Hunter Brzustewicz | D

PickleCanuck

7 hours ago, Gurn said:

Fogarty's fall, had nothing to do with his skill, talent or playing ability.

Sadly he had an addiction issue, and also really just wanted to be 'one of the guys' and not 'The best D man since Bobby Orr' as he was hyped.

With out the booze he would have been an ALL time great.

I remember watching him play. He could skate like Bobby Orr. Had a great shot too. When he got drafted by Quebec and then got 155 points in junior, I thought to myself. Holy smokes. He’s gonna play with Sakic. And then Forsberg came along too. 

Unfortunately, it was too late. He was already an alcoholic. And he was done before we could see his talent unfold. 

• Sad 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

So there must be some glaring weakness to his game (size, skating, IQ?) that prevented him from going higher in the draft. In this day and age of scouting and use of data there must be a reason he was passed on by the other teams. Curious to know what that weakness is...

4 hours ago, banksy91 said:

So there must be some glaring weakness to his game (size, skating, IQ?) that prevented him from going higher in the draft. In this day and age of scouting and use of data there must be a reason he was passed on by the other teams. Curious to know what that weakness is...

From what I recall he was slated to be a possible late 1st early second. The nock on him was he did nothing flashy. Was not elite in any sense. But apparently he’s improved over the summer and has taken a step In the right development direction. It’s great to see. 

3 hours ago, banksy91 said:

I mean he’s still a top 80 player from his draft year in the entire world. That’s a pretty good player regardless.

Very hard to project what players will be at 18 years old. We see scouts get it wrong all the time. It’s why some GMs have been pushing to move the draft age to 19.

Imagine where he would have gone if he was drafted next year? 😮

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, banksy91 said:

There is always a lot of uncertainty with D men. You may not see them till four or five years after they a drafted. The big thing is: can they learn to play NHL level defense.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, banksy91 said:

Adam Fox was drafted in the 3rd round.  Probably the scouts thought that he didn't do anything particularly well.  Looks like they got it wrong on Fox.  And now they got it wrong on Hunter too...

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 1

8 hours ago, SISMIM said:

Yeah, I think he was generally seen as a 2nd round talent, with maybe a couple services putting him in the late first round.

Not sure why he fell, but glad the Canucks took advantage of the opportunity. Seemed like a “steal” at the time, and now only more so.

I think you’re right about the scouts not seeing any standout talent or elite abilities in his overall skillset. Lots of above average, but nothing really “special.”

He’s adequate sized but not “big.” Good skater but not super “fast.” His shot isn’t particularly dangerous. And his defence was sorta mid. Playmaking and transition were definitely seen as high end, however by most scouts. Projected as 2nd or 3rd pair defender.

His untraditional route (USNTDP to OHL) probably didn’t do him many favours either, when it comes to some rankings. Just in the sense of the eyeballs that were actually watching him. Being in two very different scouting regions for his D-1 (USNTDP) and D (OHL) years meant that he’d sorta get caught between two different groups of scouts, and possibly end up sliding a bit down the lists for both, as a consequence.

Well said. I fully agree it did him no favours. But definitely did us a favour. Fingers crossed he keeps this up ! 

23 hours ago, SISMIM said:

Yeah, I think he was generally seen as a 2nd round talent, with maybe a couple services putting him in the late first round.

Not sure why he fell, but glad the Canucks took advantage of the opportunity. Seemed like a “steal” at the time, and now only more so.

I think you’re right about the scouts not seeing any standout talent or elite abilities in his overall skillset. Lots of above average, but nothing really “special.”

He’s adequate sized but not “big.” Good skater but not super “fast.” His shot isn’t particularly dangerous. And his defence was sorta mid. Playmaking and transition were definitely seen as high end, however by most scouts. Projected as 2nd or 3rd pair defender.

His untraditional route (USNTDP to OHL) probably didn’t do him many favours either, when it comes to some rankings. Just in the sense of the eyeballs that were actually watching him. Being in two very different scouting regions for his D-1 (USNTDP) and D (OHL) years meant that he’d sorta get caught between two different groups of scouts, and possibly end up sliding a bit down the lists for both, as a consequence.

I think there was also a heavy forward bias last draft that contributed to him dropping. All year we were hearing about how good the forwards in the draft were and that the defensemen were maybe a bit underwhelming. As a result I think that a number of defensemen who in most years would have gone in the 1st round slid. I don't think the defensemen were actually underwhelming, it's just that the forward crop was so good. For example, Arttu Karki, who is second in OHL scoring among defensemen, was also a 3rd round pick as was Caden Price who is over 1PPG in the WHL.

I fully expect Brzustewicz's PPG to drop a little bit as the season progresses (the way Kitchener is scoring is insane right now), but it's incredible to watch. I love having prospects to cheer for.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

I think there was also a heavy forward bias last draft that contributed to him dropping. All year we were hearing about how good the forwards in the draft were and that the defensemen were maybe a bit underwhelming. As a result I think that a number of defensemen who in most years would have gone in the 1st round slid. I don't think the defensemen were actually underwhelming, it's just that the forward crop was so good. For example, Arttu Karki, who is second in OHL scoring among defensemen, was also a 3rd round pick as was Caden Price who is over 1PPG in the WHL.

I fully expect Brzustewicz's PPG to drop a little bit as the season progresses (the way Kitchener is scoring is insane right now), but it's incredible to watch. I love having prospects to cheer for.

I kinda remember the draft being top heavy with forwards as well. So that could explain a lot.

Oddly enough we had the chance to draft Artuu Karki with our 2nd pick in the 3rd round...we took Sawyer Mynio with the 89th selection.  Artuu was drafted 7 spots later by Vegas. Imagine if they had drafted Karki...you'd have the 1st, 2nd, & 3rd leading scorers in the OHL. LOL 

I'm not disappointed with drafting Sawyer Mynio just pointing out a fun stat, 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Looking good!

So, still early, but where does this kid go in a redraft?

Offense isn't everything, but watching his highlights, if he can be dependable in his own zone, he has instincts and vision that you can't teach. You either have it or you don't.

• Cheers 1

On 10/30/2023 at 1:22 PM, SISMIM said:

Didn't he miss an entire year due to Covid? I also seem to recall hearing of an injury that set him back. 

I could be wrong on all of this. Someone fact check me. 

39 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

Didn't he miss an entire year due to Covid? I also seem to recall hearing of an injury that set him back. 

I could be wrong on all of this. Someone fact check me. 

There was a shoulder injury which I believe led to him losing his top powerplay spot with the USNTDP to Lane Hutson. The athletic article about him discusses it.

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Chronic.Canuck said:

There was a shoulder injury which I believe led to him losing his top powerplay spot with the USNTDP to Lane Hutson. The athletic article about him discusses it.

Here's the article you're referring to.  He had to fight his way back from that shoulder injury

and most thought that he could never become the offensive player he once was.  He

dedicated himself to working on the defensive aspects of the game and decided to

play for Kitchener, rather than go the College route.  Now it seems he has found his defensive

game and is becoming the 'special player' everyone thought he would be (before the injury).

To pick this kid up in the 3rd round is incredible.

https://theathletic.com/4697153/2023/08/03/canucks-prospect-hunter-brzustewicz/?amp=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Stierlitz said:

Interesting that Hunter is eligible to play in the AHL next year.

From Canucks Army article today:

"While it’s not time to rush into NHL expectations just yet, he will be eligible to play AHL games next year, despite being only 19.

Since he’s played two years with the US National program, he is considered to have played four years of Junior hockey at the end of this season, thus, giving him the green light to make the jump".

That would be amazing if he did. He already looks like he's "out his league" playing in the OHL. 

On 10/29/2023 at 5:34 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

I remember watching him play. He could skate like Bobby Orr. Had a great shot too. When he got drafted by Quebec and then got 155 points in junior, I thought to myself. Holy smokes. He’s gonna play with Sakic. And then Forsberg came along too. 

Unfortunately, it was too late. He was already an alcoholic. And he was done before we could see his talent unfold. 

Yeah, it was really a sad thing to see that talent wasted. He wasn’t the only player to be derailed by his choices in entertainment.

• Huggy Bear 1

On 10/30/2023 at 7:49 AM, banksy91 said:

There was a lot of interesting prospects taken ahead of him. In junior there are lots of young D that rack up stacks of points. Because of the style of play and sometimes because of the style the team wants the player to play, defensive play can not get addressed like it should. What impressed my about Hunter was how well he adjusted in the preseason to the higher level of play.