[PGT] Hurricanes at Canucks, Dec.9th

4 hours ago, CanuckFanForever said:

Who projected that 

Vegas, TBL, BOS, and NYR were the projected cup favorite's this year. Yes in the past years the Canes have had a good defensive structure but I don't think they are Cup favorite's that a reach

Contenders are favourites.   You also missed Dallas.   A lot of "experts" picked Dallas and CAR final before this season.   They are the better team last year in the playoffs, Bobrovsky stood on his head and MT did his thing ... without Svecknikov.    Dallas also matched or edged Vegas, just didn't get it done (that was the best series last year ... and well they have a great blend of youth and vets).    Not sure why you think our window is now other the cap.   Naslund and the Sedins were just getting started at Brocks age....Agree our cap window is pretty legit right now and next year. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, coolboarder said:

Well, better be happy that they get two days off, rest and recovery is the key.  They were playing every two days or back to back games for 3 weeks before this past week and they are fresher now, playing better.  They were on one win and one loss streak with that type of schedule.   They'll finally get some rest one game post Christmas and I think that it is a timely, to allow the guys be even more fresher for New Year's grind on the road despite playing fewer home game at that point before 7 games road trip.  It will allow Petey, and whoever else nagging with some minor injury but playing through it at end of next week.    Despite 7 games road trip, it's a lot easier in term of travel, including 5 nights in same city (3 games in 4 night).  They'll get home early after Columbus game rather than taking a red night flight home.    Just noticed an early game time start on a Monday, 10am PST in January.  I think we caught a break in term of scheduling despite the league trying to screw us with bad early season schedule.

LA hasn't even entered in the grind meat yet.   That will not happen until post Christmas break.

I suppose you're correct. 

We have a very favorable March. 9 in a row at home. From March 9-31. 

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

Generally, that was where I was going with that. We lost a physical battle with Boston which resulted in injuries to players like Hamhuis and Raymond. Yes, there was also some REALLY questionable penalties including one suspension that, to this day, I think most would agree should never of happened. Didn't help that Colin Campbell was in charge of officiating and discipline at that time and his son was playing for Boston....

Vancouver still had more powerplays in the entire series. Game 7 we had more, we had 8PPs in game 3, we could have taken a strangle hold on that series up 3-0. Instead we allowed 2 shorties and let them go 2/4 on their PP and it was an absolute shit kicking.

Tim Thomas stole that cup. He had basically +9GSAA in that series and Luongo went the other direction like -6GSAA or something terrible. Thomas had like +21GSAA on that cup run. It was all Tim Thomas. We had more hits, more shots, PPs scoring, almost every single statistical category other than saves and goals.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

3 hours ago, -dlc- said:

When we lose and offer "reasons" (like scheduling, injury, horrible officiating), we're told "good teams find a way to win".

When we "find a way to win" we're not a good team according to those same people. Then they give reasons because [insert here...."the other team just played and is tired", "they have injured players", etc.]

Funny how double standards work.

Kevin would never say that about his old team...(sorry, couldn't resist).

19 minutes ago, Dom said:

I suppose you're correct. 

We have a very favorable March. 9 in a row at home. From March 9-31. 

Not to mention, they will be playing exclusively on the Pacific time zone from February 22 to April 16 even if they play in Edmonton, they'd be 7pm game time start and all road trip remaining in that time period except for Winnipeg game at game 82.  Some odd afternoon games here and there.

3 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thomas also got away with a lot of sh. He was whacking, hacking and slashing our guys if they got near the crease.

There was a double standard for sure. We had more pp's but timing also matters.

It was a gong show and the guys wilted....but Boston's antics weren't always addressed as they should have been. And Rome getting his suspension really set a tone. I mean, the way they ignored Raymond's broke back was a bit ridiculous in comparison.

The thing is that the NHL shouldn't allow Colin Campbell to be in charge in that series in the first place due to conflict of interest because his son was playing in the final.  It is a tainted win and history will not treat them well in 30-50 years later when they review all series that happened.    In that generation, they will agree that it was a tainted Cup win for Bruins.    In that generation, they will be more likely to be neutral because they weren't there at that time.  Canucks fans need to produce a documentary for all to see the double standard occurred that time and compare on how the NHL treated the Canucks in a brief period of time, including Auger-Burrows incident.

4 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

Thomas also got away with a lot of sh. He was whacking, hacking and slashing our guys if they got near the crease.

It was a gong show and the guys wilted....but Boston's antics weren't always addressed as they should have been. And Rome getting his suspension really set a tone. I mean, the way they ignored Raymond's broke back was a bit ridiculous in comparison.

Hate dwelling on this kinda stuff but sometimes it’s necessary.Your right Deb it was a gong show.Dont get me started on Bergeron cramming his finger down Burrows throat.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Barnstorm said:

I agree that there’s no way to keep all the people happy all the time. Interesting to see the breakdown of game days. Thanks for putting that forward. In fairness to the op they weren’t wrong about Mon & Sun being slow. 

Yeah, no problem. I was actually interested too. I get it though, it would suck if you had a job you were passionate about or simply needed just to get by and had only Sunday, Monday, or gawd forbid Friday off lol. If you work nights you just have to be lucky to catch a game whenever you can I guess.

I guess you need to balance your priorities. Ha, reminds me when I was young I once worked for a Chevrolet dealership detailing all the used cars that came in. I got surprise tickets to go see the hip one night so I told my boss I needed the night off but I would make sure everything was finished and make up the time. He looked at me all important like and loudly and nastily announced in front of the staff, son you need to get your priorities right, it's this concert or your job. You should have seen his face when I dropped the broom and tossed him my work gloves. Priceless. Haha. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Here is a question. Is Carolina actually any good? The goalies are suspect. The also got their butts kicked on this road trip through Alberta and now through vancouver. They did not look all that impressive yesterday. Is this simply them in a slump or are they just not a good team?

On paper the roster is average and is in the bottom 10 cap wise. But they were over achievers centered around coaching. At least that is how i understood it 

31 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

It was a gong show and the guys wilted....but Boston's antics weren't always addressed as they should have been. And Rome getting his suspension really set a tone. I mean, the way they ignored Raymond's broken back was a bit ridiculous in comparison.

Game 3. 8 power plays. Idgaf what the timing is, that should have been a hand wrapped win from the reffs. Instead we allowed 2 shorties and ultimately Luongo never stole a single game for us. 
game 7 we got shut out at home. Outshot them 37-21? Or something like that and got blanked 4 zip.

Blaming Collin Campbell and the reffs is a desperate excuse for losing. Straight up we were banged the fuck up, we had countless major injuries to big players and goaltending was the ultimate showdown. Time to move on and just accept the fact Tim Thomas was better than whatever 6 guys on the ice. Outscored 23-8. That aint officiating in any way.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, Alflives said:

Canes are a Cup favourite. We just dominated them and won even though Demko was only average. We are getting 105 points. We have the best core in the league. 
Now and kneel to the empties. 🥃

I love how your bottles are 1/2 full and not 1/2 empty (until they're empty, ofc)

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Is fishing season open or something? Lots of this going on here it seems:

44E8ECEF-CAA6-4195-B064-AB551942F63F.png.0a420b7cdba7f5384c8e268903fc061c.png

Screw the bruins and their cheating owner who is clearly in bed with Betman. And to heck with all the other teams. We have the best core we’ve ever had! We are going to win not only 1 Cup with this core but several. No team has what we do. 

Love you, Alf...don't ever change.

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, AnthonyG said:

Game 3. 8 power plays. Idgaf what the timing is, that should have been a hand wrapped win from the reffs. Instead we allowed 2 shorties and ultimately Luongo never stole a single game for us. 
game 7 we got shut out at home. Outshot them 37-21? Or something like that and got blanked 4 zip.

Blaming Collin Campbell and the reffs is a desperate excuse for losing. Straight up we were banged the fuck up, we had countless major injuries to big players and goaltending was the ultimate showdown. Time to move on and just accept the fact Tim Thomas was better than whatever 6 guys on the ice. Outscored 23-8. That aint officiating in any way.

That's your take. I don't completely agree.

3 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

IMO, we ride this team as much as possible this year without ransoming our future by giving away too much for improvements and wait till next summer when the teams get that 4 million projected increase. Make the right strategic upgrades and changes for the 24/25 season and I think we have a realistic chance of challenging for a Cup again.

Yeah I’m just enjoying being competitive and winning games this year. It’s been awhile you know. I like the strategy of not moving too much and continuing to be patient while gradually improving the team. 
Good takes. As for Kuzy I just hopes he keeps working on his game. I think with some all around improvements he can still be a key piece for this club

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

4 hours ago, Devron said:

So true Deb, it really is the same people though. I think they probably have the same perspective in life in general. 

I have been through Depression and Anxiety and that’s where those things want to take me too, always the negative. But I fight through it day in and out. Being positive in everyday life is important and important in the things we love too like hockey. 

I just can’t see much negative about this team. Sure it’s not the best in the league but it’s pretty damn good. We’ll be seeing playoffs for the first time in a long time and that damn exciting 

Well said my friend 

I understand that whole battling through that perspective thing you are talking about 

keep on keepin’ on…

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Yeah I’m just enjoying being competitive and winning games this year. It’s been awhile you know. I like the strategy of not moving too much and continuing to be patient while gradually improving the team. 
Good takes. As for Kuzy I just hopes he keeps working on his game. I think with some all around improvements he can still be a key piece for this club

Yeah I hope he doesn’t quit and figures out a way how to turn this thing around… It’s always good to see someone persevere through trials and tribulations and find their way through and improve themselves in one way or another…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

Well, better be happy that they get two days off, rest and recovery is the key.  They were playing every two days or back to back games for 3 weeks before this past week and they are fresher now, playing better.  They were on one win and one loss streak with that type of schedule.   They'll finally get some rest one game post Christmas and I think that it is a timely, to allow the guys be even more fresher for New Year's grind on the road despite playing fewer home game at that point before 7 games road trip.  It will allow Petey, and whoever else nagging with some minor injury but playing through it at end of next week.    Despite 7 games road trip, it's a lot easier in term of travel, including 5 nights in same city (3 games in 4 night).  They'll get home early after Columbus game rather than taking a red night flight home.    Just noticed an early game time start on a Monday, 10am PST in January.  I think we caught a break in term of scheduling despite the league trying to screw us with bad early season schedule.

LA hasn't even entered in the grind meat yet.   That will not happen until post Christmas break.

Every team has tough parts of the schedule. They aren't meant to be easy. It's a grind. 24 teams are within 2 games of us. I don't really think 2 or 3 games over 61 days is that big of a deal. We'll get our days off just like every other team. Everyone plays the same number of games in the same timeframe.

2 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Every team has tough parts of the schedule. They aren't meant to be easy. It's a grind. 24 teams are within 2 games of us. I don't really think 2 or 3 games over 61 days is that big of a deal. We'll get our days off just like every other team. Everyone plays the same number of games in the same timeframe.

No one generally has a schedule like ours. Believe me, I've examined and compared them.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Yeah I hope he doesn’t quit and figures out a way how to turn this thing around… It’s always good to see someone persevere through trials and tribulations and find their way through and improve themselves in one way or another…

Same. I remember Boeser going through some tough times when Green was here. Playing 3rd 4th line. Now Brock is counted on to close games. Now Kuzy doesn’t need to be a two way forward but he does need to have a certain degree of that to his game.

Im rooting for him like I rooted for Brock 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Same. I remember Boeser going through some tough times when Green was here. Playing 3rd 4th line. Now Brock is counted on to close games. Now Kuzy doesn’t need to be a two way forward but he does need to have a certain degree of that to his game.

As long I they're wearing the Canucks jersey, that's the philosophy I follow.   Now the person who wore the #11 *REALLY* tested my loyalty.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

7 minutes ago, Devron said:

Proud Of You Yes GIF

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2