Confessions

RWMc1

I'm not leaving the house tomorrow. Been weeks since I had a do nothing day. So tomorrow is gonna be nothing but playing red dead and crushing beers. Monday I get back to being a responsible adult......... I hate those days.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, gwarrior said:

I'm not leaving the house tomorrow. Been weeks since I had a do nothing day. So tomorrow is gonna be nothing but playing red dead and crushing beers. Monday I get back to being a responsible adult......... I hate those days.

I had a nothing day today. I woke up around 1pm and stayed in my sleepwear - a tank top and leggings. I drank coffee, had a few vegan chocolate bars, ate a half pizza, and watched Catfish and Pulp: A Film About Life, Death, & Supermarkets. I have a ticket to see Pulp in San Francisco in September.

6 minutes ago, brilac said:

I had a nothing day today. I woke up around 1pm and stayed in my sleepwear - a tank top and leggings. I drank coffee, had a few vegan chocolate bars, ate a half pizza, and watched Catfish and Pulp: A Film About Life, Death, & Supermarkets. I have a ticket to see Pulp in San Francisco in September.

Woke up at 1?!! That's when I took my lunch break. I'm also up at 6:15am when I gotta work. So sleeping in for me is like 8 or 9......... or if I'm really shot to hell, 11.

Just now, gwarrior said:

Woke up at 1?!! That's when I took my lunch break. I'm also up at 6:15am when I gotta work. So sleeping in for me is like 8 or 9......... or if I'm really shot to hell, 11.

Yeah, waking up around 1pm is delightful! I enjoy every bit of the sleeping in 💤 !! 

Oh yeah, I also had some non-dairy ice cream sandwiches with sprinkles on top. It was delightful. 

Edited by brilac
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, brilac said:

Yeah, waking up around 1pm is delightful! I enjoy every bit of the sleeping in 💤 !! 

Think the last time I slept that late, I was 15 or 16. I just can't do that anymore, unless I'm sick. Then I'll sleep like 18 hours a day on and off.

20 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

That's alright I start at 6am! 

39 minutes ago, Gurn said:

best part of retirement is no more starting work at 5:20 am.

ps- the rest of retirement is also freakin  awesome!

This shift worker has that thought slip into his head quite often these days...

People talking about getting up at 6:30 am etc?.....I get off at 6:30 am during some blocks ( 12 hr shifts, 4 day rotations) .... in. a . prison!  😆

When I dont work, I get up at 4:45 to head to the gym  but I admit I often sneak a nap in later in the day. 

• Upvote 1

Actually I kinda do have a confession and a bit more moaning about my job.

Work in the prison can be very rewarding. I'm good at the job and receive plenty of praise.

I have ran into a problem. I am posted on a unit that is huge. Literally.

It is not uncommon for me to walk an avg 30k steps and 100 flights of stairs...per shift.

My left hip has been hurting for a couple months and it seems to be getting worse. I was powering through and putting it out of my mind. I have put in for a different post and have been anticipating that i would get it. Its been 4 months, I have responded to 2 expressions of interest and had many informal conversations about the new assignment. I was telling myself 'just hang on, the new post is coming, far less walking'

Without going too far into it, I am now pretty sure I will not get the new post. Maybe due to politics, procrastination on deciding, staffing levels, or simply losing out to another candidate due to seniority.

So, now I am a bit heart broken. My will to push my hip has gone away. Why suffer for this job if I am to just be a number?  ( some of my co-workers think the brass want to leave me in my current post for now because I am good at it, I am often left by myself with about 50 inmates....that's no how things are supposed to work)

That said, i cant bring myself to take med leave. I could work easily in many postions and other jobs....if maybe they had just a few steps less than 30k ( actaully its the stairs that hurt the most).

I stopped running about a month ago to try to help. I see the dr on Wed. I will fix my hip, i am determined to do so, i have many things i need it for stilll!

However, I'm not sure I will be at this job too much longer.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 2

11 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Work in the prison can be very rewarding. I'm good at the job and receive plenty of praise.

It is not uncommon for me to walk an avg 30k steps and 100 flights of stairs...per shift.

My left hip has been hurting for a couple months and it seems to be getting worse. I was powering through and putting it out of my mind. I have put in for a different post and have been anticipating that i would get it. Its been 4 months, I have responded to 2 expressions of interest and had many informal conversations about the new assignment. I was telling myself 'just hang on, the new post is coming, far less walking'

Without going too far into it, I am now pretty sure I will not get the new post. Maybe due to politics, procrastination on deciding, staffing levels, or simply losing out to another candidate due to seniority.

So, now I am a bit heart broken. My will to push my hip has gone away. Why suffer for this job if I am to just be a number?  ( some of my co-workers think the brass want to leave me in my current post for now because I am good at it, I am often left by myself with about 50 inmates....that's no how things are supposed to work)

That said, i cant bring myself to take med leave. I could work easily in many postions and other jobs....if maybe they had just a few steps less than 30k ( actaully its the stairs that hurt the most).

I stopped running about a month ago to try to help. I see the dr on Wed. I will fix my hip, i am determined to do so, i have many things i need it for stilll!

Have you had a chance to see a physiotherapist?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Foot wear is critical.

Cement floors, and steel stairs- are killers

Gel insoles, may help a bit- and orthotics could be the total cure. 

you might find that your left leg is  a 1/4 inch shorter than your right, and you never noticed, till you got 'older'.

Hope you get the issue solved, if not- definitely find something else to do, that doesn't make the issue worse.

you've got decades to go on that leg, don't totally screw the thing up.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Have you had a chance to see a physiotherapist?

Not yet. Gonna get the dr to see me then off to whatever. 

I am positive that physio will be in my future.

Just now, Gurn said:

Foot wear is critical.

Cement floors, and steel stairs- are killers

Gel insoles, may help a bit- and orthotics could be the total cure. 

you might find that your left leg is  a 1/4 inch shorter than your right, and you never noticed, till you got 'older'.

Hope you get the issue solved, if not- definitely find something else to do, that doesn't make the issue worse.

you've got decades to go on that leg, don't totally screw the thing up.

Man you are nailing. it.

I do think my left leg is a bit shorter. i know my left foot is slightly smaller than my right. 

Cement floors and steel stairs are what I walk on. 

They give us Tactical boots...they are the wrong footwear... they are meant for army types, they have thick tread for mud etc...

We need anti-slip, supportive footwear. My Dakota 'work pro' boots I use for personal stuff are way better. 

So, yes to insoles too.

My saddness is that they do need people with my abilities in other areas. I really want to get into 'Records'. I would learn so much and bet I would love it. 

However, I have never worked for a union before. There is plenty of problems between them and mgmt. I feel stuck in limbo just wanting to do some good work. I got into this job to try to help the overall picture, to rehab some badasses to make our world a bit safer.  I find most of the job focus is employees btiching about the mgmt and the mgmt ignoring the employees. That actual focus on corrections is secondary.

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I find most of the job focus is employees btiching about the mgmt and the mgmt ignoring the employees. That actual focus on corrections is secondary.

a 3 sided circus, Us and Them, and the other Them too.

Really have to watch out for the 'old guard' who are just putting in time, waiting to retire, even worse those that have given up, but still have years to go.

Old farts have tons of experience, but are possibly blind to the changes and improvements in their field-always waiting for the 'bad times' to come again.

"Member that time, back in 2002, when management screwed us/ that riot happened  out of nowhere?"

Learning from the past, is good, living in the past is not.

---------------------------------------------

If this gig becomes too hard on your body, maybe working with the younger 'at risk' youth is a place to try out.

Or the multitude of group homes for the mentally handicapped, though I suggest going with the higher functioning folk, rather than those that are basically bed bound, as the toll on the body is vastly reduced, with the former group.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

a 3 sided circus, Us and Them, and the other Them too.

Really have to watch out for the 'old guard' who are just putting in time, waiting to retire, even worse those that have given up, but still have years to go.

Old farts have tons of experience, but are possibly blind to the changes and improvements in their field-always waiting for the 'bad times' to come again.

"Member that time, back in 2002, when management screwed us/ that riot happened  out of nowhere?"

Learning from the past, is good, living in the past is not.

---------------------------------------------

If this gig becomes too hard on your body, maybe working with the younger 'at risk' youth is a place to try out.

Or the multitude of group homes for the mentally handicapped, though I suggest going with the higher functioning folk, rather than those that are basically bed bound, as the toll on the body is vastly reduced, with the former group.

You are bang on today.

The highlighted are true.

I have a few connections that I might be calling. Still, I'm trying to be patient. I'm very proud that I am an officer and want to make sure I do whats right for me. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I'm just thinking it would be good to head off anything now, even if you don't stay at the job. These things have a way of becoming longer term MSIs in a hurry.

You don't need a doc to schedule a physiotherapist for you either. If you have extended health coverage you can just set up an appointment on your own and get most of it paid for. I did this last year and pac blue cross covered 80% of it.

23 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Man you are nailing. it.

I do think my left leg is a bit shorter. i know my left foot is slightly smaller than my right. 

Cement floors and steel stairs are what I walk on. 

They give us Tactical boots...they are the wrong footwear... they are meant for army types, they have thick tread for mud etc...

We need anti-slip, supportive footwear. My Dakota 'work pro' boots I use for personal stuff are way better. 

So, yes to insoles too.

My saddness is that they do need people with my abilities in other areas. I really want to get into 'Records'. I would learn so much and bet I would love it. 

However, I have never worked for a union before. There is plenty of problems between them and mgmt. I feel stuck in limbo just wanting to do some good work. I got into this job to try to help the overall picture, to rehab some badasses to make our world a bit safer.  I find most of the job focus is employees btiching about the mgmt and the mgmt ignoring the employees. That actual focus on corrections is secondary.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bishopshodan said:

Maybe in the interim (and because he's often online :classic_wink:) @MeanSeanBean could provide you with pointers on ways to minimize the pain (or even to address it)?

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

38 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Maybe in the interim (and because he's often online :classic_wink:) @MeanSeanBean could provide you with pointers on ways to minimize the pain (or even to address it)?

On it 

@bishopshodan

As mentioned above first thing is footwear. If you have assigned boots then it's possible orthotics could be high value. That amount of walking on hard floors is tough. Without seeing you in person where I can gauge age, height, weight, it's hard to tell much from the information given.

Where is the pain, is it in the hip itself, like on the outside/top of your leg or more in the low back/ top of your glutes?

Sounds like it's one sided, do you wear a duty belt with something heavy like a flashlight or walkie-talkie on that side?

Leg length is common, but finding out way is crucial. It's likely coming from the joint that attaches your pelvis to your tailbone. Sometimes due to injury, overuse, repetitive strained, even just how your built, something called your SI joint can become stuck or rotated causing your leg to seem shorter. We call this a functional leg length discrepancy, and it's treatable.

A doctor won't likely help at all, but worth checking in. A Physio or Massage Therapist would be your best bet. Particularly a RMT who has access to Muscle Energy Techniques that can help adjust your hips. You'll likely need to stretch what's right, and strengthen what's weak. A Physio or Chiro can also check out your shoes/feet to see if orthotics would be helpful (you probably have benefits for them). When you book in, bring your boots. Checking the bottoms can give us a ton of information.

If you have any other questions let me know, I like talking shop.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

On it 

@bishopshodan

As mentioned above first thing is footwear. If you have assigned boots then it's possible orthotics could be high value. That amount of walking on hard floors is tough. Without seeing you in person where I can gauge age, height, weight, it's hard to tell much from the information given.

Where is the pain, is it in the hip itself, like on the outside/top of your leg or more in the low back/ top of your glutes?

Sounds like it's one sided, do you wear a duty belt with something heavy like a flashlight or walkie-talkie on that side?

Leg length is common, but finding out way is crucial. It's likely coming from the joint that attaches your pelvis to your tailbone. Sometimes due to injury, overuse, repetitive strained, even just how your built, something called your SI joint can become stuck or rotated causing your leg to seem shorter. We call this a functional leg length discrepancy, and it's treatable.

A doctor won't likely help at all, but worth checking in. A Physio or Massage Therapist would be your best bet. Particularly a RMT who has access to Muscle Energy Techniques that can help adjust your hips. You'll likely need to stretch what's right, and strengthen what's weak. A Physio or Chiro can also check out your shoes/feet to see if orthotics would be helpful (you probably have benefits for them). When you book in, bring your boots. Checking the bottoms can give us a ton of information.

If you have any other questions let me know, I like talking shop.

Thank Sean.

I'm  50 yrs old, 5'11, 185 lbs, and in great shape. I usually work out 6 days a week.

I may have a history of 'over use'. I competed in martial arts until I was 35. I kicked alot. I'm right handed/footed. This means my 'standing leg' was my left, the hip that now hurts was twisted with velocity everytime I would strike. So there may be some trauma from back then but I never really had a pain issue.

I have to go see a Dr for work anyway. They have to sign off for my work that there is infact an issue. 

The pain is at the top of my left leg where it connects to the hip on the outside. It's a constant dull ache that turns to more painful as the day goes on. When I do overnight shifts its the worst. I notice it the most when I climb stairs. My duty belt seems pretty balanced. 

It's weird, I could probably still go for a run and it would be ok ( however I have stopped just to be cautious), but a long day of walking and stairs and it starts to hurt.

It isn't getting much better after rest like it used to. 

Thanks for the info. I will bring my boots when i get  a physio appointment. 

8 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Thank Sean.

I'm  50 yrs old, 5'11, 185 lbs, and in great shape. I usually work out 6 days a week.

I may have a history of 'over use'. I competed in martial arts until I was 35. I kicked alot. I'm right handed/footed. This means my 'standing leg' was my left, the hip that now hurts was twisted with velocity everytime I would strike. So there may be some trauma from back then but I never really had a pain issue.

I have to go see a Dr for work anyway. They have to sign off for my work that there is infact an issue. 

The pain is at the top of my left leg where it connects to the hip on the outside. It's a constant dull ache that turns to more painful as the day goes on. When I do overnight shifts its the worst. I notice it the most when I climb stairs. My duty belt seems pretty balanced. 

It's weird, I could probably still go for a run and it would be ok ( however I have stopped just to be cautious), but a long day of walking and stairs and it starts to hurt.

It isn't getting much better after rest like it used to. 

Thanks for the info. I will bring my boots when i get  a physio appointment. 

Hmmm.. Likely too young for arthritis, but any sort of repetitive strain or last injuries can accelerate the process, so who knows. Probably not though. 

Would lead me to believe it could be referral from your glutes. All 3 of the glute muscles can refer to that area. Would be pretty easy for a physio to muscle check each and try to figure out if there is a weakness in the area.

Everything you've said so far sounds treatable. Just find a good therapist. Keep me updated, eh?

• Upvote 2