[PGT] Hurricanes at Canucks, Dec.9th

21 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Great points.

A few things that I saw that maybe weren't visible if you weren't there....

Zadorov has to be careful. Love his physicality but he was involved away from the play a few times and it not only put him out of the play, but also could be penalized in some instances. He has to "let it go" at times and stay up with the play.

Kuz did make a bit of a mental error (an errant pass that was intercepted). Happens, but could've changed the outcome/momentum of things.

Petey still tries to pass at times where he has a great shooting opportunity. I'm not sure what's up there (if it's overthinking/overplaying or a wrist thing).

Miller: check, yep. He is so "determined"...especially when a game is winding down and on the line. Puts it all out there. Sacrifices his body and just gives an all out effort. Empties the tank.

Demko was better. He's been a bit shaky and has made me nervous but he looked "in control" last night.

I totally agree about Hronek. I like him better when he's just steady and not trying to do too much.

Don't forget the really big one's by Hughes, he is part of the team too and two of his errors resulted directly in goals against.

Myers and Zadorov seem to be linked and thinking the same way, if either is out of position the other is in a position and capable of delaying long enough to the other to get back, they aren't slacking off either getting back.

Zadorov had a chance to maybe get the puck for a scoring chance but with the team up 2 goals he played it smart. Defenceman plays defence first.

I wonder if the team put Hronek on the block is they think they can get Tanev back? OR sign Bear? He is adding to his offensive asset value.

11 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Dimly drowning their sorrows of a win that deepens their desire to be right rather than dabble in delight like the rest of us.

Dat's deep Deb, lol.

Miller's goal was a barreling locomotive comin' right at ya blasting away!

Miller and Pettersson are such a great one-two punch.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Dimly drowning their sorrows of a win that deepens their desire to be right rather than dabble in delight like the rest of us.

13 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

The great one won many Cups as a player how his coaching career go. Even he said afterwards he found it hard to coach what he knew.

Their are tons of assistant coaches that have won stanley cups and yet they are offer looked for head coaching jobs by guys who win as AHL head coaches I wonder why.

I never said Tocchet can't be a head coach or a great one at that. I have called him Inexperienced the team he coached was the Yotes what experience are you going too get from that. Just like when Allan Coached MTL those where bad years for them. Allen took 3-4 years to finally get it right with the Canucks 

Gretzky coached a horrible team. That’s not entirely on him. As for your last paragraph , going by that logic then given tochetts recent success then his trajectory should be pretty decent in the next 3 years. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

I'm not sure what qualifies you to assess NHL coaches? Please enlighten me. Is this referring to RT?

3-time Stanley Cup champion with the Pittsburgh Penguins: 1992 (as player), 2016 (as assistant coach); and 2017 (as assistant coach).
Selected to four NHL All-Star Games: 1989, 1990, 1991 and 1993
Inducted into Flyers Hall of Fame: 2021

I'm not sure how he's "inexperienced"?  Spent 22 years playing in the NHL. Played for his country 3 times. Assistant coach, then coach. Sure, maybe as a head coach he hasn't been there yet but that also depends on the team he's coaching. How they respond, etc.

Overall, I've been very impressed with Tocchet.  He's a far better coach than I expected.  The only criticism that I could make would be letting the team play less disciplined over the last 10 games or so.  I have no way of knowing whether this is part of the normal ebbs and flows that any team has through a season or any fault of his.  He was head coach in Tampa for 2 seasons and Arizona for 4 seasons so I would think he knows when to let the leadership group hold each other accountable vs stepping in himself.  Long term, the former is the way to go

3 hours ago, Mando27 said:

Petey's line has been needing someone who can forecheck for awhile now. Not surprised that adding Laffy has helped them.

This has been a key ingredient that has been missing in our top line for awhile now. This need is key in all lines but past regimes were not successful in accomplishing this. Many fails such as Ferlund, Virtanen,Motte and Roussel but we never concentrated on this part of the game and so we lacked it for the most part. I remember consistently being bottled up in our own zone and no way to get out of it. Very frustrating times. 

We now have guys on all lines and most of them are interchangeable, a very nice thing to have and most of us are comfortable with all of them for the most part.

Many of these players, PDG, Laff,Blue,Joshua,Suter,Mik and Aman have complemented our star players quite nicely.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Gretzky coached a horrible team. That’s not entirely on him. As for your last paragraph , going by that logic then given tochetts recent success then his trajectory should be pretty decent in the next 3 years. 

Allan won the Jack Adams his first year with the Canucks and then missed the playoffs the next year, experience and success is not on a straight line up

Edited by CanuckFanForever
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

We won back to back games. Some people were on the edges of their sears waiting for us not to get on a roll and break the win one - lose one pattern.

The important thing is that we got back to winning even it's a two game streak.

Put it this way, if our "slump" means .500 hockey, then we're a top tier team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Any hockey analyst with any integrity called out the Leafs and Oilers for their top heavy, low depth, bad D, suspect goaltending teams. Decent teams, maybe. Cup favourites was laughable and I would tell anyone that listened that all summer. 

Don’t bother asking me for an explanation but people who make a living from it do and still do as of this morning. Even the Canes are given better odds than us. They have the Nucks at +1800

IMG_0452.jpeg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Allan won the Jack Adams his first year with the Canucks and then missed the playoffs the next year, experience and success is not on a straight line up

For someone who purports to be some kind of coach ‘judge’ vigneaults first name is Alain. And your comparison between Gretzky coaching a very bad team with him having very little experience to tochett who has a better team in front of him in comparison makes no sense. 

• Cheers 2

Just now, Alflives said:

Exactly! We went through our hardest travel month at .500 which shows we are a top tier club. Our core is the best in the league. 

It sure is fun when everyone is full effort.

It would be nice to add one more top 4 d and one more big body in the top 9 so the boys don't have to be 100% against the best teams.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, -dlc- said:

On a serious note, our schedule always sucks and sets the team up to fail imo. It's feast/famine and we're thrust into a schedule that others are eased into out of the gates. But "it is what it is" and likely won't change so I've accepted it.

I agree.My personal thoughts on the schedule is, Betman and his boys  want to have certain teams have more success than others. Mostly southern based teams. 

34 minutes ago, Chon derry said:

Gretzky kind of shot his coaching career in the foot by starting "at the top" in the NHL and also being bound to a team that wasn't going anywhere.  If he had done the Patrick Roy and coached junior for a few years and then signed on with a good NHL team...who knows.

• Cheers 2