Is Kuzmenko negative value now ?

Blue

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

His attitude seems great about this. We will see if he can be consistent but it sure seems like he's working hard and not whining.

Honestly, besides the fact our media is overly hard and quick to jump on our players, I've seen the same. He always has a smile on his face, and in the past has been very open to input from the team and doing what is asked of him. Hell, the guy's chin got rearranged a few weeks ago and he just laughed it off. I feel he tends to exude a lot of positive energy, and that's the kind of thing you want to ADD to your team - not subtract. Hopefully his goal last night is a sign of a resurgence.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

So, let me get this straight ...

Kuz came in last season, lit it up for 39 goals and 74 points in his first season, and the first sign of adversity or struggle, we're going to trade him? 

Good thing we didn't do that with Boeser, Petey, Hoglander, even Demko last season 

I'm not opposed to any deal that will make this team better, especially given how well we're doing, but I'm glad Rutherford came out yesterday and said they're supporting and working with Kuz to get better. Obviously it paid off last night. That needs to continue.

Sure they're taking calls but ... asking this kid to play differently within a system and then potentially trading him early into his struggles as he tries to adjust is not the right message to send. It's a bad look to other players, imo. Supporting him and giving him a chance is the right thing to do for the team and his value.

2 hours ago, Reznor said:

Honestly, besides the fact our media is overly hard and quick to jump on our players, I've seen the same. He always has a smile on his face, and in the past has been very open to input from the team and doing what is asked of him. Hell, the guy's chin got rearranged a few weeks ago and he just laughed it off. I feel he tends to exude a lot of positive energy, and that's the kind of thing you want to ADD to your team - not subtract. Hopefully his goal last night is a sign of a resurgence.

Lafferty is a nice fit with Petey too... good problem to have. I didn't realize how fast Lafferty really is - 98% percentile in skating speed :classic_ohmy: https://edge.nhl.com/en/skater/8478043

I hope Suter and Kuzy play together on Thursday, I want to see if that clicks. 

On 12/10/2023 at 11:41 PM, King Heffy said:

The problem is the coach is setting him up to fail.  If management won't fire Tocchet, trading Kuz before we have a repeat of the Ballard situation with AV makes sense.

You guys ever read a post without looking at who the poster was, and then after you read it you automatically know who wrote it?

• Vintage 1

9 hours ago, boziffous said:

The one game Kuzmenko was scratched for last season was in November when Boudreau was the head coach. Kuzmenko's ice time last season actually increased a little after Tocchet took over as head coach.

Kuzmenko stats last season with Boudreau as coach

45 games (19g-22a-41p) 16:01 ATOI

Kuzmenko stats last season with Tocchet as coach

36 games (20g-13a-33p) 16:32 ATOI

His atoi is kinda skewed. He have many games under rt under 11-12 mins and then some 20+ a lot more 13 and a few more 18+ but majority his mins were down. Can’t really compare the atoi of boudreau because his mins were low to start the season as he’s a rookie new to the nhl and slowly started to get more and more mins. If u just take his last 2 months under boudreau before he was fired his mins is down. 

16 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

His atoi is kinda skewed. He have many games under rt under 11-12 mins and then some 20+ a lot more 13 and a few more 18+ but majority his mins were down. Can’t really compare the atoi of boudreau because his mins were low to start the season as he’s a rookie new to the nhl and slowly started to get more and more mins. If u just take his last 2 months under boudreau before he was fired his mins is down. 

His average ice time per game was higher under Tocchet than it was under Boudreau. If you're gonna point out that he had more games with low ice time totals than that also means he had more games with very high ice times. Out of the 45 games Kuzmenko played for Boudreau he only had two games where he had 19+ minutes. For Tocchet in 36 games Kuzmenko played 19+ minutes 7 times.

Kuzmenko's average TOI in Boudreau's last two months

December - 16:27

January - 16:35

Kuzmenko's average TOI under Tocchet to finish the season

February - 17:08

March - 16:19

April - 16:35

Looks like similar usage to me.

Edited by boziffous
added more stats

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/end-game-canucks-kuzmenko

Dudes. Another healthy scratch for Kuzy. I get it, but man. The article I posted says it all.

Did anyone notice that PA was at the Preds game yesterday? Other than the Preds game, did he attend the other games on this recent road trip? I ask this 'cuz his presence leads me to believe he's looking at other teams players for possible trades. Maybe for Kuzy?!?!?!??

I know JR hinted that he's safe for now, but certainly didn't commit to answer fully if he'd be on the trade block. Like I mentioned, PA's presence last night got me thinkin'. 

Hmmmmmmmmm.........

So. It's okay, (maybe NOT okay!) to have an offensive d-man with defensive liabilities, (Tyson Barrie, Jake Gardiner.....) but not okay for an offensive forward with defensive liabilities.

I guess in today's faster paced NHL, whether one is a forward or a dman, ya' gotta be able to do both. But as a scoring winger, you're expected to score goals. And on the other side of the coin, offensive dmen are expected to defend.

Suffice it to say, Kuzy's on a slippery slope to be sure. I mean, in RT's NHL anyways.

On 12/10/2023 at 10:41 PM, King Heffy said:

The problem is the coach is setting him up to fail.  If management won't fire Tocchet, trading Kuz before we have a repeat of the Ballard situation with AV makes sense.

Just like how the coach set up Boeser and Garland to fail. We should've traded both Boes and Garly by now.

We don't know what goes on behind closed doors. Maybe we trade Kuzzy maybe we don't but I have faith in this management and coaching group. They have not given us much to complain about. Let's see this play out.