Hunter Brzustewicz | D

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I think D-Petey because he's one of the closer guys to playing in the AHL or NHL would not be on the block unless it's a crazy deal.

Same goes for Brz and Silovs, Silovs will probably be a NHL back up sooner than later. Hunter Brz and Silovs would be traded only if we get a massive player in return.

I hope he becomes a top flight nhl dman, but you have to look at the fact that he didn't even make the US WJC team and that he was still around in the 3rd round to see that he is not as highly regarded as Canucks' fans want to believe.  I agree with Alf that he may never be more valuable as an asset than he is right now.  I really like him and he is a great story this season in the OHL, but if he can be the chip that gets us the guy we need, Allvin will trade him before you can say Brusztewicz!

Prospects do not have a huge amount of market value, unless they are first overall Lindross types. Dumping one like Bruz with a lot of upside potential, packaged with other assets to get some short term help, strikes me as being about the same as trying to sell produce a month before it's ripe. Like something an armchair GM might want to do, but most real GMs would not.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DixonWard said:

I hope he becomes a top flight nhl dman, but you have to look at the fact that he didn't even make the US WJC team and that he was still around in the 3rd round to see that he is not as highly regarded as Canucks' fans want to believe.  I agree with Alf that he may never be more valuable as an asset than he is right now.  I really like him and he is a great story this season in the OHL, but if he can be the chip that gets us the guy we need, Allvin will trade him before you can say Brusztewicz!

The USA WJC team was basically players in the USA system.  They were given preference.

• Cheers 2

11 hours ago, Boudrias said:

His ppg is tantalizing for sure. I suspect it comes down to how he is evaluated by Canuck scouts and how he projects as a NHL'er. That would be measured against possible trade targets. At such a young age the room for error is huge. 

I stand corrected. I’m blown away. 

3 hours ago, WeneedLumme said:

Prospects do not have a huge amount of market value, unless they are first overall Lindross types. Dumping one like Bruz with a lot of upside potential, packaged with other assets to get some short term help, strikes me as being about the same as trying to sell produce a month before it's ripe. Like something an armchair GM might want to do, but most real GMs would not.

Well, this didn't age well

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Wiggums said:

Well, this didn't age well

The guy was touted as a late 1rst to 2nd round target. Actually insane that a RHD like that made it to us in the 3rd round. But the way he’s performing I think teams would look at him as a valued recent 1rst round quality.

8 hours ago, flickyoursedin said:

The guy was touted as a late 1rst to 2nd round target. Actually insane that a RHD like that made it to us in the 3rd round. But the way he’s performing I think teams would look at him as a valued recent 1rst round quality.

It could come back to bite the Canucks but PA had to weigh the immediate upside with Lindholm, the expectations of his young core, and the evaluation by his scouts on where Hunter might develop to. A hard call. I suspect he was the deciding point for Calgary. Kuz could be a wash for them and they have to pay for an extra year. Low 1st rdr and a d-man in Finland. If Canucks go deep in the SC it will be forgotten.

• Cheers 2

I wish him all the best. Hurts a bit to see him gone as he seems to have a lot of potential, but clearly that potential also helped us to turn the tide to get Lindholm.

It'll be interesting to look back on this trade in a few years and HB's one of the reasons why it'll be interesting.

Edited by The Lock

13 hours ago, Boudrias said:

It could come back to bite the Canucks but PA had to weigh the immediate upside with Lindholm, the expectations of his young core, and the evaluation by his scouts on where Hunter might develop to. A hard call. I suspect he was the deciding point for Calgary. Kuz could be a wash for them and they have to pay for an extra year. Low 1st rdr and a d-man in Finland. If Canucks go deep in the SC it will be forgotten.

Well if the Canucks can sign Lindholm passed this season and it’s not an albatross of a contract even if Brzustewicz turns out good, a top 6 center like Lindholm that does everything has tons of value. Gotta give to get. We basically traded for Horvat back. Lindholm should hover around 70+ points a year maybe more in our lineup while playing solid defencively from the center position with 55+% faceoff wins.

Edited by flickyoursedin

1 minute ago, flickyoursedin said:

Well if the Canucks can sign Lindholm passed this season and it’s not an albatross of a contract even if Brzustewicz turns out good a top 6 center that does everything has value. We basically traded for Horvat back. Lindholm should hover around 70+ points a year maybe more in our lineup while playing solid defencively from the center position with 55+% faceoff wins.

Not to be "that guy" but he's a defenseman.

One more tidbit of information, or at least something I found a little interesting. I looked up Pittsburgh and Carolina and their picks while Rutherford was in charge of each team. He did well in Carolina in the 1st round; however, he doesn't seem to score a lot outside of the 1st round.

This isn't to say HB couldn't be the exception, but it is an interesting tidbit when we consider things like picks and prospects in the later rounds.