Hunter Brzustewicz | D

8 minutes ago, kettlevalley said:

For you I will add Subban to my list.  I didn't for the recency bias. 

PK Subban was a fantastic player. If HB reaches that kind of level that would be way beyond great for us. 
HB is just one of many picks by this new regime that shows what happens when a good scouting staff is given good directions and then encouraged to make their best choices. 

• Like 1

Just now, Alflives said:

PK Subban was a fantastic player. If HB reaches that kind of level that would be way beyond great for us. 
HB is just one of many picks by this new regime that shows what happens when a good scouting staff is given good directions and then encouraged to make their best choices. 

Maybe you haven't been around as much as I thought.  Lol.  The canuck property was Jordan.  Lol.  36 points for Utica at 20 and 21. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, kettlevalley said:

Maybe you haven't been around as much as I thought.  Lol.  The canuck property was Jordan.  Lol.  36 points for Utica at 20 and 21. 

Oh. The little feller. Not a comparable to HB. Again we have a new regime that allows their scouts the choices of who we pick. Makes a huge difference to the prospects than the previous regime’s methodology. 

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Oh. The little feller. Not a comparable to HB. Again we have a new regime that allows their scouts the choices of who we pick. Makes a huge difference to the prospects than the previous regime’s methodology. 

We will see.  I am watching to see how all this plays out.  

On 11/18/2023 at 2:37 PM, Bob Long said:

That's always the risk in the CHL. That's why I don't get excited until CHL prospects are able to play in the AHL. So many "sure things" that aren't.

Especially when they're overagers. Great to see him suceeding, but I'll get more excited when he does it against older players.

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Barn Burner said:

He just turned 19? 

Sounds right. Older than a lot of CHL players. I don't expect him to dominate 25 year olds, but that's the level he'll eventually need to get to in order to make the NHL, so I'm eager to see him rise to the challenge.

1 minute ago, -AJ- said:

Sounds right. Older than a lot of CHL players. I don't expect him to dominate 25 year olds, but that's the level he'll eventually need to get to in order to make the NHL, so I'm eager to see him rise to the challenge.

Most are 17-18. Just turning 19 is NOT an overager. 

If he just turned 20, that would be a different story. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Barn Burner said:

Most are 17-18. Just turning 19 is NOT an overager. 

If he just turned 20, that would be a different story. 

IMO 19 is a huge difference from 17 or 18. One year makes a big difference at that age.

42 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Especially when they're overagers. Great to see him suceeding, but I'll get more excited when he does it against older players.

people kind of react like I want him to fail or something, which is furthest from the truth. I'm just cautious when it comes to CHL kids in particular. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

IMO 19 is a huge difference from 17 or 18. One year makes a big difference at that age.

Just turning 19 is NOT a huge difference. It's a matter of one day from being 18. 

Anyway, you and Bob Long's concerns are what? This is true about any prospect, playing against men. 

So far, the kid's playing really well. Let's hope he continues and brings it to the next level. 

Edit: I just checked. He turns 19 on November 29, 2023. 

Edited by Barn Burner

Just now, Barn Burner said:

Just turning 19 is NOT a huge difference. It's a matter of one day from being 18. 

Anyway, you and Bob Long's concerns are what? This is true about any prospect, playing against men. 

So far, the kid's playing really well. Let's hope he continues and brings it to the next level. 

I'm not concerned at all, I'm just tempering my optimism with caution. I've gone through too much excitement with Rathbone, Subban, Shinkaruk, etc. to expect so much of Brzustewicz already. I love that he's doing well so far--he's doing all that he can do in his situation right now. It's just not enough for me to lock him into being a solid NHL guy.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Agreed with eveything @-AJ- just wrote, plus the fact that sometimes guys abilities can be really amplified in the CHL, vs other leagues like the SHL or KHL. Its a bit more like college where a little skill on the right team can look exceptional. Hi Gaudette. 

So just caution when it comes to this league, for me. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

Agreed with eveything @-AJ- just wrote, plus the fact that sometimes guys abilities can be really amplified in the CHL, vs other leagues like the SHL or KHL. Its a bit more like college where a little skill on the right team can look exceptional. Hi Gaudette. 

So just caution when it comes to this league, for me. 

Hi anyone. 

Anyway, I just checked and the kid doesn't turn 19 until November 29, 2023. 

He's still only 18 and he's producing amazingly well. 

18 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Hi anyone. 

Yeah, I don't think its fair to call an 18 year old kid an overager either. For an 18 year old Dman to dominate his league is extremely impressive. I'm going to stay cautiously exited about this kid.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Hi anyone. 

Its a personal opinion about the CHL its not personal to the player or your thoughts. For me the CHL is the riskiest league for prospects.

Edited by Bob Long

13 minutes ago, WeneedLumme said:

Yeah, I don't think its fair to call an 18 year old kid an overager either. For an 18 year old Dman to dominate his league is extremely impressive. I'm going to stay cautiously exited about this kid.

I agree. And when I looked up his age, I noticed the average age of each team in the OHL is between 19.23 and 18.62 years old. A difference of a half a year? 

Sure, the kid's an overager? 

Tempering expectations is one thing, but geez, find a better argument and also, show some support for our prospects. 

He's doing amazing. Let's hope it continues. 

• Cheers 1

His offensive stats for his draft year were excellent.  Based on his size it's unlikely that he's simply physically dominating and as one poster said pretty average age for the league.  If he can score like that and defend well plenty to be excited about.  Could create a healthy rivalry with wilander in terms of internal competition for who plays ahl first, who gets key minutes sooner and eventually who gets first look in the league.

• Cheers 1

The notion that his age reflects on how well he is doing is questionable; perhaps only if he's at least

6 months older or more.

Just out of interest, I had some time on my hands, so I combed through the picks that were

selected before Hunter.

I decided to only look at players in the Canadian Jr circuit, as I don't think Jr leagues in other

countries are as competitive.  I didn't bother with any of the adult leagues.

F Danielson, F Yager, F Barlow, D Bonk, D Molendyk, F Ritchie, F Myatovic, F Gauthier, F Cristall,

D Gibson, F Lind, F Rehkopf, D Akey, F Sawchyn, F Pitre 

All of these players are within 0-3 months older than Hunter and were higher pics in the 2023 draft.

Only 2Fs are performing better.  One expects that F will get more points that a D, but that isn't the

case with Hunter's draft.

The only thing this proves, is that Hunter's value would be much higher in a redraft.  There's

no way of knowing how he will transition into the higher levels of hockey, but he is sure looking

promising; especially if you consider the rough journey he has had getting to where he is now.

I don't see the comparisons with Rathbone, Subban, Rafferty and others that only

learned to play offence.  After his serious shoulder injury and rehab, Hunter found he could

no longer play his offensive game.  Instead, he focussed on learning the defensive game and

played as the shutdown guy.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3