[PGT] Hurricanes at Canucks, Dec.9th

26 minutes ago, Blue said:

But teams will just low ball us like they do wi azz struggling player we've ever had. We need a goal scorer. He is that. 

Looking at his career stats, he really is not a goal scorer. In his days in the KHL, he produced slightly better than Linden Vay produced in that league. In his last five years in the KHL he was about a 0.7 PPG player and a 0.3 GPG scorer in a league that's about as competitive as the AHL. Those are stats that do not get you called up. Last year for Kuzzy was an aberration. He was carried along by Petey's crazy good season, and a willingness to go to the dirty areas, where for some reason he is avoiding this year. Recall that he got a ton of rebound and tip-in goals last year from being in front, or on that backdoor play that he and Petey worked so well. Teams have taken that away. I hope he regains his mojo, but I'm not unconvinced that what we are seeing is the real Kuzzy.

Edited by Canuckleheads Fan
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, kilgore said:

He's trying. Which is why less ice won't help.

I do think that some coaches use the method of picking out one player to be the dog.  The example for other players to say "sucks to be him".  And they pick out that player because they aren't playing well. Of course. Not saying he can't work on a few things. But i also think its a part of a strategy for some coaches. And they can overplay that hand. 

One thing's for sure, Kuzy playing on the 4th line playing ~10 minutes a game won't help get his game back anytime soon. If he contributes on special teams that's another story, but he doesn't kill penalties and our PP has been running on fumes.

Kuzy's strength & skill sets require playing in the top 6 to be effective, but as of now there's no spot for him. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

36 minutes ago, Tofu_Bud said:

He had two plays at the blue line that I thought were needlessly risky.  I was wondering if Tocc might be fuming.  

That line in general isnt clicking though.  

Aman doesn't have much chemistry with PDG.  Plays well with Karlsson, going back to last season in Abby, and, ofc Hoagie.  Kuz is no Hoagie

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Zadorov is settling in nicely.  Don't notice him out there until he does something physical which is a good thing.

I noticed when Kuz threw it into the far corner ahead of Zadorov, in the 3rd, Z read the play and peeled back, instead of going for the high risk play to go in after it, and was back and set to defend when the play came back. I was impressed as I feel like when he was a Flame and in the first couple games here, he would have gone for that and boom..odd man rush the other way. So it’s good to see his game already improving under Foote and Gonchar.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Again, we've had the best season so far in a decade,  so kinda wondering how anyone can go from where we sit , to fire the coach.  Whatever deficiency you think Tocchet has is redundant overall IMO

If you can't see the defensive issues the Canucks have had they are all highlighted in my threads and post if you still don't wish to see them that's your problem

Just because they win doesn't make me blind to those issues 

People like to say the Canucks sit forth in the league or 2nd in the pacific

1st this is true but I also look at pt % because teams have played different amount of games

And the Canucks sit 6th in the league in pt% and 3rd in the pacific

2nd the Canucks also had 3 games against Edm and 1 against SJS prior to them getting their asses on track. Yes luck does play into season I agree but if those games where now well look what SJS did to the Canucks in their last game.

3rd their record against playoff teams is bad and even worse against the contenders

4th I think it comes to perspective and what a fan thinks is success for their team. If you are fine with making the playoffs and then 1 and done sure you will be happy then, they are going to make the playoffs but the way they are playing their not beating Vegas or LA and in that 3rd spot in the division that's who they are playing.

I feel with the right defensive structure this team can beat Vegas or LA in the first and then they have to play Vegas or LA in the second round. See the Pacific is week at the bottom end but it also has 2 of the best if not the best 2 teams in the league. If the Canucks get out of the pacific they have a real chance of doing something they have never done before. There is my perspective

Edited by CanuckFanForever

Just now, Barnstorm said:

Ripley’s Believe It Or Not; 

Last season it took until March 14th for the Canucks to achieve 18 wins in regulation time. 

The team is currently more than 3 months ahead of that pace. 

I think we need to take a hard look at the coaching and see RT gets his Adams nominations. 

The team has been top 5 in the league most of the season. Why would we need a 'hard look'?

27 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

But we lead the league in goals with Kuzy cold this year. 

He showed what he can do in a different system, there's a good fit out there .

About half of Kuzzy's production last season came after Tocchet took over, it's not the system, it's a willingness to roll up your sleeves, work you ass off, go to the dirty places and get greasy goals. He did it last year, but I think this situation is in his head now, like a golfer with the yips, he has no confidence. 

• Vintage 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, CanuckFanForever said:

If you can't see the defensive issues the Canucks have had they are all highlighted in my threads and post if you still don't wish to see them that's your problem

Just because they win doesn't make me blind to those issues 

People like to say the Canucks sit forth in the league or 2nd in the pacific

1st this is true but I also look at pt % because teams have played different amount of games

And the Canucks sit 6th in the league in pt% and 3rd in the pacific

2nd the Canucks also had 3 games against Edm and 1 against SJS prior to them getting their asses on track. Yes luck does play into season I agree but if those games where now well look what SJS did to the Canucks in their last game.

3rd their record against playoff teams is bad and even worse against the contenders

4th I think it comes to perspective and what a fan thinks is success for their team. If you are fine with making the playoffs and then 1 and done sure you will be happy then they are going to make the playoffs but the way they are playing their not beating Vegas or LA and in that 3rd spot in the division that's who they are playing.

I feel with the right defensive structure this team can beat Vegas or LA in the first and then they have to play Vegas or LA in the second round. See the Pacific is week at the bottom end but it also has 2 of the best if not the best 2 teams in the league. If the Canucks get out of the pacific they have a real chance of doing something they have never done before. There is my perspective

The caps were a terrible defensive team when they won the cup. Cuporbust 😉 as long as they stay close to where they are in the standings,  who cares.

37 minutes ago, kilgore said:

&%$# I wish it wasn't Kuz in Tocc's doghouse.  Its stripping the joy of the game out of him. I think he just needs to have more, not less icetime. To work on what Tocc wants. Mik scored but I think his game has been just as unnoticeable as Kuz's, but Kuz is the sacrificial dog in the dog house. Tocc's example for all the other players. I know he needs to forecheck harder, but I don't see his game as that horrible.  Sad if he just fades away and is traded for a 3th rounder or something.

I can see why Tocc do that is to give him a good example of what Hoglander did that he could do the same, playing a complete game and a team game rather than focusing on points.  Look at Hoglander.  He is becoming a complete player as a winger that helps the team more than hurts the team.  Goals will follow if Kuz work hard on other areas of his game and points will come eventually.  I mean, the coaching staff has all of the hall of famers staff and that includes the Sedins.  I'm sure that Sedin has the input of how to get Kuz going.  Like Brock hass said, this is a hard league.

• Cheers 1