[RUMOUR] Adam Larsson on the trade block

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Larsson

Tanev

Kuzmenko

Myers

What pick would we have to add, to make this trade work?

I don't think Seattle wants that much cap coming back to them, but I like the idea your going for, while I'd personally do kuz for Larsson 1 for 1 I don't like Myers being #7 dmen at 6 milly so a package deal would be ideal imo

Edited by N7_Gyoza
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Totally understood and that makes sense... but trading Kuz now just because he hasn't been scoring and forechecking hard enough would send a very negative message to future FA's... I don't think he intentionally "looks lazy" out there or is having some dressing room bust-up with Tocchet... he just needs time to adjust because year 2 is naturally tougher for guys coming from overseas...

Oh well... if they say no to Garland... then we will have to circle back to Bear.... 

I agree, however, with Rutherford in our management team I wouldn’t be surprised. Rutherford makes trades, like the trade for Patrick which ended up being a very good trade for the Penguins.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Totally understood and that makes sense... but trading Kuz now just because he hasn't been scoring and forechecking hard enough would send a very negative message to future FA's... I don't think he intentionally "looks lazy" out there or is having some dressing room bust-up with Tocchet... he just needs time to adjust because year 2 is naturally tougher for guys coming from overseas...

Oh well... if they say no to Garland... then we will have to circle back to Bear.... 

Bear is all but confirmed going to the Caps. 

• Upvote 1

Kuzmenko is a talented player, and he scored almost 40 goals last year, but I'm not sure why folks are painting him as an elite scorer after a single season. A season that featured a sky high shooting percentage that was never going to be sustainable forever. Kuzmenko was always due for regression, he's more likely a 20-30 goal guy than a 40ish goal guy. 

His shooting percentage is now much closer to the league average, which isn't surprising. If he's going to score more he needs to shoot more to make up for it.

This isn't to say he's not a talented player who isn't capable of producing, but I'm not all that sure what people are expecting a "return to form" to look like. 

38 shots on goal in 25 games, shooting percentage of 10.5%. 

Any team that's inquiring about him is probably aware of this too. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, N7_Gyoza said:

I don't think Seattle wants that much cap coming back to them, but I like the idea your going, while I'd personally do kuz for Larsson 1 for 1 I don't like Myers being #7 dmen at 6 milly so a package deal would be ideal imo

Ya, the plan would be to have Tanev on that 3rd line. Then we can move Garland and a 1st for a winger to be on the Pettersson line. For example, Konecny? That way we have a top line winger and Garland who asked for a trade gets a new opportunity.

17 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Ya, the plan would be to have Tanev on that 3rd line. Then we can move Garland and a 1st for a winger to be on the Pettersson line. For example, Konecny? That way we have a top line winger and Garland who asked for a trade gets a new opportunity.

I'm not into trading Garland. He is the one driving the play on that 3rd line. Having a solid 3 and 4 line is critical come playoffs. We trade him and we lose that. He also has more or less back tracked on the request based on this season.

6 minutes ago, Tower102 said:

I'm not into trading Garland. He is the one driving the play on that 3rd line. Having a solid 3 and 4 line is critical come playoffs. We trade him and we lose that. He also has more or less back tracked on the request based on this season.

That’s good to know.

I’m not really interested in trading Garland either, he’s one of my favourite players. However, that’s why I added Tanev in the deal to be on that 3rd line.

At the end of the day, we need a winger to be on a line with Pettersson especially if Kuzmenko gets traded. A 1st and Garland (and more) probably gets back a good winger to be on a line with Pettersson.

Edited by J-23
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I haven't heard what term or AAV Pesce is looking for. I do know that he would prefer to stay in Carolina, if he can help it. 

You might have answered your own question.  Barring a significant overpayment on both term and money from us (keeping in mind that Pesce will be 30 when the new contract kicks in), it seems like Pesce definitely has a preference to stay on the East Coast.  

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I doubt Carolina are trading him regardless, extended or not. Any chance we'd have to add him is likely this summer as UFA anyway (if at all). So no assets given up. 

I also don't think he'll be as expensive as many are fearing...~$5.5x5-6 years. Which rising cap and Willander on an ELC, then bridge will easily counter.

He's the best player "available", to fit the hole we have. That said, Larsson is a close 2nd, and has an extra year of locked in, low cap, certainty. I'd certainly be THRILLED to add him instead (I was praying he'd sign with us before he went to Seattle). Especially if we get him for post of this season too. People thinking that extra year is long enough for Willander might be a bit surprised though. There's a solid chance he'll need more time before assuming a top 4 role on a team looking to become a contender. It's very likely we'd have to extend or replace, then 32 year old Larsson, in the summer of 25.

And as for becoming that contender, I'd say (assuming we added Larsson) we'd be  a "replacing Garland with a power forward" away from having the majority of the roster. From there, it's mostly just experience and having done young guys from the farm come in and fill roles.

Personally, I'd rather choose Larsson over Pesce due to the term and money (i.e. reasonably strong possibility of Willander being able to replace Larsson once Larsson's contract expires).  We could then comfortable walk away from Larsson.  That Pesce contract could get ugly a few years down the road. Our nerdish media would probably start coming up with the lame joke, "Hey boys, is that Bret Pesce or Joe Pesci? lololol"

As far as Garland goes, the only PWF that we might be able to get for Garland is Josh Anderson.  At least that's who comes to mind.  Any semen related dreams for Tom Wilson needs to be put to rest unfortunately.  

Jakub Vrana just put on waivers...

Maybe this?

Kuz++ for Larsson, Vrana off waivers.

Save on cap to bring in Kessel?

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Vrana-Petey-Kessel

Mikheyev-Suter-Garland

Joshua-Blueger-Lafferty

Aman

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Larsson

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy

Playoff ready?

25 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

You might have answered your own question.  Barring a significant overpayment on both term and money from us (keeping in mind that Pesce will be 30 when the new contract kicks in), it seems like Pesce definitely has a preference to stay on the East Coast.  

Yet, I never asked a question.....

Players have their preferences for sure, and frankly the more stick with them, the better. I guess, in more general sense, the Canucks should be focusing on a Pesce style player. A true #3-4 defenseman.

Big, but more akin to solid positional play than physicality (although this is Tocc's team, so you'll have to throw the body), has great vision and processes the game at a higher level. Tanev and Larsson also fit that bill. 

I do think that under Foote and Gonchar, one (or both) of Soucy and Zadorov could be elevated to a #4 position. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Jakub Vrana just put on waivers...

Maybe this?

Kuz++ for Larsson, Vrana off waivers.

Save on cap to bring in Kessel?

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Vrana-Petey-Kessel

Mikheyev-Suter-Garland

Joshua-Blueger-Lafferty

Aman

Hughes-Hronek

Cole-Larsson

Zadorov-Myers

Soucy

Playoff ready?

That's a horrid 2nd line. Put some NHLers on Petey's line, please. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Personally, I'd rather choose Larsson over Pesce due to the term and money (i.e. reasonably strong possibility of Willander being able to replace Larsson once Larsson's contract expires).  We could then comfortable walk away from Larsson.  That Pesce contract could get ugly a few years down the road. Our nerdish media would probably start coming up with the lame joke, "Hey boys, is that Bret Pesce or Joe Pesci? lololol"

As far as Garland goes, the only PWF that we might be able to get for Garland is Josh Anderson.  At least that's who comes to mind.  Any semen related dreams for Tom Wilson needs to be put to rest unfortunately.  

There's a very solid chance Willander isn't ready for top 4 duties on a (attempting to be) contender team as soon is 1 more season from now. GREAT if he is, but assuming and planning based on that would not be prudent management. We're going to need "someone" for longer than just 1 year after this one, and should be planning accordingly. 

I didn't say it would be Garland straight across. I have faith in this management that they can find a PWF version of a Hronek trade. But sure, it will cost some assets. And no, not Tom Wilson.

• Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Beni said:

Larsson would be a good pickup for Van and we would have a very solid D corps.

Not sure about giving up on Kuzmenko just yet, was he really that bad defensively last season that Tocchet is making him re make his game? 

It's probably how he was able to score 39 goals while we were getting killed 8-5 all the time.

6 hours ago, N7_Gyoza said:

I don't think Seattle wants that much cap coming back to them, but I like the idea your going for, while I'd personally do kuz for Larsson 1 for 1 I don't like Myers being #7 dmen at 6 milly so a package deal would be ideal imo

His cap is kind of a moot point, hes done after this season

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Our window is now not a few years from now.  Saying our window is a few years from now implies we are still looking for core players and just trying to make the playoffs.

We literally have the best record in Vancouver Canucks history after 28 games this season.  Even better than 2010-2011.  Why wait a few years to go for the cup when we can do it now?  In a few years, Miller won't be the same player anymore.  And Hughes will be a UFA.  If we are dicking around and not trying to contend then why should Hughes stay in Vancouver?  Why would Petey stay after next season?

JR was very clear when he said he is looking to contend in 2-3 years when he arrived.  The moves we are making now do not look like moves of a team waiting for a few years to contend.

I like Kuz...love his smile and enthusiasm, however If they can swing a deal for Larson, I can see them doing it.

When Larsons contract expires, we may have Willander ready... to take his position.

As for winger, we are likely going to let go of either Brock or Kuz in the offseason and definitely in a years time to cope with the cap penalty... and to make room for Lekkerimaki (hopefully).

It's a gamble, but here and now we are more in need of a rhd than a misfiring winger... even if he start scoring again we have that hole on the D...

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, DeNiro said:

lol if our window is only open now until three years from now management really screwed up. 😂

Good thing that’s not true.

The window is likely longer, but that's not to say, they shouldn't go for it now... 

Strike while the iron is hot... if the window is longer (hopefully is), it should give us even more opportunities to go for it.

Of course a 26year old D man at low cap hit and term would be even better, but where do we find that mid season without overpaying?

• ThereItIs 3

21 minutes ago, spook007 said:

The window is likely longer, but that's not to say, they shouldn't go for it now... 

Strike while the iron is hot... if the window is longer (hopefully is), it should give us even more opportunities to go for it.

Of course a 26year old D man at low cap hit and term would be even better, but where do we find that mid season without overpaying?

Yup. Our core is the tops in the league. And they are (collectively) young. We have a 7-10 year window of winning Cups with this core. It’s keep the key core guys and retool around them. Over and over again. JR is proven to know how to do exactly that. IMHAO we will win 3 Cups with this core. The first being this year. Cup parade down Georgia in June 2024. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I'm still not convinced Larsson is available, as in the link it says teams are inquiring not that he's being shopped. But if Larsson is available it's going to cost a premium. I'm not convinced Kuzmenko at 1.5M retained to make cap work is enough for Seattle to say yes and I definitely wouldn't want to be throwing picks in as well.

Also, Larsson at 4M is a great player, but is he still a great player at 5.5M? He's great defensively but never contributed much offensively except for last season.

Edited by Diamonds

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Our core is the tops in the league. And they are (collectively) young. We have a 7-10 year window of winning Cups with this core. It’s keep the key core guys and retool around them. Over and over again. JR is proven to know how to do exactly that. IMHAO we will win 3 Cups with this core. The first being this year. Cup parade down Georgia in June 2024. 

Lets just start with 1, but like your prediction... 🙂

• Cheers 1