[PGT] Hurricanes at Canucks, Dec.9th

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

Canes are a Cup favourite. We just dominated them and won even though Demko was only average. We are getting 105 points. We have the best core in the league. 
Now and kneel to the empties. 🥃

Canes are not a cup favorite. Sure in August the Hockey News might have said that... but they also said Oilers were a cup favorite. 

You shouldn't believe everything you hear

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Canes are not a cup favorite. Sure in August the Hockey News might have said that... but they also said Oilers were a cup favorite. 

You shouldn't believe everything you hear

That’s exactly the point. Canes, Soilers were Cup favourites. And we demolished both. Now we are Cup favourites because our core is better than any other team’s core. Only untrue fans are blind to this factaroo. 

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, Rekker said:

There are some holes to be filled for sure. Depth a big one. But I strongly disagree it's a .500 club. Simply not true.  A club with stellar goaltending, two of the top centers in the game, a Norris candidate, Hronek, Brock being Brock, a Jack Adams favorite early on, depth building well in the bottom six, headline story in Hogs, just aquired a monster third pair D. Man, how is that in any way a .500 

That's sort of my point though! I believe we are barely above a .500 club. Maybe .550. But you're right we have all those awesome players having career years. I think we should be playing better. 

It does seem like every game could go either way. We sure don't dominate.

We have a stacked team but on the ice there's something off.

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That’s exactly the point. Canes, Soilers were Cup favourites. And we demolished both. Now we are Cup favourites because our core is better than any other team’s core. Only untrue fans are blind to this factaroo. 

Demolished? Sure we rag dolled the Oilers game 1 of the season, but besides that and the 1st SJ game we haven't demolished anyone. Not even close

Just now, JayDangles said:

That's sort of my point though! I believe we are barely above a .500 club. Maybe .550. But you're right we have all those awesome players having career years. I think we should be playing better. 

Career years? That’s beyond drunk and needs an extra Depends to soak up the stink.
Just accept we are great and bow to the empties. 

5 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

It's still a work in progress but very few teams are perfect. It's a process for all involved, GM, coaches, players. 

22 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

No one generally has a schedule like ours. Believe me, I've examined and compared them.

Oh, okay. I've looked. It seems like most teams play a game every other day or so just like us.

I'll believe you though. The NHL is conspiring against us and only us. I guess we'll just have to admit defeat then if it's all rigged against us. It doesn't really seem that enjoyable though when you look at it that way.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

33 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

No one generally has a schedule like ours. Believe me, I've examined and compared them.

Arizona and surprisingly Edmonton have worse schedules than us this year but yes we’re always at the top of the league in that regard.

At least it heavily favours us after the trade deadline. The last 20 or so games should be pretty easy (in terms of travel) as we have that 9 game home stand in March

• Cheers 3

6 hours ago, Rekker said:

Well, in all fairness, the word analyst doesn't hold and of the worth it used to. Most pundits are so busy kissing Rogers and top advertisers that asses that they have forgotten to actually do their homework and make statements based on facts. Button is one of the few that didn't hop on the Oilers and Leafs fanwagon and called out there weaknesses for what they are.

Button picked the Oilers to win the cup.

59 minutes ago, -dlc- said:

That's your take. I don't completely agree.

We surrendered more short handed goals than we scored on the powerplay. 8 attempts and we allowed 2 shorties. 8 power plays should have been a gift wrap. Tim Thomas had things to say about it.

30 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Demolished? Sure we rag dolled the Oilers game 1 of the season, but besides that and the 1st SJ game we haven't demolished anyone. Not even close

Depends on your definition of demolished I guess but definitely a few more lopsided wins.

5-0 Blues

6-2 Oilers

5-1 Kraken

• ThereItIs 2

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Every team has tough parts of the schedule. They aren't meant to be easy. It's a grind. 24 teams are within 2 games of us. I don't really think 2 or 3 games over 61 days is that big of a deal. We'll get our days off just like every other team. Everyone plays the same number of games in the same timeframe.

Those similar games of 24 teams within two games but my argument is as following, more road games, weird travelling and the only team to have two east coast trips within a month (they went out again back to the East after two weeks of being home).  Also no opportunity to rest and recovery.  No other team went through that type of schedule and three 3 games in 4 night in less than 2 weeks in first two months and yet they are 2 games near us but their travel is not that crazy.  Also the only team in the NHL to have the longest homestand of the season but that comes in March when wear and tear is its taking toll.  We will still have the more road games than home at end of first week of March and just before we start our 9 game homestand.  Talk about imbalance schedule where others have had much better schedule with maybe one bad stretch or two.  And what's more, we don't even have enough games within our time zone until end of February when compared to other teams.  We won't see any Pacific time zone road games from US Thanksgiving weekend until late February on our road schedule.  That is 3 months of road games not involving any Pacific division teams until then.  You really can't compare teams schedule from the eastern conference, they do have back to back but they are in short distance and they get to come home and play games without taxing them too much. 

We only have had 6 road games within Pacific division team in first 2 months (1 game in October, 5 games in November during stretch of grueling three 3 games in 4 night involving that very same divisional opponents with no extra day off except for travel day from the Eastern Canadian road trip for home then b2b and they didn't have their legs in Calgary.  On that very same team in Calgary, we have had legs and we completed dominated them except for bend but didn't break type of collapse but you get the idea.  The fact that we lost to Sharks is due to the fact that we didn't have any leg either.

I would love for the day where in an event we blow them out, sub in the players in the press box and rest our first liner to press box for better quality and still maintain 18 skaters and two goaltenders.  Once you sub out to the press box, you cannot return to the game similar to baseball rules.

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Oh, okay. I've looked. It seems like most teams play a game every other day or so just like us.

I'll believe you though. The NHL is conspiring against us and only us. I guess we'll just have to admit defeat then if it's all rigged against us. It doesn't really seem that enjoyable though when you look at it that way.

It is not about similar type of games of every other day, it's about how they travel.  You would need less number of total hours on the plane to be effective. The more cross continental trip is more tougher than a short distance trip, from let's say, Washington DC to NYC.  I have travelled in that when travelling from NYC to Seattle, it's a day and night difference.  I can understand why the visiting teams from the east having so much energy than the Canucks in the very same venue playing at MSG. They both have equal strength of legs, movements, etc.  If you notice a Canucks-Flames games, or even Oilers game, home or away, doesn't matter, they have had equal energy is due to how close they were than visiting east coast teams.  I'm telling you, it's a lot easier for Eastern teams to go to West coast and still have a better energy than the Western teams going to the East.   That has been a fact since 1970's.    This is very reason why I would rather the Canucks to hold a training camp in the East coast and host a few preseason home games then start out on the road trip and still have a lot of energy due to how close cities are in the East if they keep on sending the Canucks on the road trip this early in the season every year.  The only difference is that we do not have the last change but we might be able to match their energy for a better chance of winning hockey games early.   

I have a theory, the reason why Eastern teams have it better energy on the west coast is because they are in daylight for longer when flying west.  You would get up at 5:30am EST and the sun would be up and your day will have its daylight when you arrive Vancouver and your sunset is at 9pm PST, midnight EST and you do not even feel tired until 2 hours after sunset.  You would get 8 hours of sleep and when you wake up, you are already alert and fresh the next day.  This is what I experienced when living in eastern US for college and came home for the summer.   When I go east, I would not feel alert and fresh for a several days and your daylight hours is cut short and lethargic and struggle to go bed and your biological clock is screwed up for a several days after landing in the East   This issues compounds even more when the team has to fly out at end of a game to other city in middle of night while being out in the East. 

I can see NHL expanding Kelowna and Vancouver Island 100 years from now where population growth is enough for a potential NHL expansion and Canucks travelling issue would be solved right there if the population growth is on the pace.  Right now, Kelowna is the fastest growing city in the nation via the Canadian census.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, coolboarder said:

Those similar games of 24 teams within two games but my argument is as following, more road games, weird travelling and the only team to have two east coast trips within a month (they went out again back to the East after two weeks of being home).  Also no opportunity to rest and recovery.  No other team went through that type of schedule and three 3 games in 4 night in less than 2 weeks in first two months and yet they are 2 games near us but their travel is not that crazy.  Also the only team in the NHL to have the longest homestand of the season but that comes in March when wear and tear is its taking toll.  We will still have the more road games than home at end of first week of March and just before we start our 9 game homestand.  Talk about imbalance schedule where others have had much better schedule with maybe one bad stretch or two.  And what's more, we don't even have enough games within our time zone until end of February when compared to other teams.  We won't see any Pacific time zone road games from US Thanksgiving weekend until late February on our road schedule.  That is 3 months of road games not involving any Pacific division teams until then.  You really can't compare teams schedule from the eastern conference, they do have back to back but they are in short distance and they get to come home and play games without taxing them too much. 

We only have had 6 road games within Pacific division team in first 2 months (1 game in October, 5 games in November during stretch of grueling three 3 games in 4 night involving that very same divisional opponents with no extra day off except for travel day from the Eastern Canadian road trip for home then b2b and they didn't have their legs in Calgary.  On that very same team in Calgary, we have had legs and we completed dominated them except for bend but didn't break type of collapse but you get the idea.  The fact that we lost to Sharks is due to the fact that we didn't have any leg either.

I would love for the day where in an event we blow them out, sub in the players in the press box and rest our first liner to press box for better quality and still maintain 18 skaters and two goaltenders.  Once you sub out to the press box, you cannot return to the game similar to baseball rules.

Hmmm, I guess. Although, we did go 3-2 on the first road trip for which we were totally fresh. That was a bonus. We went 2-1 on the second. It was a gravy trip. 2 days off after beating Edmonton on a Monday followed by Ottawa, Toronto, and Montreal, Thurs, Sat, Sunday with another two day rest after. That trip doesn't get much easier. Doesn't really seem overly tough or extreme to me at all. Actually it's probably pretty nice to have those games and a winning record in the books.

The homestand will be extremely beneficial to us in March as we're fighting it out for playoffs and positioning and other teams fans will be complaining about their schedule down the stretch when it matters the most. I think people need to consider that it is pretty great for our schedule and stop sweeping it under the rug to prove a point. It should theoretically be an extremely huge benefit for us.

I went to go look at other teams and started with Arizona, they played 3 games in 4 nights Oct 16-19th, then the played another 3 in 4 nights on Nov 1-4. They went 2-3-1 while we went 2-4, losing to the lowly Sharks in the last one. We did look tired against the Flames but part of that was how emotional and hard fought the win was against the Isles. That part is just hockey though. Back to backs are supposed to be hard. Ottawa has 5 back to backs in March, including 3 sets of 3 games in 4 nights. That's a tough schedule right there.

I get the NHL schedule for Vancouver is hard. The biggest thing working against Vancouver is geography. We're probably the worst situated team in the league in that we're the furthest away from all the other teams. Obviously all the teams in the Eastern belt (Conference) have easier travel because they're so close to each other (TB and FLA a little further). 

image.png.ca63d6876dc245269fe89f7ad03da998.png

I'll agree it kind of sucks but it's not the NHL's fault Vancouver is located in Vancouver either. I don't know maybe they could make an effort to make it easier but I don't really see it as that radically different from other teams when I look at the schedule. Outside of Edmonton, Calgary, Seattle, and SJ, every other team is further than any East Coast team has to travel to play within their own conference. Personally I don't think the NHL is purposely giving us bad schedules in as much as it's very hard to come up with a better one. I don't know if there is a real good solution to the problem other than moving the team to Quebec. Our back to backs is one of the best in the league though.

Personally I don't see it as such a big deal myself. Sure it's hard. The NHL is hard. I guess for those that are upset by it at least we have played fairly well and overall we are doing really well I would say. So, I'm pretty happy with the season so far, and our schedule looks like a piece of cake from here on out. December is super easy with games basically on Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday, all month long with one back to back (Minn, Chi) on the third Sunday. Jan and Feb have one back to back each and March is an absolutely teed up cake walk with no back to backs and a 9 game homestand. April has one back to back but it's nice too with two 2-day rest periods leading up to the last week of the season.

At least we're through the tough part and have done amazingly well. I'd say we're in a great position moving forward.

Your idea of subbing players in from the pressbox is interesting to say the least. Not sure if I like it or not lol, but it is definitely a cool idea. Maybe the first game of a back to back or something. Not sure the NHL would go for that though. Anyways, interesting topic. I now know our schedule inside and out. 🍺

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, coolboarder said:

It is not about similar type of games of every other day, it's about how they travel.  You would need less number of total hours on the plane to be effective. The more cross continental trip is more tougher than a short distance trip, from let's say, Washington DC to NYC.  I have travelled in that when travelling from NYC to Seattle, it's a day and night difference.  I can understand why the visiting teams from the east having so much energy than the Canucks in the very same venue playing at MSG. They both have equal strength of legs, movements, etc.  If you notice a Canucks-Flames games, or even Oilers game, home or away, doesn't matter, they have had equal energy is due to how close they were than visiting east coast teams.  I'm telling you, it's a lot easier for Eastern teams to go to West coast and still have a better energy than the Western teams going to the East.   That has been a fact since 1970's.    This is very reason why I would rather the Canucks to hold a training camp in the East coast and host a few preseason home games then start out on the road trip and still have a lot of energy due to how close cities are in the East if they keep on sending the Canucks on the road trip this early in the season every year.  The only difference is that we do not have the last change but we might be able to match their energy for a better chance of winning hockey games early.   

I have a theory, the reason why Eastern teams have it better energy on the west coast is because they are in daylight for longer when flying west.  You would get up at 5:30am EST and the sun would be up and your day will have its daylight when you arrive Vancouver and your sunset is at 9pm PST, midnight EST and you do not even feel tired until 2 hours after sunset.  You would get 8 hours of sleep and when you wake up, you are already alert and fresh the next day.  This is what I experienced when living in eastern US for college and came home for the summer.   When I go east, I would not feel alert and fresh for a several days and your daylight hours is cut short and lethargic and struggle to go bed and your biological clock is screwed up for a several days after landing in the East   This issues compounds even more when the team has to fly out at end of a game to other city in middle of night while being out in the East. 

I can see NHL expanding Kelowna and Vancouver Island 100 years from now where population growth is enough for a potential NHL expansion and Canucks travelling issue would be solved right there if the population growth is on the pace.  Right now, Kelowna is the fastest growing city in the nation via the Canadian census.

I have to travel 4-5 times a year to Boston/NYC for work and I can confirm that travel East takes much more energy, then coming back West. I am not sure about science behind it, but it is a fact of life.

15 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

I have to travel 4-5 times a year to Boston/NYC for work and I can confirm that travel East takes much more energy, then coming back West. I am not sure about science behind it, but it is a fact of life.

It's kind of like getting up for work every day for a week at 5am instead of 7am. I found this on google:

Their model determined the amount of time it would take for the body's master circadian clock to adjust to the new time zones. Jet lag is more likely to happen when you lose hours traveling East. This seems to happen because, biologically speaking, its easier for humans to stay up later, rather than go to bed earlier.

• Thanks 1