[PGT] Minnesota @ Vancouver

Chickenspear

46 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Yikes:

I think between Coach Tocchet and the Vancouver media - Kuzmenko will be asking for a trade anyway.

Kuzmenko is 27 but he never played in the NHL until last year. He scored 39 goals and had 74 points, but was with good linemates. In his Russian hockey career he never scored more than 20 goals and only did that twice. It's like players who played with the Sedins and got career points - who's on your line matters!

Moving Kuzmenko to the forth line with a 15 pt player ( Phillip Di Giuseppe ), and a sophmore player who had 16 points last year (Nils Aman) is basically telling Kuzmenko the team has no faith in him. He was playing with a 28 pt player ( Ilya Mikheyev ) and a 102 pt player ( Elias Pettersson ). In the last 10 games where Canucks are 5-5, Pettersson has 7 points ( 4 points in 2 games ) and Mikheyev has 5 points, while Kuzmenko has 3 pts. 

42 minutes ago, hockeyfan-observer said:

Not sure why they continue to have slow starts at home  (Vegas, NJ, Wild) - I am sure the coaches bring it up all the time but it still takes about half a period before they get their legs going.

Otherwise, I thought they did okay tonight but they still need work on their zone exits. Multiple times, they have control in their zone - ring it around the boards or pass up  through the middle but just can not get it out - next 20-30s the Wild are buzzing around our net.  I hope they can improve on their exit processes moving forward as the opponent pressure seems to be a bit self made given they had puck control moments before - maybe teams have scouted this.  In the NJ game, the same thing happened on the winning goal.

Overall I am happy with the victory tonight but definitely feel there is more work to be done on their zone exits before they can contend.  However, that can be for another day.  Also a shout out to DeSmith for holding the fort in the first.

Rest up guys and get ready for a hungry Canes team on Saturday after their last two setbacks.

Just Win.jpg

Agreed. It wasn't totally pretty, but better than some of their recent wins. Maybe the Wild is that bad, but this at least was an improvement over some recent crap.

Hmmm.  They had a fast and furious first five minutes against New Jersey.  That didn't work.  They boxed out the crease like they were practicing that first period tonight, DeSmith stands on his head first star no doubt, they pull a Jersey and score against the flow, Hoglander with the hot stick.  

Edited by Future Considerations
Spelling is important...

Just now, Future Considerations said:

Hmmm.  They had a fast and furious first five minutes against New Jersey.  That didn't work.  They boxed out the crease like they were practicing that first period tonight, DeSmith stands on his head first star no doubt, they pull a Jersey and score against the flow, Hoglander with the hot stick.  

I thought at times from the second period on that kuzmenko had a much better game but his advanced stats were so bad so uff.

maybe I was just seeing what I wanted to see.

want to acknowledge Hronek had a much stronger game loved the way he played on a 2 on 1 specifically.

Big Z can still see the reads and learning is coming. But he used his size to disrupt plays lots of times and that’s something we’ve needed on the backend. I like his compete and I like the package. im hopeful that after learning the system, and time with Foote and potentially a better partner we see the best form of his in his career.

Miller is an engine. Surprised he didn’t get a goal on the Pp at least.

Hoglander I hope he can sustain this level of play.

Boeser another impressive game. He looked great to me all around.

we need to start games off better though this is concerning 

fun game though and we needed the W!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I think between Coach Tocchet and the Vancouver media - Kuzmenko will be asking for a trade anyway.

Kuzmenko is 27 but he never played in the NHL until last year. He scored 39 goals and had 74 points, but was with good linemates. In his Russian hockey career he never scored more than 20 goals and only did that twice. It's like players who played with the Sedins and got career points - who's on your line matters!

Moving Kuzmenko to the forth line with a 15 pt player ( Phillip Di Giuseppe ), and a sophmore player who had 16 points last year (Nils Aman) is basically telling Kuzmenko the team has no faith in him. He was playing with a 28 pt player ( Ilya Mikheyev ) and a 102 pt player ( Elias Pettersson ). In the last 10 games where Canucks are 5-5, Pettersson has 7 points ( 4 points in 2 games ) and Mikheyev has 5 points, while Kuzmenko has 3 pts. 

I disagree, if the team had no faith in him he would've been a scratch tonight. And it would've been very easy.

He's in this spot b/c he hasn't figured out the non-negotiables (things you need to do to win a cup) and he isn't scoring to atleast make up for it.

Its clear he's not a great fit. And I love Kuz, so it pains me to say that, but they need him to be a shooting threat & he's just not that. He's a playmaker that's strength is the possession game down-low. He either needs to adapt (shoot more & get in the mindset Tocchet wants) or we need to move him along. But we really need to move him as an asset not an anchor.

6 minutes ago, R3aL said:

Big Z can still see the reads and learning is coming. But he used his size to disrupt plays lots of times and that’s something we’ve needed on the backend. I like his compete and I like the package. im hopeful that after learning the system, and time with Foote and potentially a better partner we see the best form of his in his career.

I agree completely. There's been some negativity but I'm not down on Zadorov at all.

The end of the game he makes a play with scheer strength pushing Maroon off the puck (not a small guy at all) and it leads to the end of Minny's comeback attempt, and the end of the game.

He's got the size and physical ability to be a real force in small area situations. And I think he's done a decent job of that. Maybe he's still adjusting (and playing with Myers doesn't help) but I've seen alot I really like so far. 

And I also agree on Hronek, it was a really nice bounce-back game for him. He's still a really good player, no one can be expected to have 82 great games. 

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

The stick jersey is the best Johnny Canuck one is 2nd 

I think we lost to NYR because of that skate jersey that is bad luck I'm a former player I think things jinx players and that is a bad omen

Let me guess…your playing days where cut short by multiple concussions?

35 minutes ago, AnotherCanucksFan said:

I doubt it's permanent. Toccchet I think, was trying to send him a message. I'd be shocked if this is permanent. More then likely the coach's attempt at a kick 

in the pants and get him more motivated. I highly doubt he stays on the 4th line. That's nuts for everyone. When Kuzmenko says he understands, I'm not

convinced he really does. 

I saw 2nd period and first 15 min of the 3rd, imo minny hd nothing during that time and Canucks were unlucky to not be up 4-0 

miller hit post from the goal line , had 2 other point blank chances 

Kuzy messed up a point blank chance 

brock on breakaway hit post 

I didn’t see 1st period 

• ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, DelPiLeo said:

This season the Canucks is doing quite well when playing with the lead.

We have been so much better than last year when it comes to protecting leads  - last year was a complete gong show… how many leads did we blow - wasn’t it some sorta record?

3 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

The stick jersey is the best Johnny Canuck one is 2nd 

I think we lost to NYR because of that skate jersey that is bad luck I'm a former player I think things jinx players and that is a bad omen

I completely agree that the stick in rink from the 70’s is the best jersey…

C3128FCA-0B57-4D05-A7E8-09534664A56A.jpeg

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

We didn't see much of Kuzy in the 3rd but I liked his movement on the PP and that backcheck he did have in the 3rd. Real tough to not see him clicking though. Miller-Boeser and Petey-Kuzy firing on all cylinders which they are capable of doing makes us a great scoring team. Hopefully it all gets going.

Hoggy is making up for some goals in the meantime so that's nice.

Kuzzy is too skilled to be on the 4th line... he needs to figure it out sooner rather than later or we might ship him out. What would be a fair return for him?

And great job to De Smith. He looked so solid today! Nice to see him do well and give a clutch backup start.

Edited by Super19
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, cusm said:

From the perspective of someone who missed the first 13 minutes, that was a good and consistently dominant game by the Nucks.
And it's all the more surprising when people get so hung up on those first 13 minutes. 
For the majority of the game, the Wild didn't look good. 

Enjoyed the game 🙂

I saw the whole game, Minni came out hot after a big win against Calgary, they were feeling good with their streak, the Canucks started slow, kind of a NJ hangover, maybe a little nervous. But, they kept Minni outside most of the time even when they were dominating zone time. The coaching staff made great adjustments on the fly, and the team dominated the 2nd & 3rd. Overall it was a well coached and well played game by the Canucks. I noticed that DeSmith is great with his paddle breaking up passes and clearing the puck aggressively. Maybe better than any goalie I've seen recently. He was definitely first star, but I don't think Minni got goalied. I saw a few Myers haters complaining about his game. I think he played a solid game, so did Foote, as he was out there at the end defending the win.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1