Hunter Brzustewicz | D

19 minutes ago, AK-19 said:

I mean I'm not sure what your definition for dominance is but he's in the top 3 in points for ALL players and has 10 more points than the 2nd place dman. Assuming he's like this for the rest of the season, he needs to move to a league where he's challenged more. It's exciting that next year's AHL team's d-core may look like this:

Wolanin             McWard

Hirose                Willander

Pettersson         Hunter

Johanssen        Woo

Even if hypothetically he's not good enough for AHL (although I would be surprised), he'd still have the ECHL to go to which I would still consider a step-up on the CHL and at the very least be challenged more physically. The way our D is looking next year, Hunter should have a clear spot with the PP at the very least. 

My definition of "dominance" is probably the same as yours.

The wording in that sentence was to allow for a non-linear progression in his play and subsequent points accumulation. He may slow down but could still have a dominant year. No attempt to discredit his success this early in the season was intended.

I agree with your post. He is playing very well and may well be ready for a promotion to the pro ranks next year, whether that be the AHL, the ECHL or an European league.

Would be good to get him signed and then have our Player Development people consult with him and his advisors and then come up with a game plan for his further  development.

On 11/11/2023 at 12:01 PM, spook007 said:

How is his defensive play?

Last time there was this much excitement about an offensive Dman not named Hughes  was Jack Rathbone.... I just hope, he is a better defender than Jack.

I was thinking Gustav Forsling after his World Juniors performance...everyone thought he was a steal when we picked him and what does Benning do? He trades him away for Adam Clendenning!

• Cheers 2

27 minutes ago, Viking said:

I was thinking Gustav Forsling after his World Juniors performance...everyone thought he was a steal when we picked him and what does Benning do? He trades him away for Adam Clendenning!

Yeah let just hope, this doesn't happen again. So much to like and look forward to amongst our prospects. 

2 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Based on what we've seen up till this point, our management group has been pretty savvy. 

I can't see them throwing away high end prospects, or draft picks, like their predecessor. And really, at this point, we're not in a desperate situation where we even have to. 

That is, unless, the return was a major player, a difference maker.  

I personally would like to see what we have with Brzustewicz. He looks like a keeper. 

Yes all very true. 

Fact is everything in any club is for sale, if the price is right, as you say... If a difference maker becomes available, that management thinks, would turn the team into a contender, you bever know, but I doubt there is much of a need to let promissing prospects go. Especially rhd's that are so hard to get in the first place. They are like gold.  

PS. Still amazed how we got Hronek. 

Edited by spook007
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

Yes all very true. 

Fact is everything in any club is for sale, if the price is right, as you say... If a difference maker becomes available, that management thinks, would turn the team into a contender, you bever know, but I doubt there is much of a need to let promissing prospects go. Especially rhd's that are so hard to get in the first place. They are like gold.  

PS. Still amazed how we got Hronek. 

Try telling that to some! 😆

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Barn Burner said:

Based on what we've seen up till this point, our management group has been pretty savvy. 

I can't see them throwing away high end prospects, or draft picks, like their predecessor. And really, at this point, we're not in a desperate situation where we even have to. 

That is, unless, the return was a major player, a difference maker.  

I personally would like to see what we have with Brzustewicz. He looks like a keeper. 

Piggy backing on your point about management being savvy. 

This year isn't the year to give up valuable assets but it could come as soon as next year and I do think management sees it that way as well. They'll be much closer to "their team" come the start of next season. 

In my mind, Brzustewicz is gonna play. I think he's as close to a sure bet, a 3rd rounder could be to end up in the NHL. I'm hoping he's not one of the first prospects out of the door. Saying that, any player is moveable if the deal is right. 

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

This year isn't the year to give up valuable assets but it could come as soon as next year and I do think management sees it that way as well. They'll be much closer to "their team" come the start of next season. 

In my mind, Brzustewicz is gonna play. I think he's as close to a sure bet, a 3rd rounder could be to end up in the NHL. I'm hoping he's not one of the first prospects out of the door. Saying that, any player is moveable if the deal is right. 

True. But I'd like to give this kid a chance. And he's a RD, ta boot! 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 3

44 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

True. But I'd like to give this kid a chance. And he's a RD, ta boot! 

There is a major push now to focus on internally produced talent. No way we trade him. Even hypothetically. This management group sees the long game well. Talent like this you don’t trade away.

Plus RD are so hard to obtain, high quality ones. Like you say. The fact he can play in the AHL next year at 19 will be huge for his development. He already seems too good for the OHL right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, filthy animal said:

Like spring 2024?

In Spring 2024 he can join the AHL when his OHL season is done. However, he can start the 2024-25 season in the AHL.

Even though Brzustewicz's actually age is 18 and 19 this season, due to being born in 2004 this counts as his aged 19/20 season in the OHL. As such, next season he would be considered an overage player in the OHL if he were to return as it would be considered his 20/21 aged season. Since he turns 20 in the year 2024 he can start the 2024/25 season in the AHL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

I agree that we shouldn't give up any blue chip prospects that we already have (Lekerimakki, D-Petey, Silovs, Hunter, and Willander), however I am fine with shipping out the 2024 1st rounder if it gets us a top 4 RHD. 

I also don't care if they do it in season or wait until the summer. 

Hunter and Willander are both two or three years away and we should count on one of them making it, not both, and especially not both at the same time. 

• Vintage 2

<iframe src="https://www.eliteprospects.com/iframe_player_stats.php?player=526088" width="100%" height="385" scrolling="no" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I'm testing embedding Elite Prospects link for Hunter. Let's see if this works, if not, will reach out to @Ribs as it should work from what I'm reading...

Okay, this should be working but doesn't seem to be....might be an internal setting. Worst case, it could be created on a separate page and just linked so that anyone who wants to see them could just see everyone as a snapshot, up to the minute.

Edited by VegasCanuck

30 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

I believe someone on here posted that Hunter is eligible for the AHL next year because of having played in the US development league? 

He'll be too good for the OHL, and playing against men would be the best thing for him. 

When graduating players from chl I wish there was more of a mlb development system where players don't need to sink or swim in all as that jump is such a big one.

1 minute ago, flat land fish said:

When graduating players from chl I wish there was more of a mlb development system where players don't need to sink or swim in all as that jump is such a big one.

He'll be fine. They have great coaches in Abby. 

It will be a great experience for him. 

• Upvote 1