[PGT] Hurricanes at Canucks, Dec.9th

1 hour ago, Ballisticsports said:

Team no longer interested in being highest bidder and longest term on bottom line players

Bear would have been a good add for cheap, but like the way this management wants to build within their means

I love it. 

Next time they add a D, it'll be an impactful player, not a depth guy. We have enough 5-8Ds on this team. 

Done are the Delzotto Dermott Poolman type signings. Next move on D (if they make one) will be to clear Myers cap space of 6m and bringing in a bonafide 8-9m D who will control the ice and eat up a lot of the top pairing minutes. 

I can't see us being able to land a young RFA D like another Hronek... If we do though, lock up PA long term lol

My dream scenario would be that we sell Myers at the deadline in a 3 way trade where a cap basement team eats Myers full cap hit but only pays the $1m prorated salary (300k ish) while the team that's acquiring Myers pays a 2nd and a 4th for Myers with max cap retainment. 

We might also have to throw in a 6th or something... 

We then take that cap space along with the savings from the AB trade and get a bonafide star D man who's making fair market value 8-9m but stuck on a rebuilding team and trade for him without giving up much assets because we have the cap room to make it work where they won't have to retain and get a high paid player off their books. 

Wed prob need to take a guy with 3-4 years left on his contract. 

Who are some top level D stuck on bad teams? 

Guys like Josi,Jones Werenski etc. 

Edited by CanucksJay
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Not that surprising.

2 hours ago, stawns said:

Good

46 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Yup! Glad they didn't get into a bidding war. Rutherford and Alvin, along with the scouts they now have in place, will address our defense.

It will not be like the days, "not so long ago" Where Benning would freak - out and go, "Oh", I gotta have OEL, no matter what it does to the cap

I'm all kinds of okay with this. 

• Cheers 4

Save that 2.5-3M added to a tradeable contract and get a bona fide upgrade on our number 6 dman. (It would have to be a placeholder for one of our bright dmen stars coming up).  We've got great down coming up in 2-3 years. This last class of defenseman hasn't quite cut the mustard, sorry to say.

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Not that surprising.

What did we pay to get him again?  Wasn't it a 3rd rounder?  If so... Then I'd say that management overpaid a #4-5 defensemen for just one season worth of work.  

Regardless, as it stands right now, Bear isn't really what our team needs at this present time. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Hogs and Podz said:

What did we pay to get him again?  Wasn't it a 3rd rounder?  If so... Then I'd say that management overpaid a #4-5 defensemen for just one season worth of work.  

Regardless, as it stands right now, Bear isn't really what our team needs at this present time. 

Without that world's injury tho he's likely here long term.

I don't like that tournament, it means nothing and you risk losing players. It screwed us in oel too.

18 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Without that world's injury tho he's likely here long term.

I don't like that tournament, it means nothing and you risk losing players. It screwed us in oel too.

We didn't want him last year what makes you think we decided to change our mind this year? I am sure we offered him a minimum contract extention and he thought he was worth more. Good for him, I hope he likes his next gig. 

Our interest in him lately was to cover injuries, plain and simple.

This management group fishes in a lot deeper waters thank God. :classic_biggrin:

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

We didn't want him last year what makes you think we decided to change our mind this year? I am sure we offered him a minimum contract extention and he thought he was worth more. Good for him, I hope he likes his next gig. 

This management group fishes in a lot deeper waters thank God. :classic_biggrin:

Good point, I guess it would only have been long term if he agreed on his market value.

I'm just glad for him and for us. I like him but he doesn't bring something special to justify overpaying.

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Good point, I guess it would only have been long term if he agreed on his market value.

I'm just glad for him and for us. I like him but he doesn't bring something special to justify overpaying.

He became irrelevant when we acquired Hronek. Its unfortunate because I liked him too. Hughes and Hronek are offensive guys on the backend, the rest are going to be guys who are extremely good at clearing the crease and playing good sound defense. 

Bear will probably find a better fit on another team, as he is still a good NHL quality defenseman.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

12 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

He became irrelevant when we acquired Hronek. Its unfortunate because I liked him too. Hughes and Hronek are offensive guys on the backend, the rest are going to be guys who are extremely good at clearing the crease and playing good sound defense. 

Bear will probably find a better fit on another team, as he is still a good NHL quality defenseman.

I think they'll use kuzmenko to snag another rhd and have Juuls as the #7 guy.

Edited by stawns

37 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah I think they want Juulsen to be a key part of our depth and he has been improving.

Our surplus of the smaller wingers still exists as well. The possiblity to move one of Kuz, Boes or Garland is still a possibilty, especially with Hogs emerging.

1 hour ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I think it was a 5th. Shows you how good he is. Not very.

49 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Yes sir. I'm so glad this management group isn't in the habit of handing out stupid contracts like the last one. Good enough as #6/#7 guy to see if he could help out but not worth a second of worry that he's going elsewhere. He's very poor defensively and I think people will see that when he actually plays on an NHL caliber d line this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him riding the pine and his new team's fans wondering why they wasted their money.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

https://x.com/frank_seravalli/status/1586065311111196672?s=20

Yes you're correct... 5th rounder for Peterson and $400,000 retained of his 2.2 million contract.  Canucks paid him 1.8 mil in total money.  Really not a big deal, so yah.  Management still did some decent work here

Edited by Hogs and Podz
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

It wasn’t an overpayment because it was only a 5th rounder not a 3rd rounder. And if this management keeps making trades like Laffy for a 5th I’d say go for it. Bear isn’t worth the 2+Mil that he’s asking and we aren’t giving up 3rd round picks for a 5-6th D guys. Gone are the days of trading Thirds for Schmitz and Alberts. Thank puck! 

Alberts did play for a number of seasons for us as a depth guy.  Would've last even longer he not (Flames player?  I forgot who) gave him a headshot & ended his career.

We sure could use a guy like Alberts today.🥸

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Apparently Washington is looking at term with Bear which most teams aren't offering. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It is rare. Be curious to see how well it works. I suppose If a coach figures they've run all the drills that they could, and why not give them the extra time to

whatever...

It has been noted Tocchett prefers short, intense practices.  Make the mins count.  I think from a players/athlete perspective they appreciate the approach too.  Dont waste time and dont keep them around the rink longer than necessary.  He’s also preached day off habits as well eg aerobic recovery, nutrition etc.  Still a long ways to go but the coaching staff’s approach has been very purposeful.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yes sir. I'm so glad this management group isn't in the habit of handing out stupid contracts like the last one. Good enough as #6/#7 guy to see if he could help out but not worth a second of worry that he's going elsewhere. He's very poor defensively and I think people will see that when he actually plays on an NHL caliber d line this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see him riding the pine and his new team's fans wondering why they wasted their money.

Sounds like an ideal fit for the Maple Laffs then. 5 x $4. Getter done Tree.

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 hours ago, stawns said:

They already have their top 6 when Soucy's beck.

Hughes Hronek

Cole Soucy

Myers Big Z

Freidman Juulsen

That looks pretty solid. Juulsen has looked better and better too. 

• Cheers 1