Troll or not Troll? Can a fan be disappointed in an aspect of their team and still be a fan? I have made this post directly Canuck fan related.

Tocchet.A.Hockey.God

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The fact you care enough to have an opinion on this team makes you a fan.  Otherwise there is an infinite amount of other things to do in your life than spend time thinking about or posting about what's good or bad about the Canucks.

Trolls are anti Canucks fans.  Different thing altogether.  Not sure why people waste time in their lives to be one.

Thing is, the internet allows opportunity for people to disguise who/what they are (just had this conversation with someone).

I'm a little jaded and have a hard time trusting....so when someone's constantly "on" my team, I become suspicious. If that's their MO it stands out for me. My deal though. 

But there definitely are people who just get their jollies out of stirring up sh. Maybe they don't get enough attention and it gives them a spotlight. Just love to engage in the fight more than really supporting a cause.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thing is, the internet allows opportunity for people to disguise who/what they are (just had this conversation with someone).

I'm a little jaded and have a hard time trusting....so when someone's constantly "on" my team, I become suspicious. If that's their MO it stands out for me. My deal though. 

But there definitely are people who just get their jollies out of stirring up sh. Maybe they don't get enough attention and it gives them a spotlight. Just love to engage in the fight more than really supporting a cause.

Maybe, I do question some people on here as well, but a lot of the time I do find majority of them do post things positive about the team too.  Might just be that we all feel it more when the team is struggling, so people vent more, lash out more, etc.

It is all well and good to welcome all and sundry to vent and rage or whatever; others don't have to like it; we can put them on 'Ignore', etc.

But when a post like this, after all their other trash posts, is so long-winded and full of questionable 'facts', bragging about their 'hockey careers, etc, I call Bullshit! 

And TROLL!  There is just too much bait for this Fish Cop to ignore.

It used to be right in the forum rules on CDC re: trolling behaviour.  I don't know if this forum has any rules, lol; but I hope we do, and can ban this type of continued intentional irritation of the fans on the Canucks Fan Forum.

'Ignore' doesn't work when the TROLLS are successful; people quote the crap and respond to it; and the TROLLS fill up the board with crap.

Please mods, Ban The Troll!

We don't have to be nice to people who are not nice to us; (Turn the other cheek never worked for Canucks or their fans).

Joy!  To all.  What a fun team we have this season.  GO CANUCKS GO!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, JIAHN said:

I think it is a fair question to ask, if you are truly trying to learn the answer. If you want to lean from the comments.

My definitions are as follows:

Troll : Someone only here to incite havoc on fans. Knowingly, and consistently just trying to piss off the average fan who follows these boards.

Fan: Someone who actually cares about the team, in what ever way they they see fit. But this comes with a caveat, in that the fan should frequent the boards enough to be able to identify, some of the more learnid posters......Joe in Smithers, DLC, Bob Long, to name a few. (Go to the leader boards and see who is commonly agreed with, and you will actually learn)

It is not that a fan can not have a different opinion. Hell! You may actually make a darn good point! But if you are extreme in your view point and get blasted on a regular basis, you may want to tone it down.

Note* When I want to make a strong point, I try hard to back it up with fact, and not opinion. I also will acknowledge good counter points, and actually try and see that persons point of view. 

As for example: Someone above noted that you thought Rick Tocchet was only a 3/4 line player in his career, then a Poster replied that he had almost 1000 points in his NHL career. Well, IMO, you should look up his stats to confirm, then if true, respond back to that poster, and acknowledge that point, afterwards, not using it as the basis of your argument, as posters remember what is said here, and will put you in the "Troll" category, if afterwards, you do not adjust your opinion. You can't simply say, yeah, but he scored his 1000 points with Mario, because then you are questioning why that coach thought Tocchet deserved to play with Mario. (This implies you are smarter that all these coaches, and a better scout than the professionals) and that points don't matter, and any Stanley cup rings he may or maynot have.

Enjoy the wins, and recognize that every team has ugly wins, and even lose game they should win. Again, note, that even DLC get frustrated when our team does not play well and will roast a player or the team for not playing well, but she also is the first to acknowledge, great games, and plays. (PS IMO, DLC is a superfan, with rose colored glasses, that have cracks in them, from games where she has thrown them against the wall!) But again, the point is, she and a large group of others, know the game and the teams history, and judge accordingly.

If, you can not, then maybe listen a little more, and learn. ( I am 66 and still learning, so it is never too late!) There are some incredible people on here, that have solid knowledgeable opinions! 

Cheers!

You are far too nice and helpful, Nut.

I am now in a mood.

String that troll up, Deb!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

Be the fan you want to be but don’t tell me how to be a fan. 

^ This. I had this as my .sig on the old forum for the longest time.

Oh, and toxic cheerleading is also a form of trolling.  But I'll leave it at that or else points might be assessed.  :classic_rolleyes:

49 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

^ This. I had this as my .sig on the old forum for the longest time.

Oh, and toxic cheerleading is also a form of trolling.  But I'll leave it at that or else points might be assessed.  :classic_rolleyes:

See though? You added one of those words to strengthen your point but it only really weakens it for me.

"Toxic". Cheerleading is kind of what fans do.

And no, points aren't assessed so that's more of the same.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Goal_thecup said:

It is all well and good to welcome all and sundry to vent and rage or whatever; others don't have to like it; we can put them on 'Ignore', etc.

But when a post like this, after all their other trash posts, is so long-winded and full of questionable 'facts', bragging about their 'hockey careers, etc, I call Bullshit! 

It used to be right in the forum rules on CDC re: trolling behaviour.  I don't know if this forum has any rules, lol; but I hope we do, and can ban this type of continued intentional irritation of the fans on the Canucks Fan Forum.

'Ignore' doesn't work when the TROLLS are successful; people quote the crap and respond to it; and the TROLLS fill up the board with crap.

We don't have to be nice to people who are not nice to us; (Turn the other cheek never worked for Canucks or their fans).

Spot on...nuff said 👍

11 hours ago, 4petesake said:

I definitely wouldn’t call you a troll but since you ask…when someone is hyper-fixated on something as you are with Tocchet people get annoyed with it when you start several threads and bring it up in multiple conversations. We get it - you don’t like the coach. You are more than welcome to your opinion and hell, there is always the possibility you’ll be proven right. 

Also suggesting that you have some special insight that others lack such as playing college hockey and that it makes your opinion more valid is not a strategy that will engage people. We used to have a goalie that posted here that played high level hockey (the NHL if I remember correctly) that was very interesting to listen to but he never talked down to other posters. People are willing to have a dialogue but no one wants to be lectured if you come across as a know-it-all.

At the end of the day you go ahead and post however you like but don’t expect a different result if nothing changes. I don’t normally tell people how to post but you asked so I answered. Cheers.

Idk why but what you said reminded me of the most infamous post on the CDC, "Burrows, do we really need him" 

Present day replacement post would be, if say Hughes was playing sick or injured and didn't play a couple of games very well..

I can only imagine if that was followed by a thread, "Hughes, do we really need him?" 

That would probably top it but omfg the forum would probably go crazy Lmao! Flamed? 

More like NUKED if anything!  

Now that was a troll for the ages...

• Cheers 1

I was the poster that said to sit Demko for tonight's game. I still think he's not 100%. We need him 100% for the playoffs.  Ergo, finding points in the season to get him rest are critical. And I really think this is one of those times. It's a marathon 82 game season. We dont need to run him like a horse, (Hughes too.) If you really are a former high level player that you say you are, you'd know the physical limitations running a 82 game season.  Plus teams are running traffic more in front of Demko. Pushing and pulling his legs each and every way. He is coming off surgery as well, and I'd rather risk a couple of games with DeSmith right now. Rest our star goalie a bit. No offense to Demko fans, but we need a healthy Demko for the playoffs.  If he goes down we're in deep shit.

Btw Tocchets okay, go make an anti Tocchet thread so you and other Tocchet haters can go nuts.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

30 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was the poster that said to sit Demko for tonight's game. I still think he's not 100%. We need him 100% for the playoffs.  Ergo, finding points in the season to get him rest are critical. And I really think this is one of those times. It's a marathon 82 game season. We dont need to run him like a horse, (Hughes too.) If you really are a former high level player that you say you are, you'd know the physical limitations running a 82 game season.  Plus teams are running traffic more in front of Demko. Pushing and pulling his legs each and every way. He is coming off surgery as well, and I'd rather risk a couple of games with DeSmith right now. Rest our star goalie a bit. No offense to Demko fans, but we need a healthy Demko for the playoffs.  If he goes down we're in deep shit.

Btw Tocchets okay, go make an anti Tocchet thread so you and other Tocchet haters can go nuts.

I'm a big fan of time management and an even bigger fan of rewarding players when they have a good game. DeSmith is clearly not playing this game tonight the coach has made his decision but I do believe DeSmith should play one soon. Maybe they want DeSmith reward to be playing TBL. I think Caroline is the easier team. Otherwise if we don't see DeSmith sooner than later it's another mistake by Tocchet.

The season is a marathon and Demko doesn't need to play 65-70 games. If Desmith keeps playing the way he is it is on the Coach to adjust and rest his starter. With the way Desmith has played so far I would have Demko's game #s around 55-59 not breaking into the 60s.

That all said, Demko is still elite and our starter.

Edited by CanuckFanForever
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

This is so spot on! I’ve been saying this forever, but it’s come with some criticism and a recent 2 day ban. Ignore is great, but is far from useful in these situations. Like so many aspects of life, what’s easier?! Throwing a bandaid at the issue (everything / everyone around it), or actually addressing the issues at its core?! For some odd reason, there’s been a reluctance to address the core of the issue (this forum & last) even though it is everywhere (In front of everyone’s face). It’s clearly an attempt to troll / stir the pot etc. There is 100% at least 2 people on here doing that to a significant level…Inc hate, toxicity and negativity, plus more. Opinions, discussion and disliking certain things is fine, but with these people, it’s gone far far beyond that constantly and consistently! Worse yet, when a bunch of people point out the wrongs (the things I mentioned), instead of listening, looking in the mirror, taking responsibility and changing, it’s just a bunch or arguing / a continuation of said behaviour. A lot of people come here as an escape (sometimes from not so good things) to enjoy conversation / discussion of the Canucks, hockey etc. Having a forum / threads consumed by the other nonsense completely takes away from that! I don’t need to hear over and over again that RT is a horrible coach, a criminal and a POS human being…..

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I know, Demko doesn't look like he's on his triple A game but I'm confident he'll pick it up with some rest, as far as Toc is concerned, I'm happy he likes a tougher team, not a butter soft roster that gets pummeled on.

Meh another day in canuckland...

• Cheers 1

We definitely have intentional trolls on this board, but there may be some people that simply have

little understanding of how much they are annoying the other fans.

The intentional trolls are a very odd group of folks that love to get under people's skin, mostly by

little put downs (especially using sarcasm) that communicate the opinion that the Canucks are

garbage; always have been; and always will be.  These trolls appear after a game has started and

when the Nucks are losing.  They come in when the emotions are high and start making comments that

they know will get people angry.  The motive is to piss as many people as they can.  It has nothing to

do with having a 'discussion' about the game or players. 

There are plenty of people on this board that have some real concerns about the team and there agenda

is authentic and respectful to the other fans.  Some of them know a hell of a lot about hockey, so they

often have some interesting insight as to what is happening on the ice.

I have blocked 3 members that I believe are trolls on this board.  I am not interested in what they have

to say about the Canucks, as they usually say the same thing over and over and over, etc.  It is so nice

not to read their drivel anymore.  Hale to the ignore option!

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

We definitely have intentional trolls on this board, but there may be some people that simply have

little understanding of how much they are annoying the other fans.

The intentional trolls are a very odd group of folks that love to get under people's skin, mostly by

little put downs (especially using sarcasm) that communicate the opinion that the Canucks are

garbage; always have been; and always will be.  These trolls appear after a game has started and

when the Nucks are losing.  They come in when the emotions are high and start making comments that

they know will get people angry.  The motive is to piss as many people as they can.  It has nothing to

do with having a 'discussion' about the game or players. 

There are plenty of people on this board that have some real concerns about the team and there agenda

is authentic and respectful to the other fans.  Some of them know a hell of a lot about hockey, so they

often have some interesting insight as to what is happening on the ice.

I have blocked 3 members that I believe are trolls on this board.  I am not interested in what they have

to say about the Canucks, as they usually say the same thing over and over and over, etc.  It is so nice

not to read their drivel anymore.  Hale to the ignore option!

Well trolls just need their ego's stroked for whatever reason, hence they get really mad when they get called out but either +/- attention is what they seem to crave.. 

Sounds like a lot of the Vancouver media also.. but that's clickbait too.. 

Meh

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, iceman1964 said:

Well trolls just need their ego's stroked for whatever reason, hence they get really mad when they get called out but either +/- attention is what they seem to crave.. 

Sounds like a lot of the Vancouver media also.. but that's clickbait too.. 

Meh

Absolutely.  Ignoring them is the best policy.  They won't stick around long if they can't get a rise out

of anyone.

I am on the fence about whether CanuckFanForever is a bot, troll or fan. 

The devout, unchanging and limited opinions expressed make me feel like they could be a bot. To me, it often feels unfamiliar from my usual human interactions (even when virtual). 

The troll angle could be achieved through AI effectively (see above). But to dedicate the amount of human effort just to troll… it bottles the mind. Just imagine what kind of joy that time and effort could bring the poster instead?!

So, I don’t think CanuckFanForever is a bot. I don’t think they are a troll. I think they are a fan who chooses to focus on negativity and proposes various changes to the team in the hopes that one of these proposals might one day hit and they can seek validation from others us.

I am guilty of calling CanuckFanForever a troll. I will correct myself going forward and not use that language. I look forward to further exchanges with you CanuckFanForever. I’ll continue respectfully questioning you and I expect the same. 

Edited by GrammaInTheTub