Hunter Brzustewicz | D

PickleCanuck

On 10/21/2023 at 3:46 PM, Blitz-Pix said:
Hunter registered his 20th point of the season today in his 10th game. 

For comparison the WHL and QMJHL scoring leaders (for defenceman) 

WHL: Graham Sward - 9 Games - 15 points 
QMJHL: Tomas Cibulka - 10 Games - 10 Points

Who Are You Strangers GIF by Hotel Transylvania

• Haha 1
  • Cheers 1

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

This kid is going to be my favorite Canucks player one day.  

Woo was my favourite pick, when he was drafted... 

Doesn't look too promising for him although, you never know.

Don't have a favourite now, as don't want to curse any of them.... but man that is some start for the boy.

And how we could do with him and Tom to make it...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

7 hours ago, spook007 said:

Don't have a favourite now, as don't want to curse any of them.... but man that is some start for the boy.

Solve a lot of problems

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, spook007 said:

They're doing so good that I think we only need to look for one RHD to add long term.  

2024-25 

RHD1: Hronek 

RHD2: Acquisition 

RHD3: Myers at 2 mil/year or Friedman 

2025-26 

RHD3: Tom or Hunter 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

They're doing so good that I think we only need to look for one RHD to add long term.  

2024-25 

2025-26 

agree, our D future looks bright, we have a lot of D men with NHL top 4/5 potential 

- wallander

- D Petey

- Bruster

- Hirose

-McWard

thats a future d corps right there, plus huggy and Hronny

now we need another future elite C to grow in behind Miller, I am not sold Raty is the guy, Im hopeful, but see him more as elite 3C at higher end in his prime.

maybe we sign Bedard in 7 years lol 

we have great winger depth and goalie depth in the org, I think actually JR, PA and scouts have done a great job rebuilding a totally bare prospect pool 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, canucks curse said:

agree, our D future looks bright, we have a lot of D men with NHL top 4/5 potential 

- wallander

- D Petey

- Bruster

- Hirose

-McWard

thats a future d corps right there, plus huggy and Hronny

now we need another future elite C to grow in behind Miller, I am not sold Raty is the guy, Im hopeful, but see him more as elite 3C at higher end in his prime.

maybe we sign Bedard in 7 years lol 

we have great winger depth and goalie depth in the org, I think actually JR, PA and scouts have done a great job rebuilding a totally bare prospect pool 

Agreed. This past draft was very solid and fixes a lot of organizational needs if the the 3-4 D we picked land (Wallander,Brzustewicz,Mynio & Celebrini) we are looking in good shape. Just need a few years of development for the D to shore up and join the big club.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

2024-25 

2025-26 

Willander should be a near lock by 2025-26, McAvoy played 2 years of college and went straight to nhl contributor.  

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Willander should be a near lock by 2025-26, McAvoy played 2 years of college and went straight to nhl contributor.  

McAvoy is the absolute ceiling though for Willander.  If he even attains 90% of McAvoy, we're looking at an incredible top of the defensive lineup.  

Now to get back to Hunter, I'm wondering what his comparisons in the NHL would be in terms of playing style? 

I found this on https://dobberprospects.com/player/hunter-brzustewicz/

October 2022 – Brzustewicz is the exact type of player a contending team will rush to the podium to draft in the back end of the first round in the 2023 draft. He is a smooth-skating, intelligent right-shot defenseman who is calm under pressure and should be able to play an NHL role sooner than most other defensemen in the class. While he lacks high-end puck skills, a threatening shot, and aggressive transition defensive habits – such as a tight gap – he does a lot of things very well and simplifies the game, which makes him a valuable diffuser of play under forechecking pressure. His skating ability is what enables him to play this style so effectively. Brzustewicz’s edgework is borderline elite, and his stride mechanics are very good – he moves with real fluidity and purpose – which facilitates evading opposing players. Offensive transition is where he shines brightest. Despite keeping his simple style and rarely going for the hail mary stretch pass or taking the puck end-to-end on his own, he finds the best simple plays to gain zone entries, and he does so extremely effectively and subtly. Brzustewicz also has untapped offensive potential, which is starting to make itself clear with seven assists through six games on a struggling Kitchener Rangers team. He will likely never become a first-pairing NHLer, but a ceiling as a dependable second-pairing guy who progresses play very effectively in transition and has some playmaking flashes at even strength is certainly there. Sebastian High

Kevin Bieksa without the fighting ability?  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

2024-25 

2025-26 

I think we will be re-signing Bear in the short term.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

McAvoy is the absolute ceiling though for Willander.  If he even attains 90% of McAvoy, we're looking at an incredible top of the defensive lineup.  

Now to get back to Hunter, I'm wondering what his comparisons in the NHL would be in terms of playing style? 

I found this on https://dobberprospects.com/player/hunter-brzustewicz/

October 2022 – Brzustewicz is the exact type of player a contending team will rush to the podium to draft in the back end of the first round in the 2023 draft. He is a smooth-skating, intelligent right-shot defenseman who is calm under pressure and should be able to play an NHL role sooner than most other defensemen in the class. While he lacks high-end puck skills, a threatening shot, and aggressive transition defensive habits – such as a tight gap – he does a lot of things very well and simplifies the game, which makes him a valuable diffuser of play under forechecking pressure. His skating ability is what enables him to play this style so effectively. Brzustewicz’s edgework is borderline elite, and his stride mechanics are very good – he moves with real fluidity and purpose – which facilitates evading opposing players. Offensive transition is where he shines brightest. Despite keeping his simple style and rarely going for the hail mary stretch pass or taking the puck end-to-end on his own, he finds the best simple plays to gain zone entries, and he does so extremely effectively and subtly. Brzustewicz also has untapped offensive potential, which is starting to make itself clear with seven assists through six games on a struggling Kitchener Rangers team. He will likely never become a first-pairing NHLer, but a ceiling as a dependable second-pairing guy who progresses play very effectively in transition and has some playmaking flashes at even strength is certainly there. Sebastian High

Kevin Bieksa without the fighting ability?  

At the moment I'm thinking maybe a right-handed Vince Dunn for style comparison. Would certainly be a nice player to have.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Great to see this kid off to a flyer. I thought he looked great in Young Stars - every bit as good at both ends of the ice as the prospect with 3+ years and NHL experience. 

I'm hopefully we are finally gonna see a D play from outside the first round make the team as a regular in the next couple of years. 

• Like 1

We now have some very interesting D prospects - especially on the right side. The reason you have to stock up on D prospects is because they often take a longer time to develop. Thankfully, we are developing some depth in D prospects. Add that to the quality of development happening in Abby, and it is becoming a real strength in the organization.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Hunter Brzustewicz with an assist on Kitchener's 6th goal of the game.

With the assist, Hunter extends his points streak to 10 games. 

Kitchener up 6-1 in the 3rd. 

Kitchener looks unreal...  they've been dominating.