Confessions

RWMc1

48 minutes ago, Jess said:

It's never too late! I definitely hesitated to grab "trans woman" right out of the gate and played with a few other identifiers before I finally just admitted what I really wanted and felt. I too also was very much not someone people would perceive as trans (or any brand of LGBTQ, for that matter) so I've been a bit anxious to come out to more people. People around me are noticing changes though I think, both in my appearance and the way I carry and express myself, so I suspect some people are maybe figuring things out 😆.

If you ever need to talk to someone about things, don't ever hesitate to reach out ❤️

Thanks, you as well! I just showed up at work wearing eyeliner, and didn't say anything about it for 2 weeks until I was asked, haha. I meant to come out with it the first day, had run through what I was going to say in my head, but I get 'stage fright' so I kind of just forgot it when the time came. :classic_laugh: 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Chickenspear said:

Thanks, you as well! I just showed up at work wearing eyeliner, and didn't say anything about it for 2 weeks until I was asked, haha. I meant to come out with it the first day, had run through what I was going to say in my head, but I get 'stage fright' so I kind of just forgot it when the time came. :classic_laugh: 

Haha I'm still working on eyeliner at work. I just keep it to more subtle things like foundation etc, but once I'm out there or more ready to be more out than I am now, I'll maybe start flaunting the wings I've been practicing 😆

• Upvote 2

We've had a couple of candidates come for interviews wearing t-shirts and sneakers/runners. Maybe I'm old school, but I would deduct a few points for that. Luckily for them, I'm not conducting the interviews lol  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

We've had a couple of candidates come for interviews wearing t-shirts and sneakers/runners. Maybe I'm old school, but I would deduct a few points for that. Luckily for them, I'm not conducting the interviews lol  

What kind of job and how old were they?

58 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

What kind of job and how old were they?

It's for an office job and they were maybe early-mid 20s. 

Edited by Psylocke

3 hours ago, Psylocke said:

Did they bring their moms?

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

There’s a guy in my neighborhood who in the morning for whatever reason walks around the back wearing just boxers and flip flops pacing around while talking on his phone 

Well at least he hasn't switched to tighty whities.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Psylocke said:

It's for an office job and they were maybe early-mid 20s. 

I’d say depends on what the dress code is at work.

Having someone who is team oriented, a positive attitude, gets along with others, and does their job is essential.

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Unless that's the norm in your office, I'd go as far as to disqualify them for that 

We're supposed to business casual, but in reality a few are leaning more on the casual side. But IMO, for a job interview, you should at least be in business casual. Even when I was younger and interviewing for retail work, I was not in a t-shirt and sneakers. I don't know if it's a generational thing or what though.  

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

Did they bring their moms?

Hah you say that, but at my old job (where I was the hiring manager), I have had a couple people come with their parents. One time I had a young girl (probably 17 or 18) come to a hiring event with her mom, and it was the mom who spoke and asked questions the whole time. The girl didn't say a word and just stood behind her mom.  

4 minutes ago, brilac said:

I’d say depends on what the dress code is at work.

Having someone who is team oriented, a positive attitude, gets along with others, and does their job is essential.

I do agree with that, and I wouldn't automatically not hire someone based on their interview attire, but I will still keep that in the back of my mind for my final decision. I think one should at least be in business casual for an interview - it shows respect to the potential employer, especially if you don't know what the dress code is yet. 

14 minutes ago, Psylocke said:

We're supposed to business casual, but in reality a few are leaning more on the casual side. But IMO, for a job interview, you should at least be in business casual. Even when I was younger and interviewing for retail work, I was not in a t-shirt and sneakers. I don't know if it's a generational thing or what though.  

I agree completely, but if they'd asked around to gauge the norms of the company and proceeded accordingly, I'd cut them more slack.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I agree completely, but if they'd asked around to gauge the norms of the company and proceeded accordingly, I'd cut them more slack.

I wouldn't automatically not hire them, but definitely will keep that in mind for my final decision. If they have a fantastic interview and everything else, then it wouldn't matter. If it was between them and another candidate, with all things equal, it might. 

1 hour ago, Psylocke said:

Hah you say that, but at my old job (where I was the hiring manager), I have had a couple people come with their parents. One time I had a young girl (probably 17 or 18) come to a hiring event with her mom, and it was the mom who spoke and asked questions the whole time. The girl didn't say a word and just stood behind her mom.  

That's actually really sad. Poor kid.