Hunter Brzustewicz | D

Not only is he leading the OHL in assists (42) by 13, he's 12 points ahead of the next defenseman right now (48 to 36).

I also took a look at all time OHL defenseman scoring, he's 24th all time for players with over 100 points. The one thing I'll mention is he's scoring less goals than the rest of the players on the list but he's way up there for assists/GP.

https://www.quanthockey.com/ohl/en/records/ohl-defensemen-all-time-points-per-game-leaders.html

Anyways, it'll be interesting to see if he turns pro and goes to the AHL next season as I don't think another season of junior is going to benefit him.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Jim Tim said:

Fogarty was no slouch either early in his career. Big things coming for Brewstevich

Fogarty would have been incredible, but the booze got to him; that and the pressure to be the 'superstar'.

He just wanted to be one of the guys, and have fun.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jim Tim said:

Fogarty was no slouch either early in his career. Big things coming for Brewstevich

Fogarty had 117 points in 104 games in his draft year and following season.  

Hunter has 112 points in 102 games in the same span. 

Fogarty did go ballistic in his d+2 season as a 20 year old with 155 points in 60 games. 

22 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Don't really care about which country, but it's the fact he was snubbed that's the issue.  The guy is a serious elite talent among his peers.

Couple thoughts.  Only 3 American players on the WJC roster are playing junior in Canada.  Every other player is coming from the NCAA.

Lane Hutson is a pure offensive talented D.  Is Brusy seen as a Lane light? Do they want size and grit and defensive ability rather than another offensive D?

I remember playing in a golf tournament with a guy who was coaching NCAA hockey in Minnesota.  I asked him what he thought of major junior in Canada.  He said it was a joke and his team would mop up the ice with them. That attitude stuck with me.

NCAA players are much older and more developed and their programs have a lot of money.  Major junior in Canada has younger players and less money.

So in the eyes of the Americans - they want guys coming out of the NCAA.

i think that probably weighed into the decision.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1