[RUMOUR] Adam Larsson on the trade block

I wanted him the last time he was a free agent, would have been the perfect partner for Hughes. Now he's 31, still a top pairing strong shutdown RD but he's getting destroyed this year. Stats don't look great and he's a minus 10.

If we could snag him relatively cheaply then I'd be all for it - he could easily sit on our right side and we let Cole/Myers move on. Two more years at 4M is very tasty.

I wonder if there's a trade around Kuzmenko + defenceman for Larsson? Depends what Seattle want, I think they'd want to stay competitive for sure.

Kuzmenko + Myers/Cole (a boat-load retained) + pick for Larsson?

Hughes - Hronek

Zadorov - Larsson

Soucy - Cole/Myers

8 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

I can't see it being under a start of 1st 2024, he's a top 4 RHD with a cap friendly hit. Kuzmenko or lmao someone suggested Garland. Just ain't happening. But I would be onboard if they can swing something that doesn't involve the 2024 1st. Deep draft an all. Plus most of our 1st's other than Willander look like maybes and or not difference makers. At least yet/so far ..  Lekkermaki and Podz etc. we can't be flipping 1st every year. And this draft is a gooder

Let me dream 😞

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, JeremyCuddles said:

. Players are paid on a per game basis. So say we play Dallas in Dallas, the players will be taxed based on their tax structure for that game. Yes, half the year will be home Canadian games, then you factor in other games against Canadians, but the difference in pay isn't as big as fans make it sound.

Thank you for clarifying this.  I didn't realize that this was the structure.  

9 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Pesce is one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. Very few blueliners track their checks as well as he does. 

I’m sure that he’s as much on Alvin’s radar as Tanev and Larsson are. Building a complete defense requires different types of players. 

Maybe, but what would be the purpose of acquiring him?  (given the significant assets that we'd need to give up for him).

If it's just for this year, would it really be worth it?  Would Pesce put us on the same level as the NYR's, Vegas', and Colorado's of the league?  I'm not so sure.

If it's for the long term, then I re-iterate, Pesce is going to want significant term and money if he's going to stay in Vancouver. Given what his age will be when his new contract kicks in (30), do you think that contract will age well?   I'm not so sure..  

Also, with Hronek here, and Willander on his way, will we really need Pesce here for the long term?  

• Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Would you do Kuzmenko for Larsson straight up?

I would make this trade. Then I would try and move Myers and trade for Konecny or Bertuzzi or someone else? I know Bertuzzi hasn’t played the best with the Leafs but he was always great with Detroit and Boston. Mikheyev - Pettersson - Bertuzzi/Konecny. 

2023/2024

Hughes - Larsson

Soucy - Hronek

Cole - Zadorov
          - Myers

2024/2025

Hughes - Larsson

Soucy - Hronek

Zadorov - Tanev

- McWard

2023/2024
Mikheyev - Pettersson - TRADE 

Hoglander - Miller - Boeser

Joshua - Suter - Garland

Lafferty - Blueger - Podkolzin

Hughes - Larsson

Soucy - Hronek

Cole - Zadorov

• Cheers 2

50 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Kuz Missile for Adam Larsen. Krackheads get an elite scorer (which they greatly need) and we get a second pairing RSD. They likely add a pick and prospect. It’s Allvin and not Benning making the deal. 

Yep. We are not in a position to have to help anyone, so fair value or go pound sand.

I am curious tho if Kuzy and Suter can have some chemistry. We might want to see that before moving him.

• Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

43 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

Maybe, but what would be the purpose of acquiring him?  (given the significant assets that we'd need to give up for him).

If it's just for this year, would it really be worth it?  Would Pesce put us on the same level as the NYR's, Vegas', and Colorado's of the league?  I'm not so sure.

If it's for the long term, then I re-iterate, Pesce is going to want significant term and money if he's going to stay in Vancouver. Given what his age will be when his new contract kicks in (30), do you think that contract will age well?   I'm not so sure..  

Also, with Hronek here, and Willander on his way, will we really need Pesce here for the long term?  

I doubt Carolina are trading him regardless, extended or not. Any chance we'd have to add him is likely this summer as UFA anyway (if at all). So no assets given up. 

I also don't think he'll be as expensive as many are fearing...~$5.5x5-6 years. Which rising cap and Willander on an ELC, then bridge will easily counter.

He's the best player "available", to fit the hole we have. That said, Larsson is a close 2nd, and has an extra year of locked in, low cap, certainty. I'd certainly be THRILLED to add him instead (I was praying he'd sign with us before he went to Seattle). Especially if we get him for post of this season too. People thinking that extra year is long enough for Willander might be a bit surprised though. There's a solid chance he'll need more time before assuming a top 4 role on a team looking to become a contender. It's very likely we'd have to extend or replace, then 32 year old Larsson, in the summer of 25.

And as for becoming that contender, I'd say (assuming we added Larsson) we'd be  a "replacing Garland with a power forward" away from having the majority of the roster. From there, it's mostly just experience and having done young guys from the farm come in and fill roles.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Yep. We are not in a position to have to help anyone, so fair value or go pound sand.

I am curious tho if Kuzy and Suter can have some chemistry. We might want to see that before moving him.

Good point. Those two could be solid as a third line duo. 
Moving Kuz Missile really depends on what the end result (after Allvin does his 4D chess managing assets to get what he ultimately wants) will be. If it’s a legit top four D, then I see it as a good move. 

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

45 minutes ago, Jeremy Hronek said:

The purpose would be to strengthen the defense. Not sure it would be as significant as you may think. 

If it's for the year, it wouldn't be worth it. The team would need to re-sign him to make it worth it. Having Pesce would give the Canucks one of the best defensive defensemen in the league. Adding him to a d-corps that has one of the best defensemen in the league in Hughes, along with a true #2 in Hronek, and Zadorov, Soucy would make the Canucks defense one of the best in the league. More size and grit than NY and Colorado for sure. 

I haven't heard what term or AAV Pesce is looking for. I do know that he would prefer to stay in Carolina, if he can help it. 

Hronek is a solid defenseman but not at the level of defensive defenseman that Pesce is. Filip is more offensively gifted, which is great.

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

46 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

I think it's way too soon to move Kuzmenko. He's in a slump, happens to all players. 

I am not moving out Kuzmenko when you're relying on Sam Lafferty, a career 4th liner, to carry on contributing on a line with Petey. Laf has been awesome value but that's one hell of a gamble to make. There are other avenues I want them to explore before moving on from Kuzy. Way way too early. 

Larsson, sure, but he's nothing special. Kuzy can return to being a very special player. He just needs some time. 

Thank you Delta!

I agree it's too early to move Kuzmenko and think we should really try to work through this (relatively small) slump, but if someone like Larsson is on offer we have to jump at him. That being said, Larsson has slowed down and doesn't look great this year, but you just know if we plonk him in this defence-first team mentality he'll really improve. Kraken have plenty of good top-4 defencemen but surely they'll want a D-man back, roster player or prospect. Kuzmenko surely starts the conversation.

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Good point. Those two could be solid as a third line duo. 
Moving Kuz Missile really depends on what the end result (after Allvin does his 4D chess managing assets to get what he ultimately wants) will be. If it’s a legit top four D, then I see it as a good move. 

Yep. In Allvin we trust 

If the deal was for Pesce I'd do that one immediately. Larson I'd have to think a little more about, since it helps a division rival. Cowtown was dumb to give us Big Z e.g. , I don't want to do something similar.

But if Kuzy and Suter turn the 3rd line into a scoring threat? Thats good too.

Hold on boys.... why are giving up Kuz already???? He's one of the fan fav's.... he just needs to re-focus on what worked for him last season!! It's not like he's 32 earning $7M+ here...

I'd trade Garland + prospects for Larsson and then call up Podkolzin!! We need to bring in a guy like Larsson, not Bear who's just a slight upgrade over Juulsen/Friedman!!

1 hour ago, DeltaSwede said:

I think it's way too soon to move Kuzmenko. He's in a slump, happens to all players. 

I am not moving out Kuzmenko when you're relying on Sam Lafferty, a career 4th liner, to carry on contributing on a line with Petey. Laf has been awesome value but that's one hell of a gamble to make. There are other avenues I want them to explore before moving on from Kuzy. Way way too early. 

Larsson, sure, but he's nothing special. Kuzy can return to being a very special player. He just needs some time. 

Agreed.  If Kuzmenko returns to form, this team will be a powerhouse. 

I'd only move Kuzmenko if we're bringing in another top 6 forward.  Creating 1 hole to fill another is not how we move forward.

8 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Hold on boys.... why are giving up Kuz already???? He's one of the fan fav's.... he just needs to re-focus on what worked for him last season!! It's not like he's 32 earning $7M+ here...

I'd trade Garland + prospects for Larsson and then call up Podkolzin!! We need to bring in a guy like Larsson, not Bear who's just a slight upgrade over Juulsen/Friedman!!

Seattle needs someone who can score goals, so they probably say no to that. No disrespect to Garland, he’s been great for us this year.

I don’t think anyone is giving up on Kuzmenko. To get a good defensive defencemen on the right side you have to trade good players.

Edited by J-23
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, J-23 said:

Seattle needs someone who can score goals, so they probably say no to that. No disrespect to Garland, he’s been great for us this year.

I don’t think anyone is giving up on Kuzmenko. To get a good defensive defencemen on the right side you have to trade good players back the other way.

Totally understood and that makes sense... but trading Kuz now just because he hasn't been scoring and forechecking hard enough would send a very negative message to future FA's... I don't think he intentionally "looks lazy" out there or is having some dressing room bust-up with Tocchet... he just needs time to adjust because year 2 is naturally tougher for guys coming from overseas...

Oh well... if they say no to Garland... then we will have to circle back to Bear....