Rogers may abandon broadcasting national NHL games so the Blue Jays can chase after Shohei Ohtani

Miss Korea

13 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Of course insurance would cover his contract but then Rogers would be left with no NHL and no Ohtani.

Is it of course?

If I was an insurance company, I don't know I would want to take on that kind of a risk.  Just because someone wants to insure something, doesn't necessarily mean a company will offer insurance on it.

4 minutes ago, Goalie29 said:

Is it of course?

If I was an insurance company, I don't know I would want to take on that kind of a risk.  Just because someone wants to insure something, doesn't necessarily mean a company will offer insurance on it.

Good point but everything has a point where the reward covers the risk. Not being familiar with the insurance industry I have no idea where that point would be? What % of the contract value would cover the risk?

2 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Good point but everything has a point where the reward covers the risk. Not being familiar with the insurance industry I have no idea where that point would be? What % of the contract value would cover the risk?

I have heard that not every contract gets insured, but I have no idea what the criteria is, or whether it's the team's choice or the insurer's choice.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

So in other words he was injured.

The amount of games he's been shut down for isn't close to the total you're suggesting. Last year final 1 month, 2020 the last week, 2019 the final 2 1/2 weeks. The other 3 years he played until season's end.

lol you are literally cherry picking when the team is being cautious with him the first couple years.. how many games have he missed the last 3 seasons? bo missed as much games in the last 3 years as ohtani have

5 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

And yet you cannot see the difference between the 2 situations.

Enjoy your day.

and you can not see the difference between the financial impact it'll have for the jays.. if they only care about winning the world series they would have made trades to push the team over the top instead of all the stuff they have done in recent years. it's all about profit

7 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

and you can not see the difference between the financial impact it'll have for the jays.. if they only care about winning the world series they would have made trades to push the team over the top instead of all the stuff they have done in recent years. it's all about profit

giphy.gif

14 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

An utterly foolish article written by an utterly foolish man. Ohtani underwent Tommy John surgery in 2018 which kept him off the mound for 2 seasons and just recently underwent an operation for a torn ulnar ligament and will not pitch next season. He could easily be damaged goods within a few years. Of course insurance would cover his contract but then Rogers would be left with no NHL and no Ohtani.

I hope they pay him 600 million over 10 years. Millenial talent. 

13 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I'm OK with them signing him. It's not my money paying him. I have no idea what revenue Ryu brought to the team, I have never seen any figures. If you have a link I'd like to see it.

The NHL broadcasting rights are lucrative at the right price.

I don't have any links, and it's difficult to really quantify sponsorship deals.  Obviously we have no clue how much money companies like Samsung gave to the Blue Jays.  But I do know that Ryu brought so much Jays exposure to South Korea that some of their backstop ads were in full Korean.  Just like how some of the Ichiro ads in Seattle were in full Japanese.  I would expect the exact same thing wherever Ohtani ends up.

Difficult to determine what the right price for an NHL deal was, but it certainly wasn't $500 million per year.