[PGT] Minnesota @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

17 minutes ago, Blue said:

We already have a fringe NHLer in the top 6. We don't need another  

As I said, there are a couple of significant moves that need to be made, at least.  Moving Kuz leaves a significant hoke on the left side, no doubt.  I'd actually prefer to see Hogz with Petey than Miller and then use a draft pick (not a first) to find another winger for miller.

If they can add a top 4 rhd, they could probably recoup a draft pick by moving Myers at the deadline 

• Like 1

I know DeSmith got his praise in this thread and on social media, but I really want to focus on it again. 

DeSmith, after a terrible last start, some 10 days ago, came out and looked like a number 1 goalie in mid season form. Props to him, that stability in net is going to be huge for us, and is something we've missed for a decade. He's already gotten us 11 points in barely over a quarter into the season.

That's already more than what Halak got us in an 82 game season. These things matter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Are they a cult yet?

No kidding low impact game.

That game showed vacancies.

17 stinkin shots on goal, 10 by 4 players. 11 even strength.

This type of game sure dampens down the skill level.

The "Captain Obvious" comment, the goalie stole the game.

Unreal that a team playing less than 24 hours and traveling would dominate that much.

They won, a slowed down game.

Has the coach bump ended? They do last around 60 games or so, at least the last two coach hires anyway.

Tocchet doesn't like regrouping? Puck possession? Dump and pray really dumbs the game down.

Pettersson has to stop trying to hit so much it is putting him out of position, he used to intercept passes now he is trying to be a telephone man, reach out and touch someone. (Old commercial), trying to make contact, staples, board battles. He used to evade them and make other players look silly trying to hit him, now he tries to initiate the contact which degrades his game.

Lots of moves could be made.

A win waaahhooo. Next game a loss?

9 hours ago, HKSR said:

Where are the naysayers and doomsday guys?  Back upto 5th OA in the entire NHL.

gonna need more wins like that to stay there. Can’t assume they can score 4-5 every night. Especially against the better teams. 

I think they can do it… gotta bear down! 

6 hours ago, Future Considerations said:

Fitting that Canucks win with a soccer score.

more games like that are what we need! 

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Soft.  One dimensional.  Ha ha!   What a beauty.  

@stawns was pretty adamant Myers get credit for his achievements in the GDT (and rightly so imo). Wonder if he’s ready to give BB6 a little credit yet…. 

• Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Has anyone ever seen Kuzmenko give a bodycheck? Has he hit anybody since being in the NHL? 

I criticize Petey now and then when he disappears, but at least Petey tries to hit occasionally. He's good defensively. 

I hope so. Petey isn't an undrafted former KHL player

7 minutes ago, Nucker67 said:

Has anyone ever seen Kuzmenko give a bodycheck? Has he hit anybody since being in the NHL? 

I criticize Petey now and then when he disappears, but at least Petey tries to hit occasionally. He's good defensively. 

He has more take aways than give aways isn't that a good stat?

More take aways than Boeser. Fewer give aways than Boeser. Boeser 8 goals in 3 games played, scored in 8 of 27 games.

Trade Boeser while the iron is hot. The cap space could be used for Koneky or Perry or Kessel or Mantha or Jennot or Roy or ?

Petey should stop trying to hit SO much, that was never his game

12 minutes ago, Cocanuck said:

I think toch needs to be careful when demands are made on how players should play.  Certain guys are all skill and speed and certain guys are crash and bang.  I personally dont believe petey or kuz should play that way.. they can be effective playing angles and body positioning without body checking or being more physical.  I remember watching forsberg playing physical.  Everyone loved it but his career was cut short by injuries.  Had immense skill.  Im not comparing but sometimes you need to maximize a players abilities not make them play to who they are not..  better positioning defensively is always correct..  hard forcheck and throwing hits is not,, draft bigger faster guys for that.. 40 goal scorers are harder to find..  i personally think a lot of teams would love kuzy’s skill and would try to get him for a steal.  

Yes. Trying to make a Selke candidate out of Kuz is just as wrong headed as trying to make Ryan Orilly into a one way goal scorer. The onus is on Tocchet to find a way to utilize Kuz. There has been lots of one way NHL scorers in this league 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

First half of the first period... 

I was wondering what the heck was wrong with this team... Soft on the puck. Couldn't make or take a pass. 

We really looked like the same basement team from the past few seasons. We looked terrible.

2nd and 3rd periods were completely completely different. Played systems really well and didn't give the Wild much. 

DeSmith was great. 

Also, I think Z's been solid. Love the big hits and the strong play at the end on Maroon to break up the sustained puck possession in our zone and get it out. 

I felt like the entire team played well and followed the game plan the final 2 periods and dominated. 

We could have scored quite a few more goals. A few breakaways, a few posts, some grade A cross seam passes. 

Seeing how the were able to play so differently the final 2 periods vs the first period, makes me question why the came out so flat? They might be playing too tight, scared of making mistakes so they over analyze, over think and are last to the puck. Being second to the puck and losing the battle then opens up other holes. 

The key or answer to this isn't to abandon the system. It's to know it inside out so there is no confusion or time to think. Just let the body react. Looks like more practice time is needed to engrained this rather than less. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

gonna need more wins like that to stay there. Can’t assume they can score 4-5 every night. Especially against the better teams. 

I think they can do it… gotta bear down! 

more games like that are what we need! 

@stawns was pretty adamant Myers get credit for his achievements in the GDT (and rightly so imo). Wonder if he’s ready to give BB6 a little credit yet…. 

It was a good sign last night that for the last 2 periods, they got back to taking care of things in their own end first.  There's so much offensive talent on this team that if they just work on keeping the puck out, the offensive opportunities will present themselves.  A bit more boring play style, but wins matter more to fans than wide open hockey.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

If Kuzy played physically like Hoglander, he would be incredible. Sadly, I don't think it's in his DNA to play that way. Kuzy isn't some young kid they can take their time and develop and mold into the player they want (like they did with Hoglander).

Garland was great yesterday and has upped his game since deciding he didn't want to get traded. Kuzmenko is playing okay, but not the right way. I wonder how much patience Tocchet and Allvin will have with him. My guess is he could be traded.

• ThereItIs 1

57 minutes ago, TheGuardian said:

Are they a cult yet?

No kidding low impact game.

That game showed vacancies.

17 stinkin shots on goal, 10 by 4 players. 11 even strength.

This type of game sure dampens down the skill level.

The "Captain Obvious" comment, the goalie stole the game.

Unreal that a team playing less than 24 hours and traveling would dominate that much.

They won, a slowed down game.

Has the coach bump ended? They do last around 60 games or so, at least the last two coach hires anyway.

Tocchet doesn't like regrouping? Puck possession? Dump and pray really dumbs the game down.

Pettersson has to stop trying to hit so much it is putting him out of position, he used to intercept passes now he is trying to be a telephone man, reach out and touch someone. (Old commercial), trying to make contact, staples, board battles. He used to evade them and make other players look silly trying to hit him, now he tries to initiate the contact which degrades his game.

Lots of moves could be made.

A win waaahhooo. Next game a loss?

Petey is trying to play RT game style. He’s gotten much better at it also IMO. But I agree it takes him of the most successful parts of his game in the pass interceptions and takeaways. I like RT play systems but believe not all players adapt the best and should be allowed to play to what got them to the NHL. Kuzy be a prime example. Petey’splay  has kinda sunk that line more than Kuzy and Miks play has.A good coach should put players in positions to win using the best attributes each has but within the system he wishes.

• Like 1

Kuzmeko was demoted for a game. He may be for one or two more. It happens. When a player (no matter where he comes from or how crappy his English is)

backs away from the style he was playing (on the first line), the coach has to deal with it. I personally, would have kept it behind closed doors. unfortunately

it was made very public. Hell the player (kuz) had the cameras on him right away and was forced to try and address it.

IMO; the asset wasn't handled great on this occasion. Didn't increase his trade value.  From the 1st to the fourth line. See if it works moving forward.

Doubt if it increased his trade value.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, dannydog said:

Petey is trying to play RT game style. He’s gotten much better at it also IMO. But I agree it takes him of the most successful parts of his game in the pass interceptions and takeaways. I like RT play systems but believe not all players adapt the best and should be allowed to play to what got them to the NHL. Kuzy be a prime example. Petey’splay  has kinda sunk that line more than Kuzy and Miks play has.A good coach should put players in positions to win using the best attributes each has but within the system he wishes.

found bruce Buedreau