Who is the most boring generic random player that has ever played for the Canucks ?

Blue

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Not sure if hes the most, but I'd add Marcus Granlund lol. Sat there, ate 17-18 minutes a night, did nothing with it. While management/fans were on a high about being geniuses winning the Shinkaruk trade lol. 

Made a list .. didn't see this and yes, that's a great example.    

37 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I actually didn't think Jason King had a boring story or Canucks career at all.  He entered the league setting the world on fire.  He had something like 12 goals in his first 25 games as a rookie...there was leaguewide talk about him being a potential Calder Trophy candidate and certainly lots of talk in Vancouver...then he totally hit a wall, didn't score a goal or maybe even a point for the next fifteen or twenty games or so, then went from the toast of the town to sent down to the minors and basically never made it back again save for a handful of games before retiring.

He was like a mini Jonathan Cheechoo super lite story.

Gary Leeman was a 40 plus goal scorer, i had some hopes when we got him.   A lot of Quins revival stories worked out, some didn't. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Gary Leeman was a 40 plus goal scorer, i had some hopes when we got him.   A lot of Quins revival stories worked out, some didn't. 

50 goal scorer.  He was awesome in Toronto and then Calgary trading Gilmour for him became their horrible fleecing.

We had Jimmy Carson and Gary Leeman back to back as reclamation projects.  Carson even played a few games in the 1994 Cup run.  Neither guy ever found his form again but I also don't think either one cost us much to give a shot.  Didn't do much as Canucks but both were great players when they were at their best.  Carson seemed to be headed for the Hall of Fame hand in hand with Luc Robitaille before the Gretzky trade.

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

50 goal scorer.  He was awesome in Toronto and then Calgary trading Gilmour for him became their horrible fleecing.

We had Jimmy Carson and Gary Leeman back to back as reclamation projects.  Carson even played a few games in the 1994 Cup run.  Neither guy ever found his form again but I also don't think either one cost us much to give a shot.  Didn't do much as Canucks but both were great players when they were at their best.  Carson seemed to be headed for the Hall of Fame hand in hand with Luc Robitaille before the Gretzky trade.

Carson and Gelinas.    They were two guys that I thought would work out, Gelinas ... he worked out great but thought they'd both do it.   Gelinas of course, was the opposite of a boring player.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Carson and Gelinas.    They were two guys that I thought would work out, Gelinas ... he worked out great but thought they'd both do it.   Gelinas of course, was the opposite of a boring player.   

I can't say I had big expectations for Carson or Leeman when they were acquired but I'm sentimental and I like comebacks so I was glad to have them.  Also they were good enough players that I just like the idea of them having been Canucks.  Like Ryan Walter, Esa Tikkanen, Randy Gregg, Tom Fergus, Tom Kurvers, Andrew McBain, Dan Quinn, etc.  But I expected relatively little and hoped for the best.  Same as how I wanted to sign Owen Nolan when he had that tryout offer in the preseason that one year.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

9 hours ago, Snoop Hogg said:

Eric Weinrich

ABFF8A21-0076-4CE7-9341-FE869A9F9610.jpeg

I *think* he was an old friend of Dave Nonis (so I'm guessing that *MIGHT* have had an impact on his acquisition).  Problem with Weinrich as that he was too slow even for the old 'clutch & grab' NHL.  With the changed rules (where you can literally just breath on another player & get a minor penalty magnified Weinrich's weaknesses significantly.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Tim Schiller was the pluggiest plug of all plugs.

Richard Park also comes to mind. Andrew Ebbett. 

Didn't score.  Wasn't a playmaker.  Didn't particularly check/defend well.  Didn't fight.  Didn't hit.  Sucked up oxygen (only Mats Sundin sucked up more after a 30 second shift 🤣) I guess well.

At least those two forgettable players (Park & Ebbett) only were signed to one year deals.  

How the **** did Jim Benning sign Schaller to a contract with any kind of term beyond one year?  Did Schaller have nekked pictures of JB as collateral?🕵️‍♀️

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I *think* he was an old friend of Dave Nonis (so I'm guessing that *MIGHT* have had an impact on his acquisition).  Problem with Weinrich as that he was too slow even for the old 'clutch & grab' NHL.  With the changed rules (where you can literally just breath on another player & get a minor penalty magnified Weinrich's weaknesses significantly.

I thought Weinrich was quite a good defenseman.  He was just on the 18th hole of his career when we acquired him.  Well over 1100 games, good for 20 to 40 points from the blueline pretty much his entire career.  He was one of the guys like Dave Andreychuk and Brett Hull where the 2005 lockout meant the end of days...age and speed being a factor as you say.

• Cheers 2

8 hours ago, Toni Zamboni said:

c86fef9e-922f-4507-bc55-2a5642e96acb_480

I was at that game (was given tickets by a supplier to our company who had season tickets).  I remember that rush (didn’t score but it was the first time of many that he brought everyone to their feet) it’s seared into my brain.  My favourite Canuck of all time!

My Granddaughter has been debating which Canuck jersey she’s getting with her babysitting $ (think she’s settled on Huggy now), but I’ve got a black skate with #10 coming thatll  show up just before Christmas -I’ll wear it for the first time Christmas Day and it’ll spark a huge fun Christmas Day debate !

• Upvote 1

Barry Pederson

Had three 40 goal seasons with Boston before we traded him for Cam Neely

He scored two 20 something goal seasons for us then fell off the map. We traded him to TO for one season then traded back for him the next season?

(OEL deja vu all over again.)

NB: it was a cold rainy September morning when they announced this trade and the rain hid my teenage tears as I walked to the bus stop.

Screenshot_20231209_084258_Google.jpg

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I can't say I had big expectations for Carson or Leeman when they were acquired but I'm sentimental and I like comebacks so I was glad to have them.  Also they were good enough players that I just like the idea of them having been Canucks.  Like Ryan Walter, Esa Tikkanen, Randy Gregg, Tom Fergus, Tom Kurvers, Andrew McBain, Dan Quinn, etc.  But I expected relatively little and hoped for the best.  Same as how I wanted to sign Owen Nolan when he had that tryout offer in the preseason that one year.

Ryan Walter for sure was a solid addition on our fourth line ... Tikkanen still had jam.   Tough to say "boring", but Leeman was boring in his tiny sample size, I guess is like saying was hoping for more.    This is an odd topic given it's subjective, and it's more interesting if we avoid the fringe guys.   

Edited by IBatch