[PGT] Hurricanes at Canucks, Dec.9th

10 hours ago, -Buzzsaw- said:

Miller is having a great season.

He has found a coach who understands him, and knows how to motivate him.

Miller has developed later into his career as a complete NHL power forward.

Thing is, here he's been given a role that he's shining in. He was a bit redundant on other teams so maybe just didn't get the chance to show his stuff.

I don't give too much credit to coaching (other than helping him reel in his emotion and showing faith in him). Maybe in how he's being deployed and the attention to defensive detail.

But he's a true competitor and all the things people slammed him for earlier are also the things that drive him. Pure passion and emotion. You can't coach that into someone....it's either there or it's not. Drive and determination. Burr had it too. Just has to be channeled properly.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

The win last night was much needed just to get the swagger back by beating a good team. Carolina by no means is playing their best hockey but give some credit to the Canucks who played great 5 on 5. Holding the Canes to 4 shots at even strength at one point was amazing. 

What does worry me a little is lack of finish on the power play. The goals there have dried up a bit and its concerning that teams are pressuring the points knowing Hughes drives the PP. They have to get better at the down low plays on the power play. One single goal on the Power Play makes that a much easier game.

Demko looked much better in this game. He had been shaky for a few. 

Lafferty looks like a steal and fits with Petey. Not afraid to go to the net, works hard in the corners and seems to have some finish. I am not disappointed to see him replace Kuz on that line. he has performed well there.

Miller Boeser and Hogs look solid. they outwork most lines against them and have put up the numbers. 

as for Kuzmenko, he is a microcosm of the difference in coaches. Bruce was a offense first coach and allowed the players to press up ice with less defensive integrity. RT is holding the players accountable to his system, and wants them to be available on the forecheck and back check. Goldobin never learned to play D although Kuzy is much more talented. I hope he figures it out he is so happy when he is scoring.

Lastly Myers finally has a partner in Zadorov. They were solid last night. When Soucy gets back it will be interesting to see who plays with who. Size on the back end  is important. Not to punish the other team but to withstand the punishment a team will throw at you especially in the playoffs. Also once the whistles get put away in the playoffs having a big body to defend in front of the net will be huge. 

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

My comment wasn't about you, it was about what was really on offer for Miller 

A late first, prospect and roster player (for cap to work).   It wasn't a MT like deal, and look how that worked out for CAL.   Think we can all be happy about how it worked out.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Mikeyman109 said:

The win last night was much needed just to get the swagger back by beating a good team. Carolina by no means is playing their best hockey but give some credit to the Canucks who played great 5 on 5. Holding the Canes to 4 shots at even strength at one point was amazing. 

What does worry me a little is lack of finish on the power play. The goals there have dried up a bit and its concerning that teams are pressuring the points knowing Hughes drives the PP. They have to get better at the down low plays on the power play. One single goal on the Power Play makes that a much easier game.

Demko looked much better in this game. He had been shaky for a few. 

Lafferty looks like a steal and fits with Petey. Not afraid to go to the net, works hard in the corners and seems to have some finish. I am not disappointed to see him replace Kuz on that line. he has performed well there.

Miller Boeser and Hogs look solid. they outwork most lines against them and have put up the numbers. 

as for Kuzmenko, he is a microcosm of the difference in coaches. Bruce was a offense first coach and allowed the players to press up ice with less defensive integrity. RT is holding the players accountable to his system, and wants them to be available on the forecheck and back check. Goldobin never learned to play D although Kuzy is much more talented. I hope he figures it out he is so happy when he is scoring.

Lastly Myers finally has a partner in Zadorov. They were solid last night. When Soucy gets back it will be interesting to see who plays with who. Size on the back end  is important. Not to punish the other team but to withstand the punishment a team will throw at you especially in the playoffs. Also once the whistles get put away in the playoffs having a big body to defend in front of the net will be huge. 

I think that was the game we all needed to see and their most complete game in a long time.  Granted they were sloppy and undisciplined at times, they battled hard the entire game and that's whats been missing fof the last month.  Hopefully they can keep it going

• Cheers 3

33 minutes ago, IBatch said:

A late first, prospect and roster player (for cap to work).   It wasn't a MT like deal, and look how that worked out for CAL.   Think we can all be happy about how it worked out.   

The Canucks seem to be the only team actively doing trades and with how reluctant teams are to do them

Canucks did great for only owning 2 months of Bo

Yes, in that instance taking less than Hub. for MT, while freeing up cap space would have been better

even letting MT walk for free and saving the cap space is a better win than what they got (They have their own LE  contract player now)

Edited by Ballisticsports

13 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

So, adding Lafferty to the line with Pettersson is really working. He's playing the game with speed and disrupting other teams defense with aggressive forechecking, which if not a natural game style for Kuzmenko. 

Petey's line has been needing someone who can forecheck for awhile now. Not surprised that adding Laffy has helped them.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

28 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It was a more concerted effort by all. 

88vp2q.jpg

We just knew Petey wouldn't stay "down" (although his points were still there) for long.

He's not the type to be satisfied with watching everyone else do good things. Whatever was/is bugging him...he's working through it. And he found a way to be effective last night, despite still not moving as fluidly (for lack of a better word) as he did earlier in the year. He was sturdier on his skates for awhile but is falling a lot lately. Just don't know what that's about. My guess is groin stuff but who knows.

He also isn't being quite as physical as he was....perhaps he has been hampered by something and realizes he shouldn't crash and bang as much as he was. He can use stick work as well. Takes a toll to lay out big hits.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Devron said:

On that note Myers still makes me mad but he’s been good a lot of games this year, including this one. It’s just when he’s bad he’s really bad. That and the NJ game was a real let down. Outside that for me the season has been perfect 

I didn't really see any big missteps from him last night. He's best when we don't really notice him out there and that was the case.

• Cheers 3

Can someone please explain to me why we always get the short end of the stick for scheduling?

We now have Tampa who played last night in Seattle and don’t play again till Tuesday in Van. If it were us, we would have been on at least a 3 in 4 nights! To top it off, these guys get another day off before they play in Edmonton! 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Jaimito said:

See if Suter will be ready soon. 

Send him down my way for a conditioning stint  -  I'm going to Wednesday's game.  Abby's lost all 3 vs Firebirds so far, could use a boost.  I thought LK's return would spark them, but although he scored, still lost

Edited by Googlie

Last night the Canucks showed a more concerted effort by almost everyone. This time of the season (about the 35-40 % mark, that's a great sign.

I thought I saw Kuzmenko starting to buy in to Rick's suggestions and looked somewhat more focused, going where he needed to, when he needed to.

Miller was an absolute dynamo out there. Petey as well. 

We all saw the vulnerabilities of a Quinn Hughes that is unbelievably over played and worked. He'll go every time Tocc gives him tap, and that's plenty.

Overall good effort.  If we get to the point (and we're almost there), that everyone plays their role, we should be playoff bound, but its bad luck to say

that so I won't, Oops...

88vs4x.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Clearly this is a growth year.  They'll likely make the playoffs and gain experience this year.  I don't think anyone is serious about them winning the cup, but I do think some people think this team is trending back to last season and fighting for a playoff spot.  It's obvious this year's team is miles ahead of last year's squad in terms of structure.

Do you think a player's goal is just to make the playoffs? They all want to win the cup and win it now. Mediocrity in sports is the result of being too "realistic." There are other factors in play.