[PGT] Hurricanes at Canucks, Dec.9th

I think the new line combinations have worked out well for Tocchet.    Both Lafferty and Mikheyev give that line some fore-checking.  And Hoglander has turning into an impact player for the Canucks this year.  He's no longer a 4th liner.  Kuzmenko needs to get back to the basics.  Push through adversity better.  Another chance in this game he would have buried last year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

But we lead the league in goals with Kuzy cold this year. 

He showed what he can do in a different system, there's a good fit out there .

Maybe New Jersey.  EDM, or TO. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Vancan said:

I secretly believe TB is the dark horse to win the East in the playoffs. A Lighting team that has not been to the finals 4 straight years, and is well rested is scary as fuck. Mark my words there purposely playing coy and playing 70ish percent till playoff time.

Sorry rambling on, main purpose was to say don't kill yourself trying to win non conference teams, do it with west teams below us. 

Those are games (including last nights, CAR didn't have Svecknikov last playoffs, and outplayed Florida every single game),  are games you want to see how you stack up.   If the goal is the cup, it's also nice to see how those games go.   This year teams take us a lot more seriously then they have ... well in awhile to say the least, too.   We won't see as many back up goalies for the rest of the way. 

If there is anything the team can take away from the last 11 games ... it's that they can draw on coming back after a loss and winning the next game.   That should become awfully important in the postseason.   Maybe this is the start of the winning a few again.   As long as we can make up 6 more games, and are .500 we get in.   Of course we don't want that - but every point helps.    Also, this team isn't bolstering there place in the standings, with OT and loser points either.    There is no loser points in the post season.    

As for TB, yes they are a contender.   And should remain one, for at least a couple more years. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Update on road to the playoffs:

image.png.fe149d8310b130c12dbdcc74e8035320.png

Actual results required might be easier than this, depending on how our Pacific division rivals below us play. Currently, there is a very large gap between us at (effectively) 3rd in the Pacific and the 4th place Oilers beneath us.

We should be fine with 97 points...as in safe.   Crazy to be able to say this, approaching mid Dec... We only need to be something like 6 games above .500 for the rest of the season.   Plus we have barely seen any OT (that's amazing!), our RW and ROW has a very comfortable lead on any tie breakers.    Know it hasn't been nearly as much fun as our start.   It shows that the team is buying into systems.   Which of course, is there so when players are flat, the team still can win games, and have something to fall back on.   It's not just goaltending,  getting us points, or keeping us from drowning.   We tread some water ... and well, would be seriously disappointed, if we didn't make it.  

The rest of this month (despite some tough teams) is a favourable schedule to gain some ground again.   Believe we will.   Home ice, is going to be an awfully important thing.   Given we are almost certainly going to be playing one of LA, Vegas, Dallas or COL the first round.    There is a chance however, that we could make our own luck.   And play either EDM or a wild card from the Central.   Sure hope that's the case. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 hours ago, Pickly said:

Got a feeling Kuzys time in Vancouver is running out. They could use a big body on the wing. 

Isnt skill much more important in today's NHL... if big body was important Kassian would still be playing, Lucic would be useful, and Puljujarvi would be in North America. 

1 hour ago, Canuck You said:

Watching this makes me wish we had a Brock Boeser emoji to work with ... Longest serving Canuck,  exactly the sort of stand up, character guy you want on your team.    Then again i'd also like a Miller and Demko one too lol.  So need to stop somewhere.    If he wins the Richard trophy this season,  would probably be the best comeback season, in club history. 

A lot of things to be happy about this season.   Love how he said he isn't focussed on a "number", and how committed he is to playing the right way.   Brocks the poster boy of following Tochetts advice, and isn't the only one either. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Watching this makes me wish we had a Brock Boeser emoji to work with ... Longest serving Canuck,  exactly the sort of stand up, character guy you want on your team.    Then again i'd also like a Miller and Demko one too lol.  So need to stop somewhere.    If he wins the Richard trophy this season,  would probably be the best comeback season, in club history. 

A lot of things to be happy about this season.   Love how he said he isn't focussed on a "number", and how committed he is to playing the right way.   Brocks the poster boy of following Tochetts advice, and isn't the only one either. 

If anyone can push it, It's you @IBatch Let it flow and make it happen!

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, -dlc- said:

Well that was a helluva lot of fun!

DID YOU GUYS SEE JT'S GOAL!!! FANFREAKINTASTIC. He's so good. 

And good on Petey for getting on track...I loved how happy Lafferty was when he scored. 

Glad they took this one....always get nervous when it's a one goal difference as time winds down.

Sat in the fancy section upstairs with all the food....so good. Prime rib, prawns, and a delicious arugula, beet, pomegranate salad. My brother's wow'd by the set up...with the couches and fireplaces and TV's. I don't go there for that ... I'd stay at home if I wanted to watch TV from a couch. That don't impress me much...I'm there to sit rinkside. I love that you have tables up there for your phone, drink....cowbell.

Woooooohoooooo. A win from our boys on a Saturday night. Feels good.

Oh, and also...... did you see JT's goal? It was beautiful.

Also, he's secretly captain and coach....give him the damn whiteboard and let him draw up the plays. He can do it all.

You deserve to get spoilt once in a while Deb! 

ps I don't even know how to pronounce arugula, sound it out I guess.

5 hours ago, Vancan said:

What am I missing that the few Tocc haters are seeing??

The best start in franchise history, players having career seasons, as it sits we would almost sweep the NHL awards, players breaking 50 years of Canucks hockey records, highest scoring team in the league, +/- in the league, consistently flirting with a potential presidents trophy, etc, etc, etc. I've been a nucks fan long before the original Quinn days, and I do not recall a more successful team in most all categories. This is his fuckin 63 game as a coach!! 

My brain is frazzled trying to comprehend this complete and udder bullshit with our coach, just done. 

i know. We’re only on pace for 105 points, with a coach who has been involved in 3 Stanley cup wins as player and coach. A coach whose only previous head coach positions were with broken crappy teams. He inherited a mess in TB, when they were in their post championship slump (pre-Yzerman) who were playing in a strong division. Then with a brutal Yotes team. In both cases he took over from assistant when the head coaches were fired.
Now, as HC here: best start in franchise history, our star players at the top of all the rankings, arguably the hardest stretch (most travel and back to backs) out of the way now, but yeah…..bad coach, lol.

• ThereItIs 1

6 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The team has been top 5 in the league most of the season. Why would we need a 'hard look'?

Walk before you run.   Teams need to make it to the playoffs and lose in the playoffs before they learn how to win in the playoffs.  It’s easy for us fans to say just do this and we can beat the best teams, but in sports teams need to learn physically, technically, emotionally how to actually do that and it is more than just a concept a coach can teach them overnight.  They have to physically play the games.  We are still such young team compared to the experienced Vegas, Colorado, Tampa type teams.  I see us a very similar to Detroit, in the rise, but unlikely to go much past the 1st round and that is ok.  The last team lost how many times to Chicago before they learned how to win?

We kind of lost a year last year that should have been one of those leaning  years, but we ended up with Willander as a consolation prize which we really had no business getting.

Just cause all us old ass fans have had the past playoff experience and are ready for success doesn’t mean the current team is.  Temper expectations and enjoy the process.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, AmyTheGma said:

Walk before you run.   Teams need to make it to the playoffs and lose in the playoffs before they learn how to win in the playoffs.  It’s easy for us fans to say just do this and we can beat the best teams, but in sports teams need to learn physically, technically, emotionally how to actually do that and it is more than just a concept a coach can teach them overnight.  They have to physically play the games.  We are still such young team compared to the experienced Vegas, Colorado, Tampa type teams.  I see us a very similar to Detroit, in the rise, but unlikely to go much past the 1st round and that is ok.  The last team lost how many times to Chicago before they learned how to win?

We kind of lost a year last year that should have been one of those leaning  years, but we ended up with Willander as a consolation prize which we really had no business getting.

Just cause all us old ass fans have had the past playoff experience and are ready for success doesn’t mean the current team is.  Temper expectations and enjoy the process.

Sorry that got quoted to the wrong post.  Sorry it was meant for Canuckfanforver’s snivel.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Vancan said:

I secretly believe TB is the dark horse to win the East in the playoffs. A Lighting team that has not been to the finals 4 straight years, and is well rested is scary as fuck. Mark my words there purposely playing coy and playing 70ish percent till playoff time.

Sorry rambling on, main purpose was to say don't kill yourself trying to win non conference teams, do it with west teams below us. 

Dont think tampa has it anymore.   Yes there is skill but there defensive play is atrocious and vasy is constantly left out to dry..  the big 5 are still there but the depth around them has changed.  Not the same team..  the reason i loved the miller trade was because i watched him play in tampa on the 3rd and 4th line.   My sons favorite team so we watched every game

• Cheers 1

Looks like somebody may get kuz for “a ham sandwich”. Hate the thought of losing so much skill.  Holding out hope but….   I will be a fan of his wherever he ends up ( hope still here). Love the smile and joy he played with ( use to anyway). Really hope the tough love works