Who is the most boring generic random player that has ever played for the Canucks ?

Blue

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Josh Holden, 12 OA pick in ‘96 who was a good goal-scorer in junior but never panned out in the NHL. Had 13 pts in 46 games over 3 years then had cups of coffee in Toronto & Carolina before heading off to Europe. Boring because you always hoped for more from him.

Random but def not boring - Derek Sanderson.

He actually excelled in the playoffs.

He spoke out wanting to be a top two line center and got buried in the minors.

Quinn grabbed him in Toronto where he was awesome in the playoffs.

We could have given Bure the center he wanted but instead stuck him in the minors.

I love this topic, seen some good ones out there but when one considers “generic” imo you need to be uneventful from head to toe, front to back, side to side. 

1. Drafted in basically the middle of the draft - 113th OA

2. is the average age of a hockey player 28, average size 6ft 1”, 195lbs. 

3. Played at the most uneventful college possible - Brown University (4 years)

4. Developed just enough in the AHL - 85 games

5. played on 4 teams. 

6. Produces just enough to stay on the roster. 0.28ppg. Responsible defensively 

7. literally looks like a Mii 

8. appears to have no sense of humor or personality. 
9. Name is easy to spell and spells like it sounds. 

10. I also find Americans to be the most generic. They’re not from Canada, not from Europe. There is something very tidy about being from the USA. 
11. I also find that if you can remember a player at all from 10 years ago they aren’t generic enough. You’ll need to dig deep to remember this guy 10 years from now. 

the only thing that takes him out of a perfect 10.0 generic score is shooting right and playing right wing. He needs to be a lefty playing left wing for a perfect score. 

ladies and gentlemen, Sam Lafferty. 

Generic score 9.8

• Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Jack Skille.

He is my pick too. I couldn’t remember his name 😂. Even though he scored one fine goal handling the puck behind his back. Oh well….

edit: I take it back. Just watched some highlights from 2016 and he scored some nice goals with Baertchi. He was ok. 

Edited by Mr Wrong
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Pyatt was a solid player and had a tragic personal story.  Bernier was a pretty funny French guy with infamous hands of stone.

Best examples are cheap, low-profile players who were neither good nor bad, and didn't play for long.  Jack Skille.  Philip Larsen.  Marc-André Gragnani, Oscar Fantenberg, Tyler Graovac...

How random does it have to be?   A random player that wasn't here long, or just a random boring player from our own list, of boring players? 

Pyatt was the first player that came to mind, Trent Klatt the second - but i'm guessing i'm doing this wrong?    As for Klatt that's not quite a joke, but did feel rather generic, especially after the core we had before him, boring.  Definitely not a Momesso or Craven.  

As far as boring goes, Pyatt  fit the bill.   Big body that wouldn't use his size.   

Generic to me, is a player who played 500 or so games.    And well, definitely looked boring.   Mason Raymond would get there if he wasn't fast.   

We could have endless lists of guys who were fringe NHLers.   And a lot of them, actually weren't as boring as some who did play 500 plus games.   If the average generic career is 7 years, that's 500 plus games. 

Generic.   Used 7 years as the average, because the top 25%, play an average of 12 years, and the bottom 25% play an average of 2 years.   That leaves the leaves the middle ... generic guys. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Blue said:

That's a good one. He played 16 games in 2011 according to DB and I did not recognize him or his name at all.

Gillis signed him instead of Brendan Morrison who went on to have a pretty good year with CGY and he would have been awesome for us especially when malhotra went down …sigh

3 hours ago, cripplereh said:

He actually excelled in the playoffs.

He spoke out wanting to be a top two line center and got buried in the minors.

Quinn grabbed him in Toronto where he was awesome in the playoffs.

We could have given Bure the center he wanted but instead stuck him in the minors.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=19307

excelled in playoffs in Jr? 

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's a bingo! 

Still remember he went bar south off a point shot against his old team (Blues) in one of his first outtings with the Canucks.

Also never realized he could be the adult version of 'Junior' from 'Problem Child' LOL

Edited by Guest

6 hours ago, Miss Korea said:

Pyatt was a solid player and had a tragic personal story.  Bernier was a pretty funny French guy with infamous hands of stone.

Best examples are cheap, low-profile players who were neither good nor bad, and didn't play for long.  Jack Skille.  Philip Larsen.  Marc-André Gragnani, Oscar Fantenberg, Tyler Graovac...

I disagree... You use examples of players that were canucks for short periods of time and were never intended on being an important piece of the team.  So easy to see why they were 'boring'.  Right now we could add Studnika for example.... But that's only because he's an AHL player that has got a cup of coffee in the bigs. 

The two examples I chose, were supposed to be game changers, but ended up being generic, boring underwhelming. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Emerson Etem.  The guy's purpose was literally so we could say at least we traded failed draft pick Nicklas Jensen for something.  Played 30 games or so for us and then we cut him loose and his career was over a few months after Jensen's.

Etem is up ...er mid, there for sure.

But one may also be behind the bench, the often forgotten Jason King. So boring in fact people are surprised to remember he's still here 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I disagree... You use examples of players that were canucks for short periods of time and were never intended on being an important piece of the team.  So easy to see why they were 'boring'.  Right now we could add Studnika for example.... But that's only because he's an AHL player that has got a cup of coffee in the bigs. 

The two examples I chose, were supposed to be game changers, but ended up being generic, boring underwhelming. 

Yes this thread would be a lot more fun, if we got into players that were around for awhile.   Think there is some misunderstanding on what "generic" is.   They are the cheap eggs at the store, everyone buys them, or the french loaf of bread.   Every team has them too.   And they don't have cups of coffee in the NHL.   Think 5-7 seasons, not parts of 2-4. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, IBatch said:

How random does it have to be?   A random player that wasn't here long, or just a random boring player from our own list, of boring players? 

Pyatt was the first player that came to mind, Trent Klatt the second - but i'm guessing i'm doing this wrong?    As for Klatt that's not quite a joke, but did feel rather generic, especially after the core we had before him, boring.  Definitely not a Momesso or Craven.  

As far as boring goes, Pyatt  fit the bill.   Big body that wouldn't use his size.   

Generic to me, is a player who played 500 or so games.    And well, definitely looked boring.   Mason Raymond would get there if he wasn't fast.   

We could have endless lists of guys who were fringe NHLers.   And a lot of them, actually weren't as boring as some who did play 500 plus games.   If the average generic career is 7 years, that's 500 plus games. 

Generic.   Used 7 years as the average, because the top 25%, play an average of 12 years, and the bottom 25% play an average of 2 years.   That leaves the leaves the middle ... generic guys. 

Trent Klatt was the first one that came to mind for me. I only remember him because he was the Sedins' first linemate and yet he somehow played over 700 games.

• Upvote 1

Boring:

Jim Benning 

Marek Malik

Trent Klatt

Bryan Allen 

Beauvillier

Beranek

Cullimore 

Dermott

Dickinson 

LE

Sam Gagne

Bear 

Bear

Granlund 

Helmer

Hutton

Jokinen

Kron

Noonan

Poolman

Plavsic

Pyatt

Schaller

Studnicka 

Strudwick (ok at least he fought)

Valk

Zezel

There are others.   Some of them, played better elsewhere.   And no boring doesn't equal  bad either, not always anyways.     

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1