[PGT] Hurricanes at Canucks, Dec.9th

28 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Last night the Canucks showed a more concerted effort by almost everyone. This time of the season (about the 35-40 % mark, that's a great sign.

I thought I saw Kuzmenko starting to buy in to Rick's suggestions and looked somewhat more focused, going where he needed to, when he needed to.

Miller was an absolute dynamo out there. Petey as well. 

We all saw the vulnerabilities of a Quinn Hughes that is unbelievably over played and worked. He'll go every time Tocc gives him tap, and that's plenty.

Overall good effort.  If we get to the point (and we're almost there), that everyone plays their role, we should be playoff bound, but its bad luck to say

that so I won't, Oops...

88vs4x.jpg

Not RT

You mean when he get the Foote tap 😀

I was at Kooza last night so I missed the game live and rewatched it when I got back home. Couple thoughts( most of which have been said):

Petey stud again

Demko still another ok game

Miller- Leader and so much fun to watch how competitive he is

Hughes and Hronek good but not great

Powerplay- ripping the puck around but no finish

Laff/Kuzzy- Laff Playing well with petey and compliments him well- however in an ideal situation I think we have the Kuzzy, Mik, Petey line going.

Keep going boys!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DelPiLeo said:

So happy for Hog, he’’s deserved to stay in the top six, he is not only working hard but also getting on the scoresheet too. He is still learning now and will be getting better and better.

He just impresses the hell out of me.

Thing is, he's so sturdy on his skates but also agile. Alot of guys lose their edge and/or the puck when maneuvering tight corners and in crowded board battles, etc. He somehow manages to keep the puck and his balance...it's really noticeable to me. He's tenacious on the puck and really is a huge asset out there. Love his game.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Dom said:

Why do we always play Saturday night and then not till Tuesday. Fucking despise the scheduling. 

What is the problem with that?  They put us on Hockey Night in Canada a bunch nowadays.

A two day break isn’t the worst thing in the world, they happen sometimes and make up for the inevitable back to backs (which I think I heard we have less of this year than we have had in several years)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Clearly this is a growth year.  They'll likely make the playoffs and gain experience this year.  I don't think anyone is serious about them winning the cup, but I do think some people think this team is trending back to last season and fighting for a playoff spot.  It's obvious this year's team is miles ahead of last year's squad in terms of structure.

25 minutes ago, Inkidu said:

Do you think a player's goal is just to make the playoffs? They all want to win the cup and win it now. Mediocrity in sports is the result of being too "realistic." There are other factors in play. 

Where did I say it was the player's goal to just make the playoffs??  As fans, we have realistic expectations.  That's different than goals.  

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

What is the problem with that?  They put us on Hockey Night in Canada a bunch nowadays.

A two day break isn’t the worst thing in the world, they happen sometimes and make up for the inevitable back to backs (which I think I heard we have less of this year than we have had in several years)

Yup, our guys have played too many games. They need some days off. LA has 4 games in hand on us!

1 hour ago, Mikeyman109 said:

The win last night was much needed just to get the swagger back by beating a good team. Carolina by no means is playing their best hockey but give some credit to the Canucks who played great 5 on 5. Holding the Canes to 4 shots at even strength at one point was amazing. 

What does worry me a little is lack of finish on the power play. The goals there have dried up a bit and its concerning that teams are pressuring the points knowing Hughes drives the PP. They have to get better at the down low plays on the power play. One single goal on the Power Play makes that a much easier game.

Demko looked much better in this game. He had been shaky for a few. 

Lafferty looks like a steal and fits with Petey. Not afraid to go to the net, works hard in the corners and seems to have some finish. I am not disappointed to see him replace Kuz on that line. he has performed well there.

Miller Boeser and Hogs look solid. they outwork most lines against them and have put up the numbers. 

as for Kuzmenko, he is a microcosm of the difference in coaches. Bruce was a offense first coach and allowed the players to press up ice with less defensive integrity. RT is holding the players accountable to his system, and wants them to be available on the forecheck and back check. Goldobin never learned to play D although Kuzy is much more talented. I hope he figures it out he is so happy when he is scoring.

Lastly Myers finally has a partner in Zadorov. They were solid last night. When Soucy gets back it will be interesting to see who plays with who. Size on the back end  is important. Not to punish the other team but to withstand the punishment a team will throw at you especially in the playoffs. Also once the whistles get put away in the playoffs having a big body to defend in front of the net will be huge. 

Petey simply needs to shoot the puck more on the PP. Like every time he gets it. He's letting the opposition off easy. I find it hard to believe they haven't addressed it. I'd put someone else there until he gets the message.

BB's team had zero defensive integrity and it showed on the scoreboard every night. 

Good get right game. 

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Clearly this is a growth year.  They'll likely make the playoffs and gain experience this year.  I don't think anyone is serious about them winning the cup, but I do think some people think this team is trending back to last season and fighting for a playoff spot.  It's obvious this year's team is miles ahead of last year's squad in terms of structure.

Yes and no. This team has been a .500 team for more games than they've been the .800 team that started the year. 

I agree they should make the playoffs, but winning 2 games in a row for the first time in a month isn't enough to convince most people they are able to compete with other teams close to them in the standings.

2 hours ago, Blue said:

Umm no we can't. Because if the LA Kings or some other team had this roster with Hughs Petey Miller Demko ect , we'd never hear the end of it about how good they were. But when it's our team , they call them mid. 

If it's and butts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas. 

I take my cue from the players. 

Anyway, how is watching or playing sports realistic? It's really silly: you go to work and what do you do? You and some guys try to stop some other guys from doing their job. What is it for if not the joy of the spontaneous, a living experience of going beyond expectations? That's why players play and watchers watch. Sports is the only truly live event where unexpected things don't just happen, it's the main point. I'm all for being realistic to some degree but that is only one factor for players and fans alike. 

In my opinion. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Yes and no. This team has been a .500 team for more games than they've been the .800 team that started the year. 

I agree they should make the playoffs, but winning 2 games in a row for the first time in a month isn't enough to convince most people they are able to compete with other teams close to them in the standings.

How do we cherry pick which games constitute .500 hockey, and which constitute the rest?  The 1st 13 games of the season they were lights out a top tier team.  The standings showed that.  Since then, they've also:

Won 3 of their last 4

Won 4 of their last 6

Won 6 of their last 10

So maybe to fit the narrative of .500 hockey for this squad, we pick specifically 12 games so that we can say they've only won 6 of their last 12?  

At some point, we need to determine that they've played 28 games, and they've won 18 of them with only 9 regulation losses.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

At the game, I missed Miller and RT huddling over the whiteboard together. Love that Miller's leadership is allowed to breathe here...some coaches might power trip and not welcome it like Rick does. I feel there's a mutual respect between the two that's really beneficial to the team. I think Rick understands Miller's ability to help orchestrate plays and he's always directing traffic out there. Rick tapping in to that is huge and speaks volumes (to me) about what kind of coach he is. Connecting with his players and learning what they see/experience out there just gives him extra info to work with. Love him.

Also...the pp still showed me at least 2 instances of a guy having a great opportunity to fire off a shot but instead....tries to pass and it fails. Take the shot. Get rebounds from the guy you're trying to pass to instead. Petey did it once and one other time I went "shoooooot" but don't remember who had the puck on their stick. Quicker shots vs passing around or setting up for the perfect tip in. Rip a shot off.

That part where Miller and Toc were, shall we say, working things / drawing plays up was one of the best examples of two great hockey minds giterdun.

Hey; They did find another gear after that. Team work.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

That part where Miller and Toc were, shall we say, working things / drawing plays up was one of the best examples of two great hockey minds giterdun.

Hey; They did find another gear after that. Team work.

I was surprised to see that JT was right-handed.   Having never played hockey, is that common? (Being right handed, but shooting left).  I just thought that Canada produced an abnormally high percentage of left handed people

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Yup, our guys have played too many games. They need some days off. LA has 4 games in hand on us!

As it happens, the Canucks get their scheduled time off around Christmas. Between their game on December 23rd and January 2nd they play once, on December 28th. So they have four days off for Christmas, then four more days after December 28th. The games in hand should be made up by then, but it will be hard sitting by and watching other teams catch up and maybe pass Vancouver in that time.

• Cheers 1