Hunter Brzustewicz | D

On 1/21/2024 at 12:47 AM, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Yes, he's drinking Assist Juice.  He should try Goal Juice next.  It's even better!

Former Canuck Adam Gaudette currently leads the AHL in goal scoring.  He stole some of that juice & converted it to goal juice.

• Haha 1

Just a fun little stat I'm watching for for HB:

He's actually on pace (projected pace as of today 67GP 101P) for just the 2nd 100+ point season by an OHL dman since 1995-96. That pace also puts him 1 point ahead of the only other player to do it, Ryan Ellis with 58GP and 100 points in 2010-11.

Could be a pretty historic season for the 3rd round pick :classic_ninja:

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Canuckpuckluck1 said:

Im ok if he is like either of them...both have value and play NHL, Im more concerned he becomes a Rathbone.

if he's more like Barrie, I'd definitely look at moving him now if it was the difference in a major deal. 

If he's actually a good defender its a harder issue. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

31 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

if he's more like Barrie, I'd definitely look at moving him now if it was the difference in a major deal. 

If he's actually a good defender its a harder issue. 

Will HB be worth more in trade value than at this TDL? If he’s the key to get us EK, for example, it’s crazy not to use him for that end, no? 

4 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Will HB be worth more in trade value than at this TDL? If he’s the key to get us EK, for example, it’s crazy not to use him for that end, no? 

I think so, but he seems to be a fan favourite here. Might be a lot of upset folks if we move him out now. 

I think we're covered on smaller puck movers for the next 3-4 seasons, and he seems like someone we'd be selling from a position of strength. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think so, but he seems to be a fan favourite here. Might be a lot of upset folks if we move him out now. 

I think we're covered on smaller puck movers for the next 3-4 seasons, and he seems like someone we'd be selling from a position of strength. 

Totally agree. There’s no spot for him on our big club. If HB is the key to getting a top six player then he’s gone. 

• Haha 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I don’t think so. He’s cost controlled for 3 years and will be playing at a discount throughout the RFA years. I’d say we have him for 3 years, then they’ll look to flip him or Quinn, depending on what direction it looks like Hughes is going to go in the last year or two of his contract. 

Imagine having 2 highly skilled puck moving Defenseman 1 on each pairing in the top 4 for under 8 million combined? And then we’re probably facing a future where Hronek, Zadorov, Myers and Cole are gone in the next year or two. HB will definitely be a successor to them. 

1 hour ago, Iron Man said:

Is HB on the list of untouchables as far as trades go?

At this point I'd say he has to be right? RHD are a rare thing. I'd get him in the AHL next year then go from there. Defs not included in trade for rental but maybe for long term player like Crouse or EK

14 hours ago, Northern_Nuck said:

I don’t think so. He’s cost controlled for 3 years and will be playing at a discount throughout the RFA years. I’d say we have him for 3 years, then they’ll look to flip him or Quinn, depending on what direction it looks like Hughes is going to go in the last year or two of his contract. 

Imagine having 2 highly skilled puck moving Defenseman 1 on each pairing in the top 4 for under 8 million combined? And then we’re probably facing a future where Hronek, Zadorov, Myers and Cole are gone in the next year or two. HB will definitely be a successor to them. 

His ppg is tantalizing for sure. I suspect it comes down to how he is evaluated by Canuck scouts and how he projects as a NHL'er. That would be measured against possible trade targets. At such a young age the room for error is huge. 

• ThereItIs 1

The organization finally understands to start drafting positions we've been historically weak in. And of course people want to trade them.

If the team was patient we could have had a player like Forsling right now.

Maybe we should learn to develop our players so we don't have to pay crazy assets to get them?

I know everyone likes trades. But maybe being patient will reap better rewards.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

The organization finally understands to start drafting positions we've been historically weak in. And of course people want to trade them.

If the team was patient we could have had a player like Forsling right now.

Maybe we should learn to develop our players so we don't have to pay crazy assets to get them?

I know everyone likes trades. But maybe being patient will reap better rewards.

I think "willing for the right deal" is not the same as want to. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

I would rank our assets outside the NHL this way:

Lekkerimaki

Willander

Podkolzin

2024 1st pick(very late round)

2025 1st pick

DPetey

Raty

Brustewicz

Silovs

I don't think Allvin and Rutherford will hesitate for 1 second to trade anyone below Willander if they think it will make a big enough difference to a deep playoff run.  In fact, with Lekkerimaki and Willander I think they might still make the deal, but they will just hesitate a lot more.

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, DixonWard said:

Lekkerimaki

Willander

Podkolzin

2025 1st pick

DPetey

Raty

Brustewicz

Silovs

I don't think Allvin and Rutherford will hesitate for 1 second to trade anyone below Willander if they think it will make a big enough difference to a deep playoff run.  In fact, with Lekkerimaki and Willander I think they might still make the deal, but they will just hesitate a lot more.

I agree outside of a name like Sydney Crosby (which isint happening) you won’t see our 2 blue chips get moved 

4 hours ago, DixonWard said:

Lekkerimaki

Willander

Podkolzin

2025 1st pick

DPetey

Raty

Brustewicz

Silovs

I think D-Petey because he's one of the closer guys to playing in the AHL or NHL would not be on the block unless it's a crazy deal.

Same goes for Brz and Silovs, Silovs will probably be a NHL back up sooner than later. Hunter Brz and Silovs would be traded only if we get a massive player in return.