the heck is this? !!

IMG_7988.thumb.jpeg.24b8eaf7fc6e941891fbec5d370b0167.jpeg

• Haha 2

On 6/23/2024 at 12:54 PM, -dlc- said:

Thanks Bri, I really appreciate the kind words and insight.

I am staying professional and will carry out my duties like usual (I hate being idle and am a bit of a workaholic). I just wish they'd shown more compassion and not yanked us around so much at what is already a difficult time. 

I think the nice guys/girls finish last is definitely applicable a good deal of the time. It's like the more you do the more is expected of you and the slackers slide through unscathed.

Someone who's feeling less than loved in all of this posted on her personal FB and someone showed the boss and she was asked to take it down. Seriously? Her private space and she vented (as I am here). Not naming names, but just releasing the negative energy in order to move past it. They're really surprising me with how disconnected they are right now to how people are feeling/coping. It's quite disappointing to end on this note. We're trying to just suck it up (keep calm and carry on) but each move they make seems more and more out of touch.

Sorry to hear Deb. It's harder to find good jobs these days. I agree a lot of companies just take you for advantage.

That's why when I feel sick, I take a sick day without guilt. Because I'm not getting others sick. I have a good boss. But I've been with the company long enough to know that usually good bosses get moved up. Some of the best bosses I worked for no longer are with the company as well. My concern is being able to advance. I'm getting to the last 10 years before I retire. I'd like to move up bit and help out my pension. But yeah I understand things could change. When I was two years into the job our trainer was just given a six month severance and the whole training department was shut down. I saw her a year later and being let go was the best thing for her. She found a better job, and was more happy.

A manager at a different job years ago said something profound to me. You spend 1/3 of your life at your job. Make sure it's something you enjoy doing.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2024 at 2:49 PM, runningback33 said:

On 6/25/2024 at 2:56 PM, Bob Long said:

breakfast means different things to different folks. I had a hard time with the idea of fish and rice for breakfast in Japan, but people do it there. 

I used to work graveyard shifts and after work I'd pick up beers sometimes in the morning because afternoons were the only times I could drink and chill until I had to pass out and go back to work...Some of the clerks prob thought I was a legit alki ...diff times for diff people.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 hours ago, brilac said:

I confess ~

I need to stop with this online shopping.

I was up last night shopping away!

I received a package today and opened it up, and was like…

What in the heck is this? !!

IMG_7988.thumb.jpeg.24b8eaf7fc6e941891fbec5d370b0167.jpeg

I have an online shopping addiction, too. 

At first glance, it looked like a block of frozen pastry dough lol 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, runningback33 said:

Yeah for me I need a healthy breakfast, I would feel like shit eating a hotdog in the morning 

I only eat breakfast on my days off. I'm up at 6:15 A.M. and I'm not hungry when I get up for work. So I usually grab a couple granola bars and a muffin for breakfast on my first break.

• Cheers 1

On 6/28/2024 at 2:16 PM, runningback33 said:

Yeah for me I need a healthy breakfast, I would feel like shit eating a hotdog in the morning 

Just add some scrambled eggs and voila- breakfast wiener!

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

25 minutes ago, brilac said:

I had pizza and dessert for breakfast. 

It was one of those fancy desserts from a French bakery. 

Pizza for breakfast. Right on. Or as I call it, the "breakfast of champions".

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, gwarrior said:

Pizza for breakfast. Right on. Or as I call it, the "breakfast of champions".

I am a champion! I eat what I like! 

Of course, I'm a little tipsy off the champagne right now, as I type this, this very second!And eating the nature cheese crackers and then cheese sticks, because I like cheese! Cheese is great! Cheese is wonderful! Everyone should have cheese! I highly recommend it! Cheese and cheese and more cheese! 

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, brilac said:

I am a champion! I eat what I like! 

Of course, I'm a little tipsy off the champagne right now, as I type this, this very second!And eating the nature cheese crackers and then cheese sticks, because I like cheese! Cheese is great! Cheese is wonderful! Everyone should have cheese! I highly recommend it! Cheese and cheese and more cheese! 

I always have cheese on hand. Be it slices or bricks of it. Hell, sometimes I smoke cheese then shred it and freeze it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1