[RUMOUR] Adam Larsson on the trade block

43 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He's still 3 years younger than Cole or Myers.  And only a few months older than Miller.  At the end of the day, he fits our window, which is now.

He probably has 2-3 years left of very good hockey in him.  

I would really prefer to swing for a 26 or 27 year old, but ultimately I think that we need to chill now and let the season play out. 

We can look into a free addition in Bear, but spending more draft capital is our of the question for me unless we get a mid to late 20s dman. 

I’d be fine with trading either Garland or Kuzmenko for Larsson.  Window is Miller Demko longevity.  That is now.  Larsson immediately becomes our 3rd best dman.  I don’t care how old he is… he’ll eat the top matchup minutes and free Huggy and Hronek to do even more damage against weaker possession matches. 6’3”, 210, big heavy hitter. Larsson wins boards battles, will eat top pk minutes, and I think he’d be an amazing addition for playoff hockey too.

Huggy-Hronek

Cole-Larsson 

Soucy-Zadorov

Myers

That is a playoff menacing dcore 

Edited by Seventy7
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Boeser, Demko, Miller, Joshua, Garland, Lafferty, Cole, Hughes, Myers and DeSmith say what?

Yes, I'm well aware that we have American players on our team.  Myers is also Canadian and lives in Kelowna, so not sure why you added him to the list.  Boeser, Hughes, Demko were all drafted by Vancouver, were you expecting them not to report to the team?  Lafferty played in Toronto.  Joshua is a 4th line plug and DeSmith is a backup goalie.  

Good luck trying to convince a top 4 Dman who's never seen Canada other than on a road trip to come and play in Vancouver...

• Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Seventy7 said:

I’d be fine with trading either Garland or Kuzmenko for Larsson.  Window is Miller Demko longevity.  That is now.  Larsson immediately becomes our 3rd best dman.  I don’t care how old he is… he’ll eat the top matchup minutes and free Huggy and Hronek to do even more damage against weaker possession matches. Larsson plays hard, wins boards battles, will help pk, and I think he’d be an amazing addition for playoff hockey too.

THIS.  100% THIS...

10 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Sure, but why would the Kraken do the trade?

… because they are in free fall having lost 7 in a row and need to make changes and also look to the future.  A 31 year old D isn’t that.

There is a reason that rumours of their players being available are out there.

They may not even want to keep Kuzmenko if they are bailing on the season soon, but may want to flip him for a bad contract and picks.

They are in a tough spot of also needing to show new fans some progress.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

… because they are in free fall having lost 7 in a row and need to make changes and also look to the future.  A 31 year old D isn’t that.

There is a reason that rumours of their players being available are out there.

They may not even want to keep Kuzmenko if they are bailing on the season soon, but may want to flip him for a bad contract and picks.

They are in a tough spot of also needing to show new fans some progress.

Again, they're right up against the cap.  Don't think they can unless its part of a bigger move

16 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Again, they're right up against the cap.  Don't think they can unless its part of a bigger move

They have millions in available LTIR space at the moment with Burakovksy out for a couple months and possibly Grubauer and Schwartz missing extended time.

If ALL those guys come back, they could play a roster player or two short of the full 23 man and fit the move in without any trades, just like many teams are doing.  The salary difference isn’t huge and small throw ins either way can also make it work.

Odds are another injury or a deadline deal happens in the next couple months and they don’t even have to do that.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

They have millions in available LTIR space at the moment with Burakovksy out for a couple months and possibly Grubauer and Schwartz missing extended time.

If ALL those guys come back, they could play a roster player or two short of the full 23 man and fit the move in without any trades, just like many teams are doing.  The salary difference isn’t huge and small throw ins either way can also make it work.

Odds are another injury or a deadline deal happens in the next couple months and they don’t even have to do that.

The Tampa Bay method (it got them a Cup)

1 minute ago, Drakrami said:

If we trade Kuzmenko for another Dman with cap, we are suddenly looking thin on forwards and weak on top 6. 

Yea that’s my thoughts as well.

It would be nice to acquire a D man and a forward in a trade.

Something like Konecny and Walker. No idea how much that would cost but it would give us way better depth.

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

The Tampa Bay method (it got them a Cup)

This is just a $1.5 million dollar difference in salaries, so it isn’t like hiding a star player until the playoffs (that they aren’t going to make)

Eminently do-able.  More than half the league is operating with less cap space than they have.  15 teams in LTIR and 3 more teams who are running with roster smaller than 23 who would have less cap space than Seattle if they ran with full rosters.

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

In a few years, Miller will be a 3rd liner and Hughes and Demko are probably gone if we aren't contending for a cup...

This year will be the first real playoff taste in about a decade. There will be hurdles, and even greater challenges, to just reach the final.

Unless it's a full Cinderella story, the Canucks, right now, need at least a couple extended playoff run experiences to even really know what it takes to be a legit cup contender.

How many tries before they "slay the dragon" on the 2011 run?

That said, it's already still a huge improvement for the Canucks. And I will be all in on cheering to go all the way!

Edited by Drive-By Body Pierce
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Ahh, yeah, got the month wrong. Still, the rest of my point stands. 

He doesn't have couple of years left on contract either...

He's ufa at end of next season same as Kuzmenko.

But no way we get him straight up for Kuzmenko. 

He'll cost more than that.  

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

If we trade Kuzmenko for another Dman with cap, we are suddenly looking thin on forwards and weak on top 6. 

I don’t think so… at least we have more depth there.  Suter should be back soon as he is practicing, which pushes someone out anyways and Aman needs to be waived now.  Podkolzin is still in the minors as it Raty and Karlsson.

It is a risk that Lafferty and Hoglander continue to be useful pick retrievers in the top six… but it is also a risk leaving Kuzmenko there as he hasn’t been producing. 

It is a risk you take for a massive upgrade on D.  Larsson would immediately be our 3rd best D, and our best defensive D (all due respect to Cole who has been solid).  The downgrade at foereward isn’t as steep as the upgrade on the back end.

Mikheyev-Petterson-Lafferty

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Suter-Garland

DiGuiseppe-Blueger-Aman

Podkolzin-Raty-Karlsson

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Was on my wishlist early in November. Cost might be a lot, I dunno if they'll bend as hard as Calgary did on Zadorov. He's not young, but he's not super old either. He's right in line age wise with Miller. The fact of the matter is our window is pretty close to right now with OEL's buyout kicking up in a few years. Demko's new contract in a few years. The logistics of a trade would be pretty difficult though. We'd need to move Garland. I doubt they want him back. Maybe we can sell em on Kuzmenko+?

• Cheers 1