Hunter Brzustewicz | D

On 12/2/2023 at 9:43 AM, Alflives said:

Hunter B will be playing for Abby next season. Zero reason for him to play another year in junior. Kid is a brilliant player and another steal by Allvin’s scouting staff. Kind of cool what happens when the scouts are freed up to do their jobs; we fill up with good prospects. 

this is what I want to see, then we'll now what we have. 

I guess first Allvin has to get him inked. I wonder if the performance bonuses would be a sticking point? 

Edited by Bob Long

28 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

It's another way to say "We don't like guys who bolt for the CHL".  It's why Quentin Musty also wasn't called.  Politics in USA Hockey.

The rapid growth of their national development program across the country makes Hockey Canada look like absolute cupcakes (which they really are after all the scandals), but those guys in charge of team selection are turkeys.  Instead of picking the best players for the Olympics, they always deploy some kind of deliberate, underdog team of grinders.  Some of their snubs would've even made Team Canada.

Their forward group is pretty strong to be fair. I generally think that politics does exist but this team USA is really strong.

McGroarty - Gauthier - Nazar

Perreault - Smith - Leonard

Hagens/Howard - Moore - Snuggerud

Musty is an offensive player that needs an offensive role, tough competition. Same goes for Cole Eiserman who didn't get an invite (surprisingly imo) but is an NTDP guy through & through.

Same thing with the Hunter on the backend. Hutson, Buium, Casey, Chesley are locks.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

21 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I guess first Allvin has to get him inked. I wonder if the performance bonuses would be a sticking point? 

I don't think he is old enough.  He is a November baby and still only 19 years old.  Only has two years CHL experience.  He... can't report to Abby next September, can he?

4 minutes ago, Miss Korea said:

I don't think he is old enough.  He is a November baby and still only 19 years old.  Only has two years CHL experience.  He... can't report to Abby next September, can he?

The CHL agreement operates on the calendar year unlike the draft. So he will be AHL eligible next season. A good way to think about it is if the player is too old for the WJC then they can go to the AHL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I thought he could? Maybe someone can confirm 

Players drafted and playing for CHL teams are ineligible to play in the professional minor leagues (AHL, ECHL) until they are 20 years old (by December 31st of that year) or have completed four years in major juniors.

so yes he can

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Sounds like they already had their squad set quite early and were not willing to make additions.

i mean USA is known to prioritize player in the NCAA for juniors so really it's no surprise.. and realistically as good as hunter's season been going.. i doubt he makes the team anyways.. 

6 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Yeah, I've pondered this, "Why has he not been signed yet"? He will probably max out on salary, so it's not that. Bonuses, maybe, but I think he might max out on those too.

My guess and it's only a wild guess on my part, is that he will wait until after December 31st to sign. This would prevent his ELC from sliding with a year in the AHL (and less than 10 NHL games played). The slide, if it were to happen, would keep him on a team friendly ELC for an extra year. Probably not a desirable thing for Brzustewizc and his agent.

No inside information on my part, just supposition, but it is the one reason that makes sense to me.

Also, as other posters have stated, with his late November birth date, he will turn 20 years old next season prior to the end of the calendar year. Thus technically able to begin the year in Abbotsford as a 19 year old.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Wiggums said:

Really wanted to see how he stacked up against the elite.  Damm

I also like seeing as many of our prospects playing in this world junior tourney as possible. The more prospects playing the better. Often the only chance that I get to see them for any extended playing time against their peers.

Unfortunate for Brzustewizc, as a 2004 born player, this is his last year of eligibility to play in the World under 20 Junior Tournament. He will have aged out for next year's tournament. A player has to be under 20 as of December 31st to be eligible to play in that year's tournament. 

1 hour ago, Artemus said:

Yeah, I've pondered this, "Why has he not been signed yet"? He will probably max out on salary, so it's not that. Bonuses, maybe, but I think he might max out on those too.

My guess and it's only a wild guess on my part, is that he will wait until after December 31st to sign. This would prevent his ELC from sliding with a year in the AHL (and less than 10 NHL games played). The slide, if it were to happen, would keep him on a team friendly ELC for an extra year. Probably not a desirable thing for Brzustewizc and his agent.

No inside information on my part, just supposition, but it is the one reason that makes sense to me.

Also, as other posters have stated, with his late November birth date, he will turn 20 years old next season prior to the end of the calendar year. Thus technically able to begin the year in Abbotsford as a 19 year old.

Makes a lot of sense 

• Cheers 1

Maybe this will make him love our Canadian market more..

OHL Values him.

Canucks Value him.

TEAM USA and all the teams from late first round and 2nd round that passed him before us dont.

Might endear him to us even more and motivate him to prove em all wrong.

Ima bet on this kid.

• Cheers 1

On 10/19/2023 at 9:34 AM, Blitz-Pix said:

Keeping up his current pace might be asking a little much, he's averaging 2 points a game. His team (Kitchener) is blowing teams outta the water right now, I believe they are averaging over 6 goals a game. He'll get his points and probably a lot of PPP so the offense should take care of itself. I just hope he's working as hard on his defensive game. 

With Willander, Brzustewicz and Kurdrayvtsev in the pipeline, the future right side of the Vancouver defence looks VERY promising. 

don't forget pettersson. thats 2 lefts and 2  rights. and you thought i couldn't count.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1