Hunter Brzustewicz | D

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Interesting.... I don't see why age is a factor, if someone has a learning and innovation mind set they usually have that for life. 

I just think we're lucky to have a competent group. Still feels weird.

I would think, its hard to learn an old dog new tricks... especially if the original trick worked?

Absolutely nothing untoward JR, but he was not brought to Vancouver change his way of thinking.

He was brought in to win, and he has done that 3 times, so I'd suggest he would stay close to the tried and tested.

He together with Allvin has been a revelation in the way the rebuilt the front office as well as the team... yes it is amazing to have a competent group leading the way... It just seems strange how much thing have changed in this short space of time..

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

8 hours ago, spook007 said:

Hmmm.... modern and different approach...

JR is 74, so he definitely still has the old school approach. Tocchet is an old school coach, who wants his players to hard hockey...

So I suggest it's a mix. 

Where we definitely can see a difference, is the front office approach under Allvin, which has been nothing short of refreshingly amazing.

But they are also very tough in their way of handling things. The way they shipped out Bo, showed they have old school ruthlessness in them as well.

If somebody doesn't fit their plans or tow the line, they will be gone before they know it....

It isn't about age; it's about adapting to the changes in hockey.  JR is surely old school, but he

knows that the complete package of that era, will never fit into the current environment.  He

put a frontman out there (Alvin), who can smooth out his rough edges and add a more

modern approach. 

The same goes for Tocchet, but he has adapted a coaching style that fits very well to the

current game.  That is why he can engage his players so well.  He looks at his players as

individuals and (imo) his mission to help them play their best hockey, is genuine.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Old school/neanderthal has a tendency to bully players into obedience.

The kind of moronic coaching culture at Utica wich Benning and Green supported.

Backcocks psychopathy that people tend to have a blindfold to because of the results he got from bullying players.

That won’t happen with Allvin irrelevant what you call Tocchet of JR.

Tocchet coaching is modern, not neanderthal. You can be modern and tough so toughness and tough decisions has nothing to do with old school/neanderthal to do. 

JR is modern and probably a reason why he has been successful earlier.

The modern approach to leading a company started in the seventies and caught wind in the eighties so that the old school lives in murky places today is due to corruption where you fool people to believe in the corruption.

Please enlighten me what is so different between Greens and Tocchets coaching? I actually think Green was very much a players guy, and the style of hockey he wanted to be played, looked a lot like the coaching of Tocchet. 

Babcock has nothing to do with the Canucks, and find it distasteful you bring him into our universe... He was/is an idiot.

As for modern approach of leading companies, I'm old enough to know how this works and started. 

The company I worked for for 28 years were one of the first to change the tone from Sir to you and first name instead of last name during conversations.

The changes that followed, where you could address the top of the tree instead of having to go through 6 middle management, came slowly afterward, and endless was the courses and seminars for officers to learn to interact between the various culture you would meet along the way.

So yes, I believe I know enough about changes in the approaches...

I think you are throwing a lot of honest hard working men, and women under the bus, by suggesting that just one way works, and any other way are run by corruption and deceive/fooling people into believing in corruption...

Corruption runs just as deep in 'the modern approach' as it does everywhere else. 

In the end somebody make the decision....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, higgyfan said:

It isn't about age; it's about adapting to the changes in hockey.  JR is surely old school, but he

knows that the complete package of that era, will never fit into the current environment.  He

put a frontman out there (Alvin), who can smooth out his rough edges and add a more

modern approach. 

The same goes for Tocchet, but he has adapted a coaching style that fits very well to the

current game.  That is why he can engage his players so well.  He looks at his players as

individuals and (imo) his mission to help them play their best hockey, is genuine.

Don't disagree, but JR is hard as nails, when it comes to doing things. 

Its not that long ago half of then CDC, CFF, where almost in tears over the treatment of Bruce...

He may have adapted somewhat, but JR is still old school. Allvin on the other hand is the modern face of the group, and he talks the talk most can relate to. 

But I don't for a second believe nothing of the old school steeliness of JR hasn't rubbed off on Allvin.

Where they really have been innovative, is by creating one of, if not the, biggest front offices in the NHL. It remains to be seen if it will be a success, but it's a huge turn around from the Benning era, with him alone running the show. 

Not sure why he didn't get more help to run the club... who knows. 

Don't care neither... life is good now under the new management.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

37 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Don't disagree, but JR is hard as nails, when it comes to doing things. 

Its not that long ago half of then CDC, CFF, where almost in tears over the treatment of Bruce...

He may have adapted somewhat, but JR is still old school. Allvin on the other hand is the modern face of the group, and he talks the talk most can relate to. 

But I don't for a second believe nothing of the old school steeliness of JR hasn't rubbed off on Allvin.

Where they really have been innovative, is by creating one of, if not the, biggest front offices in the NHL. It remains to be seen if it will be a success, but it's a huge turn around from the Benning era, with him alone running the show. 

Not sure why he didn't get more help to run the club... who knows. 

Don't care neither... life is good now under the new management.

I agree what you have said with regard to JR.  Adapting for JR, is when he stepped back from

the media and promoted Alvin to his rightful place.  When it comes to 'old school steeliness,'

I think it still has a role in most NHL team top management.

Imo, the most significant changes, are the wealth of skill and experience they have brought

onto the coaching team and the importance of utilizing the AHL team to develop prospects.

They seem to have done a terrific upgrade on the scouting department as well.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, spook007 said:

Please enlighten me what is so different between Greens and Tocchets coaching? I actually think Green was very much a players guy, and the style of hockey he wanted to be played, looked a lot like the coaching of Tocchet. 

Babcock has nothing to do with the Canucks, and find it distasteful you bring him into our universe... He was/is an idiot.

As for modern approach of leading companies, I'm old enough to know how this works and started. 

The company I worked for for 28 years were one of the first to change the tone from Sir to you and first name instead of last name during conversations.

The changes that followed, where you could address the top of the tree instead of having to go through 6 middle management, came slowly afterward, and endless was the courses and seminars for officers to learn to interact between the various culture you would meet along the way.

So yes, I believe I know enough about changes in the approaches...

I think you are throwing a lot of honest hard working men, and women under the bus, by suggesting that just one way works, and any other way are run by corruption and deceive/fooling people into believing in corruption...

Corruption runs just as deep in 'the modern approach' as it does everywhere else. 

In the end somebody make the decision....

For me Bennings way smells corruption.

Regarding Green, it was that he allowed Utica to be a sesspool instead of what Abby has become now.

Why didn’t Green an Benning make those changes back then? 

The way Abby and the Canucks align is also a modern approach.

How coaches interact with younger generation to really develop the players for this million dollar business.

I’ll rest my case due to Allvins complete makeover of this organisation from the Benning tears. 

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

Regarding Green, it was that he allowed Utica to be a sesspool instead of what Abby has become now.

How coaches interact with younger generation to really develop the players for this million dollar business.

I’ll rest my case due to Allvins complete makeover of this organisation from the Benning tears. 

I've seen zero evidence Benning was corrupt. 

I think the real problem was both Benning and Green didn't have any experience. They didn't have anyone to guide them. The only President during their tenure was as new to it all as they were. 

All in all a recipe for disaster... it was letting the blind lead the blind...

I don't think Green was poor at interacting with you ger players neither. 
Don't recall hearing any stories about Petey, Hughes or Brock etc complain about Green. 
One of his biggest problem was not changing out Baumer for a competent assistant. 
Its not as if was given anywhere close to as good as roster Tocchet has.
If Tocchet don't think a player is good enough, they can now afford to leave them to stew 1 or 2 seasons more. Our pool was never this deep under Benning. 

Anyway, this is not a defence of Benning or Green, as all I care about is icing a winning team. 
And again the turn around under JR/PA is nothing short of miraculous. 

PS. And maybe leave this discussion now, or take it somewhere else, away from the Hunter section. 

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

what is so different between Greens and Tocchets coaching? I actually think Green was very much a players guy, and the style of hockey he wanted to be played, looked a lot like the coaching of Tocchet. 

I seem to remember Green winning a few playoff rounds with a team that had no business being in the playoffs at all.

• Thanks 1
  • ThereItIs 1

You guys are talking about differences but our head of amateur scouting has stayed the same: Todd Harvey. 

I want to say that our OHL scouts haven't changed either but maybe someone can correct me on this.  

Hunter and Kuryatsev have been great OHL picks and even guys that didn't make it before (Conor Lockhart, etc) generally performed well relative to their draft order. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

You guys are talking about differences but our head of amateur scouting has stayed the same: Todd Harvey. 

I want to say that our OHL scouts haven't changed either but maybe someone can correct me on this.  

Hunter and Kuryatsev have been great OHL picks and even guys that didn't make it before (Conor Lockhart, etc) generally performed well relative to their draft order. 

The difference with Allvin from Benning is the scouts are the ones generating the draft lists and selecting the players. Allvin encourages his scouts’ input. Benning thought he was the smartest scout in the room. 

• ThereItIs 1

13 hours ago, Alflives said:

The difference with Allvin from Benning is the scouts are the ones generating the draft lists and selecting the players. Allvin encourages his scouts’ input. Benning thought he was the smartest scout in the room. 

Canucks are a much deeper org under Rutherford. I found it interesting that Courtnall said he told Aqualini that he had to clean house on the org side. That said Rutherford did keep some of the scouts. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

16 hours ago, LillStrimma said:

Player development is something that is very weird in hockey.   So many different leagues and situations. 
So many different voices in the players ears.
We have kind of just run camps, told kids what to work on and where can, check in on them here and there. What a weird way to have to run athlete development. 
Really most of these guys you are looking at small tweaks and adjustments and that needs hands on time and very specialized coaching sometimes, which you can’t really do for a few years until these kids get to AHL or NHL (which is NOT the place to be developing for the vast majority). 
Would drive me crazy as an exec the lack of control over these young draftees for the first couple and most important years of their athletic development. Building good habits on and off the ice is hard and the older the athlete the harder it is. 

• Upvote 1

On 12/28/2023 at 2:39 PM, LillStrimma said:

hey hey now, you keep dissing Benning, somebody is going to be posting Chris Gears interview to put you in your place. Or try at least LOL

Edited by filthy animal

On 12/28/2023 at 7:17 AM, Bob Long said:

Interesting.... I don't see why age is a factor, if someone has a learning and innovation mind set they usually have that for life. 

I just think we're lucky to have a competent group. Still feels weird.

We're just so numb from bad things happening, we keep hoping for the best, but expecting the wheels to fall off.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Canucks prospect Hunter Brzustewicz sets career high in points while leading the OHL scoring race

image.png.363f3858d8116135c812395433b4b866.png

Canucks prospect Hunter Brzustewicz sets career high in points while leading the OHL scoring race

© Anne-Marie Sorvin-USA TODAY Sports

"With the assist, Brzustewicz has officially set a new career-high with 58 points in 37 games. This achievement comes in 31 games fewer than the 57 points he contributed last season as an OHL rookie".

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Sophomore Jinx said:

image.png.363f3858d8116135c812395433b4b866.png

© Anne-Marie Sorvin-USA TODAY Sports

"With the assist, Brzustewicz has officially set a new career-high with 58 points in 37 games. This achievement comes in 31 games fewer than the 57 points he contributed last season as an OHL rookie".

What does this mean?  Does Hunter have a chance to be a top 4 dman?  Leading scorer in the OHL as a dman is ridiculous.

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, QuinnNorris said:

What does this mean?  Does Hunter have a chance to be a top 4 dman?  Leading scorer in the OHL as a dman is ridiculous.

Pre-draft some writers thought he should go late 1st round. I saw him on another ranking as the 7th best drafted prospect in the world. Given his draft +1 season his upside is very high. I think there is a relatively high probability he becomes a top 4 and he has a chance of being something even greater