Hunter Brzustewicz | D

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

I'm not concerned at all, I'm just tempering my optimism with caution. I've gone through too much excitement with Rathbone, Subban, Shinkaruk, etc. to expect so much of Brzustewicz already. I love that he's doing well so far--he's doing all that he can do in his situation right now. It's just not enough for me to lock him into being a solid NHL guy.

He's scoring the Stanley Cup winner this June from QH and Lekkerimaki. Calling it here first. :towel:

Too much? 🤭

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1
  • ThereItIs 1

17 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Great. Looking forward to seeing him in Abby.

A lot of the assists shown on this site were 2nd assists were he really didn't contribute much and his teammates made nice passes and moves to score.

Not that I'm not really high on Hunter Brzustewicz, I am, he's great but it is a lot easier to put up points when you have great teammates.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Caught the game last night and he really impresses when he's on the ice. Great mobility and vision he's always looking to make a play. IMO it would be great to see him push himself at another level. I'd like to see him in the NCAA next year and see where he stacks up there. He reminds me of Cale Makar which is high praise to be sure. 

A big question for me is, in a few years, assuming he and Willander continue to develop on their current pace, could you have a right side of Hronek, Willander and HB? They would be quite undersized but insanely mobile.

you can temper your expectations all you want but the level he's producing as a 18 year old D+1, 2nd OHL season, is unprecedented. 

He has a higher pace than Ellis 101 point season and closing in on Brandt Clarke's 1.96 ppg season. One caveat about those two players is that they scored at an extremely high pace in their 3rd/4th full OHL season. 

Even Carson Rephkof is in his 3rd full OHL season. 

Hunter right now is in an extremely rare position and even more amazing is that he's a right-handed defenceman. 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

Expectations tempered or not, stacked team or not, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being excited about this kid's progress so far. I also have a hard time seeing his production fully being the result of his team. Seems more like he'd be one of the ones leading the push more than anything.

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Expectations tempered or not, stacked team or not, there's absolutely nothing wrong with being excited about this kid's progress so far. I also have a hard time seeing his production fully being the result of his team. Seems more like he'd be one of the ones leading the push more than anything.

Correct. I wouldn't get too excited until he is Quinning. 

You can tell a few things about the team potentially dragging him along vs him dragging the team along by looking at team stats.  

1.  He is second in team points so obviously a team offensive driver.

2.  He is more then triple the next d man on his team in points (currently 39 to 12).  

3. He is third on his team in d man plus minus.  Implying that he plays a lot more PP and is getting a lot of PP points.  

This is a puck moving d man with PP quarterback skills, a decent shot, decent size and good skating.  Like Quinn this year, he is on pace for a very impressive season.  

Now we get to sit back and see if they can keep it up.  

The Rangers are an interesting team to determine why they are #1 in the OHL.  Pedigree wise,

they only have a 1st (26)Mesar and a 2nd (50)Rehkopf; with the bulk of the players being late

picks or undrafted.

What they do have is a team with the top 10 filled with 19-20yr olds. They probably have great

coaching as well.  I would think that these two factors would be a tremendous environment for

Hunter's development.

In comparison, the 2nd team in the division is the London Knights, who have a younger top 10

filled with 17-18yr olds; including two 1st and one 2nd (Bonk RD).  LKs have 27pts to KRs 34

and 81 GFs to KR's 116.

It clearly is an advantage for Hunter to play on a high scoring team, but it indicates that he

has the offensive acumen to hang with the team's top line F line.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 11/21/2023 at 2:13 PM, -AJ- said:

IMO 19 is a huge difference from 17 or 18. One year makes a big difference at that age.

He doesn't turn 19 until next week and if he was able to do it at 18 before turning 19, that is impressive.  That is how we should look at it then enjoy his progression even further at 19.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 11/29/2023 at 8:43 AM, Neerlynormal said:

So today is the day that Hunter goes from being the 2023 entry draft poster boy,to being a pretty good over-ager? It's today he turns 19,yes? So I have to start adding a little more salt to his stats now...

Am I doing this right?

An overage player is 20 years old or older not 19…

The CHL currently places a cap of three 20-year-old-or-over players per team, commonly known as "overage players". The CHL also allows up to four 16-year-olds on each roster.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

An overage player is 20 years old or older not 19

The CHL currently places a cap of three 20-year-old-or-over players per team, commonly known as "overage players". The CHL also allows up to four 16-year-olds on each roster.

We know that. The post you were responding to was a facetious response to a post a few pages back where someone called him an overager because he was a few months older than the midpoint of his draft class.

Edited by WeneedLumme
  • Thanks 2