Confessions

RWMc1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

just offering what I saw personally. Major permanent nerve damage caused by quacks. Not saying they all are, I just know I'd never submit myself to something like that. 

Understood. Your input is actually appreciated.

My aim is to make sure, before I give out bad advice.

56 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

That may well be. I have to admit that I've never been myself.

That being said, I still think that hip pain is often a result of a back problem. IIRC, that was the case with Marian Gaborik, who had a couple of hip surgeries, before they realized his back was causing the hip issue.

At least, that's how I understood it. Maybe @MeanSeanBean can chime in. (Don't want to give my boy Bishop bad advice)

Yeah, I can't agree with the chiro bad blanket statement. I've worked with many incredible Chiropractors both professionally in my practice and seen them myself. While I can acknowledge there's little to no scientific evidence that proves it's effective at helping the body heal, there is also little to no evidence that proves my profession is effective either. But I have a lifetime of experience and tens of thousands of treatments that tells me otherwise.

Just like any profession, there are good people and bad people in the profession. Without soft tissue work, any tyoe of hard tissue alignment will have no lasting effect. And I personally think MET low velocity adjustments that are available to Physios, RMTs, and Orthos to be more effective overall, there is a time and a place for a high velocity manipulation if soft tissue work is done before the adjustment.

At the very minimum, the absolute bare minimum we can prove, is chrio makes you feel better. Likely due to a rush of endorphins. That being said, if you're in chronic pain, anything helps and it can be enough to help you get over the hump, having 30 minutes of pain free time in a day. I call it a healing window in my practice. 

I also acknowledge there is risk involved, but there is also risk involved seeing an RMT for deep tissue massage, or seeing a physio for needles. There is risk involved with nearly all avenues of healthcare. Imo, if you're seeing a reputable Chrio who's modernly trained in medicine, you're probably safe and could see value. If a chrio tells you they can increase your white blood cell count, increase fertility, or any other crap like that, they are out to lunch.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, runningback33 said:

Confession I don’t like black licorice, but I do like licorice all sorts which do have small pieces of black licorice which I’ll eat…

Cherry Licorice I love.

Black Licorice, not for me.

But now that I have cut a lot of sugar out of my diet, I don't eat licorice anymore.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

since this is confessions I feel the needs to chime in here. I worked for a neurologist for two summers when I was in uni. You couldn't pay me to see a Chiro, way too many of his patients were due to these guys and their "spine manipulation". Whatever you do don't let them near your neck, imo. 

The same.  One wrecked my Dad's neck.

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

The same.  One wrecked my Dad's neck.

Sorry to hear that.

If someone is really determined to see one, I'd really hope that they find out ahead of time what procedures they plan try, and research the risk before going.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, runningback33 said:

Confession I don’t like black licorice, but I do like licorice all sorts which do have small pieces of black licorice which I’ll eat…

Well, I can safely estimate your age to an age less than 90 😆

• Haha 4

16 hours ago, runningback33 said:

16 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Cherry Licorice I love.

Black Licorice, not for me.

But now that I have cut a lot of sugar out of my diet, I don't eat licorice anymore.

It's not licorice if its not black. 

Well, maybe dark brown too.

If it doesnt have anise or licorice root...its something else. The red stuff is just chewy candy. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

It's not licorice if its not black. 

Well, maybe dark brown too.

If it doesnt have anise or licorice root...its something else. The red stuff is just chewy candy. 

That may be true, but black licorice was candy before there was actual candy.

• ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Sandcastles in Parksville yesterday.... 

1283593754150608903.jpg

421975944029521943.jpg

8124472778561708267.jpg

4488043694362207290.jpg

Breaks my heart that they charge to view these days.

I remember Sandcastle days as a kid, was more fun and less expensive. 

• Cheers 2

Woke up this morning between 4 and 5. Went to roll over and almost screamed in pain. Looked at my left foot, and my big toe was very swollen. Had an idea right away what it was, and it took some doing but was able to get an appointment to see a doctor at the clinic. He told me it's a gout flare up. Gave me a prescription for meds. Now I'm laying in bed waiting for the meds to kick in. For those you you that have never had your, let me tell you one thing. It fucking sucks. Anything you try to do hurts like hell. I don't wish this on anyone.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

I don't really miss hockey during the offseason anymore. I enjoy the initial flurry of news, because it's all interesting stuff, but I don't really miss it once things die down. 

I suppose part of it is I probably pay too much attention to it from pre-season onward, it's nice to mostly just not think about it or spend time following it for a while. It frees up time for me to do other things that I enjoy that I don't get to as much when hockey's on the table to eat up my time. 

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, gwarrior said:

Woke up this morning between 4 and 5. Went to roll over and almost screamed in pain. Looked at my left foot, and my big toe was very swollen. Had an idea right away what it was, and it took some doing but was able to get an appointment to see a doctor at the clinic. He told me it's a gout flare up. Gave me a prescription for meds. Now I'm laying in bed waiting for the meds to kick in. For those you you that have never had your, let me tell you one thing. It fucking sucks. Anything you try to do hurts like hell. I don't wish this on anyone.

Gout is horrible.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gurn said:

Gout is horrible.

It really is. There is nothing like the sensation of a thousand needles stabbing an appendage as you try to do ANYTHING.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

12 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

My partner's mother is probably dying and there's not really a whole lot I can do to help, it sucks. Her health has been getting worse over the last year, but it's really accelerated over the past few months, moreso over the past month. I'm not gonna get into all the details but it's just continued to get worse and worse. It's been pretty grim for a while and neither of us have been all that optimistic.

They're inducing her into a coma because of liquid in her lungs, her liver and kidneys are both in very bad shape, and she's got a blood infection as well. My partner's left work and rushed off to Prince George with her brother, hoping to get there before she's induced, neither of us know how long she'll be there. I'll be in Dawson with the animals because there's nobody better equipped to stick around and take care of them; two dogs, two cats, and a kitten are a bit much for anyone to step in and look in on. 

It sucks, because I can't tell her it's going to be okay and I've voiced that as things have progressed, there's really not much I can do in a scenario like this besides being present and trying to be supportive. My partner's relationship with her mother is complicated but she's clearly devastated and doesn't want to lose her mom at 30, I've been doing what I can but I'm still largely helpless in this scenario and it sucks. I understand that it's one of those life happens things that's out of most people's hands but it still sucks. 

Sad news.

There might be counselling help available, through the hospital-either up there, or back at your home town.

There maybe community support groups as well.

• Like 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

8 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Sad news.

There might be counselling help available, through the hospital-either up there, or back at your home town.

There maybe community support groups as well.

Maybe, if things go down the way they're more likely to I might try to encourage grief counselling but that's gotta be on her to engage with or not 

Grief is hard, it's complicated, and there's really no timeframe for it, so I'll just have to do the best I can if it comes to that point

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Just being there for her, doing the simple stuff is all one can do. And it means a lot at the time. Both my wife and I have lost a parent recently and that's what we did with each other. 

I know you're right, but it still feels like I should be doing more, I know that ain't realistic but feelings often aren't 

Also, my condolences to you both, loss is part of life but it's not easy when it comes to loved ones 

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

My partner's mother is probably dying and there's not really a whole lot I can do to help, it sucks. Her health has been getting worse over the last year, but it's really accelerated over the past few months, moreso over the past month. I'm not gonna get into all the details but it's just continued to get worse and worse. It's been pretty grim for a while and neither of us have been all that optimistic.

They're inducing her into a coma because of liquid in her lungs, her liver and kidneys are both in very bad shape, and she's got a blood infection as well. My partner's left work and rushed off to Prince George with her brother, hoping to get there before she's induced, neither of us know how long she'll be there. I'll be in Dawson with the animals because there's nobody better equipped to stick around and take care of them; two dogs, two cats, and a kitten are a bit much for anyone to step in and look in on. 

It sucks, because I can't tell her it's going to be okay and I've voiced that as things have progressed, there's really not much I can do in a scenario like this besides being present and trying to be supportive. My partner's relationship with her mother is complicated but she's clearly devastated and doesn't want to lose her mom at 30, I've been doing what I can but I'm still largely helpless in this scenario and it sucks. I understand that it's one of those life happens things that's out of most people's hands but it still sucks. 

Just being a supportive voice is doing wonders.

My wife's dad fell off the garage roof putting up Xmas lights years ago  hit his head on the pavement.  he was brain dead.  my mother and law and my wife had to make the decisions pull the plug.  I couldn't be there as I had to look after our son. as he was young.

All you can do is be there for her emotionally right now.

• Huggy Bear 2

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I know you're right, but it still feels like I should be doing more, I know that ain't realistic but feelings often aren't 

yep thats kind of how it goes. Once things happen, you will be able to just be with her and if there are details that come up that she wants to discuss you can be an ear for that too. 

It sucks for sure, but as a true partner you want to be there for them in these times too. 

Edited by Bob Long
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, The Arrogant Worms said:

Just being a supportive voice is doing wonders.

My wife's dad fell off the garage roof putting up Xmas lights years ago  hit his head on the pavement.  he was brain dead.  my mother and law and my wife had to make the decisions pull the plug.  I couldn't be there as I had to look after our son. as he was young.

All you can do is be there for her emotionally right now.

Definitely doing all I can on that front

Sounds like you did the best you could too

50 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

yep thats kind of how it goes. Once things happen, you will be able to just be with her and if there are details that come up that she wants to discuss you can be an ear for that too. 

It sucks for sure, but as a true partner you want to be there for them in these times too. 

It's gonna be more that way, I'm not sure they're going to induce a coma anymore, it sounds like it's just comfort care at this point 

They're keeping her on meds and hoping she can hang on til her last son gets there on Friday, social worker said she might not last that long 

So she is dying, and from the little bits and pieces I've been getting from my partner, she's in shock

I had a feeling it was gonna go down this way, her brother did too (he called in this morning, thought something might happen), but it's gonna be very hard for a while going forward 

I really feel for her and her family, especially her dad

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

55 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Definitely doing all I can on that front

Sounds like you did the best you could too

It's gonna be more that way, I'm not sure they're going to induce a coma anymore, it sounds like it's just comfort care at this point 

They're keeping her on meds and hoping she can hang on til her last son gets there on Friday, social worker said she might not last that long 

So she is dying, and from the little bits and pieces I've been getting from my partner, she's in shock

I had a feeling it was gonna go down this way, her brother did too (he called in this morning, thought something might happen), but it's gonna be very hard for a while going forward 

I really feel for her and her family, especially her dad

Hopefully everyone can get through it as well as possible, one thing I did learn is sometimes people say and do things in grief they'd never do otherwise. They may not even remember what they said. So a short memory as a caregiver can be good too. 

But yeah the shock part is real. 

• Huggy Bear 1