[PGT] Hurricanes at Canucks, Dec.9th

Lot's of good and bad.

The Good,

There were many times the team dominated for awhile.

Myers and Zadorov continue to dominate other teams still allowing one single goals against and limiting the other teams to 5 to 7 total shots against since playing together.

Kuzmenko played a flawless game with no mistakes, hard on the forecheck winning board battles, fast on the back check and driving his line.

Pettersson finally had the shoot first instead of the hit first mentality and used is higher than average skill for scoring.

Miller had a strong game.

Demko played better than his last game

The Bad,

First off it is a game of mistakes but there are some that are just an oops and some that are brain dead ugly. Unfortunately it is much easier to see a mistake than a good secondary pass or work.

Okay, now if Hughes was Kuzmenko he would have had his arse "stapled" to the bench for any of Hughes 4 really big goofs this game.

Twice ha wasn't paying attention and cause TWO too many men penalties and TWICE he was way out of position, once there was 3 things he did wrong, it started with a low percentage pinch with his team holding a lead, losing that board battle, then not using his "vaunted" skating on the ensuing back check resulting in a goal that was his error all by itself. The two penalties. And then the second goal, he left his check and stopped playing to watch the puck while his check snuck up and scored while he was standing still, he totally left his check wide open in a danger area.

Cole and Juulsen are definitely 5/6 guys or lower. Hronek is starting to play with too much risk and losing board battles.

They broke their current cycle of win one, lose one.

They win BUT their opposition s another team in turmoil, Carolina is a train wreck.

It's 2 points

Edited by TheGuardian
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Demko was only average and we won. That’s a huge step forward for us. Canes are experiencing a long road trip out west. They’re a good club and played good. We won because we are a very good club. 

Apparently not playing very good with 4 losses in a row and;

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/postgame-quotes-rod-brind-amour-6342572067112

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/video/postgame-quotes-rod-brind-amour-6342721589112

One thing as bad as they are he isn't singling out a player to throw under the bus the way Tocchet is. I don't like that aspect to his coaching style. One player does not lose a game except maybe a goal tender.

They certainly don't think they are playing very good.

Edited by TheGuardian
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Googlie said:

I was surprised to see that JT was right-handed.   Having never played hockey, is that common? (Being right handed, but shooting left).  I just thought that Canada produced an abnormally high percentage of left handed people

Being right handed and shooting left is very common. Often distinctively shooting left to right. / One would think there would not be as much power

with your off hand but most players are like that from bantam, even younger. I was automatically like that when I started; Didn't change when I was asked to at 

eight years old. Went that way for 38 more years. Take backhanded shots that way too, though you don't see as many players using the backhand as the old days.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Rekker said:

Exactly. I can admit when I am wrong and I wanted Bo over JT. I was dead wrong. I am fully behind JT and the intangibles he brings. Just so impressed with him. 

So glad many see there is more to a great player then just "points" or preceived "leadership". Miller has size and a high desire to win, this was obvious and things he was better at then Bo. Happy to see others can see that now too. 

Hughes and Miller have a team first mentality and winning is important to them and that is going to take this team a long way.  We are lucky to have them on this team, enjoy the ride folks.

• Vintage 2

37 minutes ago, HKSR said:

How do we cherry pick which games constitute .500 hockey, and which constitute the rest?  The 1st 13 games of the season they were lights out a top tier team.  The standings showed that.  Since then, they've also:

Won 3 of their last 4

Won 4 of their last 6

Won 6 of their last 10

So maybe to fit the narrative of .500 hockey for this squad, we pick specifically 12 games so that we can say they've only won 6 of their last 12?  

At some point, we need to determine that they've played 28 games, and they've won 18 of them with only 9 regulation losses.  

This proves yours and my point. Just because they won last night by a 1 goal margin and all of a sudden they're some top team? If they had lost last night all your stats would show they are a .500 team. 

People who are pointing at the negative posters after this 1 win are silly.

People can believe what they want to believe. But I see a .500 team that's still riding the high of a great start. They have slowly been falling back the last month. I woukd love that trend to change. I love wins, but we need to start stringing together more of them. And that starts with better play. 

13 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

By your logic, every head coach who hasn’t won a Stanley Cup is crap. Ok then now I see. 

So how does a coach go about winning that first cup then, without having to endure your sharp criticisms.? 

You really do jump to that conclusion from no bases of what I am saying so here I will explain it

I think Vigneault is a great coach and he never won a Cup as a Coach

what we have seen is that coaches take time to become great coaches. Allan is a prime example of it and Tocchet seems to be following the some projection. Allan won the Jack Addams his first year with the Canucks only to miss the Playoff the next year. It would than be 3 more years to get to the Cup final. Prior to that He coached MTL and had a terrible record and at 1 point was not even coaching in the NHL sounds like Tocchet as well. Problem is this Core is already in it's prime and the window is NOW.

The Canucks can't afford to let a inexperienced coach go through the learning curve The Canucks can't afford 5 years.

Edited by CanuckFanForever
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

What is the problem with that?  They put us on Hockey Night in Canada a bunch nowadays.

A two day break isn’t the worst thing in the world, they happen sometimes and make up for the inevitable back to backs (which I think I heard we have less of this year than we have had in several years)

I just have to laugh at people when they get mad at the schedule. Do they think they're royalty or something and everything in life revolves around them? I mean there are 82 games in the schedule. They can't play everyday. If they play Monday are they then mad they don't play Tuesday, and then mad again Thursday, Friday, and Sunday?  I honestly don't get it. 😂

• ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

This proves yours and my point. Just because they won last night by a 1 goal margin and all of a sudden they're some top team? If they had lost last night all your stats would show they are a .500 team. 

People can believe what they want to believe. But I see a .500 team that's still riding the high of a great start. They have slowly been falling back the last month. I woukd love that trend to change. I love wins, but we need to start stringing together more of them. And that starts with better play. 

Canes are a Cup favourite. We just dominated them and won even though Demko was only average. We are getting 105 points. We have the best core in the league. 
Now and kneel to the empties. 🥃

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Are you the real @CanuckFanForever?...

The positivity from you is catchy... keep it up...

I'm always me.

I give Credit when credit is due and I give criticism when it is due. Tocchet is on a short leash because our window is now. Our core is in their prime. When I see a good game I will give Tocchet is due He had them prepered for this game and now he has to have them prepared for the next 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

So glad many see there is more to a great player then just "points" or preceived "leadership". Miller has size and a high desire to win, this was obvious and things he was better at then Bo. Happy to see others can see that now too. 

Hughes and Miller have a team first mentality and winning is important to them and that is going to take this team a long way.  We are lucky to have them on this team, enjoy the ride folks.

Cheers to that. Could you imagine if JT played in Toronto? It's gross how little attention he gets and he would change that whole shinny hockey culture there. Man I hope he can win here. Just an ffnn gamer.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I'm always me.

I give Credit when credit is due and I give criticism when it is due. Tocchet is on a short leash because our window is now. Our core is in their prime. When I see a good game I will give Tocchet is due He had them prepered for this game and now he has to have them prepared for the next 

Well, nothing wrong with criticism... we all do at times...

Cheers

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, TheGuardian said:

Lot's of good and bad.

The Good,

There were many times the team dominated for awhile.

Myers and Zadorov continue to dominate other teams still allowing one single goals against and limiting the other teams to 5 to 7 total shots against since playing together.

Kuzmenko played a flawless game with no mistakes, hard on the forecheck winning board battles, fast on the back check and driving his line.

Pettersson finally had the shoot first instead of the hit first mentality and used is higher than average skill for scoring.

Miller had a strong game.

Demko played better than his last game

The Bad,

First off it is a game of mistakes but there are some that are just an oops and some that are brain dead ugly. Unfortunately it is much easier to see a mistake than a good secondary pass or work.

Okay, now if Hughes was Kuzmenko he would have had his arse "stapled" to the bench for any of Hughes 4 really big goofs this game.

Twice ha wasn't paying attention and cause TWO too many men penalties and TWICE he was way out of position, once there was 3 things he did wrong, it started with a low percentage pinch with his team holding a lead, losing that board battle, then not using his "vaunted" skating on the ensuing back check resulting in a goal that was his error all by itself. The two penalties. And then the second goal, he left his check and stopped playing to watch the puck while his check snuck up and scored while he was standing still, he totally left his check wide open in a danger area.

Cole and Juulsen are definitely 5/6 guys or lower. Hronek is starting to play with too much risk and losing board battles.

They broke their current cycle of win one, lose one.

They win BUT their opposition s another team in turmoil, Carolina is a train wreck.

It's 2 points

Great points.

A few things that I saw that maybe weren't visible if you weren't there....

Zadorov has to be careful. Love his physicality but he was involved away from the play a few times and it not only put him out of the play, but also could be penalized in some instances. He has to "let it go" at times and stay up with the play.

Kuz did make a bit of a mental error (an errant pass that was intercepted). Happens, but could've changed the outcome/momentum of things.

Petey still tries to pass at times where he has a great shooting opportunity. I'm not sure what's up there (if it's overthinking/overplaying or a wrist thing).

Miller: check, yep. He is so "determined"...especially when a game is winding down and on the line. Puts it all out there. Sacrifices his body and just gives an all out effort. Empties the tank.

Demko was better. He's been a bit shaky and has made me nervous but he looked "in control" last night.

I totally agree about Hronek. I like him better when he's just steady and not trying to do too much.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I'm always me.

Were you there last night? Curious.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Canes are a Cup favourite. We just dominated them and won even though Demko was only average. We are getting 105 points. We have the best core in the league. 
Now and kneel to the empties. 🥃

Who projected that 

Vegas, TBL, BOS, and NYR where the projected cup favorite's this year. Yes in the past years the Canes have had a good defensive structure but I don't think they are Cup favorite's that a reach

4 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

I'm always me.

Yes our core is just entering their prime and are elite. We have 7 years for sure of great play. Could be more too, considering how young Petey and Hughes are. 

3 hours ago, The Duke said:

This is all true - however, Bo is also 2 years younger which counts for something.  

Allvin has done a good job shaping up the team in a hurry but those 2 years could have meant a longer window.

But with that said, Miller is certainly looking like the stronger player right now and showing no signs of slowing down.  Hopefully he stays healthy and productive as he goes.  At least we know he can flip to wing and still produce.

Yeah 2 years or no 2 years, Bo is no where equal to Miller and many aspects. Age makes no difference to me with these two.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

There are some holes to be filled for sure. Depth a big one. But I strongly disagree it's a .500 club. Simply not true.  A club with stellar goaltending, two of the top centers in the game, a Norris candidate, Hronek, Brock being Brock, a Jack Adams favorite early on, depth building well in the bottom six, headline story in Hogs, just aquired a monster third pair D. Man, how is that in any way a .500 club?

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

You really do jump to that conclusion from no bases of what I am saying so here I will explain it

I think Vigneault is a great coach and he never won a Cup as a Coach

what we have seen in is that coaches take time to become great coaches. Allan is a prime example of it and Tocchet seems to be following the some projection. Allan won the Jack Addams his first year with the Canucks only to miss the Playoff the next year. It would than be 3 more years to get to the Cup final. Prior to that He coached MTL and had a terrible record and at 1 point was not even coaching in the NHL sounds like Tocchet as well. Problem is this Core is already in it's prime and the window is NOW.

The Canucks can't afford to let a inexperienced coach go through the learning curve The Canucks can't afford 5 years.

This is true, however credit should maybe be directed at JR/PA, who knows what kind of coach it takes to mould a team into a contender/ maybe even a cup winner...

If they this Tocchet has, what it takes, maybe so should we until he badly drops the ball... JR has done it before...several times.