[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Tampa Bay Lightning, Rogers Arena, Dec 12, 7pm PST - The Lets Keep the Winning Ways Going ... m'Kay! Game

Rocket-68

Tweaking, Tweaking Little Star, oh what will PA do with the Door Ajar  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Well now, what aging Superstar will the Canucks trade for (brackets are my opinion, add yours in the comments on what the package will be)

• Ovenchiken, Washington ain't getting another cup the rest of this decade so might as well package up (Kuz / Garland / picks for Ovi - retention in play)
    • Crosby! Flightless birds want to give Sid-da-Kid another cup so (Kuz you are up with Myers to drive you both to the airport)
    • Tarasenko, Petey needs a bull in the china shop player and 'senko has at least 1 good year left in him to push us over the top
    • PA ain't trading anyone off the team, Phil the Thrill for a Mil is available - low risk is what JR thrives on
    • Joe Pavelski - 'nuf said
    • ummm, dear author, perhaps you should get checked for CTE ... none of the above are remotely possible. But since you asked see my comments below for a likely trade for an unlikely player to be moved.

Just now, The Aquaman said:

Great idea……I’m not sure if it does?

All I know is in the early 2000's I subscribed to Centre Ice in Toronto. That's how I was able to watch pretty much all the Canucks games. And I was one of the few that would stay up late during the week, just to watch the Canucks play.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Because Bert open up his big mouth and asked the wild fans why they are lining up for tix to game 6.  

Clouts had a melt down too.  But Crow's team can't play good D. 

That wild team knocked out Avs in round one and ended Roy's career in an OT loss.  

They bored us all to sleep, one line team, on offence that team was gaborik and nothing. 

Yeah bert's comments were dumb and clouts sucked. WCE got grabbed to hell, sedins were too soft then and we couldn't score. I miss that team, was exciting to watch, just needed a decent goalie and the sedins to mature faster. 

Trent klatt..how bout that.

14 minutes ago, Rubik said:

if the Cubs can win a championship, so do the Canucks

As long you live long enough.

As for this current group, the plan is playoffs in 1 yr, cup in 3yrs.  

Edited by Jaimito
  • Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, stawns said:

They're not out of any woods yet.  Two games isn't a trend and both games were against teams outside of the playoff picture.  They definitely look better, but they need to be in .600's over the next 7 games, to be out of this "funk", imo

They are totally not out of the woods.

I was just being optimistic lol.

Tampa is also out of the playoff picture but if we play another good game tonight coupled with their past 2 would show they are trending back in the right direction.

It's hard to gauge where this team is at by looking at teams in the playoff picture because this changes daily. This is probably due to Bettman's "parity" of the league.

As you said, the Oilers are on fire and may make the playoffs.  But then, we would proably undermine our 3 regulation wins against them because the Oilers were playing terribly when we played them. (And rightfully so). This current version of the Oilers team is not the same Oilers team at the start) 

Tampa beat us when they were playing well and clearly in the playoff mix but now sit outside the playoff spot.

Carolina was a playoff team until this current 4 game losing streak.

Nashville was a team we beat twice in regulation in 2 games but we didnt count them as "stiff competition" because they were sitting outside of a playoff spot at that time.  Yet here they are sitting in a playoff spot.

I can only judge by how we are playing and I would say the past 2 games were night and day different from lets say the NJD game where we were giving up chances galore. 

The next 2 games Tampa and Florida will be a good test of where we are at.

I do wonder if there is a better way to gauge team performance in relation to strength of opposition.

Maybe the best way to look at overall team level of play is to take your idea of making the playoff teams the cutoff for more difficult competition but have the stat continually evolving so that the stat is reflective for every game at that specific moment in time. This will be a nightmare to track on a historical bases because standings would have changed every day.

So today, we play Tampa, a non playoff team that we "should win" on paper.

Next game, we play Florida (who will most likely remain a playoff team when we face them)

But really, take it one game at a time instead of looking ahead like I just did for the next 7 games because as it currently stands, we play 3 playoff teams in our next 7 (Florida, Dallas and Nashville but Nashville might no longer be a playoff team when we face them.

Looking back, I wonder how we fared against teams that were holding a playoff position when we face them.

If the Oilers take a playoff spot and Nashville cling on to 7th seed, thats technically going 5-0 against playoff teams I hadn't counted previously.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Excuse me? The team is second in the division and with an 18-9 record yet that is not enough for you. Your negativity akin Drance is what’s truly boring 

You try 50 years of optimism, half a century, without the Grail.

Numbers mean nothing without context. Like 2nd in division. But played 3 to 4 games more than 3 teams 3 points behind, still 2nd though in points.

Here is another one. Since the 14 game mark the team is 8W 6L, 46 GF. The first 14, 10 W 4L, 64 GF. There is a trend there.

It is not negativity, it is caution and a lessening of faith because this story has happen several times before.

Beside 50+ years deserve some respect for real dedicated fan's opinions. 

1 minute ago, TheGuardian said:

You try 50 years of optimism, half a century, without the Grail.

Numbers mean nothing without context. Like 2nd in division. But played 3 to 4 games more than 3 teams 3 points behind, still 2nd though in points.

Here is another one. Since the 14 game mark the team is 8W 6L, 46 GF. The first 14, 10 W 4L, 64 GF. There is a trend there.

It is not negativity, it is caution and a lessening of faith because this story has happen several times before.

Beside 50+ years deserve some respect for real dedicated fan's opinions. 

That is a couple things. 
Schedule got tougher and injuries built up 

NHL coaching is about choking the fun out of the game. We were hot from the start but then NHL coaches started noticing and have lots of tape on us now. We have to adjust to their adjustments. 
We also looked to have believed our press clippings for a while and the effort went down. 
Hopefully we are starting to turn things around. Expect there will be hot streaks and periods of 500ish hockey throughout the rest of the season. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PistolPete13 said:

Kuz is still on PP1. 
Back in the day the Habs only played Yvan Cournyeyer (sp?). On the power play. He went on to have a productive career. 
Hope that the tough love approach works and Kuz erupts in the second half of the season. 
A man can dream.

I think Kuzmenko still wants it really bad.

He has grown in his new responsibilities, not enough, but enough to keep going.

He will probably move around a bit in the lineup before he gets back to the top line.

Once we get a True #1 LW, Kuzmenko may find it rare to be playing with Pettersson.

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

Longest championship droughts... looks like Canucks are tied for 10th longest in North American Pro sports history. So we're bad.. but not the worst! Yay us!

Longest championship droughts within the four major sports - BVM Sports

The Leafs gotta be way up there. Tied for 6th 😆

Edited by Nucker67

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Awwww, does my opinion hurt your feelings?  Tye Canucks have been a .500 team for a month and I'd like to see more wins before I declare them out of that funk.

I'm sorry that a different opinion is so hard for you to handle

Yes we all know they havent played their best hockey.

The past 2 games though, they do look better dont they? Tighter systems, cleaner play?

We can discount the Wild and the Canes saying they aren't top competition but the problem was, neither was NJD, Flames or the Sharks and we looked pretty bad in all of those games )despite beating cgy)

I think thats reason for optimism.

I'm back to thinking they have a chance to win any night.

It sure didnt look that way just a couple of games ago the way they looked so confused on the ice.

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Yes we all know they havent played their best hockey.

The past 2 games though, they do look better dont they? Tighter systems, cleaner play?

We can discount the Wild and the Canes saying they aren't top competition but the problem was, neither was NJD, Flames or the Sharks and we looked pretty bad in all of those games )despite beating cgy)

I think thats reason for optimism.

I'm back to thinking they have a chance to win any night.

It sure didnt look that way just a couple of games ago the way they looked so confused on the ice.

Definitely reason for optimism, the last two have been the best back to back they've played in a month.  However, I need to see more to declare them out of that trend.