[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Tampa Bay Lightning, Rogers Arena, Dec 12, 7pm PST - The Lets Keep the Winning Ways Going ... m'Kay! Game

Rocket-68

Tweaking, Tweaking Little Star, oh what will PA do with the Door Ajar  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Well now, what aging Superstar will the Canucks trade for (brackets are my opinion, add yours in the comments on what the package will be)

• Ovenchiken, Washington ain't getting another cup the rest of this decade so might as well package up (Kuz / Garland / picks for Ovi - retention in play)
    • Crosby! Flightless birds want to give Sid-da-Kid another cup so (Kuz you are up with Myers to drive you both to the airport)
    • Tarasenko, Petey needs a bull in the china shop player and 'senko has at least 1 good year left in him to push us over the top
    • PA ain't trading anyone off the team, Phil the Thrill for a Mil is available - low risk is what JR thrives on
    • Joe Pavelski - 'nuf said
    • ummm, dear author, perhaps you should get checked for CTE ... none of the above are remotely possible. But since you asked see my comments below for a likely trade for an unlikely player to be moved.

38 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

The boys have tightened up their game and have looked sharp the past 2 games after the NJD debacle.

Whatever funk they were in, they've shaken off.

We are on a good trajectory here. Things that stood out to me the past 2 games is less hesitation. Straight into systems play where guys are skating hard to the right spots of the ice from a defensive perspective which then translates to offense. 

Previous to that, they were overthinking where they need to be and didnt skate to the puck hard enough to win puck possession.  Being second to the puck further exasperated the issue as then holes were created in vulnerable spots on the ice with the other team countering at full speed and us standing flat footed.

The answer to that wasn't to abandon the system but to learn it inside out so that it becomes automatic and second nature. 

They have had their rest and fatigue should not be a concern.

We have 7 games until Christmas break

I predict a 5-1-1 or better to end the season starting with a win tonight. 

Once Soucy comes back, we will be cruising until TDL when we become buyers and upgrade Myers for a 2-3D and then its game over for the rest of the league!

Agreed as long as they continue to play a full 60 minutes they should be in good shape.

• Cheers 1

Just now, stawns said:

Awwww, does my opinion hurt your feelings?  Tye Canucks have been a .500 team for a month and I'd like to see more wins before I declare them out of that funk.

I'm sorry that a different opinion is so hard for you to handle

All good, have your opinions and of course we all want them to win more games. At the end of the day, they have accomplished enough to not only make the playoffs, they accomplished enough to secure a good lead in a divisional spot. 

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

The Hockey Guy uploaded a video recently about how decades of disappointment have tempered his expectations and ability to be optimistic about the Canucks. Man, it's a long trip down a very sad memory lane but I found myself nodding in agreement - it was a bit of a therapy session to see all the years of futility laid out like that! So as much as I want to believe the Canucks take this game (Go Canucks!), in the back of my mind there's always this little voice telling me the Canucks will find a way to disappoint again.

This year's team, coaches and management really do feel different and a bit special, but I just can't get too excited until they prove they can perform when it really counts. Let's start with tonight!

For me the biggest disappointment was 2003 series against Minnesota.

I mean, Canucks built 3-1 lead playing good defensively sounds hockey, winning games 3-2, basically playing Minnesota style. I remember talks in the office between game 4 and 5 that the road to the SCF is wide open .

And then - boom, blow outs in the next 2 games and a big fuck up in the game 7 after leading 2-0

Painful memories

7 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

For me the biggest disappointment was 2003 series against Minnesota.

I mean, Canucks built 3-1 lead playing good defensively sounds hockey, winning games 3-2, basically playing Minnesota style. I remember talks in the office between game 4 and 5 that the road to the SCF is wide open .

And then - boom, blow outs in the next 2 games and a big fuck up in the game 7 after leading 2-0

Painful memories

Because Bert open up his big mouth and asked the wild fans why they are lining up for tix to game 6.  

Clouts had a melt down too.  But Crow's team can't play good D. 

That wild team knocked out Avs in round one and ended Roy's career in an OT loss.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

I watched it.  He's an old guy who is disappointed over the decades and thinks he'll never see a cup win by Nux in his life time.  

But i think it's better just take a big brush and wipe the history off.

New management, new team. A HHOF builder no less.  

I mean he could have done the same thing with the Leafs, Sens and Jets over the same time period since 1970, more or less, and get similar conclusions.  Except Jets never made the SCFs. 

This and as a fan of the Pacers, Orioles and Browns as well, relax 😂

Family Guy Reaction GIF

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Ha, I'm also an old guy who is disappointed over the decades and thinks he'll never see a cup win by Nux in his life time. 

It does feel like the Canucks have experienced more years of futility than most other pro sports franchises, but it's also really the only team I've cheered for my whole life so I don't have great perspective on that.

Fail Charlie Brown GIF by Peanuts

Up until recent decades you could say the same thing about the Boston Red Sox or the Chicago Cubs.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Doesn't really matter what EDM does now, we've already beaten them in the season series if we end up tied in points, and them beating up on la or Vegas just helps us. They likely won't pass us in points.

Yep.   We've got a lot of tie breakers.   The Canucks are one of a few teams, not getting loser points this year but high in the standings. 

• Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

Here's hoping Demmer is in "brick wall" mode, bcoz Kuch et al are going to be coming at him in waves...I feel good about tonight though, the boys will come out with the W.

Hopefully the defense supports Demko in preventing too many grade A chances. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Strawbone said:

The Hockey Guy uploaded a video recently about how decades of disappointment have tempered his expectations and ability to be optimistic about the Canucks.

if the Cubs can win a championship, so do the Canucks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1