[RUMOUR] Adam Larsson on the trade block

IF we’re trading Kuz (which I really hope not) and it’s with the Kraken, I’d like to see us try and pry Brandon Tanev out from them alongside Larsson.

Then sign Chris Tanev as UFA (if possible). 

That’s 7.5 of cap in from the Kraken with Kuz’s 5.5 going back. Not sure what else would be required going back to facilitate a deal - likely a couple solid picks. 

Just think the Tanev bros are RT type players and would add so much blue collar character and work ethic to this team. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, RWJC said:

IF we’re trading Kuz (which I really hope not) and it’s with the Kraken, I’d like to see us try and pry Brandon Tanev out from them alongside Larsson.

Then sign Chris Tanev as UFA (if possible). 

That’s 7.5 of cap in from the Kraken with Kuz’s 5.5 going back. Not sure what else would be required going back to facilitate a deal - likely a couple solid picks. 

Just think the Tanev bros are RT type players and would add so much blue collar character and work ethic to this team. 

This was my exact thought 

tanev and Larson for Kuzy 

cap friendly says we have 3.6 in cap and SEA have none 

tanev+ Larson for Kuzy and 2 million cap space for SEA is fair, maybe we add a guy like klimovich or McDonough 

• Cheers 2

54 minutes ago, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

This year will be the first real playoff taste in about a decade. There will be hurdles, and even greater challenges, to just reach the final.

Unless it's a full Cinderella story, the Canucks, right now, need at least a couple extended playoff run experiences to even really know what it takes to be a legit cup contender.

How many tries before they "slay the dragon" on the 2011 run?

That said, it's already still a huge improvement for the Canucks. And I will be all in on cheering to go all the way!

I am with ya

I also remember a great guitar riff and song that  I always thought was the Beatles saying the same thing 😉 

• Cheers 1

A quick peek on social media and every fan base is plotting how to land Larsson out of Seattle.  If we trade for him it won’t be cheap.

Kuzmenko is an interesting starting point as an NHL ready asset, but Seattle could get a ton back in futures if they want.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, The Duke said:

A quick peek on social media and every fan base is plotting how to land Larsson out of Seattle.  If we trade for him it won’t be cheap.

Kuzmenko is an interesting starting point as an NHL ready asset, but Seattle could get a ton back in futures if they want.

I was interested in Larsson a couple of years ago but he's 31 now.  I wouldn't mind Larsson but I think there are better and younger options out there.  

I wonder if Seattle would be open to moving Will Borgen?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I was interested in Larsson a couple of years ago but he's 31 now.  I wouldn't mind Larsson but I think there are better and younger options out there.  

I wonder if Seattle would be open to moving Will Borgen?

Borgen would be great.  I saw his name on a target list, but no idea if Seattle is at all motivated to move him.

Not directed at you, but as it stands, we do have a full complement of 6 d men when everyone is healthy.  I know Cole and Soucy have played their off hands.  I’m glad management is always working to improve, but Zadorov eased a lot of pressure to land a D man.

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Myers

with Juulsen, Friedman and Wolanin.

• Cheers 2

I am not going to argue about direction. 
PA is doing everything to be as good as we can without giving away too much of the future, and it is a wild ride. 
He sees the gaping hole on the right side of the second pairing. 
If there is a move to be made PA will find it.

If there isn’t he will somehow manufacture it with multiple moves.
He’s PA that’s what he does. 
He literally makes more moves than the rest of the GMs in the NHL.

Edited by DrJockitch
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, The Duke said:

Borgen would be great.  I saw his name on a target list, but no idea if Seattle is at all motivated to move him.

Not directed at you, but as it stands, we do have a full complement of 6 d men when everyone is healthy.  I know Cole and Soucy have played their off hands.  I’m glad management is always working to improve, but Zadorov eased a lot of pressure to land a D man.

Hughes-Hronek

Zadorov-Cole

Soucy-Myers

with Juulsen, Friedman and Wolanin.

With a fully healthy defense (which hardly ever occurs by the way), I'd have Myers be the 7th d-man.

Move on from Myers at the end of the season.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

With a fully healthy defense (which hardly ever occurs by the way), I'd have Myers be the 7th d-man.

Move on from Myers at the end of the season.

I don’t mind Myers as much as most, but the fact management was still in talks with Bear makes me think they were thinking the same thing. 

That said, Juulsen is averaging 5 minutes a night less than Myers.  So while Tocchet might prefer a guy like Bear over Myers, it doesn’t look like Juulsen (or Friedman) is there yet.  Things can change in a hurry, though!

• Cheers 1

I can't see it being under a start of 1st 2024, he's a top 4 RHD with a cap friendly hit. Kuzmenko or lmao someone suggested Garland. Just ain't happening. But I would be onboard if they can swing something that doesn't involve the 2024 1st. Deep draft an all. Plus most of our 1st's other than Willander look like maybes and or not difference makers. At least yet/so far ..  Lekkermaki and Podz etc. we can't be flipping 1st every year. And this draft is a gooder

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Kuz for Larsson would be a good hockey move imo

What else are you getting for Kuz? If your looking for top value it would be futures not a hockey trade for a better D than Larsson, and Kuz isn't playing well enough right now to command that anyways. 

It would be a good hockey trade.

Question is how do we make the cap work?

19 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I think Pesce should be the target, but I trust Alvin’s judgement. The man knows what he’s doing. 

I don't understand the Pesce desire.  

For one, it would cost significant assets to acquire him.  

Secondly, when he signs his new contract as a 30 year old man, it will probably take significant term and money to convince him to stay in Vancouver (i.e. unlike Carolina, a place like Vancouver has much higher taxes, and a much more brutal travel schedule, etc.).   Pesce grew up in New York and has been on the East Coast his whole life.  

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

I don’t mind Myers as much as most, but the fact management was still in talks with Bear makes me think they were thinking the same thing. 

That said, Juulsen is averaging 5 minutes a night less than Myers.  So while Tocchet might prefer a guy like Bear over Myers, it doesn’t look like Juulsen (or Friedman) is there yet.  Things can change in a hurry, though!

Myers isn't bad as a depth D. He's just inefficient cap.

If you can retain say $2m on him and replace him with a guy like say Peake, and clear  $1m+ while also bringing in Larsson...

Next year:

Hughes, Larsson

Zadorov, Hronek

Soucy, Peake

Friedman, Juulsen

Yes please.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2

4 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's still 3 years younger than Cole or Myers.  And only a few months older than Miller.  At the end of the day, he fits our window, which is now.

Patience young grasshopper. Our window is not now, it has just begun to open. No need to rush anything and shorten the window

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Secondly, when he signs his new contract as a 30 year old man, it will probably take significant term and money to convince him to stay in Vancouver (i.e. unlike Carolina, a place like Vancouver has much higher taxes, and a much more brutal travel schedule, etc.).   Pesce grew up in New York and has been on the East Coast his whole life.  

Pesce is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. Very few blueliners track their checks as well as he does. 

I’m sure that he’s as much on Alvin’s radar as Tanev and Larsson are. Building a complete defense requires different types of players. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

The tax thing is BS and has been stated as BS for years now. Are our taxes higher, yes. Obviously. Does it have a drastic effect on NHL contracts? No. Players are paid on a per game basis. So say we play Dallas in Dallas, the players will be taxed based on their tax structure for that game. Yes, half the year will be home Canadian games, then you factor in other games against Canadians, but the difference in pay isn't as big as fans make it sound. The tax system is unbelievably complicated. So much so most players don't even really care. They take the best contract they can get. Fans act like a player making 4mil in Florida needs to make 6mil in Canada. Which is beyond absurd. If we offered him 6mil and say for instance Florida offered him 6mil he'll take the best fit for him personally. He's not gonna give a shit about taxes.

The thing that makes Canada not as appealing of an option for Americans is they want to be in the US where they grew up and have a family. Not thinking about the taxes. Also the anonymity of playing in the US is better than the frantic eyes of Canadian markets. Lots of players like their privacy. Being rich and just a face in the crowd sounds pretty awesome.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

I also am anti-Pesce. The guy has regressed hard over the last year, and his next contract will likely be an anchor. Might as well make proposals for Parayko while you’re at it.

Larsson is a perfect fit, both on the ice and on the cap sheet. Contract runs out just when Willander should be ready for a top-4 role.

Personally, if we make a trade for Larsson, I would turn around and see what we could get for Myers (perhaps with retention). Maybe another forward with size and defensive ability?

Edited by D-Money
  • Cheers 3