[PTO] Jesse Puljujarvi joins Penguins

Water Swimming GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Forward Jesse Puljujarvi has joined the Pittsburgh Penguins on a free agent tryout after being cleared for full-contact training earlier this week.

Puljujarvi underwent double hip surgery in the off-season. He became an unrestricted free agent after going unqualified by the Carolina Hurricanes

Selected fourth overall by the Edmonton Oilers at the 2016 NHL Draft, Puljujarvi was dealt to the Hurricanes at the trade deadline in February in exchange for winger Patrik Puistola.

In 75 games last season split between the Oilers and Hurricanes, the 25-year-old had five goals and 16 points. In seven postseason games, he had one assist. 

The Alvkarleby, Sweden native has 51 goals and 114 points in 334 career NHL games.

The Penguins are seventh in the wild card race in the Eastern Conference and have lost their last two games. 

1 hour ago, Ballisticsports said:

Oilers should have had a dynasty with choosing better top picks

McD and co. would have been another

Have they dropped promoting it the City of Champions with Oilers and Eskimos (Elks) yet? 😆

I don't fault Edmonton for picking Puljujarvi. He was a consensus top 3 pick who fell to them them at 4. Sure, theoretically they could have picked Tkachuk instead, but that year the top 3 were viewed as a separate tier from 4 and 5 (who were almost always Tkachuk and PLD). I do fault Edmonton for their development though. Puljujarvi clearly would have benefited from another year in Liiga as we wasn't ready for the NHL immediately and shuffling him up and down between the NHL and AHL is rarely good for any player's development.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Ballisticsports said:

Oilers should have had a dynasty with choosing better top picks

McD and co. would have been another

Have they dropped promoting it the City of Champions with Oilers and Eskimos (Elks) yet? 😆

I think they took it down in 2015 because it was too inviting to be vandalized.

IMG_0446.jpeg

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dankmemes187 said:

KHL quality of players must be dropping wouldnt suprise me if the SHL overtakes them as number two league...

at this point id avoid drafting russian players...

Don't understand your comment.

He's not Russian ..

Canucks have faired pretty well with Russians throughout their history.

Larionov, Bure, Mogilny, Chubarov, Podkolzin, Mikheyev, Kuzmenko, Zadorov etc.

Not all drafted by canucks and the book is still out on some of the more recent ones but I personally welcome the Russians with open arms.