Hunter Brzustewicz | D

11 hours ago, QuinnNorris said:

What does this mean?  Does Hunter have a chance to be a top 4 dman?  Leading scorer in the OHL as a dman is ridiculous.

IMO he was the diamond heist of the 2023 draft...he is one to keep a close eye on, and one to be very optimistic about...same goes for Kudryavtsev, he was an amazing pick and find in the 7th round of the 2022 draft...I'm very high on those two.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, QuinnNorris said:

What does this mean?  Does Hunter have a chance to be a top 4 dman?  Leading scorer in the OHL as a dman is ridiculous.

I decided to go back and start looking at d-men that finished in the top 20 of OHL scoring...  

2019-20 Noel Hoefenmeyer (D+3 year ... 15th) 

2018-19 nobody 

2017-18 Evan Bouchard (draft year ... 8th), Nic Hague (D+1 year... 18th) 

2016-17 Darren Raddysh (D+3 year ... 14th), Santino Centorame (D+3 year ... 20th) 

2015-16 nobody 

2014-15 Tony DeAngelo (D+1 year ... 13th) 

In terms of how impressive Hunter's season is, I'd put him second behind Evan Bouchard even if he only finishes in the top 10 of league scoring.  

He is a direct comparison to Tony DeAngelo IMO.  Very similar in size, and both offensively minded. 

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, AatuD2 said:

I decided to go back and start looking at d-men that finished in the top 20 of OHL scoring...  

2018-19 nobody 

2016-17 Darren Raddysh (D+3 year ... 14th), Santino Centorame (D+3 year ... 20th) 

2015-16 nobody 

In terms of how impressive Hunter's season is, I'd put him second behind Evan Bouchard even if he only finishes in the top 10 of league scoring.  

He is a direct comparison to Tony DeAngelo IMO.  Very similar in size, and both offensively minded. 

But not a scum bag! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/1/2024 at 11:33 PM, QuinnNorris said:

If you follow dobber prospects, they have him trending towards becoming a superstar! Will be interesting to see how his game develops in the AHL 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, Rypien-Punch said:

If you follow dobber prospects, they have him trending towards becoming a superstar! Will be interesting to see how his game develops in the AHL 

Have to be really pleased with how Allvin allows his scouts to make the choices of whiner draft. So much better than what went on with the previous regime. 

• Cheers 3
  • ThereItIs 1

12 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

2018-19 nobody 

2015-16 nobody 

So far Bouchard, DeAngelo, Hague and maybe Raddysh has made it... only two doesn't seem to have broken through.... Good chance Hunter will... What a boost that would be.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

So far Bouchard, DeAngelo, Hague and maybe Raddysh has made it... only two doesn't seem to have broken through.... Good chance Hunter will... What a boost that would be.

The other two that haven't made it only finished in the top 20 in their D+3 years... So I'd put those seasons on the very bottom of how impressive they are. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

The other two that haven't made it only finished in the top 20 in their D+3 years... So I'd put those seasons on the very bottom of how impressive they are. 

Definitely agree on that.

My point was more towards it being very likely we have a player on our hand. A RHD drafted in the 3rd round on top of that... now that is massive.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Exactly. And he only turned 19, what... a month ago? 

Yet, he's overaged? 

Anyway, you bring up a great point. He's doing this as an 18 year old who just turned 19. 

People need to allow him to become the best he can be, instead of questioning whether or not he'll turn out better than anyone of us could have hoped for. 

It's ridiculous, unnecessary speculation. (pretty much like the majority of journalists, generating click-bait) 

And on that note, who knows? He may not develop into the player we should hope he will be. 

But at least appreciate the fact that he's showing a LOT of potential. 

That's something to look forward to. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

Exactly. And he only turned 19, what... a month ago? 

Yet, he's overaged? 

Anyway, you bring up a great point. He's doing this as an 18 year old who just turned 19. 

People need to allow him to become the best he can be, instead of questioning whether or not he'll turn out better than anyone of us could have hoped for. 

It's ridiculous, unnecessary speculation. (pretty much like the majority of journalists, generating click-bait) 

And on that note, who knows? He may not develop into the player we should hope he will be. 

But at least appreciate the fact that he's showing a LOT of potential. 

That's something to look forward to. 

I think that Hunter is an easy late 1st rounder in a redraft.  

Tony DeAngelo (without personality!) And Ryan Ellis (without injuries) are great comparables! 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, AatuD2 said:

Tony DeAngelo (without personality!) And Ryan Ellis (without injuries) are great comparables! 

I'd be very happy if Hunter didn't have DeAngleo's personality. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AatuD2 said:

From what I've read, he was supposed to have been drafted 20 - 32 in the draft. 

How he slipped through till the 3rd, who knows. 

But thankfully, we snagged him. Who knows how it will all play out, but he's looking pretty damn good. 

And he's ours!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Barn Burner said:

From what I've read, he was supposed to have been drafted 20 - 32 in the draft. 

How he slipped through till the 3rd, who knows. 

But thankfully, we snagged him. Who knows how it will all play out, but he's looking pretty damn good. 

And he's ours!

Believe it had something to do with injuries...

May be wrong. Memory box not always as hood as it used to be 😂😂

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Believe it had something to do with injuries...

May be wrong. Memory box not always as hood as it used to be 😂😂

Yes, a shoulder injury that set him back when he joined the US National Development Team.

There's an article somewhere in the back pages of this thread.  He lost his ability to play

the offensive game, but adapted to a more defensive style to play on the team.  In his

draft year he improved his offence, but not good enough to be recognized by the scouts.

This season, he is returning to form, which is making the Canucks very happy.

• Like 1

Just now, higgyfan said:

Yes, a shoulder injury that set him back when he joined the US National Development Team.

There's an article somewhere in the back pages of this thread.  He lost his ability to play

the offensive game, but adapted to a more defensive style to play on the team.  In his

draft year he improved his offence, but not good enough to be recognized by the scouts.

This season, he is returning to form, which is making the Canucks very happy.

Cheers Higgy... Great that somebody has better memory than me 🙂

Yes this has been a huge surprise...

There were a fair few posters happy with the pick, but even they will have been amazed at his production...

There are still some talk about his defensive abilities, I believe, but if he can overcome that, its another homerun...

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, spook007 said:

Cheers Higgy... Great that somebody has better memory than me 🙂

Yes this has been a huge surprise...

There were a fair few posters happy with the pick, but even they will have been amazed at his production...

There are still some talk about his defensive abilities, I believe, but if he can overcome that, its another homerun...

I like that he spent a season with the development team playing as a defensive dman (due to injury).

Shows that he can adapt to new ways of playing the game.  Apparently he is very coachable.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AatuD2 said:

Pre draft some writers had him going late first round. His best comp is Oliver Bonk who went 22 and has 30 points.

i think he goes top 10 - one 3rd party writer had him ranked as the #7th best drafted prospect not in the NHL.

Draft position creates bias. If he picked Hunter 10th overall and Willander 11th and their D+1 seasons went the way they have I don’t think a many people would be putting Willander ahead of him

Edited by Canucklehead44
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

His assist totals is the crazy part, he's on pace for 80-90 of them.  15 more assists than the next closest player, currently

15 more points than any other d in the ohl and has more than triple the points 60 than the next highest scoring d on his kitchener team who has 19.  

1 hour ago, Canucklehead44 said:

Pre draft some writers had him going late first round. His best comp is Oliver Bonk who went 22 and has 30 points.

i think he goes top 10 - one 3rd party writer had him ranked as the #7th best drafted prospect not in the NHL.

Draft position creates bias. If he picked Hunter 10th overall and Willander 11th and their D+1 seasons went the way they have I don’t think a many people would be putting Willander ahead of him

Willander was drafted for his overall, 200 foot game so not an absolutely accurate comparable between the two of them, going into the draft at least.

That said, it will be interesting to see how these two look when they are on the ice together next summer during the prospect sessions in summer and how they look when they both get into camp in a year or two. It takes more than just offense to be effective in the NHL, but Brzustewicz has been showing some pretty good defensive coverage this season as well.

Really nice to have a few prospects with the type of potential that our current guys have.

Willander

Brzustewicz

D-Pettersson

Lekkerimaki

Kudryavtsev

Mynio

....and those are just the ones outside the AHL development funnel right now and I probably missed a few who could e added in here, Celebrini and Truscott for example.

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2024 at 8:02 PM, AatuD2 said:

2018-19 nobody 

2015-16 nobody 

That's not a good track record then.  Hague is the only guy out of that group who turned into a legit NHLer.  He really needs to concentrate on his defensive play if he wants to make it.

Edited by King Heffy

On 1/2/2024 at 12:25 AM, Sophomore Jinx said:

IMO he was the diamond heist of the 2023 draft...he is one to keep a close eye on, and one to be very optimistic about...same goes for Kudryavtsev, he was an amazing pick and find in the 7th round of the 2022 draft...I'm very high on those two.

why are you high on Kudryavtsev - our 7th round pick? Those guys rarely make it.