[PGT] Hurricanes at Canucks, Dec.9th

Roger Neilsons Towel

1 minute ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Who projected that 

Vegas, TBL, BOS, and NYR where the projected cup favorite's this year. Yes in the past years the Canes have had a good defensive structure but I don't think they are Cup favorite's that a reach

The Empties, of course. 
Tampa was not on the list as a favourite and neither were the Bruins. 
Oilers, Vegas and Toronto and Canes were tops. Raggedy Andys are pick suckers. 

40 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I was surprised to see that JT was right-handed.   Having never played hockey, is that common? (Being right handed, but shooting left).  I just thought that Canada produced an abnormally high percentage of left handed people

Even though 90% of the population is right handed there are more left handed shooters in the NHL than righties. I'm right handed but I golf, hit a baseball, and shoot hockey left handed. I find I like having my more skilled hand being on top of the stick for control, deking, and maneuverability. I think a lot of it has to do with which stick you first get in your hands as a kid.

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Yes our core is just entering their prime and are elite. We have 7 years for sure of great play. Could be more too, considering how young Petey and Hughes are. 

I think we have a 4 year window. Maybe a little more. Miller is already 30 Boeser isn't going to age well I think he has foot speed issues. That leaves Hughes and Petey still in their primes. Demko is going to get a bigger contract in that time and we the Canucks will start drafting in the late 20's so not the most elite player's to fill in for the loses we take to the rest of the team. I don't think people really understand how important Hog's is to this team in the future. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Empties, of course. 
Tampa was not on the list as a favourite and neither were the Bruins. 
Oilers, Vegas and Toronto and Canes were tops. Raggedy Andys are pick suckers. 

I don't think anyone really takes the Oilers and leaf's seious as Cup contenders. Bos was 1 of the best in the League last season had an early exist yes but that does happen

I don't think anyone really takes the Oilers and leaf's seious as Cup contenders. Bos was 1 of the best in the League last season had an early exist yes but that does happen

Are you kidding? Many analysts projected the Oilers and the Leafs to be SC contenders.

https://www.nhl.com/news/stanley-cup-predictions-for-2023-24-nhl-season

• Cheers 2

Just now, CanuckFanForever said:

yeah but seriously are they

Well we had a hand in that. At least with the Oilers.

So it's easy to state things after the fact when you have a sample size and things don't unfold as MOST expected them to. 

15 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I just have to laugh at people when they get mad at the schedule. Do they think they're royalty or something and everything in life revolves around them? I mean there are 82 games in the schedule. They can't play everyday. If they play Monday are they then mad they don't play Tuesday, and then mad again Thursday, Friday, and Sunday?  I honestly don't get it. 😂

Ya, I am just not even sure what the compliant actually is…

I can’t imagine anyone is upset that we are getting a crap ton of Saturday Hockey Night in Canada games.  That seems like a great thing, both for exposure and the ability for fans from outside the lower mainland get to some games.

If Tuesday games or a two day break is the issue I am also not sure what the concern is.  We have to play some (many) weekday games with an 82 game schedule.  The guys getting a Sunday off at home with their families when their kids aren’t in school because of a two day break also seems like a good thing.  If I were a coach I would be using that as extra motivation!  Win on national TV and the skate tomorrow is optional or it is a day off.  Lose and you drag your asses in here for some video and on ice drills.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

This proves yours and my point. Just because they won last night by a 1 goal margin and all of a sudden they're some top team? If they had lost last night all your stats would show they are a .500 team. 

People who are pointing at the negative posters after this 1 win are silly.

People can believe what they want to believe. But I see a .500 team that's still riding the high of a great start. They have slowly been falling back the last month. I woukd love that trend to change. I love wins, but we need to start stringing together more of them. And that starts with better play. 

But they didn't lose last night, and their overall record shows that they are a top team. VGK, BOS, and others also had bad stretches of .500 hockey over 10 to 12 games, some even under .500.  

The Canucks have only lost 2 games in a row twice this season.  That's pretty consistent in terms of winning games.  

Also, yes they only won by 1 goal last night, but they also only lost by 1 goal in several contests too.  Are we gonna disregard it the other way too?

13 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I just have to laugh at people when they get mad at the schedule. Do they think they're royalty or something and everything in life revolves around them? I mean there are 82 games in the schedule. They can't play everyday. If they play Monday are they then mad they don't play Tuesday, and then mad again Thursday, Friday, and Sunday?  I honestly don't get it. 😂

Devils advocate;

Suppose your only time off work were Sunday’s and Monday’s and the Canucks rarely played on those days. It might be annoying to be in that position. 

I’m not saying anyone is entitled to have a schedule revolve around them however I can imagine some fans missing many games and feeling the schedule is lopsided. 

Just now, -dlc- said:

Are you kidding? Many analysts projected the Oilers and the Leafs to be SC contenders.

Well, in all fairness, the word analyst doesn't hold and of the worth it used to. Most pundits are so busy kissing Rogers and top advertisers that asses that they have forgotten to actually do their homework and make statements based on facts. Button is one of the few that didn't hop on the Oilers and Leafs fanwagon and called out there weaknesses for what they are.

7 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

Everybody's thinking Nice Thoughts here.

Elsewhere, Damp Duvets are heaped in a corner Down in the Dungeon of Despair.

[Check out FZ's 'The Torture Never Stops' on YouTube.]

Dimly drowning their sorrows of a win that deepens their desire to be right rather than dabble in delight like the rest of us.

Oilers have been a streaky team for years. They frequently go on long winning streaks. Don’t discount them completely because they had a bad start. 
Skinner has been playing better and they are winning a lot lately. 
We can’t do the win one lose one thing for much longer. 
Looks like the home stand has been good for getting some coaching in and the team is starting to look more focused last couple games (at least after first 10m against Minni). 

17 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm not sure what qualifies you to assess NHL coaches? Please enlighten me. Is this referring to RT?

3-time Stanley Cup champion with the Pittsburgh Penguins: 1992 (as player), 2016 (as assistant coach); and 2017 (as assistant coach).
Selected to four NHL All-Star Games: 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1993
Inducted into Flyers Hall of Fame: 2021

I'm not sure how he's "inexperienced"?  Spent 22 years playing in the NHL. Played for his country 3 times. Assistant coach, then coach. Sure, maybe as a head coach he hasn't been there yet but that also depends on the team he's coaching. How they respond, etc.

The great one won many Cups as a player how his coaching career go. Even he said afterwards he found it hard to coach what he knew.

Their are tons of assistant coaches that have won stanley cups and yet they are ofter over looked for head coaching jobs by guys who win as AHL head coaches I wonder why.

I never said Tocchet can't be a head coach or a great one at that. I have called him Inexperienced the team he coached was the Yotes what experience are you going too get from that. Just like when Allan Coached MTL those where bad years for them. Allen took 3-4 years to finally get it right with the Canucks 

Edited by CanuckFanForever

4 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

yeah but seriously are they

Any hockey analyst with any integrity called out the Leafs and Oilers for their top heavy, low depth, bad D, suspect goaltending teams. Decent teams, maybe. Cup favourites was laughable and I would tell anyone that listened that all summer. 

• Cheers 1

The great one won many Cups as a player how his coaching career go. Even he said afterwards he found it hard to coach what he knew.

Their are tons of assistant coaches that have won stanley cups and yet they are offer looked for head coaching jobs by guys who win as AHL head coaches I wonder why.

I never said Tocchet can't be a head coach or a great one at that. I have called him Inexperienced the team he coached was the Yotes what experience are you going too get from that. Just like whe Allan Coached MTL those where bad years for them. Allen took 3-4 years to finally get it right with the Canucks 

We're talking about Tocchet though...keep it to him as the other stuff means nothing in relation to his success or failure.

I can't even understand the rest of this red herring.

12 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Being right handed and shooting left is very common. Often distinctively shooting left to right. / One would think there would not be as much power

with your off hand but most players are like that from bantam, even younger. I was automatically like that when I started; Didn't change when I was asked to at 

eight years old. Went that way for 38 more years. Take backhanded shots that way too, though you don't see as many players using the backhand as the old days.

Ya me too. My dad made me use a straight blade for the first 3/4 years and I didn't know which I was so I did both. I couldn't break a pain of glass that way but I could pass better than most on the team and stick handle a little better than average too. Once I got a curved stick my goals went up but I had to take a year off due to a knee injury. When I came I had a fluke year scoring 76 goals in 22 games playing against players 2/3 years older with a result of earning an invite letter to the Montreal Canadiens system. It was an odd time back then, rabbit ears for TV and 2/3 stations only. I didn't even watch that much hockey on TV, I played because that is what the majority of kids did, I played up and down in age groups as we had "all star" or "travel teams" and rules were much more relaxed. So we sat around the table, I asked what money could be earned and decided I didn't want to go by myself at 14/15. I was like 5'10" and a loaf of bread shy of 100 lbs ;). I did get a shot later at 22/23 6'2" and 205 lbs but that went no where as I got beat up by two 18 year old's in practice. One had massive hands, from forehead to chin.

Back to handed my first curved stick was a right because all the lefts were sold out, so right I became but I could still turn it around and shoot left sometimes.

Baseball, more comfortable right but could go either, same with golf, throwing, writing. RHD definitely better but either way.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I hate it too. I have family who’ll send out an email and preface it with “Hi Y’all.”

It annoys the hell out of me.

I'm a bit of a y'all'er at times.

It's the redneck coming out in me. Yeeha.